bathoz

Ranked Season 6: Back to Seven

195 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

What ships were you running? I'd like to use the Belfast but I refuse to buy it until it goes on sale. I'm rank 10 but have probably only put 15 games or so into ranked so far this season. I think I have the Saipan, Scharnhorst, Blyskawica, Indianapolis, Atlanta, and Sims to use. Used exclusively the Sims to get to rank 1 a couple seasons ago, but radar is far more prevalent now and there doesn't seem to be as many DD users this ranked season either.

I used almost exclusively Scharnhorst up to rank 5 (see my explanation a few posts back).  After that I was disappointed in the average destroyer play on my teams, as players were much more conservative and less apt to spotting when needed.  I swtiched to Sims and had a lower winrate than my earlier Scharn run, but I felt it better suited what I was able to do with it in the higher ranks.  It's also trivially easy to have top XP on your team in a Sims and keep the star if you end up losing, just by grabbing an early cap and getting some solid damage in against enemy destroyers.

Saipan is great for ranked but carrier queues are rare so you'll wait too long between games.  Most of the dedicated carrier players that are good enough to rank out have already done so.  Belfast is Belfast; it sets the meta for this season, and you're probably good enough to carry in it when needed, just don't get caught by Shira torps or spotted by a battleship outside of smoke.

10 hours ago, Mesrith said:

Belfast is Belfast; it sets the meta for this season, and you're probably good enough to carry in it when needed, just don't get caught by Shira torps or spotted by a battleship outside of smoke.

I normally pop my Hydro when I pop smoke, so that has cut down on getting torped in smoke, but I still get blapped if I get to close to the BB's and don't have cover close by.  Figuring out how to bait radar cruisers is a useful skill, getting them to put up their radar too soon can save a lot of HP for you.

Did 4 games yesterday at rank 10 to get that speed boost module at 9. Won 2, then lost one but hoped to be top tier when our Gneisenau rammed the full helath enemy to death and manage to be one point ahead of me in exp...

Last game I was alone vs 4 and enemy had all two caps but we had a good points lead. I won that by killing 3 of the 4 and then running away.

Shiratsuyu is pretty good for ranked.

12 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

What ships were you running? I'd like to use the Belfast but I refuse to buy it until it goes on sale. I'm rank 10 but have probably only put 15 games or so into ranked so far this season. I think I have the Saipan, Scharnhorst, Blyskawica, Indianapolis, Atlanta, and Sims to use. Used exclusively the Sims to get to rank 1 a couple seasons ago, but radar is far more prevalent now and there doesn't seem to be as many DD users this ranked season either.

I made the mistake of going right into ranked with my new Belfast and regret it- just getting used to all the hotkeys, when to pop what, the maneuverability, gun arcs etc. 

Sims and Scharney will likely be my go-tos until rank 4-5ish. Going to be doing lots of ranked this weekend. 

On 3/3/2017 at 7:03 AM, Mesrith said:

Scharnhorst is fine if you're good in the ship.  I used it for all but 4 of my games to get to Rank 5 and had a 91% win rate in it up to that point.  If you're good with the guns, it's excellent at killing destroyers, does good damage against cruisers (although you won't get one-salvo kills as often as Nagato), and beats other battleships in a battle of attrition while moving into close range for torps and secondaries.  It's also the best battleship for making a Belfast fuck off from its smoke or die.

I've played a lot more Sims after Rank 5, but that's due to the poor destroyer play my teams were getting.

So I have a Scharn that I got in an Xmas bundle but I don't even have one game in it. Especially for ranked, what range are you engaging at?  I get that it can get a little closer since Nagato and Colorado especially get burned to death too easily at mid range. I have a 12-pt captain in my German BB line, so that's not much of a problem.

Would love any tips.  I like running my nagato and do fine supporting from range in it, but honestly would prefer a more brawley playstyle fir ranked. 

On 3/2/2017 at 9:23 PM, SoliDeoGloria said:

That's your fault for being an idiot and not running anti-det flags on a DD. Especially in ranked. In ranked all my ships get detonation flags, because fuck RNG.

I swear WG has some bullshit manipulation of RNG in their code.  Like computer catch up mode in old console games and racing games.  I had a 7 game win streak that went to shit after that detonation, then I start using flag as I realized my mistake before I even read this reply.  Next game a DD teammate gets detonated on 1st shot as only DD on team......WG RNGesus sucks.  

What ship type do you find impacts ranked matches most?  I generally play DD just because I generally do better in them and hate the ones who don't smoke or do stupid shit.  I generally just play DD and CAs to begin with, but I think you could make just as much impact killing enemy DDs with radar/hydro.  Ultimately, even playing a good DD game, I feel like it comes down to if your BBs took advantage of the situations you gave them or not though, with cruisers just being there for DD defense and the rare carrier game.  

On 3/2/2017 at 9:23 PM, SoliDeoGloria said:

That's your fault for being an idiot and not running anti-det flags on a DD. Especially in ranked. In ranked all my ships get detonation flags, because fuck RNG.

I swear WG has some bullshit manipulation of RNG in their code.  Like computer catch up mode in old console games and racing games.  I had a 7 game win streak that went to shit after that detonation, then I start using flag as I realized my mistake before I even read this reply.  Next game a DD teammate gets detonated on 1st shot as only DD on team......WG RNGesus sucks.  

What ship type do you find impacts ranked matches most?  I generally play DD just because I generally do better in them and hate the ones who don't smoke or do stupid shit.  I generally just play DD and CAs to begin with, but I think you could make just as much impact killing enemy DDs with radar/hydro.  Ultimately, even playing a good DD game, I feel like it comes down to if your BBs took advantage of the situations you gave them or not though, with cruisers just being there for DD defense and the rare carrier game.  

DDs definitely have an impact, carriers are arguably the most influential, but unless one team has an exceptionally better or worse player, they can balance each other.

8 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

carriers are arguably the most influential

I would argue that. CV role this season is incredibly passive unless one potatoe in your team runs off alone. You basically spot for torps and thats it. Trying to drop into a cluster of Scharnhorsts/Gneisenaus/Fijis/Belfasts is pure suicide and because of the smoke meta these stay close enough to the DDs to actually protect these with their AA.

This in turn means that you hardly contribute to your teams damage and the spotting part is often not that useful bc your Dds will be between your team and theirs and do some spotting as well.

I tried to play this season with Hiryu but it is just that mind numbingly boring (in the ranks where people run together on default).

I'm only Tier 13 and it feels like bashing my head against the wall.

Last night, 3 losses to start the night (dropping to 14) then later 2 wins and then 3 Top Losers in a row.

I had a Belfast 2 games in a row that just hid as far away from the enemy as possible.  The second game he actually parked next to the CV and declared he was "Protecting the CV".  A couple minutes later the enemy CV STILL manages to torp and kill our CV

1 hour ago, NightmareMk9 said:

I'm only Tier 13 and it feels like basing my head against the wall.

Last night, 3 losses to start the night (dropping to 14) then later 2 wins and then 3 Top Losers in a row.

I had a Belfast 2 games in a row that just hid as far away from the enemy as possible.  The second game he actually parked next to the CV and declared he was "Protecting the CV".  A couple minutes later the enemy CV STILL manages to torp and kill our CV

It's pretty typical this late in the season after all the good/dedicated players have ground their way to rank one. I tried the other night to advance past rank 10 only to end up at 11 for my trouble. lol

One game in particular was a heartbreak because it was a 2v2 and we were ahead on points. I was in an Atlanta and the other friendly cruiser was a myoko. The opposition was a Colorado and a Myoko. All we had to do was defend our cap and run out the clock but the friendly Myoko starts chasing the enemy Myoko because he had an HP advantage. I said 'stop. fall back.' but he ignored me and pushed into a position where he gave his side to the Colorado and got deleted in one salvo. :( 

On the contrary, yesterday I played 7 games, went from 15 to 13, 4 star gain. I noticed that a lot of people don't want to play as a team, in one of the 2 losses, a benson friendly torped an akatsuki, right beside him. The cruisers didn't want my smoke, even while getting shot by BBs, what is with these people?

Yeah, I feel like the all the tryhards in ranked right now are just the type of player who thinks "playing the numbers" is a winning strat ("my team will carry me eventually...") and are thus the shake left at the bottom of this season's bag.  Tragically, as one of the few remaining nugs of sticky weed, I have to roll these twigs and seeds into a smokeable joint. 

With the risk of being a bit too cheeky; I think that you'd might be able to increase win rates, if you didn't play cruisers. People like the Myoko, which Rodrigo mentioned above, are plentyfold, so with unreliable people like that in your team you benefit from the staying power, ability to take and hold positions and ability to punish the retarded broadsiding cruisers, which some BBs offer.

I went from rank 21 (?) to rank 9 in 27 battles, while playing the Nagato (21 games) to rank 10, and then later grabbing rank 9 in a Scharnhorst (5 out of 6 games were wins). I'm not a unicum like some of the posters here, but I'm semi-proficient at tier 7, which was enough to help most teams win.

Ranked stats

My winrate in the Shiratsuyu for ranked is 80%...

This ship is just insane. Camo is godly, it's quite maneuverable. Guns are actually really good with good alpha and dpm isn't totally terrible (traverse and arcs suck though but you can work around that). The torps are insane for tier VII and the ability to spam 16 of them within 5secs is simply OP (I expect WG will nerf the reload booster to something in the region of 30 secs).

Also the speed boost module is really really good on her. Speed boost now lasts 2 minutes during which you go 39 knots and be faster than USN DDs.

My last two games were over 100k with 2 and 4 kills plus a cap and an assist cap each...

I can relate to this title now. Derank "back to seven".

9V - 4D in Gneisenau

Hit rank 6 but got derank next game, so once again I'm one star away from rank six again.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:00 AM, Jaegaer said:

My winrate in the Shiratsuyu for ranked is 80%...

This ship is just insane. Camo is godly, it's quite maneuverable. Guns are actually really good with good alpha and dpm isn't totally terrible (traverse and arcs suck though but you can work around that). The torps are insane for tier VII and the ability to spam 16 of them within 5secs is simply OP (I expect WG will nerf the reload booster to something in the region of 30 secs).

Also the speed boost module is really really good on her. Speed boost now lasts 2 minutes during which you go 39 knots and be faster than USN DDs.

My last two games were over 100k with 2 and 4 kills plus a cap and an assist cap each...

I could never get that ship to perform correctly, which kind of surprised me because historically speaking tend to do pretty well with IJN DDs. Along with the Pensacola one of the few ships I have 'rage sold.' lol

I'm finding the Leberecht Maass to be a VERY good ship in ranked so far. Most health of any tier seven DD, fast firing guns similar to the Mahan (slightly less alpha but slightly higher fire chance), solid torpedoes, maneuverable, and the hydro acoustic search is very handy in many situations.

D1wEkDN.jpgSsJSgbl.jpgZEnO54j.jpgb9tsRWb.jpg

There's no way I could play that many ranked battles, and I can't believe someone would hit a 49% win rate if they actually botted or AFKd all of them.

Total of 39 games in ranked today with 29 wins and 10 losses (top exp in 4 of the losses). Played 1 game in the Saipan, 2 games in the Blyskawica, 6 games in the Scharnhorst, and 30 games in the Maass. Rank 10 to rank 4, so progress being made.

My ping puts me somewhere around a TLI burn to the Moon.... :wave:

11 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Total of 39 games in ranked today with 29 wins and 10 losses (top exp in 4 of the losses). Played 1 game in the Saipan, 2 games in the Blyskawica, 6 games in the Scharnhorst, and 30 games in the Maass. Rank 10 to rank 4, so progress being made.

I wouldn't have thought the Mass would be much good in ranked. 

33 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

I wouldn't have thought the Mass would be much good in ranked. 

The only things it really lacks is good concealment (lowest you can get it down to is 6.8) and good alpha damage (only 1500 but 4 second reload and 5 guns). Having 19,950 health as a tier 7 DD is huge though, along with the Hydro for spotting incoming torps and spotting enemy DDs in smoke.

fuck rank 2 was a bitch to get through

BWJV8Gj.jpg

Got to rank 5 yesterday morning, now time to grind like crazy. Went 0-1-2 to move up.

Using the Blys, up to 18 pts on her. Thinking I should change out for SE though (vs SI) - the extra smoke and boost are handy, but the special boost upgrade mitigates the one. The extra health would be good at offsetting some of the early cap focus effect when things go terribly wrong. Usually avoid that now, since I'm *gone* as soon as it looks like an asskicking is coming, but some teams need to be led by the nose. Or at the very least, I need the cap and a kill to keep my star. :P

Rank 2-5 bracket, already waiting longer than I have previously, don't delay if wanting to move up...