dualmaster333

Europa Universalis IV

140 posts in this topic

New expansion looks dope, Ming had been needing some love for a while. The way the mandate of heaven was implemented before seemed pretty half-assed. Still waiting for Rights of Men to go on sale though, shouldn't be too long now that the new expansion is out...

How is Japan now? I seem to recall that they were fiddling around with the Shinto religion and all that. Does it look like playing as one of the Daimyos is a bit less of a hassle now?

So far I like Mandate of Heaven. The diplo macro builder and building list are great. Thus far the Age and Splendor system seems pretty cool. I'm also more interested in playing something in the east with the new Celestial Empire mechanics.

For some reason I've decided to Ottoblob again. It seems like they've been substantially nerfed in this patch. Their -33% core creation is down to -20%. I'm also remaining Sunni on this playthrough (so I can unite Islam) which means I miss out on the Coptic -10% core creation cost as well. Another significant thing that hasn't gotten much attention is that the number of states has been greatly limited. So despite conquering large swaths of land early on, you quickly run out of states so all that additional territory does not contribute much to your empire.

Since playing Ottomans is generally easy, my goal is to hit a bunch of achievements with this playthrough:

• Unite Islam
  • Sultan of Rum (own Moscow+Rome+Constantinople)
  • Trade Hedgemon (own Aden, Malacca, Hormuz)
  • Master of India
  • Mare Nostrum
  • Silk Road (maybe) (own all silk Provinces)
  • Over a Thousand? (own 1001 provinces)

100 years in:

Noik80B.png

In the north, I've fed plenty of land to Crimea and am a few years out from fully annexing all of that. I've secured Moscow for the achievement and thus don't have much reason to push any farther north.

In the west I've vassaled Fezzan and will feed all of Tunis and Morocco to them to avoid the Berber penalty to core creation. They're diplomatically isolated so it should be easy wars.

To the east I've been slowly taking land. I've completely cleared several of the trade nodes in that direction so pretty soon 100% of the ducats that I dump into the Persian Gulf will end up in Constantinople. I've got a decent chance at being the highest trade node in time for Global Trade to spawn. Particularly if I start pushing in to India.

To the south I might end up taking more of Ethiopia to control the Gulf of Aden trade node - this would be a good point to dump trade in my direction.

That leaves the European front where I need to start breaking through. I've been at peace so much that I actually have zero AE with most European countries. I have Spain, England, and Poland on my side but haven't been able to get them all lined up to fight MY war. So I might have to take a smaller war and only pull one or two of them in. It will probably be against the Papal State+Hungary. That'll get me land in Italy to expand from and I can start feeding Hungary to Wallachia who is already my vassal. Basically I just need to get the ball rolling with making Europe fall apart. In the next 20-30 years the religious leagues should be forming up so hopefully I can take advantage of that to jump a weakened Austria or Spain.

This patch broke my Burgundy game which made me sad.

20170403161144_1.jpg

I had good strong allies with Scandinavia, Bohemia, Ottomans, and Brandenburg and had PUs over Savoy and Russia and had Leichster as a vassal and was finally able to start actually squishing Spain. I didn't even get to have fun with an attack dog Russia because I had just PU'd him.

You should be able to finish that Burgundy game if you roll back to a previous patch, no? Right click on the game in Steam -> Properties -> Beta and you can choose whichever previous patch you created that game on.

Made some more progress this weekend:

JUOldXf.png

On the east side of the empire, I've started slowly pushing into India. It's easy fights but European wars have distracted me. I have two Indian trade companies set up right now with a third one just a war away. Those extra merchants are really helping direct the ducats into Constantinople - with global trade institution just 15 years away I'm currently 20 ducats ahead of the next nearest trade node. Meanwhile in the south I trashed Ethiopia in order to control the Gulf of Aden which lets me direct more ducats to my trade node. I'll probably detach a smallish (50k) army down there to get the East African trade company started.

TTqtqMc.png

In the west things are going pretty smoothly as well. North Africa is essentially conquered (I fed Fezzan to avoid Berber coring prices but I'll be integrating them shortly). I've taken central Italy in two small wars with some Italian states. My buddy Poland keeps pulling me in to beat up Hungary so I've grabbed a few provinces through that.

I also just finished a Spanish beatdown, the first of many. They have lots of Mediterranean provinces I need for Mare Nostrum. An interesting new feature, one of my abilities from the new Age system is reduced warscore cost for opposing religions. This makes it so I can take lots more land in a peace deal, however the overextension is not reduced. This means getting just shy of 100% overextension only requires 60-70% war score. So in this war I actually fed one or two fort provinces to the British in the peace deal - I don't need those lands for the future and that's one less fort I have to take in future wars! Portugal was also in that war so I peaced them out for some land in the Caribbean. I now have a colony over there despite not even having the maps to send my ships that way. I figure I can probably start a small Caribbean fleet+army to seize colonies in future wars which will help generate that war score.

I was going to go beat up India again, but now Austria, my biggest remaining enemy in Europe, is fighting France and Britain. So I'll probably hop in on that little scuffle and smash Austria. I have a lot of AE in Europe already, but given my size and allies, I should be able to avoid any serious coalition through managing truce timers and such.

I can't say I'm particularly fond of the new Ming. The tributary system has transformed them into a near unstoppable superblob with infinite manpower, money, and monarch power. They can easily out-tech the Europeans even with a 250% tech penalty.

25 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

I can't say I'm particularly fond of the new Ming. The tributary system has transformed them into a near unstoppable superblob with infinite manpower, money, and monarch power. They can easily out-tech the Europeans even with a 250% tech penalty.

"Every thousand years, I test each life system in the Universe. I visit it with mysteries, earthquakes, unpredicted eclipses, strange craters in the wilderness... If these are taken as natural, I judge that system ignorant and harmless - I spare it. But if the Hand of Ming is recognized in these events, I judge that system dangerous to us. I call upon the great god Dyzan, and for his greater glory...and for our mutual pleasure...I destroy it utterly."

What really made me sad is when I noticed they were about 20 years ahead in tech, with all available idea groups filled, at the 200-250% tech penalty.

Supposedly things are being changed to make it easier for them to fall apart, but I haven't heard yet what the details are. It does feel weird to go through the game and actually have a large Ming empire in it though.

boesgz7.jpgjg5OQ2B.jpg

Aahh ha ha ha! Who needs your own army when you have almost all of europe vassalized or under a union?

I have three unions; Hungary, Poland, and Lithuania and 62 vassals. I just picked up poland and lithuania when I noticed my dynasty was on their throne and they had no vassal. Because of the number of things I had with them it was a -11 stability hit (though the game doesn't drop below -3).

I've been slowly messing around with a colonial game. Basically I made an 800 point custom nation with ridiculous ideas, replaced all of Portugal's territory so they weren't in the game, then killed off Castille. France and Britain have done a little colonizing, but not a whole lot.

D70PbSx.png

In Europe I've taken over the Genoa trade node and am steering tons of ducats into it. I really didn't want another European war game so I've been avoiding fighting or expanding too much here.

YMqTYFg.png

In Africa, I took enough of the Ivory Coast to steer trade into Sevilla. France still has some land down there but I'll be cleaning that up before too long. I colonized all the land around the cape. France managed to settle some islands in the Indian Ocean and were working east, but I smacked them down and took all the land. Thus I have effectively kept all European nations from colonizing past western Africa. I also conquered enough to completely control the Zanzibar trade node so everything I steer into it heads to Europe.

wqM1Gms.png

This was my first time doing anything in the East Indies and I've learned just how rich the area is. I made a push to colonize most of it while also doing some conquering. Eventually I'll clear out Borneo and possibly Malacca to steer more trade out of this node. Malacca is a tributary under Ming though; I'm feeling too lazy to fight Ming so I might just ignore it. After all, my main focus this game was supposed to be in the Americas:

14e9I1P.png

I've been sealing off land to prevent European powers from getting a hold of too much. I allowed the Brits to get some land on the east coast; I couldn't keep everyone out and the trade value in that area doesn't end up in my trade node anyways. But I've cut them and everyone else off from the interior now so I am free to slowly fill in the gaps. I colonized the Caribbean heavily early on and with the new age bonus that gives +3 development for each new colony they're actually pretty strong. Well, at this point the sum total of all my colonies is pretty strong.

fffo7Bu.png

In South America Scotland has their last remaining land. They are locked in though and won't be expanding anymore. One easy war should clean things up. Then I just have to fill in the interior.

Overall plans involve some wars with GB to claim the rest of NA. In the East Indies I'll grab a little more land, maybe colonize more of the islands and such. But mostly I want to fill in all of the Americas. Good thing I can still turn a sizable profit while maintaining 10 colonies....

20170520001715_1.jpg

I integrated Hungary and am now up to 81 vassals in the HRE with 7 colonial nations (colonial canada and colonial 13 colonies appeared very shortly after this screenshot) and 2 unions. I generate 0.92 IA per month with that. I was hoping I would be able to do a world conquest unfortunately I just don't have the time left in the game to do that (I think I would need about another 50 years) but I should at least be able to fully conquer Europe and India. I did fully conquer France and have push Russia to being just a couple of Siberian provinces and once again the Ottomans have been driving to the island of Formosa. Near the start of the game I moved my capital to Venice because better trade node than Vienna especially if you happen to control Ragusa and Constantinople.

My first war with Spain was a little rough. They had a lot of great power allies so Ming intervened in my favor. This meant there were roughly three million troops (of which my vassal swarm and I make up just under half) all walking around in 10k to 20k stacks and about 500 ships sailing around and my computer was struggling real hard. Also level 8 forts suck sooo much to attack. I've pretty much turned all my armies into siege stacks to seige the forts and let my swarm take care of their troops and the crap in between the forts. Its also nice especially when you are against a weaker opponent you can have four or five wars running really without issue though the swarm tends to focus on one thing super hard but then sometimes just stops. Like oh we're halfway through the country but I think that's enough.

Also in the first picture I did infact just grab all of the coast of India before starting to slide inland. I also never took exploration or expansion so all my colonial nations are just from conquering the various nations that were there, almost always ones that had declared their independence and won. It's their fault really thinking they can derive a mandate by the people instead of by god. Though for all the fighting and conquering I've done over there I've only had one 14-6-16 stack there handling everything so it required almost no large contribution or resources compared to colonizing normally. Also my vassal income is about 125 ducats per month; it's a bit insane.

Upcoming plans: Go to war with Spain with a cobelligerent Portugal. With my troops over near Bengal knock Khmer out early and connect my Indonesian holdings to the Indian Strip. Feed the northern half of spain and portugal to Galicien, Leon, Navarra, and Aragon and steal the Maghreb from Portugal passing it to Savoy and the Papal State (I have 9 diplo rep so I just took the 2 hit and kept him as a vassal). Once that's done wipe out the last province of scotland and release him now as an HRE vassal and feed him back his cores from England. I'll also try to pick up some irish clay and might just let it sit around for a while seeing if I can't get some irish rebels or minor nation rebels to pop before freeing them and they become and HRE prince though to vassalize them I either need to get super chummy or throw a war and wait a couple years and re-revoke the privlidgia. Once Im done with england my truces should be up with the Indian states that I can gobble them up and feed them to my vassals. I also need to invade morocco and mali at some point and eat them.

20170519231225_1.jpg

Also how to tell when the game hates you.

Uh oh, at this rate I'll be out of money in 20 years!

aAeGkJY.png

51 minutes ago, dualmaster333 said:

Uh oh, at this rate I'll be out of money in 20 years!

aAeGkJY.png

That trade income though.

9 hours ago, Inciatus said:

That trade income though.

You mean this trade income?

gs0M8V0.png

1400 light ships is pretty fun........

.......I think I'll get some more..........

50 minutes ago, dualmaster333 said:

You mean this trade income?

gs0M8V0.png

1400 light ships is pretty fun........

.......I think I'll get some more..........

Is it just from the ridiculous pile of light ships that it's that high? I can rarely get my naval limit above 200 granted the last two games I played didn't have a huge amount of coastline being Austria and Poland. The genoa one is pretty more normal. In the poland game I was pulling in about 80 ducts into the baltic trade node just sucking it over from everything to my east through siberia and down into India. 

So did they change something to where treaty relationships above a certain amount don't cost bird mana?

3 minutes ago, MetGreDKo said:

So did they change something to where treaty relationships above a certain amount don't cost bird mana?

They didn't. Though colonial nations, vassals in the HRE after passing revoke the privlidgia, and I think protectorates don't count towards this.

Also how the fuck do you have 25 merchants?

Lots and lots of Colonies, trade companies, and ideas.

8 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Lots and lots of Colonies, trade companies, and ideas.

I forgot about trade companies. I don't have wealth of nations so they've never come into play for me. Apparently there are 15 different trade company regions. I've heard about them before and an earlier version I had had trade company regions marked out in India but they didn't actually do anything.

12 colonial nations, only 6 trade companies, remainder from ideas and such.

The light ships are definitely strong for steering trade. I don't own any land in the eastern Mediterranean and with just merchants directing trade I only get about 10 ducats into Genoa. With ~200 light ships protecting trade I get 42 ducats into Genoa. Given my trade efficiency that's about 65 additional ducats per month while those light ships only cost about 14 ducats each month.

Controlling the right trade nodes is pretty important too. I conquered/settled around the tip of Africa and then in to the East Indies. Because of the control I've forced on all the trade nodes between Malacca and Genoa, over 90% of anything I can dump into Malacca ends up in Genoa. With merchants and light ships I am able to pull 55 ducats from east Asia (despite not having any land there) into Malacca.

For the sake of curiosity, I stopped all my light ships from their protect trade missions. My trade income dropped by 30%. That's 370 ducats the trade ships earn me while costing under 100 ducats a month for a net profit of 270 ducats each month. 

Well my colonial game is on pause for the time being mostly because there isn't much left to do. The entire world is settled minus a few land locked provinces I can't access. I might finish it out just to say I hit the money cap (1200 ducats a month from trade is good!)

iENUr4a.png

I really avoided war in Europe - only made sure to take the entire Genoa trade node to feed mad monies into it. The Commonwealth has gotten pretty big but I haven't cared enough to do anything about it.

xhUiz83.png

The Americas are mine! I really limited the amount of European nations settling there, so the majority of the land was claimed by actually settling it rather than conquering. It really is easier to just steal colonial empires from other nations though.

aHKJvpn.png

I'm in the process of clearing southern Africa. The coastal stuff was for trade control and trade companies. The interior stuff was for the heck of it (more ducats that travel to Genoa!).

tNwVgnS.png

I've taken all of the East Indies. Conquering all this stuff is just so easy and the land is pretty rich while also supplying more trade company merchants. And with that base I can pull plenty of trade out of China as well. I also hopped on a good opportunity to get a foothold in India. By crushing Bahmanis trade power in those nodes I'm able to pull significantly more ducats out of India.

So yeah, I have every colonial nation, a ridiculous trade income, a monster navy, and the ability to do pretty much whatever I want. This campaign taught me quite a bit about colonizing, colonial war, and getting the most out of trade. I didn't realize just how easy it is to form a colonial empire. Just a 20-30k stack with transports and a few war ships is enough to make some significant gains. It's just so easy to stomp the backward nations you meet. Settling around the tip of Africa (or conquering the settlements of other European nations) is a relatively small investment and can lead to significant monetary gains once you reach the East Indies or India.

yZ7cbhJ.png

I've returned to my Ottoman achievements game. I want to finish this and my colonial game before moving to the newest patch.

g9AANuS.png

I've been focused on Europe for the past 20-30 years. There was a big coalition in the way, but it fell apart and now I've been truce locking everyone while getting huge amounts of AE. Things are pretty well under control now. I fed Brandenburg enough to form Prussia. I also have the Brits and Danes as allies. Liege is a vassal and I am slowly feeding Austria to them. Otherwise I've been continually keeping my my overextension near 100%; I start wars with the goal of being ready to peace out as soon as my cores finish. No time to waste! I figure with another 10 years of war Europe will be subdued enough that I can focus elsewhere even if a coalition forms up again.

maAL15w.png

Eastern Theater: India is nearing submission (Mewar is my vassal) for the Master of India achievement. Once I finish up in Europe it will be time to rumble with the Ming. The new Ming seems pretty dumb in most games. In this case they have 200k+ troops, over half of which is mercs, and zero manpower. It seems silly that that is sustainable. I'm not particularly excited about the war just because of how the retard AI fights wars. I can't wait for that 200k army to suddenly show up in Europe...

Anyways, I have a couple reasons to fight the Ming beyond the simple fact I haven't done it in any game yet. Manufactories spawned in southern China and I want the achievement to own all institution provinces. I'm also going for the achievement to own all silk provinces. And if that wasn't enough I want the achievement for owning 1001 provinces (currently 545). I expect a war or two or three and then Ming will be a hollow shell free to abuse at whim.

OoUkjm2.png

I've also been pushing south down the coast of Africa. This will help keep European trade power out of the Gulf of Aden (my critical trade node to get eastern ducats to Genoa). It's also a good area for some small and easy wars to grab provinces for the 1001 achievement. Basically I can leave a modest 50k stack down there and stomp anyone at will whenever I have free OE.

Nope, nothing to worry about Asia. Ottoman is friend yes?

UN5O2QS.png

Last night I did some bad things to Europe. For whatever reason a coalition wasn't forming up despite massive AE, so I took the opportunity to clear most of the little trash out of Europe. I also dismantled the HRE for the first time. I actually did so many mean things that the Brits, Danes, and Prussians decided they were better off not being my friend. Now I have no allies but who cares I'm huge. A coalition finally formed up so everything in Europe is against me. But that doesn't matter because I took everything I need over there. My attention had already turned to the east and the upcoming rumble with the Ming.

TjTA00S.png

I cleared out a bit more of India and found myself with adjacent borders to Ming. This let me use the Holy War CB for reduced AE. Although I've discovered AE doesn't really matter against Ming because all his tributaries don't really care if you take his land.

Small rant: Ming seems pretty retarded in this patch. He started the war with 220k troops, almost zero manpower, and nearly 150k mercenaries. Basically manpower means little and he can endlessly sustain merc armies while just taking out tons of loans. At one point I took a couple of good fights and knocked his army down to 50k. A month later he was back to 100k+ because you can merc back up in half a month. It seems pretty dumb to me.

Anyways, I invaded through southern China and did the slow work of sieging down level 6 forts while trying to deal with his marauding 200k troops. A few years in I had secured the southern half or so of China. I burned through nearly 300k manpower and was unable to continue reinforcing sieges let alone fighting his 100k mercs. I guess I need to learn to use a core of mercs during large wars - throw money at the problem instead of manpower. Fortunately, I had enough war score to take a 90% peace deal. I cut clear across China and secured 7 forts. The next war should be much easier as a relatively modest army can clear the south. Meanwhile my main army can carpet siege the core of China. I can even send troops immediately to start sieging Beijing.

LMjVnBt.png

I'll probably go conquer some stuff in Africa and the East Indies next then take another swing at Ming when the peace treaty is over. I need to learn how the Celestial Empire and Ming's tributaries work. Right now if I attack any of his tributaries I have to fight him again. If I weaken Ming enough will his tributaries start leaving him? Can you destroy the Celestial Empire like the HRE?