dualmaster333

Europa Universalis IV

157 posts in this topic

I made a bit of a mistake. I found the autonomy screen in the macro builder and got a little carried away with the "Decrease Autonomy" button. Absolutism is super important and it is just so easy to click the button. But then some bad events happened to increase my unrest, so now I'm dealing with a ton of rebellions - every couple months a 20-40 stack pops up somewhere. So I probably have 250k troops babysitting a few areas to keep things under control.

It's not a huge problem though as my army has passed 400k. I've been taking many small wars, primarily in Africa, that has provided a pretty steady stream of provinces to core so I'm not wasting too much time. I may actually just plan to clean out Africa in the next 20-30 years and then not have to be distracted by it later. I'm also eating a couple of my vassals to prepare for some new cancer in Asia.

I've decided not to war Ming just yet. Their military strength is a little too even to mine right now. With military ideas coming online, my relative army strength and size will be significantly higher in another 30 years or so. Plus I'll have mostly finished off Spain, Russia, and the Ottomans so I can focus my forces better.

In other bad news, Manufactories spawned in the middle of China which means I'll be getting some tech penalties pretty soon. In better news, I disinherited a crappy 3/1/3 heir and was rewarded with a 4/6/6. Given that I am desperate for diplo and mil points right now that is pretty much perfect.

1 hour ago, dualmaster333 said:

I made a bit of a mistake. I found the autonomy screen in the macro builder and got a little carried away with the "Decrease Autonomy" button. Absolutism is super important and it is just so easy to click the button. But then some bad events happened to increase my unrest, so now I'm dealing with a ton of rebellions - every couple months a 20-40 stack pops up somewhere. So I probably have 250k troops babysitting a few areas to keep things under control.

It's not a huge problem though as my army has passed 400k. I've been taking many small wars, primarily in Africa, that has provided a pretty steady stream of provinces to core so I'm not wasting too much time. I may actually just plan to clean out Africa in the next 20-30 years and then not have to be distracted by it later. I'm also eating a couple of my vassals to prepare for some new cancer in Asia.

I've decided not to war Ming just yet. Their military strength is a little too even to mine right now. With military ideas coming online, my relative army strength and size will be significantly higher in another 30 years or so. Plus I'll have mostly finished off Spain, Russia, and the Ottomans so I can focus my forces better.

In other bad news, Manufactories spawned in the middle of China which means I'll be getting some tech penalties pretty soon. In better news, I disinherited a crappy 3/1/3 heir and was rewarded with a 4/6/6. Given that I am desperate for diplo and mil points right now that is pretty much perfect.

Yeah, in answer to your post prior to this one, it's worth waiting out Ming and engaging in an arms race with them, so that in 30-50 years you'll be twice their strength due to conquests elsewhere.

RE manufacturies,just turbo develop in Farmland near Paris - it'll soon spread elsewhere as France is super highly developed.

38 minutes ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Yeah, in answer to your post prior to this one, it's worth waiting out Ming and engaging in an arms race with them, so that in 30-50 years you'll be twice their strength due to conquests elsewhere.

RE manufacturies,just turbo develop in Farmland near Paris - it'll soon spread elsewhere as France is super highly developed.

I'll have to see if I have the spare monarch points. One new feature that should help is Edicts - I can activate +33% institution spread in a number of my key states to speed things up.

Another thing I remembered is in my back pocket is a Golden Age. 10% reduction in all monarch point expenditures for 50 years? Heck yeah! I'll probably wait until Imperialism when the conquests go into hyperdrive.

Wow...somehow 40 years have gone past. There's still a ton of land to take. But overall I think I'm in a good spot. I had a lot of war and conquering during that time but couldn't keep up with specifically the diplo points. I've actually been at peace more than war the past five years while catching up on diplo tech. I'm finally ready to go conquer a little more land. The good news is that I'm four years out from getting Imperialism CB along with the next administrative efficiency (I think that will be 70%).

sluXr0x.png

I haven't made much effort to push into Europe. Just the occasional alliance that gets me into a war with one of those nations. I have grabbed a vassal or two and the occasional province so I've used at least some of my AE budget in the area. I've also been forcing some of the colonizers back to Catholic so that the colonies they are setting up for me are in the correct religion.

m3djCMr.png

Africa is where I focused much of the last few decades. At this point everyone except Kasanje is a single war cleaning. I screwed up on some overextension calculations so I had to release Najd. But I got some nice reconquest provinces through that. They're going to be my Persian cancer. Syria, who was my Ottoman cancer, was getting a little too big so I annexed them. There wasn't much left to feed them anyways.

Speaking of vassals Novgorod has served their purpose and is on the short list to eat when I can spare the diplo. I have Nassau in central Europe that there's no real reason to keep around. I also had to vassal Spain and should probably just annex them. Pretty soon it will be time to get my Ming cancer going....

XPf9P5t.png

Asia hasn't changed a whole lot. I cleared a bit more of the East Indies but didn't have the dip to take it all. It's something I'd like to get done in the next decade or two - some of them are colonizing which means more provinces I have to take and core. In India I took a little land and released Gurjat who is going to eat some chunks of Delhi for me (they also have half a dozen cores to reclaim). Delhi is actually third in the world for army so I'm about to go throw them a beating. But otherwise I'm really just getting ready for the Ming war. My economy is rocking so I've probably built 15-20 forts for the heck of it. I have a bunch in India and a line north to south through central Asia just in case they employ stand AI tektik of showing up on the opposite of the world instead of saving their land.

IQM7LqN.png

The biggest question mark for me right now is whether I can get the One Faith achievement. Taking a look through the ledger, I have about 1000 provinces that need to be converted. Given my missionaries and what I can reasonably get for missionary strength, I estimate I can convert ~700 before the end of the game. I can get another 70 or so by forcing warring Protestants and forcing them back to Catholicism. To make it the rest of the way I'd need to really focus on feeding Catholic vassals and letting them convert the land for me. Basically I'd want to feed them as much low development land as possible while keeping the higher development land for myself. It feels like it is close enough that I'll try to make it happen!

Okay......so that was easy.

rBx4S8G.png

For some reason Ming had zero manpower. Just a decade ago he had over 200k and I didn't notice him having any wars.  He didn't even merc up massively like I've seen in other games. Basically he was a large country with a large army that was a complete pushover.

I caught a nice window where my army was ready to take the war - I just got Admin 23 so I'm up to a nice 71% administrative efficiency. But we were also about 5 years out from Mil 24 which would have meant level 8 forts. I also had some great generals (two 4 siege pips) and recently discovered the artillery barrage button button that gives you a +3 wall breach right away for a measly 50 mil. I have an excess of military points so I slammed that button a ton.

In typical retarded AI fashion, instead of taking fights on his defensive forts (which are mostly in jungle or mountains) he wandered various small stacks through central Asia while my siege stacks just rolled completely un-touched through China. I eventually ended up with a couple 25k stacks roaming Persia/Kazakhstan. My army was actually massively superior. A big morale bonus, better discipline, Quality ideas, and France's age bonus of +20% fire damage meant I could win battles with significantly smaller size stacks.

I actually declared on their tributary Malacca and fed a bunch of their land to Ligor. In China I did some serious border gore, but taking lots of low development provinces let me nab 14 out of their 18 forts. Next war will be a breeze. The only bad news is I can't core it until I get an adjacent core. So I have ~2.5 years of waiting for the coastal ones to core before coring the rest. So I'll be on a short conquering hiatus for a couple years. I guess I'll take a stack and go clear the New World since that doesn't give me any OE. Maybe a quick fight or two in Europe to break up the alliance network and force convert some nations without actually taking any land.

After this war though, it seems like conquering everything is going to be pretty easy. My much bigger focus will be working toward the One Faith achievement. I just released Yue in southern China and forced them to the One True Faith and will feed a bunch of China to them in the next few wars. Ligor, Najd, Gujarat, and Kazakh are my other loyal converters. I have 5 missionaries kicking now. I've even been building Cathedrals (+3% missionary strength) in tougher to convert provinces because I have plenty of ducats to waste. I still have some missionary strength to gain from religious ideas. And my earlier calculations were based on a lot of Sunni provinces that get -2% by default, so a lot of the land I have left to convert will be substantially faster. Things are looking good!

1747 update for my EU4 Blog:

0Y4vD26.png

Despite getting a 7 year regency council where I couldn't war anything, I'm cruising pretty smoothly now. Ming has been beaten to a pulp and cut off from the oceans so they can't colonize anymore. Austria got a beat down in which I took 14 of their 19 level 8 forts; they're on the docket for the next war in six months. All your fort are belong to us! Austria, Ming, and Teutonic Order are the only nations left that will require more than one war to finish. My army is at 1.1 million and I just spam more stacks of cannons whenever I have unit cap. They're in all the right places so I'm pretty much doing 100% over extension peace deals and then starting the next war right away. My cores finish up around the time I'm ready to peace out the next one. I fired off the Golden Age for -10% to all monarch point costs. So my admin and diplo are keeping up nicely. I'm actually behind a military tech but it's not a very important one. I had an heir with a weak claim so I burned a whole bunch of mil power getting my legitimacy and absolutism back up.

Kazakh and Great Horde are my only remaining vassals. Great Horde is not far from converting all their land to Catholic and then I will annex them. Kazakh is still trying to convert lands, but they're really slow so I might just eat them in a decade and finishing converting the land on my own. Speaking of conversions:

mWRaZBt.png

At my current rate of conversions a conservative estimate is that I can do another 550 provinces before 1821. There's only a little over 400 left to convert so I should be in good shape. I do want to focus on claiming the lands in Indochina and India soon - there's a bunch of religions there and the AI might convert some which would leave the 30 years "religious zeal" that could really screw you. 

On a fun note, I have 145k ducats so I've been spamming Cathedrals at 300 ducats a pop because they give +3% missionary strength in that province. I'm actually converting a lot of stuff in 6 to 7 months.

Well.......I made it with 25 years to spare.

yg0Da5s.png

And only months after that, all settled provinces were of the proper faith:

Pl6sgRG.png

I formed the Roman Empire at the very end just for the achievements. It made sense to conqueror Rome and the rest of Europe very late because it was mostly in the right religion. The last couple decades I pretty much had a war going at all times so that I was ready to peace out as soon as cores completed. I forced vassals a few times when I didn't have the time to core the conquests and I didn't feel like trying to conquer that land again. The best was when the Danes decided to attack Sweden while I was killing them. I made Sweden a vassal which put me at war with Denmark which I immediately crushed and returned 9 cores to Sweden. So Sweden immediately loved me and faithful kept a stack running around doing my bidding.

All in all I rather enjoyed this run. I thought the World Conquest would be far too tedious for me but I rather enjoyed it overall. A few of the "siege 20 level 8 forts" wars were not very fun, but then you take most of those forts and the next war is far easier. The One Faith achievement was also fun to do.

Now, to figure out what the next campaign will be....

Since the new Ages system, I've always been interested in Portugal's unique bonus of +50 Global Settler Growth. It's pretty powerful that early on especially when combined with the age bonus that gives +3 development for completed colonies. I've been trying to figure out how to do something fun with that. I've done enough "colonize everything" games for now. As I was poking around reading the wiki this week, I learned that the United States is a formable country. It occurred to me that Portugal could settle a large number of colonies with the +3 bonus development to form a pretty strong releasable colonial nation. So it's time to

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

I did a little early warring with Portugal just to get a decent enough economy to settle aggressively. I even forced Aragon to give me Naples (which I annexed but later lost due to rebels enforcing demands.....). But mostly I just went Exploration+Expansion and got to the east coast as quickly as possible. I ended up getting 25 provinces settled before the end of the Age of Discovery. So I added 75 development to the 13 Colonies. Even without the Age bonuses, Portugal still colonizes quickly so I kept filling out the coast of NA and feeding the provinces to the colonial nation. As long as you don't core 5 provinces in a different colonial region you can avoid forming another colonial nation. So by the time I released my colonial nation, they had completely blocked off the inner continent from European nations:

cPjMcO5.png

A newly formed US would be reasonably good with all the 8-10 development provinces on the coast from the Portuguese settlers. But I decided to take it a step farther. I set Portugal on a suicidal path. For the last 40 or so years before releasing the colonial nation, I stopped teching and instead invested all Portugal's monarch points into developing the New World. The screenshot below shows development in the US. There's almost 20 provinces with 20+ development and a bunch of other ones in the 10+. I also focused Portugal's limited military on conquering the various indigenous tribes to further expand the colonial nation.

dNokXIq.png

I also spent all Portugal's spare money on infrastructure. By the time they were released, the US had tons of churches, shipyards, workshops, and manufactories. Right before releasing I debased the currency the max amount and took out as many loans as possible (it got me to 14k ducats and I spent the entire chunk on infrastructure). I got all the estates to max influence and took 200 of each monarch point and then spent it all in the New World. I even sold the entire fleet for zero ducats to the 13 Colonies. Heck, I even abandoned all their idea groups and spent the tiny bit of monarch points that were returned on development. That also helped to remove Portugal from the colonial game......as if they weren't screwed enough already. So in 1580 I released the 13 Colonies and immediately formed the USA with them. I had just over 1000 development and was immediately the 2nd Great Power in the world.

As 1600 approached I realized I had a crack at getting Global Trade to spawn in the US. I ended up in a very close race with the Brits to get the highest value trade node in the world. Very careful placement of merchants, trade fleets, and production buildings allowed me to eek it out:

Yk3KUfH.png

The empire of the United States as it currently stands in 1601:

qaAi9Eq.png

I've managed to close off all of Mexico and have settled well up the California coast. Just a few more provinces into Alaska and I will have the entire interior secured. I'm also investing substantially in settling West Africa. Since the Ivory Coast trade node can be connected to the Caribbean (and thence to the Chesapeake) I want a strong presence in Africa to divert some of the highly lucrative ducats that flow around Africa. I'll settle what I can and probably invest in conquering the various sand clans in that area. Otherwise I'll just focus on filling in the interior of the continent....lots of juicy land to be had!

I starting conquering into Mexico but monarch points have been scarce. The colonial nation did a crappy job of filling out the idea groups so I've sunk tons of points into those. In addition to Expansion and Exploration, I have Trade and Plutocratic ideas - I've never used those but they were already partially filled out. I actually like having to use something new. A lot of admin points have also been spent on creating new states since the CN had a limited number. So I'm slightly behind on tech and still have a handful of ideas to fill out but another 5-10 years and I should be free to go clear the rest of Mexico.

Apart from settling like crazy, I'll be looking for a good opportunity to jump some of the European colonizers. The Brits are my rival and had the gall to settle in Canada so they're likely to be first. Spain is pretty heavy in South America but I'll look to go after them at some point.

USA! USA! USA!

31 minutes ago, Hellsfog said:

I picked up EU IV and some DLC from the steam sale, any suggestion on which country to start with?

Portugal, Spain, and the Ottomans are all good easy starting nation that can help learn the various game mechanics. Portugal and Spain are good for colonization. Ottomans and Russia are good for military conquest and growth. Austria is good for learning diplomacy and HRE mechanics though it is still a pretty tough nation if you want to form the HRE but if you don't it's a pretty easy nation since you can get PUs over Hungary and Bohemia and you have a lot more manpower and money than any of the other HRE states and you should be able to hold onto the HRE emperorship pretty easily.

Portugal especially is really nice! You don't have to do anything, just ally Castile, but there's a ton you can do if you desire. Since you aren't directly involved in affairs outside of Iberia, it's a nice way to just let the game play out and get an idea of how the world develops and the AI tends to act.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:56 AM, Hellsfog said:

I picked up EU IV and some DLC from the steam sale, any suggestion on which country to start with?

If you want some video instruction, I learned by watching a portion of this series. It's a completely new player playing with an experienced player and talking through the mechanics. It gets a little slow and overly detailed at times but it helped me get through the learning curve.

hcrEhUw.png

Meanwhile, the US has started filling in the continent in earnest. I thoroughly annoyed that for some reason my name is stuck in Alaska despite there being a huge settled area on the eastern seaboard. At this point it is just a relaxing, peaceful run at 5x speed as I colonize across the continent.

I had a couple wars with European powers that ejected Spain and Britain from North America. They were limited affairs with me taking a war goal and just waiting for the ticking war score to get me what I wanted. I did get the upper hand with the navy and ended up utterly destroying the British and Spanish fleets. USA #1 naval power by a long shot! The best trick I pulled - I decided to sabotage Spain's reputation (-3 diplo rep) which just happened to put multiple colonies over 50% liberty desire. Brazil almost immediately got their independence supported by France and shortly after went to war. I took the opportunity to jump Spain while they were distracted. Then I noticed multiple other colonies were also fighting against Spain which left them isolated. So I smashed through Colonial Columbia and took a huge chunk of their land in addition to kicking Spain out of the Caribbean. All because I used one of those silly spy actions! Unfortunately, AI France is retarded and somehow got completely smashed by Spain so none of her colonies actually broke free.

oSGae7Z.png

In South America I did some snaking settlements to block off a chunk of Brazil that I'll eventually return to settle. It's pretty silly that that type of settling is optimal. The only other colonizing I did was in the Philippines. It's the only trade node in the East that can actually run back to the New World. So I'm pulling a modest amount of ducats out of southern China through there. Otherwise, I've been intentionally peaceful, just hanging out, settling, and developing.

KM1yg8z.png

Slowly colonizing the US got a little boring, so I started another game as Brandenburg. I've been wanting to do a Religious League war and also wanted to check out the hype around Prussian military. The hype is real. Quality+Offensive+Prussian ideas and 20% discipline makes for a nasty military. Army tradition is also close to 100 so I'm getting 10+ pips between siege and shock. Pretty sweet.

ZgQKweg.png

I got Poland-Lithuania as an early ally and used them to expand up the Baltic coast. I also got in a good diplomatic position to take some land off Bohemia....and eventually took all their land. Later I noticed that Sweden was having their war of independence and the Danes got completely overrun. So naturally I had my army waiting for the moment that war ended and jumped a hollow shell of a nation.

I went Protestant immediately and started gathering allies. The big players in the Catholic league were Austria, Russia, England, and a couple of the stronger Italian nations. I picked up Spain, France, PLC, Sweden, and the Ottomans. For some reason when I declared the League war France and Sweden never joined in? I even checked after declaring and they were listed with the Protestant league. Anyways, we still rolled them pretty hard so the HRE is now Protestant.

At this point the HRE is a mess, but I may try to get elected Emperor and see if I can get start enacting the reforms. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably look to form Germany since I haven't done that yet.

7cZnrDq.png

Prussia game is pretty much on cruise control now. After the religious league war I actually managed to get electred and get the empire back in order. There were lots of little wars to force religion on heretic princes. I completely dismantled the Netherlands to get territory back under HRE control. There's still a few territories held by Spain who I am keeping as an ally. There's also a couple heretic princes but they are free cities and apparently are a huge pain to attack. I'll probably just leave them be. I've been building Imperial Authority just by conquering and adding territory to the HRE. Thus the push into Scandinavia and Russia - lots of low development provinces that still give 1 IA from being added. The other expansion route has been into northern Italy for some juicy development.

The worst part is that the HRE princes war non-stop. I keep having to demand Unlawful Territory. If they don't obey, then I have to go and spank the naughty little princes. However, I just enacted the fifth Imperial Reform which disables all internal HRE wars, so I guess that will go away now. I have a very strong alliance network with Spain, France, and PLC. They occasionally drag me into annoying wars, but I really don't worry about anyone attacking me and I've built up lots of favors so I pull them all into wars whenever it serves me.

At this point the game is a little boring but I would like to actually form the HRE for once. I probably need another 50ish years of game time to make it happen so I will just try to speed through it......as much as you can speed through anything in EU4.

It was a little tedious but I forced myself to do it. The reformed Holy Roman Empire in 1656:

gOcAIv6.png

I got most of the Imperial Authority through conquest - Scandinavia and Russia are a veritable goldmine, but also getting into the Balkans gave me a nice pile of low development provinces. Seeing the impact of the reforms along the way was fun. With the second to last reform the HRE basically turns into a massive vassal swarm. In fact you can have a much larger total army that way than after you actually integrate the entire empire.

It's also interesting that you don't inherit heretic nations. I'd been avoiding chewing up Austria's land because I assumed I would get it all. Otherwise I would have annexed them much more aggressively. Anyways, this was fun but there isn't much sense in playing it any further since it would just be blobbing through a bunch of stuff with no real purpose.

For the next campaign I'm looking for a fun achievement to do. A few that have my interest:

• Prester John - Starting as Ethiopia in East Africa seems like it could be interesting and having to punch through the Ottomans could be a bit of a challenge.
  • Steppe Horde - There's a couple of good achievements around playing a horde. Own 200 grain provinces, reform Yuan or Golden Horde, and some others
  • I'm also tempted to play something in the far East as a Ming tributary. Supposedly it can be abused pretty hard because you can freely conquer other tributary land, but if anyone else attacks you Ming will come to your defense. I'll have to see if any of them have interesting achievements

I enjoyed the vassal swarm idea that @Inciatus was doing. So why not do it myself? I did a little reading on how to get ridiculous as Austria so I'm trying to revoke the Privilegia quickly (1600-ish) while also grabbing a bunch of PUs for a mass swarm. Then I'll see if I can turn it into a world conquest.

Things started pretty well then a number of things didn't go so well. I quickly forced the union on Bohemia. Event gave me the Habsburg on the Hungarian throne. While waiting for him to reach age 15, I started getting the Shadow Kingdom provinces. Northern Italy went pretty smoothly - a small coalition for a short while, two wars to get the Papal State provinces, and one dumb war to get Urbino when Florence sniped them during the war I started to capture that province. Along the way I got the free PU over Hungary so avoided a war there.

Within the HRE I've been using Demand Unlawful Territory and a few wars to keep plenty of Princes around (57 or so right now). I took a war with Burgundy to reclaim HRE lands. I now have all but one province (Holstein in Denmark).  0.18-0.19 IA per month right now is pretty decent.

Then the thing that made it rough - France got the Curia controller and excommunicated me. And naturally my excommunicated Emperor live to be 72 years old. Excommunication gives you -50 to -200 relations with everyone in the HRE. It's brutal. I only barely manged to get my heir elected again. I couldn't pass a reform because there weren't enough princes to support it so I was just burning all my IA in excess of 50. I lost 15-20 IA while waiting for my ruler to die. Interactions within the HRE were also a lot tougher (harder to demand unlawful territory and such).

Burgundian Inheritance fired for me in 1480......and I inherited nothing because I had already conquered the territories that would have been mine. Of course it gave France a couple free provinces. It's not the biggest deal, just annoying. I did manage to take a war against France with Castille/Aragon/Naples which ended up being very easy. I snagged a couple forts, another HRE province, and some land along the English channel which gives me nice access over there.

Right now I'm good buddies with Castille and hoping to get a Habsburg on their throne (there's an event that can make it fire). I'm also working to get my dynasty on the Polish throne although it will probably be quite a while before I can claim that. Within the HRE I'll be spanking naughty princes while preparing for the Reformation to appear. I'll keep grabbing individual provinces throughout the empire that will give me access to new princes. I've started filling out Religious ideas for the Deus Vult and missionary strength to convert those centers of reformation that are coming soon. I'd also like to continue grabbing some non-HRE land since that provides some good IA.....Denmark and France seem like ripe targets.

GUyqvcm.png

I was playing an england game for a while and I will hopefully post on that soon but then I wanted to see how big of a single city I could make and decided to get distracted playing hamburg. I got kinda bored around 1550 and started eating some neighbors like lubeck and verden. I got up to around 80 before I just sort of stopped. I had taken pretty much every development reduction thing I could find but still at that point your looking at more than 400 monarch points per point of development. Also the development reduction costs only apply to the 50 base score so the 20% reduction from full economic is only a 10 monarch point development savings. Which is really useful for playing small and tall but really not that helpful for making a super city. Also I realized the strengthening of government for republics is really useful. With hamburg pretty much once you hit the third election you become basically military points neutral and you get a pile of stuff from admin and diplo points. Im probably going to try playing again as Hamburg again though honeslty I could probably just do it with any HRE republic and not be at such risk from denmark though the extra republican tradition you get with hamburg is super useful for that. That should be a pretty quick thing honestly just run through and maybe make the various hansa states into my vassals while I am glorius free city.

Then after that I might again do Hamburg but this time playing properly tall to make the glorius state of Hannover (hopefully I can pick up an elector spot so I dont have to leave the HRE). I have quite a soft spot for Hannover since it was my favorite country to play in Victoria II. I know I can do it with bruenswick but bruenswicks ideas are boring and the country is boring.

Apparently you have to be a monarchy to become and elector though playing Dithmarschen to get the lessons of hemmingstedt achievement could be cool. They get decent development reduction some nice army bonuses and unrest bonuses and autonomy and at the end get that glorius bonus republican tradition. Also apparently with a policy diplomatic-aristocratic you can get a 0.4 RT boost which just seems kinda silly since there are very few states that could actually use it except like the Netherlands. Maybe stockpile admin points let yourself fall to a dicatorship and then force your RT back to 50 before your leader dies.

It's 1532 and the Reformation has sputtered out:

4lsRMif.png

Four of the six centers of Reformation spawned within my reach, so I smashed them and force converted two while manually converting two. The remaining two are in the British Isles but I might actually be headed that way soon. I currently have four heretic princes which will largely be sticking around because I've already enacted the Landsfriede. It doesn't matter, I'm gaining IA at 0.26 per month while adding territories to the empire for even more. At this rate I'm probably only 15 years away from Revoking the Privilegia.

Meanwhile my alliance block includes Castille/Aragon/Naple, Poland/Lithuania, and Sweden with Bohemia and Hungary as PUs. I currently have Habsburgs on the throne of Castille and Poland. I'll probably wait until I have my HRE vassal swarm to claim Castille's throne and the Polish throne has to wait until after 1600.

1dYz3ZK.png

I'm about to take another chunk out of France and hopefully get a Scottish territory so that I have land access for spanking the Brits. I do need to be a little careful - last Franco war the Ottomans decided to intervene and their armies were massively superior to ours. Muscovy also hates us now and has allied themselves with the Ottomans so there is definitely a threat to the east. I need to figure out a good way to deal with that since expanding into the Balkans is one of my best options right now. I also need to start getting access to North Africa to start expanding into the larger world. I guess there's not a huge hurry yet since I should easily have most of Europe under my control by the early 17th century...

So I wound up continuing that Hamburg game I started wanting to see how big of a city I could make. I did wind up doing a fair bit of expansion. Also the strengthen government thing is damn amazing with a republican government, especially if you have quick elections you can relelect pretty much constantly and run with real strong leaders. I originally was going to just try doing like a one city challenge and was going to have a little vassal swarm but Denmark was looking scary and I eventually decided to start slowly eating things.

The league wars never fired despite protestantism running pretty strong and we actually wound up with a protestant Austria and Lithuania. Reform was crushed pretty quickly basically just being Bohemia and Scotland. Though at one point I realized that all the electors were linked together in two circles and I was tired of having to deal with the HRE crap like unlawful territory and free cities. So with my allies I first smashed brabant (the emperor) and ripped them apart. Then I fired the first war and called in all my allies and shortly afterward I fired the second war and was able to crush the remaining electors and the emperor. One of my allies was occupying two of the electors on me so I peaced them out with full annexation to that ally so I could actually dismantle the HRE. Bye Bye HRE.

20170728173412_1.jpg

After this there were basically three relevant states in the HRE being me, Brandenburg, and Austria. I turned myself into glorious puke green Hannover. The remaining little countries in the former HRE didn't survive long as the three of us scrambled to clean things up. I made some vassals and wound up making them a bit too big with new burgundy and Courland and then adding Bavaria to the mix. My relationship with my allies sort of struggled since they all seemed to hate each other and I generally just stuck with Austria and Sweden since I had really high trust with them. My alliance with Brandenburg would break like every 25 years when they declared some stupid war against an Austrian ally. Also somethings got screwed up like the game forgetting to give me my power projection from obliterating Champagne (which would have been enough to increase my development another pip probably) or going to build the Kiel canal, taking my money and not actually starting construction. My allies near the end game were getting really frustrating just constantly declaring wars that at one point while I was preparing for a war they called me in that I savescummed so I could actually get my own offensive operation happening instead of being my ally's attack dogs.

20170729143635_1.jpg

My final development in Hamburg was 134. I started to get really aggressive later on between making my new vassals and having to core a lot of extra land that wasn't just what was needed to be able to afford level three advisors that I probably could have pushed myself up to 140 development or the one time I decided to upgrade Stade instead since I was thinking about just doing a properly tall play). Also I screwed up for about 50 years when I switched government types not realizing it didn't have elections (as well as the second one I tried switching to) which knocked my average during that period down to like 8 monarch points from the leader from the like 14 I had been enjoying under the first government type (which represents about like 4-5 development loss)

20170729143606_1.jpg

1547 and the vassal swarm is real:

5KZ3xYv.png

Sadly, in a stroke of really bad luck, Castille's ruler is still alive at 76 years and my Habsburg heir died at 40 or so. No PU over Spain which really sucks balls.

So yeah I'm hating this PU stuff. After getting royally screwed on the Castile PU, I just got royally screwed on the Commonwealth PU. Just before 1600 my ruler dies and my heir was too young to take the throne so I got a consort. Who of course isn't a Habsburg. Then the event to end the elective monarchy in the Commonwealth fires early and a Habsburg is now on the throne. But I can't claim the throne because consort is wrong dynasty. I guess I should get a crack at it sometime in the future? I'm so annoyed I am tempted to abandon the game all together. I'm certainly well on my way to a world conquest so maybe I will still play it out. 

Trying to get PUs can be a massive pain. Pretty much the only way I get PUs is when I force them by forcing a family member onto a vassals throne (if I happen to be playing a Christian Monarchy) and waiting for a weak heir to show up, max relations, break the vassalization, claim throne, and then truce break.

I've started to really enjoy the naval+colonial nation type of game. And I've wanted to get out of Europe so I decided to run as Malacca. They're in a pretty cool position - a strategically positioned trade node, very rich land throughout the East Indies to both conquer and settle, and they are also a Ming tributary which gives you the freedom to conquer the other tributaries without actually having to fight Ming. To make things more interesting, I enabled random new world. It's pretty fun - exploration is actually exploration. It's also nice because the trade nodes can be much less European biased. In this game it appears that there is actually going to be a major trade route from a good portion of the New World into Australia. So there's a lot more incentive for me to settle it heavily.

Bwo5zfP.png

Conquest is going well. The island areas are free to conquer at my leisure. I've also take some good wars to get a solid foothold in Indonesia. I'll slowly clear the islands and clear the Ming tributaries in southeast Asia. Unfortunately I'm way behind on admin points so I can't expand too much right now.

I'm currently going Exploration+Expansion and focusing on the high value states nearby. The East Indies are insanely high development and getting the +3 development Age bonus means I've got some insanely good  (50-60 development) states. Once the Age bonus runs out I'll work on getting some colonies up in the New World and possibly Australia. I also need to settle the Phillipines for some juicy land.

WqmTDJS.png

I ended up developing to get Renaissance. It was something like 1800-2000 monarch points. I managed to discover the New World with about two years to spare and successfully spawned Colonialism (without even having to save scum!).  Hopefully the European powers will be hurting a bit on tech once I meet them.

I was tempted to do this as a world conquest, but I think I'll just take it easy instead. My goal for now is to make the Malacca trade node extremely high value and eventually smack down Ming. Or perhaps when those mean Euros show up I'll teach them a lesson.

Unfortunately the way colonialism spawns it won't really slow down the european powers. Since once the reach the new world or maybe once they set up a colony they get an event which fills out colonization in one of their provinces. Though you should get a nice +10 trade power from port to the new world if that spawns in Asia.

Interesting....bunch of Eurocheaters. Since I haven't met any Europeans yet I guess I can check the Great Powers list and see if they still have a high tech penalty. In Asia I'm still the only one with colonialism and renaissance has just spread into Indochina. Hopefully it is still a little while until Ming gets it.....not that he is behind on tech or anything because 75% tech penalty means nothing to Emperor of China.

It looks like I got a pretty decent New World. On the sizable southern continent there's three large trade regions that send trade exclusively to Australia and thence on to me. Euro's can't steal any of that. The fourth trade region that I'm just starting to explore definitely feeds west to me but probably also feeds east. So I want to work on getting a strong presence there early.

SQjNlFQ.png

The only bad thing about the southern continent is it contains a whole lot of dumpster provinces - most of it 3 development. The northern continent is smaller is size but at least the west coast of it is pretty rich. Lots of 8-10 development provinces. It does feed trade down to the eastern node of the southern continent, so that node should be even more important. I have an explorer and conquistador mapping the southern continent. I'm keeping one colony always advancing as far as possible and currently another 5 colonies focused on getting colonial nations up. In the next 20 years I expect to have 2-3 colonial nations and most of the new world mapped.

The western part of Hawawo is pretty heavily established with natives so before too long I'll be conquering through them for free territory.