179 posts in this topic

AMD Ryzen Processors can possibly OC to 5 GHz On Air

NKX5cnO.jpg

Well, let's hope the hype is real or else people will get disappointed. Last week a publication from CanardPC already revealed benchmarks from AMD's upcoming 8-core RYZEN processor, this week they claim to reach 5 GHz on air cooling.

If you read through the magazine you'll spot on page 10 that Ryzen chips will be able to achieve overclocks of at least 5 GHz on air. The fun thing is, they embedded it as a riddle as the author of the article embedded a hidden message, look at the top of this page and do you notice two digit 0 and 1 string just above the photo?

AMD SR7 vs 6900K

Warning about PCIe OC with Ryzen

Folterknecht

those french shitters oced 1 core :serb:

lets not forget how bulldozer performed in Blender :kwim:,

thou ryzen now has "real" cores instead of "modules" in terms of fpus :doge: , hopefully Risins will make Skylake-X cheaper than these fucking broadwells-e :frenchy:

31 minutes ago, aaveq said:

those french shitters oced 1 core :serb:

lets not forget how bulldozer performed in Blender :kwim:,

thou ryzen now has "real" cores instead of "modules" in terms of fpus :doge: , hopefully Risins will make Skylake-X cheaper than these fucking broadwells-e :frenchy:

I hope they oced 8 cores to bring some heat on Intel. Competition always brings best for customers.

Imagine  WOT competition without arty :serb:

24 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

I hope they oced 8 cores to bring some heat on Intel.

AMD usually brings some heat.

Ill show my way out.

You can forget 5 GHz on air withing any reasonable voltage (for all cores - I don't care for single core OC) especially for the 8 core parts. Otherwise AMD would set their base frequency much higher than ~3.6 - 3.8 GHz. And the next thing to keep in mind is, that currently they are just starting out with this CPU design, the yields will be relativ low. This isn't Intel who basically produce "the same chip" since years with some process shrinks and incremental updates.

In 1 or 2 years you 'll see faster SKUs and higher OC results, but not right of the gate.

16 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

You can forget 5 GHz on air withing any reasonable voltage (for all cores - I don't care for single core OC) especially for the 8 core parts. Otherwise AMD would set their base frequency much higher than ~3.6 - 3.8 GHz. And the next thing to keep in mind is, that currently they are just starting out with this CPU design, the yields will be relativ low. This isn't Intel who basically produce "the same chip" since years with some process shrinks and incremental updates.

In 1 or 2 years you 'll see faster SKUs and higher OC results, but not right of the gate.

You never know what this might turn out after all. 4GHz on all cores with reasonable voltage would be really great. Also i'm waiting for more tests (like average / minimal FPS in game). but this is certainly step in right direction, and this might push Intel to lower prices or produce even better chips. 

2 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

You never know what this might turn out after all. 4GHz on all cores with reasonable voltage would be really great. Also i'm waiting for more tests (like average / minimal FPS in game). but this is certainly step in right direction, and this might push Intel to lower prices or produce even better chips. 

GF failed with their frequency goals for the RX4xx cards or do you really believe that AMD intended from the start to go 1.5 - 2 years without an answer to 1070/1080 being limited to 1080p and some light 1440p gaming? The RX480 only reaches ~1400 MHz with OC. Slap on an other 500 MHz and you are suddenly at Pascal level.

Now you really expect they fabricat a much more complicated chip design, that somehow manages to reach 5 GHz (with OC)? :serb:

13 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Now you really expect they fabricat a much more complicated chip design, that somehow manages to reach 5 GHz (with OC)? :serb:

I hope :trump:

MakeAMDGreatAgain

amd64.gif

Fingers crossed they can make something worthwhile... They have really lost it since Athlon 64 times, meh...
And they need to bring out new GPUs on top of that  so will see, maybe they will pull a miracle out of their asses?

1 hour ago, Folterknecht said:

So theoretically low end 8core can achieve 3.6/4 without too much hassle (member C2D and low end cpus overclockable as hell). May this rumors be true. 

But besides that i want good single core performance, that would really shake things up and bring more options for customers.

If the clock rates are true, I find it very telling that the highest boost clock is 4GHz and that on an 8 core part with a ~90W TDP -->> very tight binning. It would be a huge suprise to me, if 4.5 GHz is achievable with OC on the majority of the CPU with sane voltages.

9 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

If the clock rates are true, I find it very telling that the highest boost clock is 4GHz and that on an 8 core part with a ~90W TDP -->> very tight binning. It would be a huge suprise to me, if 4.5 GHz is achievable with OC on the majority of the CPU with sane voltages.

I hope they are way conservative, but getting 300$ chip with 8 cores and possible 4ghz is really nice nevertheless

I just hope that the chips actually perform well.

Some more rumors...

The French website, www.cpchardware.com has made claims that its sources are pointing to three very interesting moves from Intel, to combat the threat AMD's Ryzen poses in potentially undercutting its enthusiast CPUs.

intel-kaby-lake-7700k

Intel's Kaby Lake CPUs have been criticized for not offering big enough improvements compared to previous generations, such as increased core counts or other features. Image credit: Antony Leather

The first and most interesting is a Core i5-7640K, which will not only offer a 200MHz boost in frequency compared to the current Core i5-7600K, but amazingly, the website also claims it will feature hyper-threading. This is Intel's trickery that allows one core to provide two threads to mimic the work of two cores. You don't see the same performance increase as you do from a true second physical core, but there's a definite speed boost in multi-threaded applications.

First AMD Ryzen 7 1700X benchmarks are here

On several forums over the weekend some test results from the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X have surfaced, the 8-core processor seems to position itself inbetween the Core i7 6850K and 6900K. Be warned though, there is no validity to these benchmarks whatsoever.

The processor would be an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X with model nummer ZD3406BAM88F4_38 / 34_Y. Interesting to see is that the memory frequency and timings have been shown as well, 17-17-17-39 at 2400 MHz. The results also show the motherboard, an MSI A320. The benchmarks would be taken directly from a passmark Performance Test 9.0. Apparently the turbo for Ryzen was disabled.

The results of the (synthetic) benchmarks: CPU Mark scores 15.084 points for the Ryzen 7 1700X, and that thus is only a tiny bit behind a Core i7 6850K (15.364). The Mark Integer Math test. The single-threaded performance is weaker than a Core i7 7700K, but due to the  4.5 GHz clock on the 7700K, that does make sense (2,205 to 2625 mps per second). Below we added the results into the gallery, have a browse. Again, we have no idea about the validity of the benchmarks whatsoever and a proper source has not been not listed. So please take that as a very strong disclaimer.

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-1.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-2.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-3.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-4.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-5.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-6.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-7.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-8.png

AMD-Ryzen-Chart-9.png

If Anandtech CPU architecture articels usually give you a boner, this might be interesting to you (I'm just a few minutes in,). Otherwise ignore this.

@Folterknecht will look into it later thanks.

AMD is pretty shady with details before release, but this could be big. And best for customers regardless of preferences :) 

Still have i7-4790k so I won't be upgrading to it.

Maybe interested in the lower end models for a new budget rig for gf.

9 hours ago, ComradeHX said:

Still have i7-4790k so I won't be upgrading to it.

Maybe interested in the lower end models for a new budget rig for gf.

This down to needs and price, 4790K is great cpu (i have one) but if you need more than 4/8 zen might be really good. Why pay for 6/8/10 Intel if you can have Zen for a nickel. 

But we will see how they stack up as soon they release them to public. IPC will probably be inferior to Intel, but we have to see clocks, boost and general performance with chips. 

Reviews for AMD’s next generation Ryzen CPUs will go live on February 28th and will include about half a dozen different models our sources have revealed. The company is currently in the process of seeding review samples to testers across the globe. AMD’s officially announced launch date for Ryzen is March 2nd. That’s when the majority of the lineup is expected to go on sale, with a few models expected to begin shipping to customers a couple of days before that.

In fact, just a few hours ago several European retailers had begun taking pre-orders for the Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700. With shipments expected to commence on the 28th. The new roster of CPUs includes seventeen different SKUs starting at $129 and going all the way up to $499.

If numbers are right, XFR coolers could easily bump chips to 4.5GHz... And top 500 bucks price is real deal. Current price in Croatia for 7700K is ~400-450euros, this could be in that or slight above (450-500) for what appears to be monster of chip. 

MEOCmVc.png

AMD Ryzen Reviews Coming February 28th – Press Begin Receiving Samples 

AMD-Ryzen-3DMark-Physics-Score.png

AMD-Ryzen-3DMark-Physics-Score-PER-CORE.

as per https://videocardz.com/65913/how-fast-is-ryzen

Unfortunately no details about the actual testbed in the article, outside a comment by the author saying the mobo was an ASUS B350 PRIME PLUS :/

Anyways, 38/34 is Ryzen 8c/16t, 37/33 is 6c/12t, and 34/32 is 4c/8t. All in all doesn't look bad at all, Intel will probably finally have some competition. Hopefully the gaming benchmarks are as promising.