BlackAdder

AMD (Ry)Zen

239 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

I gotta agree with them on the Taichi. Ive had some pain with my 3200 B-die memory and the timings. But for the most part it’s real good for the standard non extreme overclocker. 

10 hours ago, _Dean_ said:

I gotta agree with them on the Taichi. Ive had some pain with my 3200 B-die memory and the timings. But for the most part it’s real good for the standard non extreme overclocker. 

That wasn't the main point he was trying to make imo. He 's more or less of the same opinion as me - get a board with halfway decent VRMs - though for different reasons. He 's a pro overclocker and I approach it more from the 24/7 longterm use (2+ years) perspective. And that isn't even taking into consideration future CPUs which probably will scale much better with voltage, where as Ryzen can't be pushed beyond 3.7 to 4.1 GHz on air/water regardless of voltage.

CES is live, AMD apparently the big first

They're now integrating Vega GPUs with Zen CPUs for some Ryzen 5 and 3 CPUs, meaning integrated GFX. Exciting for workstations, especially when Im going to build my wife a new desktop workstation.

Per AMD, they're hoping for a 50% increase in clock speeds with the Zen+ refresh? Zen 2 is scheduled for a 7nm structure, sweet.

23 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Per AMD, they're hoping for a 50% increase in clock speeds with the Zen+ refresh?

nonsense

Just now, Folterknecht said:

nonsense

Agreed, thus the ? mark. Was half listening then as I was speaking with my boss

I just want good mobile APU. 8cores and some decent integrated GPU for accelerating things. This would be sweet for every consumer notebook. 

They'd have to come up with a separate design for that, maybe use the Epyc package. As is the APUs replace one CCX with the gpu.

Trying to decide whether to build a PC for my dad with the Ryzen 3 1300X I bought a while ago but haven't used or wait for the APUs to be released and buy one of those. If I stick with the 1300X I of course need to buy a separate GPU.

APUs come at $100 for the 4/4 8 CU chip, or $170 for the 4/8 11 CU ship. Ultimately depends on what he wants.