BlackAdder

AMD (Ry)Zen

267 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

I gotta agree with them on the Taichi. Ive had some pain with my 3200 B-die memory and the timings. But for the most part it’s real good for the standard non extreme overclocker. 

10 hours ago, _Dean_ said:

I gotta agree with them on the Taichi. Ive had some pain with my 3200 B-die memory and the timings. But for the most part it’s real good for the standard non extreme overclocker. 

That wasn't the main point he was trying to make imo. He 's more or less of the same opinion as me - get a board with halfway decent VRMs - though for different reasons. He 's a pro overclocker and I approach it more from the 24/7 longterm use (2+ years) perspective. And that isn't even taking into consideration future CPUs which probably will scale much better with voltage, where as Ryzen can't be pushed beyond 3.7 to 4.1 GHz on air/water regardless of voltage.

CES is live, AMD apparently the big first

They're now integrating Vega GPUs with Zen CPUs for some Ryzen 5 and 3 CPUs, meaning integrated GFX. Exciting for workstations, especially when Im going to build my wife a new desktop workstation.

Per AMD, they're hoping for a 50% increase in clock speeds with the Zen+ refresh? Zen 2 is scheduled for a 7nm structure, sweet.

I just want good mobile APU. 8cores and some decent integrated GPU for accelerating things. This would be sweet for every consumer notebook. 

They'd have to come up with a separate design for that, maybe use the Epyc package. As is the APUs replace one CCX with the gpu.

Trying to decide whether to build a PC for my dad with the Ryzen 3 1300X I bought a while ago but haven't used or wait for the APUs to be released and buy one of those. If I stick with the 1300X I of course need to buy a separate GPU.

APUs come at $100 for the 4/4 8 CU chip, or $170 for the 4/8 11 CU ship. Ultimately depends on what he wants.

12 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Article doesn't give much context. Somehow I doubt these results but I'll wait until the embargo lifts on the 19th and the reviews come out. If it actually does I may sell my 8700K and Z370 motherboard I bought and make the switch. All my PC parts have arrived but I have not bothered to open any of them and start building yet.

On 15.4.2018 at 2:01 PM, RollerCoaster47 said:

Article doesn't give much context. Somehow I doubt these results but I'll wait until the embargo lifts on the 19th and the reviews come out. If it actually does I may sell my 8700K and Z370 motherboard I bought and make the switch. All my PC parts have arrived but I have not bothered to open any of them and start building yet.

1) It's wccftech quoting some obscure spanish review ... .

2) If you look into the numbers in that review, you 'll notice the the 6700K often being on par or better than the 8700K :drunk: --->>> something strange going on there. A CPU that has the same IPC (roughly) as the 8700K, but clocks lower and has fewer cores.

3) Zen+ has no mayor architectural impovements over Zen beside some latency improvements and slightly higher clockspeed. Not a bad CPU, but if you already have a 8700K for gaming, there is absolutly no sense in downgrading - yes for gaming it's a downgrade.

edit: And people who claim that Zen is as good for gaming as a 8700K, because same numbers @4K or 1440p ultra are either plain stupid or fanboys. Wait for 2-3 GPU generations and you 'll drr Zen fall behind. The upgrade cycle for GPUs is much shorter than for CPU/RAM/MB.

15 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

I have a feeling that test wasn't done with similar or identical systems.  In some of their charts the results are obviously GPU limited.  Many results are within the margin of error for testing.  Also there were several charts missing the 8700K results.  Why is that?  Was it not tested or did it win by a large margin and was not included?

Most modern game engines still show diminishing returns past 4 or 6 threads.  It will be a few years until they can take full advantage of the 8 cores/16 threads of Ryzen over the clock speed of Intel CPUs with less cores.

The R7-1800x had about the same performance as the i7-3770K in most games when it was released.  I wonder how much of an improvement the 2700x is since its mostly a clock speed increase and not a major design change.  I'm guessing in the games that can't take advantage of the 8 cores/16 threads it will be about the same as an i7-6700K.

Oh yes, clearly the testing is flawed here. But, if the benchmarks come out from reliable sources this week, Id be pumped

@RollerCoaster47 stick w/ the 8700k. Believe me I love me Ryzen, but the 8700k is still beast mode

14 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Why cuck yourself with possible driver issues/lack of RAM support/etc when you have an already capable CPU.
Literally OC the 8700k and I doubt 2700x will be able to outperform barring  heavily multi-threaded apps.

As predicted  2700(X) = 1700(X) + ~300 MHz more OC headroom, when you go for the non-X version. All 2000 chips seem to hit a hard limit at 4.2 Ghz (~1.4V) and will start running unstable above it.

What also is a nice improvement is the voltage curve, seems now you can run 4GHz with slightly less than 1.2V. Stock voltages seem to run higher, so undervolting is the new game. Powerfull SFF workstation comes to mind here.

-----------------------------

And that spanish review mentioned above? Belongs where most prelaunch leaks from non reputable sources belong - in the garbage.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600

Well, time to enjoy icelake's presumed lower MSRP when its released

54 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600

Well, time to enjoy icelake's presumed lower MSRP when its released

Just in case anyone will take that review seriously, those gaming benchmarks are completely off compared to any other review out there (and previous gen ryzen aswell). Not even XFR 2 and XMP (and MB tinkering with RAM frequency/timings in any way) can't make that sort of a difference.