BlackAdder

AMD (Ry)Zen

267 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Marty said:

Just in case anyone will take that review seriously, those gaming benchmarks are completely off compared to any other review out there (and previous gen ryzen aswell). Not even XFR 2 and XMP (and MB tinkering with RAM frequency/timings in any way) can't make that sort of a difference. 

I noticed some reviews were heavily slanted to AMD and using mostly games that do well with Ryzen.  

Both of these reviews seem to give similar results in their average over multiple games and don't seem biased to one processor or another.  If your main purpose is gaming, you can't go wrong with an 8700K

kyDlvBE.jpg

KKXdNrT.jpg

8 hours ago, Marty said:

Just in case anyone will take that review seriously, those gaming benchmarks are completely off compared to any other review out there (and previous gen ryzen aswell). Not even XFR 2 and XMP (and MB tinkering with RAM frequency/timings in any way) can't make that sort of a difference. 

Yeah. I noticed discrepancies as other reviews got released later in the day. Odd as I've never had anandtech as questionable before.  Wonder if graphs are mislabelled for anandtech

6 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

Yeah. I noticed discrepancies as other reviews got released later in the day. Odd as I've never had anandtech as questionable before.  Wonder if graphs are mislabelled for anandtech

Since Anand La Shimpi left it's not the same anymore :-(

7 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

I thought Anandtech and Tom's Hardware were owned by the same company now.

For Ryzen owners: Its worth going from Ryzen 5 1st gen to Ryzen 7 2nd gen. Its not worth going from Ryzen 7 1st gen to Ryzen 7 2nd gen

I am debating on weather or not to upgrade to the new Z470 boards

4 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

I am debating on weather or not to upgrade to the new Z470 boards

X470 you mean?

That aside there is very little reason to do so generally - compared to X370. B350 is basically not suited for Ryzen 8 cores in my book - VRM implementation leaves much to be desired on these budget boards.

• seems X470 can handle slightly higher memory clocks, though probably more so on higher end boards with a corresponding price tag. Doubt you will buy a new set of 2x 8GB 3600 with low timings also.
  • you might see better VRM thermals on some boards, but that depends on the design and the price tag ...
  • NVME Raid (0 - 1) with two x4 PCIe 3.0 drives possible now, if board manufacturer implemented that (defenition of a niche market right there)

19 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

X470 you mean?

That aside there is very little reason to do so generally - compared to X370. B350 is basically not suited for Ryzen 8 cores in my book - VRM implementation leaves much to be desired on these budget boards.

• seems X470 can handle slightly higher memory clocks, though probably more so on higher end boards with a corresponding price tag. Doubt you will buy a new set of 2x 8GB 3600 with low timings also.
  • you might see better VRM thermals on some boards, but that depends on the design and the price tag ...
  • NVME Raid (0 - 1) with two x4 PCIe 3.0 drives possible now, if board manufacturer implemented that (defenition of a niche market right there)

Currently Im using a B350 Strix. Decent MoBo, but when it comes to OC I have some start up issues. Once its going, its fine. I do know I'll need better power delivery for the CPU in future gens

22 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

I actually didn't know how bad Anandtech is, but I checked their original Coffee Lake review - someone claimed Anandtech is the only website with correct results, because they used Meltdown+Spectre patches, that's why Intel is so down on performance - obviously the FPS in both original and new review are basically the same from the graphs I've looked at so it's complete bullshit. However when looking through it I found this....

91834.png

7400>8400>8700K

ok....

I still have to rma my 1600 for the segfault issue, now seems like a good time to do it. I wonder if AMD's rma department would let me pay the difference to upgrade the chip they send back to me to one of the new 2xxx series. Seems worth a try. 

Also seems like the compile scores on Intel got hit pretty hard from the meltdown patches. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/13

18 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

(defenition of a niche market right there)

Help me out here - I can't think of a single real-world workload that would justify the difference between single disk NVME and RAID.

8 hours ago, _Dean_ said:

I still have to rma my 1600 for the segfault issue, now seems like a good time to do it. I wonder if AMD's rma department would let me pay the difference to upgrade the chip they send back to me to one of the new 2xxx series. Seems worth a try. 

Also seems like the compile scores on Intel got hit pretty hard from the meltdown patches. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/13

Upgrading the Ryzen 5 1st gen to the next is worth it IMO.

2 hours ago, woe2you said:

Help me out here - I can't think of a single real-world workload that would justify the difference between single disk NVME and RAID.

I'm also seeing this as an outsider, but professional video editing (scrap disk) might be a usecase. Everytime you can speed up your workflow you save time/money ... . But as I said, that 's me talking out of my rear vent.

1 hour ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Upgrading the Ryzen 5 1st gen to the next is worth it IMO.

not for 180-200$, though if he can pay AMD maybe 30-40$ and get a 2600 back instead of a 1600 that's a different story.

33 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

I'm also seeing this as an outsider, but professional video editing (scrap disk) might be a usecase. Everytime you can speed up your workflow you save time/money ... . But as I said, that 's me talking out of my rear vent.

I remember seeing one of the popular US or Canada computer hardware Youtubers doing a NVMe vs NVMe RAID array comparison with 4K video editing on a high end i9/x299 water cooled system.  The end result was a minimal difference on 10+ minute 4K videos.

I personally haven't seen a huge difference in working with 1440p and 4K video on my system when going from a SATA 6 GB/s SSD to a NVMe SSD.  The only difference is moving files around.  I may be limited by having a 4 core 8 thread CPU and maybe a 10+ core CPU would show a difference.

29 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Thanks for sharing. I guess I'll be testing outusint the Enmotus Fuzedrive on my x370 since Storemi is for the 400 series. $60 for the software doesn't seem bad at all. It's only $20 if you plan on using it with a 128gb or smaller ssd

Looks like Anandtech figured out what was wrong with their reviews and is retesting everything right now. It seems that forcing HPET with the spectre and meltdown patches causes more delays and negatively impacts Intel in gaming performance. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12678/a-timely-discovery-examining-amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-results