179 posts in this topic

So in recent news, Threadripper is getting an 8 core sku with all the IO of the higher core count skus and a 3.8ghz base clock.

2 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

So in recent news, Threadripper is getting an 8 core sku with all the IO of the higher core count skus and a 3.8ghz base clock.

Now some of you might understand why I wasn't happy with X370 from the beginning. Even 28 PCIe lanes like on X99 + 5820K would have been "enough" to serve a certain market segment. It's not about SLI/CF nonsense - dead anyway - it's about (semi) professionals who want to run a dedicated GPU and two to three other devices like RAID, capture, sound whatever. X370 is nothing but Z170/270 with the option for more cores. Offers no additional value compared to Intel at a very steep price point - the good boards start at 200$/€. And these X399 boards will be really expensive - pin + lane count guarantees that.

The 1900x isn't going to be all good news over the R7 chips. It's going to be four two core CCX modules across two separate dies to get the quad channel memory. That means increased lag between cores and cache on different dies, so not entirely worth the $250 premium over the 1700 if you aren't using the extra IO and memory.

36 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

The 1900x isn't going to be all good news over the R7 chips. It's going to be four two core CCX modules across two separate dies to get the quad channel memory. That means increased lag between cores and cache on different dies, so not entirely worth the $250 premium over the 1700 if you aren't using the extra IO and memory.

That already confirmed?

Yes, Threadripper is two functioning zepplin dies with a pair of spacers under the heatspreader. Each die supplies 2 CCX and two memory channels. No idea how each individual die effects the PCIE lane count though.

I bought a Ryzen 7 1700x and it is fucking amazing. All I need is a AMD combination GPU/Heater to keep me happy and warm for those cold winter nights. :MingLee:

NV runs better with AMD CPUs usually compared to AMDs own GPUs with their own CPUs.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:44 PM, Folterknecht said:

That already confirmed?

AMD has stated (believe I saw in Anandtech review) that they will always bin chips with even core counts across CCX's. 

Thus for an 8 core Threadripper to still have the full PCI-E lanes and quad channel memory, it has to be a 2x2 + 2x2 part.

Im pretty sure Im going to sell my z170 MSI Krait + i5 6600k + a 120mm Dual fan Noctua CPU cooler and get a R7 1700 in its stead

2 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Im pretty sure Im going to sell my z170 MSI Krait + i5 6600k + a 120mm Dual fan Noctua CPU cooler and get a R7 1700 in its stead

From all I know so far, Coffeelake will "run circles around it" for gaming and or streaming. 8700K is reported to have 4.7 GHz single core turbo directly from the factory, which should translate into ~5GHz with overclocking on all 6 cores. Even in production workloads you will probably see at least parity in many cases. Remember that Ryzen has a comparable IPC in gaming to Ivybridge.

If Intel doesn't screw up pricing and playes that thing around 350$ AMD will have a hard time.

Release date is estimated for the 8700K in october.

@Folterknecht I know, and I probably wouldnt make the switch just yet until pricing for that series comes out. However, Im also considering video editing/encoding, and because frankly all the benchmarks Ive seen the % difference between current consumer i-series vs R7 isn't enough to make me feel a difference. If Coffee lake i7 series prices are comparable to AMD R7, then I'll certainly get it. But, if Intel fucks the shit this time with pricing Im going AMD

Intel only has a very narrow window for 8700K pricing which would make sense: Intel Core i7-7800X <---> i7 7700K

On 8/31/2017 at 9:29 PM, TheMarine0341 said:

@Folterknecht I know, and I probably wouldnt make the switch just yet until pricing for that series comes out. However, Im also considering video editing/encoding, and because frankly all the benchmarks Ive seen the % difference between current consumer i-series vs R7 isn't enough to make me feel a difference. If Coffee lake i7 series prices are comparable to AMD R7, then I'll certainly get it. But, if Intel fucks the shit this time with pricing Im going AMD

I've seen people saying they are going to switch to a Ryzen R7 for video encoding.  However is it worth the cost for the time savings?  Are you doing video editing and encoding that has to meet a customer deadline or is it just stuff for youtube?  Could changing your workflow make a difference?  If I have a large video file to encode that will take multiple hours, I'll have it run overnight.  With the R7 you are potentially giving up gaming performance for faster video encoding.

Also, would it be more cost effective to just upgrade your CPU to an i7 or upgrade to an i7, more RAM, and NVMe SSD?  I've noticed that working with video files and also working with images in photoshop I get better performance when I have the files on the NVMe SSD over a SATA SSD.  The NVMe SSD doesn't make encoding faster, but it makes some of the loading and editing faster.

It comes down to how much do you use your computer for video editing and encoding vs gaming and how much gaming performance are you willing to give up to encode video files faster.  

I've considered getting an 1800X in the past, but I don't have to do video editing/rendering on a deadline.  If I ever needed to encode videos on a deadline, I'd rather buy a used 2011-V3 dual socket Xeon motherboard and a pair of used Xeons.  I've seen pairs of 8 and 10 core used Xeons sell for $500 on ebay.

Also, another option to consider, if you live near a Microcenter store, they have the i7-6850K on sale and $100 off any compatible motherboard purchased with it.

On 31/08/2017 at 9:32 PM, Folterknecht said:

From all I know so far, Coffeelake will "run circles around it" for gaming and or streaming.

People stream in 4k?

Edit: that sounded a wee bit harsh. I apologise. The concept of streaming has always fascinated me because it combines the two activities that have traditionally rewarded single-threaded IPC and parallelization respectively, and whatever happens between Intel and AMD in the mid range can only be good for the consumer.

40 minutes ago, woe2you said:

People stream in 4k?

o_o

Don't understand what you want to say with that?

2 hours ago, Bavor said:

I've seen people saying they are going to switch to a Ryzen R7 for video encoding.  However is it worth the cost for the time savings?  Are you doing video editing and encoding that has to meet a customer deadline or is it just stuff for youtube?  Could changing your workflow make a difference?  If I have a large video file to encode that will take multiple hours, I'll have it run overnight.  With the R7 you are potentially giving up gaming performance for faster video encoding.

Also, would it be more cost effective to just upgrade your CPU to an i7 or upgrade to an i7, more RAM, and NVMe SSD?  I've noticed that working with video files and also working with images in photoshop I get better performance when I have the files on the NVMe SSD over a SATA SSD.  The NVMe SSD doesn't make encoding faster, but it makes some of the loading and editing faster.

It comes down to how much do you use your computer for video editing and encoding vs gaming and how much gaming performance are you willing to give up to encode video files faster.  

I've considered getting an 1800X in the past, but I don't have to do video editing/rendering on a deadline.  If I ever needed to encode videos on a deadline, I'd rather buy a used 2011-V3 dual socket Xeon motherboard and a pair of used Xeons.  I've seen pairs of 8 and 10 core used Xeons sell for $500 on ebay.

Also, another option to consider, if you live near a Microcenter store, they have the i7-6850K on sale and $100 off any compatible motherboard purchased with it.

• ~1 GHz higher clocks
  • only 2 cores less (vs 1700)
  • slightly better IMC when it comes to clocks and timings
  • between 10 - 20% better IPC over "all" benchmarks be it games (neglecting the few cases were AMD totally breaks down) or productivity
  • probably (my guess) no mesh-fabric for inter core communication like Skylake-X, which in some cases is detrimental in some games and applications.

->I highly doubt the 6c/12t 8700K will have problems keeping up in productivity (video work) and streaming. The winner in gaming is already clear and the lead will only get bigger there.

@TheMarine0341

pricing, specs, lineup - unconfirmed:

Kerne/Threads Takt (Basis) Turbo
1 / 2 / 4 / 6 Kerne
L3-Cache TDP Overclocking Preis (CAD, Euro))
Core i7-8700K 6/12 3,7 GHz 4,7 / 4,6 / 4,4 / 4,3 GHz 12 MB 95 W $484 (326 Euro)
Core i7-8700 6/12 3,2 GHz 4,6 / 4,5 / 4,3 / 4,3 GHz  12 MB 65 W $408 (276 Euro)
Core i5-8600K 6/6 3,6 GHz 4,3 / 4,2 / 4,2 / 4,1 GHz  9 MB 95 W $338 (228 Euro )
Core i5-8400 6/6 2,8 GHz 4,0 / 3,9 / 3,9 / 3,8 GHz  9 MB 65 W $238 (161 Euro)
Core i3-8350K 4/4 4,0 GHz  8 MB 95 W $233 (157 Euro)
Core i3-8100 4/4 3,6 GHz  6 MB 65 W $153 (103 Euro)

source

@Bavor no deadlines, but heavy multi-tasking. Id like to get videos rendered while Im doing other things, instead of waiting until I go to bed to start the project, wake up, make sure everything looks right, upload while Im at work, check on that a couple hours later, etc. About 1 in 5 or so projects of mine, I have to either re-create or re-render. Ryzen would allow me to render during my "waking" hours, which is a huge bonus if a project fails to do so correctly in the first place

On 9/3/2017 at 4:19 AM, Folterknecht said:

@TheMarine0341

pricing, specs, lineup - unconfirmed:

Kerne/Threads Takt (Basis) Turbo
1 / 2 / 4 / 6 Kerne
L3-Cache TDP Overclocking Preis (CAD, Euro))
Core i7-8700K 6/12 3,7 GHz 4,7 / 4,6 / 4,4 / 4,3 GHz 12 MB 95 W $484 (326 Euro)
Core i7-8700 6/12 3,2 GHz 4,6 / 4,5 / 4,3 / 4,3 GHz  12 MB 65 W $408 (276 Euro)
Core i5-8600K 6/6 3,6 GHz 4,3 / 4,2 / 4,2 / 4,1 GHz  9 MB 95 W $338 (228 Euro )
Core i5-8400 6/6 2,8 GHz 4,0 / 3,9 / 3,9 / 3,8 GHz  9 MB 65 W $238 (161 Euro)
Core i3-8350K 4/4 4,0 GHz  8 MB 95 W $233 (157 Euro)
Core i3-8100 4/4 3,6 GHz  6 MB 65 W $153 (103 Euro)

Those prices are Canadian dollars.  I'd like to see what the actual US dollar price is.  

Oh, throw in the fact too that this new skew, despite being still the 1151 socket, will NOT be compatible with any current z170 or z270 mobos...

It also took an hour to render a 15min video at 100% CPU usage at 1080p45fps with Sony Vegas Pro 14 using my i5 :foreveralone:. Thats an hour of my life I could do something else with my computer but I simply cannot with the 6600k

On 9/7/2017 at 0:48 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

Oh, throw in the fact too that this new skew, despite being still the 1151 socket, will NOT be compatible with any current z170 or z270 mobos...

It also took an hour to render a 15min video at 100% CPU usage at 1080p45fps with Sony Vegas Pro 14 using my i5 :foreveralone:. Thats an hour of my life I could do something else with my computer but I simply cannot with the 6600k

Did you consider buying extra PC just for render?