BlackAdder

AMD (Ry)Zen

234 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Did you consider buying extra PC just for render? 

Hell no. One PC to rule them all, one PC to find them. One PC to bring them all and in the darkness Render them

2 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Hell no. One PC to rule them all, one PC to find them. One PC to bring them all and in the darkness Render them

pcqMneEc9.gif

Not exactly Ryzen related, but with livestreaming this hurricane, I'm glad my PC has an 8 core Piledriver. OBS is using about 50% of the cpu for the broadcast, and I'm still able to watch streams on youtube, have a couple dozen tabs up in chrome, along with a few other programs all with no difficulties.

I got my Ryzen 7 1700x for $250 because someone didn't know about the temp off-sets :D

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-cpus-8-working-cores-spotted-wild/

Several recent Ryzen 5 1600X CPUs owners built new systems and upon booting to windows for the first time were shocked to discover that they had 8 cores and 16 threads. The CPUs had the same 3.6GHz base clock and 4.0GHz Turbo of the 1600X, but had 8 cores and 16 threads instead of 6 and 12 respectively. Making them effectively price-cut 1800X CPUs.

It's like Phenom IIs all over again.

38 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Hey, it's news even after you filter out all the opinion stuff.

like this you mean?

image-632371-galleryV9-poef-632371.jpg

More and more I feel confident that Ryzen was the way to go, especially at the price I got my 1700x CPU. 

5 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

More and more I feel confident that Ryzen was the way to go, especially at the price I got my 1700x CPU. 

But why? Intel i5 prices have dropped pretty well recently and they are still faster than the fastest AMD CPU out there? And have much better performance per core which is all that matters in gaming really.
I had my hopes up for Ryzen and it did look ok at first but seems kinda "meh" now. The 8600K just destroys everything AMD has to offer :(

This from gaming POV.

Two things. #1, 8th gen didn't exist last month. #2, he's not looking to just 'game'. You need a 8700k minimum to match multicore performance of a r7 anyway.

2 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Two things. #1, 8th gen didn't exist last month. #2, he's not looking to just 'game'. You need a 8700k minimum to match multicore performance of a r7 anyway.

Benchmarks hardly matter.

benchmarks DO matter. Gaming I get what I need. Atm anyway I have a 60hz monitor soon to be replaced with a 1440p 144, where Ryzen closes the gaps. I can stream/broadcast/edit with 0 noticeable lag on my system sans internet. Im missing ZERO other than clock speeds for 1080p 144hz+ gaming for the vast most part which is where I am NOT going. 

11 hours ago, Stige said:

But why? Intel i5 prices have dropped pretty well recently and they are still faster than the fastest AMD CPU out there? And have much better performance per core which is all that matters in gaming really.
I had my hopes up for Ryzen and it did look ok at first but seems kinda "meh" now. The 8600K just destroys everything AMD has to offer :(

This from gaming POV.

11 hours ago, Stige said:

Benchmarks hardly matter.

You keep showing why your opinions are irrelevant when it comes to tech.

This is coming from someone who chose the 7700k over Ryzen because of my specific needs.

I think I'm going to wait for Zen+ before I pull the trigger on a new processor. Ryzen was a huge step for AMD and competition is great for the consumer.

The Coffee Lake i7 is even a good option for multithreaded tasks, but not only does it cost more than a 1700, it's impossible to buy anyway.

14 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

benchmarks DO matter. Gaming I get what I need. Atm anyway I have a 60hz monitor soon to be replaced with a 1440p 144, where Ryzen closes the gaps. I can stream/broadcast/edit with 0 noticeable lag on my system sans internet. Im missing ZERO other than clock speeds for 1080p 144hz+ gaming for the vast most part which is where I am NOT going. 

Streaming seems to be the only real reason to buy a Ryzen over Intel right now, and even then the 1700X/1800X are same or more than a 8700K setup would be making them kinda pointless again.

21 minutes ago, Stige said:

Streaming seems to be the only real reason to buy a Ryzen over Intel right now, and even then the 1700X/1800X are same or more than a 8700K setup would be making them kinda pointless again.

I also got my Ryzen 7 1700x for $250, or less than a locked i7 6700, and $120 less than an i7 8700k. Plus a mobo which is going to probably last more than 1 generation, and again: 1440p and greater Ryzen is very competitive FPS wise with both the 7700k and 8700k. And you're still coming at this from a pure "gaming" standpoint. Theres PLENTY of other reasons to buy Ryzen over Intel, just as there can be PLENTY of reasons to go Intel over Ryzen. Much of what I do has little to do with gaming: I have Virtual Machines, rendering/recording, Chrome tabs, streaming, etc etc etc. often all going at once. I built my brother an Intel PC, his primary function is pure gaming/VR. Dad, Ryzen 5 1600 because he's doing a bunch of Cad Drawing. Another brother, built a Ryzen 3 1300x because he needs good VM and run an in-home entertainment server on a budget. 

2 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

I also got my Ryzen 7 1700x for $250, or less than a locked i7 6700, and $120 less than an i7 8700k. Plus a mobo which is going to probably last more than 1 generation, and again: 1440p and greater Ryzen is very competitive FPS wise with both the 7700k and 8700k. And you're still coming at this from a pure "gaming" standpoint. Theres PLENTY of other reasons to buy Ryzen over Intel, just as there can be PLENTY of reasons to go Intel over Ryzen. Much of what I do has little to do with gaming: I have Virtual Machines, rendering/recording, Chrome tabs, streaming, etc etc etc. often all going at once. I built my brother an Intel PC, his primary function is pure gaming/VR. Dad, Ryzen 5 1600 because he's doing a bunch of Cad Drawing. Another brother, built a Ryzen 3 1300x because he needs good VM and run an in-home entertainment server on a budget. 

1700X is 379€, 8700K is 414€, 1800X is 499€.
7700K is 380€.

Checked the cheapest prices in Finland. The difference is a bit less now between 1800X and 8700K but still no justification for that extra 55€ at all.
1700X 360€
1800X 450€
8700K 395€

1800X is the only one that can compete with the 8700K, but even that is only in synthetic benchmarks.
After looking at things like music encoding, video encoding and photoshop performance, I'm even more convinced that Ryzen is a waste of money right now. Only things it seems to be able to compete with intel is
1. Streaming
2. Synthetic benchmarks

Looking at the synthetic benchmarks, it does look like Ryzen might be able to compete with Intel on more than just useless tests at some point but when/if we ever see that much optimization outside synthetic benchmarks..
There might be future there for the Ryzen and really hope there is, even now looking at prices of i5s and stuff it is noticable already that AMD is upping their game, heck the 8700K is a steal at that price considering you had to pay like 320-350€ for an i5 here a few generations ago.