breeeze

Obsidian got fired

62 posts in this topic

Nah, OE were completely incompetent, they definitely had it coming. Looking at the RU cluster it seems like mail.ru devs seem to actually be able to get shit done, so I am slightly hopeful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, breeeze said:

Nah, OE were completely incompetent, they definitely had it coming. Looking at the RU cluster it seems like mail.ru devs seem to actually be able to get shit done, so I am slightly hopeful.

yeah but alot of the fuck up were from Mail.ru... like they didnt know how to use a clock most of the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will just make it like wot or close to it with balance 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, breeeze said:

 Looking at the RU cluster it seems like mail.ru devs seem to actually be able to get shit done, so I am slightly hopeful.

Looking at the RU cluster, World of Tanks is a very affordable F2P game, with regular developer interaction, lots of community contests, and great sales/events...

Anyway, perhaps mail.ru will manage to push Project Armata to a level where it is a decent competitor in the Russian region, so WG will have to throw nice things at people again. I feel that's all we can hope for at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, _Goliard said:

Looking at the RU cluster, World of Tanks is a very affordable F2P game, with regular developer interaction, lots of community contests, and great sales/events...

Anyway, perhaps mail.ru will manage to push Project Armata to a level where it is a decent competitor in the Russian region, so WG will have to throw nice things at people again. I feel that's all we can hope for at the moment.

 
 

You are joking right? RU published games are terribly monetized relative to NA bucket. Why buy gold, premium, insignias, ect ect when I can go buy Smite, CSGO, Overwatch for a flat fee and not deal with the janky monetization meant to slow people down and buy stupid stuff.

If any departing OE devs want to share the cryengine code now would be the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't you glad Garbad talked you into getting that Founders pack guys? :doge: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kolni said:

Aren't you glad Garbad talked you into getting that Founders pack guys? :doge: 

Did people ever actually take him seriously? :jebaited:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, breeeze said:

Nah, OE were completely incompetent, they definitely had it coming.

The painful truth.  I hope someday we can get a postmortem from someone inside OE to find out how exactly this came to pass. 

I was never expecting blockbuster levels of success but given all the issues WoT has it seemed like carving out a niche that could last should have been a sure thing.

What could have been...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kolni said:

Aren't you glad Garbad talked you into getting that Founders pack guys? :doge: 

good that some kind soul from wotlabs chat gifted loose one to me

:gachi:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Kolni said:

Aren't you glad Garbad talked you into getting that Founders pack guys? :doge: 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, don't remind me.

 

20 minutes ago, Illy said:

The painful truth.  I hope someday we can get a postmortem from someone inside OE to find out how exactly this came to pass. 

I was never expecting blockbuster levels of success but given all the issues WoT has it seemed like carving out a niche that could last should have been a sure thing.

What could have been...

It would be nice to know. Maybe the OE guys working on AW were the B team, C team or, most likely, Z team. I'm guessing all the good developers are working on Pillars of Eternity II or DLC for Tyranny.

...

Actually, this makes me wonder...

Did My fire OE or did OE say "Fuck this shit, we've got real games to work on. Have fun!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked with Obsidian and My.com as a design consultant since the start of early access, so I have a lot of insider knowledge. I'm working on a post for the subreddit (which I am also a mod of) that details Armored Warfare's history and how/why things never got better. The short and sweet of it: MailRU. They had the final say on what Obsidian could do, in fact if you knew what Obsidian's original plan for the game was... it was really something great. MailRU didn't like it, however, and they literally asked for "World of Tanks with modern tanks." Seriously, just look at the original technical test that only streamers/youtubers and top clans at the time got invited to. Everything, even the artillery, was copied from WoT. Alas, there was hope as MailRU told Obsidian they could have more freedom as the game died more and more every day, however it was all empty words. 

I'm still writing that post, though. Will link it later. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played WOT for 6 years , 5 of those folks said it was dying, for 2-3 years now been hearing about how AW and to a lesser extent WT GF would kill it lol.

I don't think wot is perfect but i take it over the attempts at one upping it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Spartan96 said:

Played WOT for 6 years , 5 of those folks said it was dying, for 2-3 years now been hearing about how AW and to a lesser extent WT GF would kill it lol.

I don't think wot is perfect but i take it over the attempts at one upping it.

Anyone who thought WT:GF would kill WoT is just full of it. The games couldn't be any more different if they tried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gatortribe said:

Anyone who thought WT:GF would kill WoT is just full of it. The games couldn't be any more different if they tried. 

Doesn't help that Gaijin are they own worst enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gatortribe said:

I'm still writing that post, though. Will link it later. 

Looking forward to that, really curious about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gatortribe said:

Here it is, everything that went wrong with Armored Warfare (that I know of): https://www.reddit.com/r/ArmoredWarfare/comments/5thjdv/armored_warfare_what_went_wrong/

Not an especially shocking revelation, but never the less it's interesting to read it from someone with an inside perspective.  So thanks for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love how SS responded, and it is gone now... If he wasnt a corporate shill, but more like the guy that ran FTR back in the day he would tear AW/OE/mail.ru a couple of new assholes several times over the last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Epic said:

Love how SS responded, and it is gone now...

Someone screenshoted it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nah forget, didnt think it would be gone. He just said not all of it was true, but couldnt respond because of NDA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OIGxKeL.png

He's not wrong, I've had to dig all of this out of my memory and I'm sure some of it has been lost in the details. I could look back at the Skype logs I have but most of what I was told was over voice so nobody could take screenshots or otherwise. I wouldn't use them either, anything anyone told me was kept confidential and I will never say who told me which parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.