Sign in to follow this  
ThomChen114

The Fate of the Chieftain

12 posts in this topic

„WG is planning a Chieftain tech tree branch. They also plan other lines too, but let’s talk about this one for now. The Chieftain line will likely split from the Valentine, with most probable tanks to be in it being the A38 Valiant, AT-1, and the Heavy Valiant. The Chieftain will top it off as the tier 10. They were planning it since the last year’s summer or even earlier, I don’t recall that far. The line is still a prototype so it can always change its structure. In the last few months, WG changed the classification of the Chieftain from Heavy to Medium a couple of times, but right now, the Chieftain is a Heavy. The line is somewhat urgent – ETA late 2017/early 2018. A Brit scout line is also in the works.”

TAP link

47 minutes ago, ThomChen114 said:

„WG is planning a Chieftain tech tree branch. They also plan other lines too, but let’s talk about this one for now. The Chieftain line will likely split from the Valentine, with most probable tanks to be in it being the A38 Valiant, AT-1, and the Heavy Valiant. The Chieftain will top it off as the tier 10. They were planning it since the last year’s summer or even earlier, I don’t recall that far. The line is still a prototype so it can always change its structure. In the last few months, WG changed the classification of the Chieftain from Heavy to Medium a couple of times, but right now, the Chieftain is a Heavy. The line is somewhat urgent – ETA late 2017/early 2018. A Brit scout line is also in the works.”

TAP link

I need to 3 mark the Valiant and stomp pubs with that POS

There seem to be some glaring holes in that line IMO because as far as I could find the 'Heavy Valiant' or Valentine III was proposed to be ready by 1944 and be armed with basically the same guns the Churchill tanks had (57mm, 75mm or 95mm howitzer), though the design request required a 17lber. 

So that is tier 6, tier 7 at a stretch material with the guns, though the listed design would have had around 9 inches (228mm) of hull armour and 10 inches of turret armour (254mm) which is potential tier 8 material armour but it would be very slow. 

Proto Cheiftain at 9 and a heavily up gunned super slow, flat armour slap of metal Valiant as a tier 8 maybe?

Looks potential to be basically a worse Vk 100 P or worse O-HO. 

The British heavy line is already poor, dredging the archives for designs worse than what we already makes me feel it's going to be a real slog to get a Chieftain. 

3 hours ago, tajj7 said:

There seem to be some glaring holes in that line IMO because as far as I could find the 'Heavy Valiant' or Valentine III was proposed to be ready by 1944 and be armed with basically the same guns the Churchill tanks had (57mm, 75mm or 95mm howitzer), though the design request required a 17lber. 

So that is tier 6, tier 7 at a stretch material with the guns, though the listed design would have had around 9 inches (228mm) of hull armour and 10 inches of turret armour (254mm) which is potential tier 8 material armour but it would be very slow. 

Proto Cheiftain at 9 and a heavily up gunned super slow, flat armour slap of metal Valiant as a tier 8 maybe?

The British heavy line is already poor, dredging the archives for designs worse than what we already makes me feel it's going to be a real slog to get a Chieftain. 

Of course, they want that free xp money.

You know that the reason for the delay is that WG has been trying to figure out how to give the chieftain a derp gun . . .  

1 hour ago, Archaic_One said:

WG has been trying to figure out how to give the chieftain a derp gun . . .  

YES PLS AFDFHGYE74YRHDHFD GIMME GIMME GIMME :minidoge:

There is

TD with derp

Heavy with derp

Light with derp

Super heavy with derp

All i need is hightier heavium / medium and TOG II (aka some of the french superheavies) with derp and my life is complete

There's very little basis for this. I'd file this one under untrue.

On 2/13/2017 at 10:38 AM, Archaic_One said:

You know that the reason for the delay is that WG has been trying to figure out how to give the chieftain a derp gun . . .  

There'd be little to figure out; the British actually pursued it enough to warrant several models.

On 2/13/2017 at 11:57 AM, leggasiini said:

YES PLS AFDFHGYE74YRHDHFD GIMME GIMME GIMME :minidoge:

There is

TD with derp

Heavy with derp

Light with derp

Super heavy with derp

All i need is hightier heavium / medium and TOG II (aka some of the french superheavies) with derp and my life is complete

All those are actually possible. Being heavily invested in HESH led to it practically being feasible.

On 14/02/2017 at 1:38 AM, Archaic_One said:

No I'm pretty sure the idea was to literally find and model the absolute worst tanks in tank design history, and make them the precursor tanks in the line to the Chieftain, to make the grind so hair tearingly bad, you simply HAVE to free XP 7-8 tanks on the way to it.

This just 100% confirms what I always suspected, that some head honcho has a hate boner for British tanks, like British tanks killed their whole family kind of hate.  After the FV201, the AC1, the Caernavon, the Centurions, the old and new FV4202, and their "updates" to them, as well as the Soviet versions of the British tanks that are simply outright better than their British tech tree counterparts. The upcoming Swedish Cent 1 that will probably be more effective than the actual Cent 1. Hell you could apply this to most of the British tree. It probably took some arm twisting to get them to originally have the Cromwell to have a removed speed governor and Vickers HV gun, just so WG could make some money.

And I expect a MASSIVE nerf to the Chieftain about 6+ months into its appearance, since it sometimes makes Russian tank drivers sad. So yeah, nice try WG, I know what game you are playing.

7 hours ago, 21Blackjack said:

No I'm pretty sure the idea was to literally find and model the absolute worst tanks in tank design history, and make them the precursor tanks in the line to the Chieftain, to make the grind so hair tearingly bad, you simply HAVE to free XP 7-8 tanks on the way to it.

This just 100% confirms what I always suspected, that some head honcho has a hate boner for British tanks, like British tanks killed their whole family kind of hate.  After the FV201, the AC1, the Caernavon, the Centurions, the old and new FV4202, and their "updates" to them, as well as the Soviet versions of the British tanks that are simply outright better than their British tech tree counterparts. It probably took some arm twisting to get them to originally have the Cromwell to have a removed speed governor and Vickers HV gun, just so WG could make some money.

And I expect a MASSIVE nerf to the Chieftain about 6+ months into its appearance, since it sometimes makes Russian tank drivers sad. So yeah, nice try WG, I know what game you are playing.

I think it's because they were ready to change the 215B for the chieftain and when they saw that everybody still like the 215B, they fought about making it an alternative T10, and after a little bit of research they saw that they could make an entire new line therefore it takes them all this time to come up with a new british line. . 

On 13/02/2017 at 9:39 AM, tajj7 said:

They have tanks for tiers 8 and 9 easily, there's a few concepts bouncing round for what was medium gun tank no. 2 which eventually led to chieftain.  The cleft turret one with the American T140 (gun from from the T54E1 tier 9) is a shoe in for tier 8, for 9 there is the the mock up with the pike hull.

For tiers 4 and 5 there are tons of candidates, its tiers 6 and 7 is where there is a problem, there are tanks with armour but with no guns bigger than the 75mm from the Sherman, Listy found some behemoth O-Ni esq tank with 400mm of frontal armour armed with a 75mm......

Unless you go to FV201 there's not really any good options, there's unique turrets there, but its still basically a Caernarfon. 

Sign in to follow this