garryallen

How the heck do you guys scout on paris

Question

Hey everyone, ive had paris a few times in my least few battles, and realised that i have no idea what to do on this map. i can't brawl in heavies or mediums, and using the north for scouting is campy as heck and doesn't influence the game. i was wondering how you guys brawl (positions) and where you go in a scout. replays, positions, guidance, whatever, anything will help. 

thanks, garry.

10 answers to this question

ravagedcapital04_by_ryanlj-daz8t8t.jpg

1) if i spawn this side I make a loop to find early spots on tanks crossing the west, some times it works, sometimes it doesn't

2) most common place to sit, don't shoot from here unless you know you're double bushed or can pull back w/o getting shot

3) I don't go here much, if north or south loses a little front ground, it's a pretty sad place. This spot can work well mid game, you can push up to the opposite sides of the bush mounds and help your allies flank their cover.

Paris is a pretty crappy map for scouts, arty, and tds overall though. I've only had good games in super heavies, and a few times with mediums, and almost always in the south.

7 hours ago, garryallen said:

How the heck do you guys scout on paris

Short answer - you don't really... There is little to no advantage of extending view range as it's such a close quarters map and most tanks that are likely to see Paris have a more than ample view range anyway.

The North is often a camp fest unless you have a medium advantage and can rush the North (hoping that your team's efforts in town can hold the enemy there - allowing you to flank easier). The middle position between the buildings in the North helps break some camps too but it's easily countered.

The south becomes much more of a brawl/ambush area, late game I find that the mid-South road provides excellent distraction/side shots/annoyance techniques on any tanks trying to progress to either South-West/South-East.

If you're in a comparative low-tier light tank then just play an annoyance role - even if you know you won't pen just keep plinking shells off enemies - making them want to turn and shoot at you, which in turn provides a nice easy shot for your team mates.

Most games that I played on Paris are either won or lost because people don't pay attention to the minimap. If you see the North failing then you know an attack will be behind you soon so you have to push the South to turn it from a West/East fight into a North/South fight.

I simply play the middle.  Poking around, keeping an eye on all the radial alleys in order to watch for enemy flanking moves (or friendly opportunities for the same), as well as, taking cheap shots (AKA free damages) at tanks focused on those heavies & mediums you speak of.

It's slow and usually boring/dangerous, but useful for the team.

There's bushes in the the A/B/C courtyard (C3 or C7) that you can passive spot early. A common spot I see LTs going is the A5/A6 area, though I don't recommend it, as you can be pinned very easily. You can try to get to the arch, though again, if you get stuck there, it's very difficult to escape. I personally find it too vulnerable to cross-shots to hold early in the game, but it's decent later in the game. If you want to be more "active" in your scouting, try to control vision in the middle two "lanes" and let TDs snipe down the alleys. You want to find opportunistic shots and preserve HP early game, so you can use it more effectively late game.

Heavies go south, mediums too. Middle is usable for mediums and TDs. North is campfest, whichever team moves first dies. And scouting in Paris? That's cute.....:serb:

11 hours ago, It's_Matra said:

Short answer - you don't really...

Basically this.  If you're in anything other than a heavy tank you're in for a fucking hard match trying to work angles.........which are all conveniently corridors........whoa 

so have we all come to the conclusion that paris is retarded?

19 hours ago, garryallen said:

so have we all come to the conclusion that paris is retarded?

Unless if you're in a heavy tank, it pretty much is the worst map created.  Field is a no go zone unless if you won the lottery that day

Whenever i'm in a scout tank on Paris, i find myself either things:

A) just running around between the gaps of either side at the mid, keeping an eye on the middle and to spot any attempts by the enemy to exploit flanking opportunities. but you'll be doing nothing more than spot, as rarely you'll have any TDs available to take advantage of whatever you spot until its too late, since they'd either be pre-occupied twidding their thumbs up north, or enjoying/suffering the corridor meta down south

B) sitting in some bush north. never fire your gun while in that bush unless you want to exit the match the fastest way. i don't even try to tempt faith/RNG by running amok in the middle of the open. its tempting, but its no Malinovka flat farm land. those lazy French workers just did a half-ass job of that pond and decided to surrender. any small bump will slow you down, and the range is close enough and there are enough snipers overlooking that field that its so not worth it early game
and if you do manage to reach the opposing side and hug the small hill, you may have to worry about anyone at the middle arch or someone north

late game can be deadly too, especially when hunting the artillery since the corridors means arty has a good chance to shotgun you

If I'm ever in a medium/LT and get stuck on that with the enemy heavies drastically outnumbering ours, I just Yolo across field to get underneath the enemy camp ridge. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't and I just move on. The map has 1 small brawl spot which actually matters and the rest is a fucking disaster.