Fulcrous

What do you do to maintain excellent (top 0.1%) dpgs?

Question

I've been having a pretty short fuse when it comes to temper recently.

For the past week I have been struggling to maintain 3600+ DPGs in my Tier 9s and 10s.
It seems that no matter what I do, I always end up getting the short end of the stick.
For example in my M46 Patton, the first shot I have taken frontally has lit me on fire for 3 games in a row. Other times I get double/triple racked.
Sometimes I miss or bounce bullshit shots that should have statistically penetrated or hit the majority of the time and get royally fucked over anyways.
It doesn't seem to matter what tank I play. For instance, in the 50B, I would consistently connect only 2 out of 4 of my clip for no reason besides RNG.

Usually when I complain about stuff like RNG, I understand that I'm just having a bad streak and it will be over eventually.
For instance when I was 3 marking the Obj 140, the biggest obstacle I had was consistently bouncing 70-80% chance to penetrate shots. Once the streak was over and I ended up penetrating based on what is statistically possible, I was able to 3 mark the tank with relative ease.
However it just feels like the game has been "out to get" me. As much as I enjoy the game it's seriously depressing when you're practically being told to "fuck off" by what you cannot control.

TL;DR

What do you do to maintain good dpgs when it seems that the uncontrollable forces of the game (notably RNG) are against you?

18 answers to this question

You really should change "good" in your title to "top 0.1%" since that's the benchmark you're describing, and severely limits the number of people's qualified to answer.

I can't answer how to do that level, because I don't do that level. Once I held 3800 over 200 games in the Batchat, so that's really my only experience, and never in a tier 9. But when I watch the best of the best play, they just seem to refuse to react, even when they roll edge of the reticle twice in a row, or catch a bullshit fire. But this could be a chicken or egg type problem - is the non-reaction the cause of the superior play, or the effect? 

Again, I can't speak to 3600+ beyond a lucky session or so, but I can say how I personally rationalize the limits of my performance. Being trained as a statistician I know there's a limit to the performance imposed by the system. No one can average 12k dpg, just like no one can average 85ppg in the NBA. And talent also sets an upper limit, given equal intelligent hard work. If I had spent any of the last 4 years worried about how I wasn't as good as Kewei or vetro that'd be a waste of time or effort. So all I can worry about are the things I control. And RNG is a system parameter and thus not really something I can control, as long as I'm choosing intelligent shots/engagements.

Sometimes I've noticed it's dependent on how the state of your mind is in. Like I get headaches for instance when I don't drink enough water and don't get enough sleep. It's not worth it to play then, unless you just want to roll in tanks you don't care for DPG.

One thing also is you've also got to understand why you're achieving such high DPG's in the first place. It's not just quickly reacting in the best possible way to a situation, but being able to make new decisions based on different data. I would consider myself back when I played one of the better players in terms of positions, and blindfiring. But when I was at 3k dpg only in T-62a/batchat I went to positions mindlessly, just seeing others get high damages in them. Then I started actually observing more and more spots, and thought about how to use them actively in the game. You can't play the standard meta spots only, that's a basic unicum tier. To go past that you have to think while in the game itself aswell.

This should be able to help you, because when I played ~3k dpg I went to standard positions and would get shit on and would be like wtf. Once I started going to positions because of enemy and team composition, as well as other factors I went way over 4k dpg. 

For example on the AMX 50B north spawn Prokhorovka I would go to A6 when I see the enemy has a composition of light tanks or mediums that can spot the middle really easy. I would change positions once they decided that they took too much damage from me. I would go to D7, or the middle, or E3 based on what would happen, I would sometimes rarely go to the south east hill area. Prokhorovka is one of the simpler maps in terms of positioning, but most people in their mediums get caught up in just going center when other spots are far better for the situation. One match I was playing T-62a, I saw the enemy had 3 accurate artilleries, I saw some unnamed wotlabs terrible unicum go straight to the middle. I told him even they have 3 arty. And hell it was after I made a guide on how to not get artied on Prokhorovka. He went to his normal spot and got obliterated 1 minute into the match. The match continued on for 13 minutes and I didn't get hit once and farmed up 6500 damage. Switching from E2 initially, to the A6 rails, to the mid, over to the hill and back to E2 and I pushed the 2 line.

Here is a example of a decision not even 30 seconds into the match allowing for almost immediate farming.

Or even E-100 center Prok can be OP.

I'll give you also an example I have in COH2 (an RTS game) aswell. I had a match recently where I adapted in a 2v2 midgame, they had an armor advantage with long range tank destroyers on a fairly open map. They also had 2 rocket artilleries. Me and my ally were on the backfoot for a while, but I managed to notice the enemy sends his rocket artillery immediately after firing straight back to his base. It's a easy way some people avoid being counter barraged. Well I put a T-34-85 far out on a flank and after he fired I waited till he got back to his base and attacked both of them wiping them out. This in turn made the 2 enemies turn some armor turn around aswell. This allowed us to break through the center and other flanks and encircle and destroy all their armor (2 stugs Jagdpanzer Jagdtiger 2x Panther) with a Bias-2, 2 SU-85s, and 2 T-34-85s.

The meta thing to do would have been to just kill off all their infantry with rocket artillery, and win with our own infantry, but I saw something that I could take advantage of and I went for it, and it payed off tremendously. It was a change in plans entirely and allowed us to close out a game 20 minutes earlier than a regular strat would have allowed.

It seems like you answered your own question. Obviously you're a very good player but sometimes you get the short end of the stick. It happens. The best answer I can give you as someone who (while not being as good as you are) does get fucked over by RNG sometimes is don't let yourself get too frustrated with the game because that will never help. The shitty times will pass eventually, but they'll be back.

You said it yourself.  Uncontrollable forces. Unless it's your own fault these shots aren't going in (meh aiming, meh leading, not letting the gun aim) which I doubt it is, there really is nothing you can do. I feel like this is all stuff you've heard before. You can't have shitty RNG forever. It's just like the games where you get ammo racked the first shell you take - shit happens. Move on, don't get tilted.

Your problem here seems less about gameplay and more about being perma-tilted.

I'd recommend playing on a different account and just chilling out, not checking DPG, not giving a shit about your performance or better yet, just play a different game for a while.

Come back when you don't feel like there is a slot machine with a knife lurking outside your window or dont come back at all

On 20.2.2017 at 11:26 AM, Gr1nch_1 said:

I cant pull those numbers consistantly but it was bothering me aswell as off recently. So i asked @Va1heru that on the stream once. He said something along the lines that at that level its about session menagment and playing calm. Maybe he can explain a bit further. 

Also i think what x3n4 said in his replay thread about getting into the zone before the session helps alot too. He went into more details in the last few pages.

I cant help you personaly becouse we are in the same boat but this is what i try to do.

I can confirm that Xena's approach isnt unusual. I was a big fan of the finn Poltto, and he once said
that he sometimes watched his countryman EmbryonicJourney (EJ for the community) quite some time
before his sessions and others also to get himself 'in the zone'. 
(EJ was a 4k+ guy on EU back in the days)
He hardly ever switched tanks either. He was in there for one tank only.
If he got clicked in his Leo early, he sat the whole game out no matter what.
If you watch some of the better streamers around even now, most of them take breathing spaces
in between games that can last quite some time,whether they got clicked in the first minute or it was a grueling 15min game.
No thoughtless click on 'battle' on tilt. Sure, they can empty themself Garbad-like, grumbling about clickers, meta, map etc.
But when they do they allow for a cool-down process because everybody can tilt in this game.
(Maybe not Crab because he is able to see the positive in everything :P)

I'd say its pretty easy to define what 0.001% play implies. 
Its a state of mind more than anything else

I either giveup and spam gold or take a break varying from two to seven days

Or even switch to Hearthstone for a bit

Or I sometimes (Almost never :v) go outside and just lay down 

Really nothing you can do to "battle" RNG unfortunately 

I only know one "cure" when SerB decides to troll me. And that's to leave game for today.

Forcing yourself to play will result in being annoyed and losing focus, which isn't really what you want, I believe.

take a break and come back at it another day the second things start going not your way

8 minutes ago, Kolni said:

take a break and come back at it another day the second things start going not your way

I never paid attention to your avatar before, but now I can see how accurate it is.

Checking your account you have pretty good DPGs in your tanks, but it seems you suffer the same problem, the 1st 100 games, seriously, I've been able to mark a lot of tanks avging +4k dpg sessions but that's it, I guess you do the same, we can go tryhard but only for short sessions. As you play WGLNA, you should test some tanks with your sheriff account, because at least for me, it might be the fact that the tier 9 playstyle changes a little bit compared to tier 10, M46-M48, ST-I-IS-4, Conquer-215b etc. Also I think the mindset is really relevant, I've played with Xits, and i don't understand how he can keep calm even after getting fucked by arty or RNG (he's 15 and i'm 19, guess he's more mature than me lol :feelsbad: ), Decha and Vetro are also pretty calm, meanwhile i end up bitching until the battle ends. :triggered: 

From my experience and in all the games I have played in WoT, I can think of one time that I raged out and got angry. But otherwise, nothing ever phases me. No matter how many shots RNG makes me miss, no matter how much damage I take from artillery, I never rage or get upset at it. Part of the reason I can never be a good streamer is that I am so boring to watch, nothing lol fancy, no :rage: fits. Another thing I would suggest is turning off comparisons in your mind and becoming zen-like. Once you have attained this level of indifference and flow. Don't compare the game you are in with any other games, don't compare your failures with your successes, play as if the game you are in is the only thing and will be the only thing that matters. Focus and control mentally is the first step to excellent DPGs.

Now I have nothing high tier to showcase as "super duper excellent" to validate all this seemingly hocus pocus claiming. But I do tolerate the likes of the ARL V39/Tiger P/ Church GC/A44, so I must be onto something.

I cant pull those numbers consistantly but it was bothering me aswell as off recently. So i asked @Va1heru that on the stream once. He said something along the lines that at that level its about session menagment and playing calm. Maybe he can explain a bit further. 

Also i think what x3n4 said in his replay thread about getting into the zone before the session helps alot too. He went into more details in the last few pages.

I cant help you personaly becouse we are in the same boat but this is what i try to do.

For me, the longer I play the less likely I'll be to keep up my DPG for said session. More than likely something usually happens between the 10th and 20th game that puts me full tilt even if I don't recognize it at the time. This is where you just need to stop. You may have great games after this point but the consistency just goes away. 

The major point is just recognizing when shit hit the fan and just to stop playing. I get this problem when I'll just keep clicking battle thinking that the next game will be better, it usually isn't though. 

On 2/20/2017 at 8:40 AM, Rspctd said:

For me, the longer I play the less likely I'll be to keep up my DPG for said session. More than likely something usually happens between the 10th and 20th game that puts me full tilt even if I don't recognize it at the time. This is where you just need to stop. You may have great games after this point but the consistency just goes away. 

The major point is just recognizing when shit hit the fan and just to stop playing. I get this problem when I'll just keep clicking battle thinking that the next game will be better, it usually isn't though. 

I would do 10-20 game sessions. If the first game sucks I just didn't play the entire day. You need to take a break after every 3 matches also. A short 5 minute break to go drink water, clear your brain again, and then you're back to it at max capacity. 

On 2/19/2017 at 7:50 PM, mati_14 said:

Checking your account you have pretty good DPGs in your tanks, but it seems you suffer the same problem, the 1st 100 games, seriously, I've been able to mark a lot of tanks avging +4k dpg sessions but that's it, I guess you do the same, we can go tryhard but only for short sessions. As you play WGLNA, you should test some tanks with your sheriff account, because at least for me, it might be the fact that the tier 9 playstyle changes a little bit compared to tier 10, M46-M48, ST-I-IS-4, Conquer-215b etc. Also I think the mindset is really relevant, I've played with Xits, and i don't understand how he can keep calm even after getting fucked by arty or RNG (he's 15 and i'm 19, guess he's more mature than me lol :feelsbad: ), Decha and Vetro are also pretty calm, meanwhile i end up bitching until the battle ends. :triggered: 

I had something similar for me in the Conqueror. I was averaging 4300dpg (80%wr) solo in it for the first 50 games, then I had a sharp dropoff and now it's a sad 3600dpg 77% solo. It's still """good""", but I think the problem was that I expected myself to do even more and more damage. Maybe it was luck in the first place? But I didn't apply what I said above well to it. That being said, to give you a comparison, I was capable of sustaining 4100dpg in most tierX meds at the time, and with 2 greens meatshielding I did 5200dpg over 100 games in the T110E4.

Starting off with a good mood is very important, as long as you have that you keep rolling in the 6k damage games, game after game.

On 2/19/2017 at 8:37 PM, CraBeatOff said:

If I had spent any of the last 4 years worried about how I wasn't as good as Kewei or vetro that'd be a waste of time or effort.

You're good enough ;D

3 hours ago, A_Chodeful said:

You're good enough ;D

Thanks Dad!

@ProxyCentauri

I can see that. I used to get into that state for other games i was serious about but never for tanks. I'lI try for the zone again when I'm off my much needed break from tanks.

11 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

@ProxyCentauri

I can see that. I used to get into that state for other games i was serious about but never for tanks. I'lI try for the zone again when I'm off my much needed break from tanks.

@Fulcrous
Do that. After your break you will build up some urge to try WoT again and with your mind more focused before you play.
Its more or less equal in any activity that can be described as a 'mind-game'.
When I was a rifle shooter on a decent international level I needed my bubble, my own cubus to build up
the necessary mindset and squeeze out the last bit of concentration. My best rounds happened on an almost
subconscious level. To 'overthink' and 'overfocus' was also wrong.
Look at players like Decha, Fyreon and their likes when they cruise around. Everything happen in a beautiful fluent
sequence, almost like a continous math function with many variables. At their best I am pretty sure
they are in an almost trance-like subconscious state of mind