ProfessorMunroe

VK100.01 - the new "Mini-Maus"?

73 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

My patriot bounced 3-4 standard rounds off of jailbait cupola last night . . . sigh.  However, the shoot the drive wheel, perma-track and DPM farm it like a Tiger II still works just fine.  

This tank is the epitome of WG 2017 meta-dreams, pubbies point front towards enemy, pubbies hear sounds of AP rounds bouncing off of UFP, pubbies get flanked and die last, pubbies buy gold to free-xp next tank for even more orgasmic armored bliss.

Shoot LFP. If the hull is unangled, it is weak, and damages the engine. So, this tank is not really the example of " pubbies point front towards enemy". Even type 4&5, and new Übermaus certainly, benefit a lot from angling, even slight. Just to pass the threshold of gold ammo in its tier.

If you go for cupola, man up and shoot gold. 

Edited by Felicius

Depending on the pen this thing isn't all that invincible from the front. If the LFP is hidden, the turret ring is as viable--if not more--than the cupola due to the lessened rounding and larger size. Plus if you can get around the front everything will go through, it lacks the trololo armour of the Maus. Shooting just above the drive wheel when angled also works well because of the lack of armour behind it.

Tier 6/7 are simply cannon fodder for this tank, but any tier 8+ will have no problem, especially if you 222 liberally.

On 24/2/2017 at 5:07 PM, saru_richard said:

it made the IS-3 irrelevent 

The fuck you smoking?

Well, it definitely is fun to play in tier 8. :disco:

VVWHT1v.jpg

Playing it now. Side armor pretty frustrating vs He. Took 350 from kv2 and 700 from type 5 while sidescrapping 70%+. 

In tier8 games, its a monster, tier 9 you better angle it properly and not underestimate gold spams. In tier 10? Stay behind someone!

I need to do ht 12.3 for t55a, then 15.3 and I'm finished. Have tried everything, rebought the vkb... Have come sooooo close a few times, either marginally not enough DMG or barely short of the x3 blocked. 

Would this be a good tank to give it a go?

From more than 2 squares away, yes, dangerous. Not.... the commanders copula, any tier 8 gun with standard ammo will go through, lower license plate, and.... if you angle the turret to give a flat spot... it will go through. Gold shells from tier 8's go through the cheeks (although not much of it). The dpm isn't anything scary. Most people don't know how to counter it, so... eh... mebe.

Just picked this up.  Used one of my Holiday Ops discount chits on it.  Is it playable stock, or should I burn free xp for the top gun (I stuck torsion bars on it for the time being)?

(edit) Holy crap but does this thing have some ammo capacity...

(edit again) I freexp'd the top gun.  Like it lots.  Optics or vents?

On 12/31/2017 at 4:10 AM, DirtyACE7 said:

The usual: rammer, vert stab, vents

Thanks. I was considering spall liner/optics/gun laying drive.

4 minutes ago, Wewum said:

Thanks. I was considering spall liner/optics/gun laying drive.

Never drop vert stabs on any tank that can run it unless it has some amazing gun handling (t100lt, m48patton)

Also if you have long aim time vents > optics

Also why the hell would you not use rammer? You want to shoot less?

6 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Never drop vert stabs on any tank that can run it unless it has some amazing gun handling (t100lt, m48patton)

Also if you have long aim time vents > optics

Also why the hell would you not use rammer? You want to shoot less?

I think he probably meant to use one of those pieces of equipment he listed not all three, cause you're right, the rammer and vert stab are non-negotiable.

I suppose you can use a gun laying drive for the third slot but I think the vents give you just overall better bonuses and help with things this tank lacks like turret and hull traverse aside and gun handling.

FWIW I just finished grinding it and ran rammer/v stab/optics. 

It drives, turns and shoots like a battleship so I figured the benefits from vents to its playstyle (pre-aimed close combat) are small-ish. However when you get spotted by everyone at least with optics you spot them back when they shoot. Especially with all the tier 10 battles!

It’s hilariously unfair when you get to beat the shit out of everything when top tier, and so frustrating in tier 10 battles (most of the time) when you lack the flexibility to do much other then go fight stuff that laughs at your 260 gold pen and rapes your cupola and lfp without breaking a sweat. There were a few tier 10 battles admittedly where I gave up because it was just frustrating, especially overdosing on it to grind it quickly.

This thing is going to kill me. I can't get to the fight before half my team is dead. And I can't get back to defend base after my flank is won. 43 games with 38% winrate. What are you supposed to do with something this slow? 

4 hours ago, Nalok said:

FWIW I just finished grinding it and ran rammer/v stab/optics. 

It drives, turns and shoots like a battleship so I figured the benefits from vents to its playstyle (pre-aimed close combat) are small-ish. However when you get spotted by everyone at least with optics you spot them back when they shoot. Especially with all the tier 10 battles!

It’s hilariously unfair when you get to beat the shit out of everything when top tier, and so frustrating in tier 10 battles (most of the time) when you lack the flexibility to do much other then go fight stuff that laughs at your 260 gold pen and rapes your cupola and lfp without breaking a sweat. There were a few tier 10 battles admittedly where I gave up because it was just frustrating, especially overdosing on it to grind it quickly.

I would honestly remove the optics and put vents on as that will help with both hull and turret traverse among other things. You will get spotted regardless and no guarantee that you will spot any more or that you will spot them first with optics as you are giant and slow. I just finished playing this tank and my radio man had the situational awareness and it took the view range to like 430 meters which is pretty good for a heavy. And I noticed that I would actually get quite a lot of spotting damage consistently and in fact in one game I got the Patrol Duty medal and I was brawling the entire time. This tank is all about brawling. You are godly when top tier and still solid when mid tier. When bottom tier do your best to be second line and support your top tier heavies. Also don't be afraid to do some sniping in those kind of matches. I was surprised just how reliable the gun is even though the accuracy stat is rather average at best. Also premium ammo in good amount because you will need it.

4 hours ago, Yoko_Ono said:

This thing is going to kill me. I can't get to the fight before half my team is dead. And I can't get back to defend base after my flank is won. 43 games with 38% winrate. What are you supposed to do with something this slow? 

Yes, sometimes that will be your downfall as you will be on a team that is much better than the enemy and so they will kill tanks very quickly before you even get a chance to take a shot. I had a few games like that where I did no damage whatsoever. It really sucks but that's by far the main weakness of this tank. However, those games shouldn't happen very often and you should able to put your gun and armor to good use most of the time. Just head for areas on maps where brawls typically occur and if you're top tier, don't be afraid to lead the way for your team and push in. This tank can take a lot of punishment and will bounce a lot of shots. Sometimes when I played it, it felt like I could simply drive in a straight line and nothing could pen me. The other thing I found very helpful and important to be successful with this tank is to keep everything in front of you. Do your best not to let enemy tanks get on your side or behind you, especially when you're not top tier. If you think you may be rushed or flanked, then start to back up and put some distance between yourself and the enemy, keep all the action in front of you.

Here's a few of my games as examples of how I played it:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4052942#karelia-dirtyace7-vk_100_01_p

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4052947#el_halluf-dirtyace7-vk_100_01_p

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4052956#el_halluf-dirtyace7-vk_100_01_p

Thanks for the replays DirtyAce7

After 99 games played I'm up to 56% winrate from 38% after 43 games. Im willing to say that it was just normal variance because the only thing I was doing different was to camp base when my team lemminged off.

Now that I have unlocked and purchased the Mauschen is there any reason to keep the vk100? I'm on the T-55a missions and I'm not in a clan. 

33 minutes ago, Yoko_Ono said:

is there any reason to keep the vk100?. 

Did you enjoy it and or need the barracks space?

As far as missions go people are reporting the blocking missions are achievable in it, so there's that also. Tho not sure where you're up to in the HT set.

Okay, so grinding this currently. Had the top gun for about 15~ish games and just unlocked the top engine.

I get a lot of people say this is completely OP, and certainly as a top tier it's pretty crushing with the armour and alpha combination. I have to say though so far I'm not feeling it. It's terrible in a landside game, either winning or losing side, because in the former you can't keep up and derpy gun handling mean you end up missing out on a lot of damage, and in the latter, the long reload mean you get swarmed and die very quickly. Side armour is less reliable then I had hoped, and the cupola is troll but still quite vulnerable (and huge, so hard to hide).

In the right circumstances it's very reliable, but I've had too many matches where it's hard to get to a position to leverage it's strengths properly, so lots of sub-par games in the 900-1400 damage range (although somehow I'm currently averaging 1.7k damage, which feels surprisingly high to me). The new MM probably hurts it too as it doesn't get to be top tier very often.

Double post but whatever... finished the grind now, 125 games. 53.6% win rate and only 1,750 damage per game. Had a pretty rough run towards the end of the grind.

Overall, I do get a bit more why people say that it is OP. As top tier, it is very powerful as you can basically roll straight through tier 6s with ease and can 2-shot most of them with your alpha. The high alpha and good pen also means it is decent when bottom tier, as at least you can do more than just tickle higher tier tanks. Gun handling okay if brawling but not made for sniping, which is fair enough. The armour is... well, in some ways excellent, in other ways it will let you down. The side armour is actually really bad for a sidescraper and higher tier guns will pen you in the side if you are even slightly over-angled. Those high-pen TDs can also yolo straight through your turret front too which doesn't help. Lower plate is of course trash as it is the main weakpoint.

As a slow tank, of course you will suffer in a landside game, either way, and the lack of mobility will get you killed and / or lose huge chunks of your health (e.g. mountain pass - my most hated map - trying to cross the open space either side of the bowl in a tier 10 game, goodbye half your health), or simply force you not to go to important areas of the map.

All up, I did kind of enjoy it (I do like slow heavies generally) and it's probably one of the best tier 8 heavies in the game currently. May actually keep it.

I tried replaying this recently, hoping to finish HT 15.3, but I'm not bouncing nearly as much as I think I should be.  And, truth be told, when I face against one of these, I can see why (for the reasons cited).  Pretty much what everyone else has said, but I don't see this as a keeper - it's like a slower Defender with less reliable side armor.