Sign in to follow this  
Sgt. Pepper

VK 30.02 M - (the M stands for manly)

26 posts in this topic

I don't think this tank has a dedicated thread, or if it does, it hasn't been posted in for 12+ months.

So, once in a while, you probably drag your Cromwell(B) out and think "What happens if I put manageable gun handling and decent armor on this?" You get the 3002 M (henceforth referred to as the mini-Panther).

Pros:

• Armor buff on the upper plate gives it 130mm effective armor which trolls lower tier mediums and some tier 6 scouts. VERY fun to bully with the armor on this thing.
  • Second best in-class gun handling for the tier, combined with a lean aiming time of 2.21 and base accuracy of .34 making it an excellent sniper and overall above average snapshotter.
  • weighs 40+ tons. She's a big girl and placing your meaty girth upon helpless 20 ton tier 4s with too little armor is too fun to pass up. Especially with all those Swedish TDs that are like feathers.
  • Gonna place another bullet here for big rams because seriously, anything worth ramming you can catch up to on a downhill slope. 45-50 cruising on flat terrain, 55 definitely downhill means nothing runs away when you attempt to ram it.

The Average:

• Middling DPM. Not as much as a Crom, not as much as an Easy 8, but more than the 34-85 and T25 and Strv 74.
  • Middling speed. Outpaces the slow stuff that you're scared of, you can run away from a flank if you don't overcommit but you're a little iffy on those speedy cap resets. I lost a game because the speed was a little lackluster and couldn't reset.
  • Mildly above average view range, but not enough to warrant a pro. It's 370, which means you can run optics if you run food with it. I prefer binos, for a sweet 486 when bitch camping or trying to spot.

Cons:

• Relatively big with thin side armor. 40mm side armor means the countless 85mm+ guns get 2x overmatch on you making it very hard to sidescrape. You also get raped inside-out if you expose your side to the 105mm HE hoses.
  • Relatively low camo. Not like a cromwell where you get light tank camo.

So yeah, lovely tank. Got my first mark after about 30-35 games, getting top tier is like kicking puppies and when bottom tier, you have enough DPM to make anyone be seriously annoyed. The buffs to its armor were probably more effective than the mild gun dispersion buffs. You turn into a pseudo-heavy when fighting tier 5s and tier 4s are just food for you.

It's been a while since I've played mine, but I really enjoy this tank. Definitely a nice break from all the speedy Cromwell type tanks.

Played this way back when, sold it as soon as the grind was done.. The 3001d was a keeper for a for while though. Is the m better now?

Already have 60% solopub winrate when I was done with it 2-3 years ago.

Back then the dpm was higher than that of Panther M10.

Probably 65% if I were to grind it now.

2 hours ago, Copeyhagen said:

Played this way back when, sold it as soon as the grind was done.. The 3001d was a keeper for a for while though. Is the m better now?

Depends. The buff repositioned armor on the tank. It now has traditional German armor where the upper plate is strong and the LFP is weak. The UFP is around 130 avg and the LFP is 64. It also got slightly better dispersion values with the buff as well. Overall, I think the tank is really fun and think it deserves a thread. It's mobile enough to arrive slightly after the Cromwell, but not fast enough to really get clutch resets. However, you have ample armor to throw people off with your UFP. When angled sharply and "overexposing" over a hill, it gets up to 160 which is enough to shrug off many tier 6 guns (not really heavies or TDs, but why are you using armor to fight heavies and TDs?). The gun is accurate (.33 on mine) and the bloom is manageable, coming with respectable DPM (mine rounds up to 2,300 with rammer and BiA) which allows you to annoy high tiers with a decent enough gun on a pretty mobile chassis that goes 40-50 nearly everywhere. I honestly think it's a very good tank, the only thing it can't do is assault open areas, with not enough camo or armor to make it able to survive.

The Baby Panther is a fine tank, but it does not have enough positives to move it past the Cromwell B or the Type-64 to make it a premier tier 6 SH tank.  I have not played WoT since Oct. 2015 - but I owned all three at the time and my previous statement was true at the time.  It's a nice easy step on the grind upward, and a very fine tank for it's tier in my opinion.  Yet I never considered playing it in SH back then because of the other two tanks I mentioned - both generated premium credits and crew XP for other tanks - the Baby Panther could not.

One of my most-played tanks as I stayed a while to grind crews and try to learn a bit of the game when I started. I echo sentiment above though that I preferred the 3001D to the M version, but they are both decent enough.Tempted to go back and try them both out again now that they've been buffed.

27 minutes ago, Pinkerson said:

2 marked it,  shit winrate because i played it solo all the time

I would like to play it again - I really would - but Tier 6s seem to get shit on by T8s all the time with powercreep premium spam 24/7. What do you do to play effectively as bottom tier? Or do you steamroll T6 games and hope for the best in T8?

4 hours ago, lavawing said:

I would like to play it again - I really would - but Tier 6s seem to get shit on by T8s all the time with powercreep premium spam 24/7. What do you do to play effectively as bottom tier? Or do you steamroll T6 games and hope for the best in T8?

Abuse view range(with optics) and use double bushes(good luck on city map).  Basically maximize gun handling,  dpm and view range since this tank is a pure sniper. Tier 8 can be tough also, just don't be too aggressive, it actually has decent enough pen unlike other tanks.  

VK 30.01 (P) is much better, after megabuff it received. handling, AP and APCR penetration is now on par with this one (88 the same as l70), even armor - now has stronger turret than Tiger P had before this patch. Feels like mini-tiger, a tier lower, just more mobile.

26 minutes ago, Felicius said:

VK 30.01 (P) is much better, after megabuff it received. handling, AP and APCR penetration is now on par with this one (88 the same as l70), even armor - now has stronger turret than Tiger P had before this patch. Feels like mini-tiger, a tier lower, just more mobile.

I'd say the two tanks are on par now, but for some reason the 3002 M has 840 HP vs 750 on the 3001 P. The 3001 P also has nearly nil hull armor (75mm flat) but the turret is armored just as well as the Tiger P. I suppose it might be a tradeoff for what you prefer. From what I remember my friend playing of it, it also rarely if ever reached the top speed of 60 kmh, whereas the VK consistently cruises at 45-50 and almost always goes downhill at 55kmh.

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'd say the two tanks are on par now, but for some reason the 3002 M has 840 HP vs 750 on the 3001 P. The 3001 P also has nearly nil hull armor (75mm flat) but the turret is armored just as well as the Tiger P. I suppose it might be a tradeoff for what you prefer. From what I remember my friend playing of it, it also rarely if ever reached the top speed of 60 kmh, whereas the VK consistently cruises at 45-50 and almost always goes downhill at 55kmh.

I meant chiefly because of the firepowah department. Before this patch it had sub-par shell penetration (firstly they buffed the AP pen on all 88s, now APCR). It received huge gun handling buff, meaning that it has more or less average soft stats now, as compared to worst in tier before (worse than Crommie).

Still not so good as with VK, but I have a 3 skill crew in it, so it is fine. 

regarding hull armor - yes, it is paper, worse than Pz. 4, a tier lower. But you will hardly ever bounce anything with hull in a tier 6 med, anyway. Not even with VK 30.01 (D), which had better hull armor than the 3002 M before this patch (and smaller turret, which is important. Panther Schmallturm is good because small target at ranges you would employ it). feels kinda unloved now.

In VK, too, you bounced almost nothing with the hull before the patch. Now it has panther hull armor, which is nice...but 220 alpha+good turret+almost the same dpm is worth more IMHO. besides, When i had panther, tier 6 meds made plenty of holes in my UFP, this armor buff will just make you a bully vs tier 5 too poor to load gold. 130 effective is as good as you can get...which is meh. Turret armor buff on VK means a lot, even vs tier 7 and bad tier 8s.

4 minutes ago, Strigonx said:

Overmatch only happens after more than 3x though.......

RTFW: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Overmatch

"If the AP or APCR shell's caliber is more than 2 times the nominal thickness of the armour (Such as a 130mm shell hitting a 60mm thick plate), projectile shell normalization is increased by the following formula: basic normalization * 1.4 * shell caliber / nominal armour thickness. Note that the shell is still capable of bouncing if it strikes the armor at an angle of 70° or more from normal."

This is different from 3x overmatch.

I think one of the greatest disservices that WG has done to any tree is the massive amount of 'VK' confusion that reigns in the german mid tiers.  I have not played a lot of german tanks so I tend to covet the tanks that most often shit on my tanks- but with all of the VK's I never really know which one of the anonymous faceless germans I am fighting.  All of the roman numerals and Ps, Hs, Ms don't help any.  All of these tanks had nick names,  If WG would have used actual names or at least distinguished the nomenclature better, I think a lot more people would have chosen to go down the complicated confusing German lines.

13 minutes ago, Evelyn said:

You were close. The M stands for MAN, Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg.

I know it doesn't stand for manly. It's called a joke. This tank is manly tho, because you get big rams.

And I was just affirming that your joke is pretty close to what it stood for in actuality, in case you didn't know the extra little bit of trivia.

3 MoEd all 3 german tier VI meds before the changes. And on paper, though looking nice, the buffs to the M don't seem enough to offset the yuge superiority of the D (huehue), which got buffs, albeit smaller, of its own. And the P, which I found better than the M, got even more buffed than it from what I can read.

M wins in looks, though. (at least until D gets an HD model). But winning in looks is hardly manly.

On 1/3/2017 at 1:31 PM, nemlengyel said:

On 27/2/2017 at 3:12 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Cons:

• Relatively big with thin side armor. 40mm side armor means the countless 85mm+ guns get 2x overmatch on you making it very hard to sidescrape

This is different from 3x overmatch.

it especifically said in the OP 2x overmatch, i know what the 3x rule is, i was pointing the mistake here

Well, 5 games in it so far, its pretty easy to play and it does shit on lower tiers hilariously.  The armor has flat out saved me a couple of times.  IMHO this thing is a lot better than the easy-8, which tends to out dpm its aim time too much and has zero holding ability.  Also 840 HP = squeee! It traverses like it has oars though.  Another couple hours of boosters and I'll be well on my way to the E50.  

I actually aced this thing in a tier 8 match.  When bottom tier load sprem and snipe.  Played as static (so binocs, not optics) b/c you'll definitely get spotted when on the move.  Yeah, it's a boat, but that fits the line overall.  I really enjoyed this tank.  I'm not wading into the P vs. D vs. M wars, but I wouldn't regret having to play any of them all over again.  Lots of nice choices among the tier 6 German meds.  At tier 7...totally different story.

12 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

IMHO this thing is a lot better than the easy-8, which tends to out dpm its aim time too much and has zero holding ability.

I dunno about "better," but I damned sure preferred the VK over the easy-8.

Sign in to follow this