Sign in to follow this  
Folterknecht

Gaming capable Laptop with battery life and reasonable price

29 posts in this topic

Gut reaction was "But, dude, you're pimping a Dell..."

And then I watched the video, and am disturbingly interested in the laptop... especially as I need a replacement.

Off to visit Dell's site... shudder(tm)

Well I was tired of searching the video for the 2016 model (a 960M if I remember it right) every time some one was asking for a gaming laptop here. So I just posted it here and thanks to the powers Lord Solono has granted me, I pinned it.

Dell and HP aren't as shitty as they used to be. some of their laptops are actually really nice now.

If you're serious about a gaming laptop though, you can get one with a full-fledged GTX 1060 for a decent price.

It's worthy for it's price. But only decent when you decide to play online games only.( Or whatever games before 2014?):doge:

Laptop with 1060 or 1070 FTW. They aren't expensive.

40 minutes ago, CoolOff said:

Yeah, I'd aim for a 1060 at this point, they aren't even that expensive.

But bumping to that means jumping from Dell to Alienware branding, and an extra $350+ in costs...

Guys - you re somewhat missing the point here, being gaming capable @1080, good battery life (school, college ...) and price point being around the 800$ mark. Sure putting a 1060 in there will add an other 50+% performance, but battery life takes a big hit (desktop 1060 draws 50+% more power than desktop 1050Ti).

Unbenannt.jpg

44 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Guys - you re somewhat missing the point here, being gaming capable @1080, good battery life (school, college ...) and price point being around the 800$ mark. Sure putting a 1060 in there will add an other 50+% performance, but battery life takes a big hit (desktop 1060 draws 50+% more power than desktop 1050Ti).

I can see the case for that. I personally don't see any point as my MSI Apache Pro lasts long enough for 2 classes.
However I will admit it is a great steal for $800 if someone wants something that can last long for classes and can play games for a cheap price.

59 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Also don't forget you have a real 4 core CPU in there at that price point, not some 2 core/hyperthreaded nonsense.

This is what I've liked about this model since last year. The current revision just makes it more appealing with the 10-series gpu.

3 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Same

I too, have a mancrush on LinusLuke.

5 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

For the less tech savvy amoung us, how much battery life would you lose going from the Inspiron 15 Gaming with 960m to the 7000 gaming with 1050 or 1050ti?  Thinking longevity not only for off the cable, but also for time (3+ years?) in order to pitch it to the at-home accountant...  As I have no laptop currently.  E.g.  I assume the 1050/1050ti would age better... but how badly would it kill the battery life, or should I save the $100/use it for an SSD, and get the 960m?

I have the 960m/i7 version of it and if I run it in power saver mode while doing class work, 6 hours sounds about right. I've had it for about 6-9 months and I haven't noticed a change in the battery life for the most part. The thing is on battery life, you are typically not going to use your dedicated card, but your integrated card. Since the version you are looking at will have the i5 a year newer, with the same battery, I think you would be crazy to get the 960m version. I'm not 100% sure though, so if someone can verify what I've said that would be great. 

Over all though, I'm super happy with this laptop glad I picked it up. 

Fuck me that looks great, feeling shit here I'm currently running a gigabyte P17F v5.

here's its specs

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Laptop/P17F-v5#kf

This shit costs at full price $2200 NZ dollars, I was caught in by a black Friday sale and it was going for $1700, I couldn't resist it.

I might invest my older sister into getting that dell laptop looks great at $2100 NZ currently. 

If anyone is interest, I'm running an ASUS ROG GL552VW and I'm really happy with it. Granted, work purchased it for me so I didn't have to pay for it so it's hard not to be happy but overall it's actually pretty solid for gaming as well as work.

Of course there are newer laptops available now...

15 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Crush? Hell no. They just release a lot of good content most of the time

I'd suggest GamersNexus or Level1Tech.

Sign in to follow this