Marty

HD map reworks

123 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2017 at 3:35 AM, nemlengyel said:

eh, prok is cool if there is no arta

malinovka, on the other hand...

Sorry, but this is downvote. Malinovka is one of the best maps (if not the best) in WOT. 

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/sandbox-hd-maps/

Sandbox reopens today with 12 HD maps. Recreated using the power of the new graphics engine, they provide even deeper immersion and give each battlefield a unique, distinguished flare with a range of new visual effects. Trust us, you haven’t seen World of Tanks quite like this! The long-term fate of these improvements will be determined, in large, by you. So join in to get hands-on with new maps and share your input.

That is a godsent. Now we can hopefully burry that embarassing other thread somewhere, where nobody ever comes across.

Interested to know what the fps hit is, in general. I'm running about 80 atm and worry that I'll get half that.

Holy shit, not only they look absolutely stunning, they made them both set in Greece!! 

1 hour ago, kariverson said:

Holy shit, not only they look absolutely stunning, they made them both set in Greece!! 

Will you be able to run over unemployed drunks in your tank then?

:PogChamp:

Anyway. OK, Cliff is Greece maybe Turkey. But Abbey should be Italy. :panting:

21 minutes ago, hall0 said:

:PogChamp:

Anyway. OK, Cliff is Greece maybe Turkey. But Abbey should be Italy. :panting:

Mines is Greece for sure you can see the Church with the cross (Very offensive symbolism lately :p). Cliff might actually based in Italy and these might be Roman buildings. I'm not sure. Might be either way.

28 minutes ago, CandyVanMan said:

Will you be able to run over unemployed drunks in your tank then?

You could try! But watch your fire, don't shoot the ancient stuff.

I'm guessing they need rework game ground up? New engine and stuff??? 

On 06/10/2017 at 11:25 AM, kariverson said:

Yes, because Greece was the only place where people build templs, or even where greeks were.

Watching the vids on the previous pages w/o sound : QB's facial reactions are hilarious.

They are stunning indeed. Gotta give it to WG. It's nice that I got an email to test them in supertest :D

El Hallouf is barely recognizable. Love how they expanded the scenery way beyond the map limits, though said map limits might seem even more frustratingly arbitary now.

Also, judging from the video : funny how it makes everything seems *bigger* (when it probably isn't) Mostly has to do with they don't have to close the map with absurd-looking horizon-blocking hills.

37 minutes ago, Sidus_Preclarum said:

El Hallouf is barely recognizable. Love how they expanded the scenery way beyond the map limits, though said map limits might seem even more frustratingly arbitary now.

Also, judging from the video : funny how it makes everything seems *bigger* (when it probably isn't) Mostly has to do with they don't have to close the map with absurd-looking horizon-blocking hills.

Exactly my thoughts too, as soon as I saw what they did beyond the boundary I was instantly impressed. Does more for the visuals than anything else, in my opinion. Game looks like a proper title now.

On 09/10/2017 at 9:37 AM, Sidus_Preclarum said:

Yes, because Greece was the only place where people build templs, or even where greeks were.

Ionic columns, Classical/Hellenistic statuary. On balance of probability it's meant to be in Greece itself, their architecture didn't travel much. Temples in Greek territories aroad would be built more in the local style (eg Ptolemaic period Egypt, Graeco-Parthian etc.).

21 minutes ago, woe2you said:

Ionic columns, Classical/Hellenistic statuary. On balance of probability it's meant to be in Greece itself, their architecture didn't travel much. Temples in Greek territories aroad would be built more in the local style (eg Ptolemaic period Egypt, Graeco-Parthian etc.).

yeah, I mean, who has ever heard of classical Greeks on what is now the Turkish coast (you know, Ionia…), in Southern Italy or Sicily… /s

8 minutes ago, Sidus_Preclarum said:

yeah, I mean, who has ever heard of classical Greeks on what is now the Turkish coast, in Southern Italy or Sicily… /s

Uh, good burn. Also, least one forgets, the romans had a thing for all things greek and exported these styles all over the place as well.

1 minute ago, Sidus_Preclarum said:

yeah, I mean, who has ever heard of Greeks on what is now the Turkish coast, in Southern Italy or Sicily… /s

Temples in Sicily tend to be mostly Doric style and local sandstone. I'll give you northern Turkey though.

I must admit I didn't look at the columns orders

But the ubiquitous campanile WG seems to be putting everywhere (including mines, still) certainly smacks of Italy.

Hell, the whole of Abbey is a smaller and rearranged Cassino

Seriously, I think we can't get any more precise than "general mediterranean atmosphere"

Let's just revel in the fact it's generally looking great.

Where's Victor been on his holidays recently? ;)

no way this is going to run lag free on russian potato machines. 

8 minutes ago, hall0 said:

no way this is going to run lag free on russian potato machines. 

You can always create low detail versions of the maps, with identical layout. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the part that keeps HD maps from appearing in the game.

Just now, Sidus_Preclarum said:

inb4 inconsistencies between physical and visual models everywhere.

Why change the habit of a lifetime?