Marty

HD map reworks

123 posts in this topic

If I could be arsed I'd throw together a gif of a levitating shiny HD rock in "deal with it" shades. But it wouldn't do for me to put in more effort than WG, so you'll just have to imagine it.

Yeah that's the problem. We do already have those inconsistencies on the maps today if we lower the settings to the minimum. 

Here more video footage. Poko hill seems to be a bit lower to be honest. Anyway I am excited to play the Sandbox tomorrow :D

Yep Prokhorova map can see bit of gameplay change, hill and top right corner are lowered, also some other angles are different. For example south side middle near track seems more gently sloping, forcing driving more open to shoot hill. Also some bushes top of hill removed or rearranged etc etc. IMHO Prokhorova is kind of special map where even slight changes of angles and slopes can make big differences. Unfortunately makes even more open for arties.

Like how they added some random pillars Cliff middle, gives some arty cover. Probably reason they have added castles and pillars and stuff all around. And same with Mines.

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

Uh, good burn. Also, least one forgets, the romans had a thing for all things greek and exported these styles all over the place as well.

That's why I said the Cliff map might as well be Roman and it could go either way. The statues looked more roman than Greek. 

Now for the Greek temples that are located outside of the modern Greek borders, that doesn't make them less Greek. ;) Turks there came over a thousand years after these were build.

1 hour ago, hall0 said:

Poko hill seems to be a bit lower to be honest.

All the distances seem to be closer for some reason. Might be because everything is much more crisp even at distance. 

I'm very excited to play them tomorrow too. Thick forests look awesome. Kinda scary for what's hiding in there! 

Steppes seem to have a lot of gameplay changes too on the east side. Now TDs can actually get on that little hill and snipe the whole side. 

1 hour ago, hall0 said:

Yeah that's the problem. We do already have those inconsistencies on the maps today if we lower the settings to the minimum. 

Here more video footage. Poko hill seems to be a bit lower to be honest. Anyway I am excited to play the Sandbox tomorrow :D

Wow.

Most maps seems to make a lot more sense, now, if you know what I mean.

Also, is it me, or will that castle in El Halluf provide more arty cover than there is now ?

5 hours ago, DHP said:

It's beautiful...

Steppe seems to be in Crimea. You can see the Schwerer Gustav at 2:43

What the fuck tanks get wet now.... : 

Either that CAX is not moving at full speed or the maps really are bigger. Or there's something wierd going on with ground resistances or top speed in that russian video above, linked by DHP.

Either way, these maps don't just appear visually more beautiful, but the gameplay will be quite different. I see a renaissance of long range fire incoming at least on some of them. It'll feel like almost entirely new maps. Huge thing for the game and my interest in it.

On Mines did they put a wall on the center hill which would stop shots into the south spawn but leave it open to shot at the north? I hope I'm wrong cause that would be dumb. 

2 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Either that CAX is not moving at full speed or the maps really are bigger. Or there's something wierd going on with ground resistances or top speed in that russian video above, linked by DHP.

Either way, these maps don't just appear visually more beautiful, but the gameplay will be quite different. I see a renaissance of long range fire incoming at least on some of them. It'll feel like almost entirely new maps. Huge thing for the game and my interest in it.

i'm with ya, maps have DEFINITELY been resize.

look at 10.30 the entrante to the top of mines twice as big. Even the distance between the rock in the middle and the rest is WAY bigger.

2 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Maybe played with 50% crew? It appears to be really sluggish, while other tanks don't.

While the maps indeed look quite a bit bigger, the scale of them compared to speeds of tanks should be correct.

Did a quick calculations based on the Steppes video. It appears to be first 9.20.1 CT FV4005 with 50km/h top speed = ~13,88m/s. It travels from one basecamp spot to another. Using ruler on Map Tactics, this is roughly 480-485m. 480(m)/13,88(m)=~34,5s. He does it in around 39s (leaves one camp spot at 1:02 and reaches middle gorge at 1:41, I measured the distance from these spots). Considering acceleration and not being able to hold top speed all the time, and route not being straight, that is more or less accurate.

So if the maps did get bigger, the tanks got faster. Although I don't know if current speed of tanks is accurate to the map size.

Other option is, the maps are the same size, but everything else got smaller. Tanks, other models/assets. Together with hill and elevation changes being more shallow it creates the illusion of bigger map.

Edit: calculation number 2, Prokh in Pzw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEN-YzOojs )

At 15s, he is at the almost top left corner of B2, crosses the rails at 33s = 18s roughly. Travels 368m, measured on current map in MapTactics. Topspeed of 74km/h (~20,5m/s), again some acceleration, route is not straight, and loss of speed at the end. 368/20,5=17,95s. Again very accurate, if anything it does it a little faster then it should.

3 hours ago, DHP said:

Steppe seems to be in Crimea. You can see the Schwerer Gustav at 2:43

Don't think you can infer from the statics they use to the location. Himmelsdorf has a sunk Tirpitz in it. No Bismark Class Battleship ever sunk in a german harbor. They just use this tatics to make it look cool. Redshire for example has a huge Zeppelin wreck in it. No Zeppelins this size were used during WW2. But it looks cool nonetheless.

In one of the Gamescon Videos they said, that they want to use one special static on every map if my memories don't fail me. Redshire has the Zeppelin, Stepps the Gustav, Himmelsdorf the Tirpitz and so on. 

38 minutes ago, hall0 said:

Don't think you can infer from the statics they use to the location. Himmelsdorf has a sunk Tirpitz in it. No Bismark Class Battleship ever sunk in a german harbor. They just use this tatics to make it look cool. Redshire for example has a huge Zeppelin wreck in it. No Zeppelins this size were used during WW2. But it looks cool nonetheless.

In one of the Gamescon Videos they said, that they want to use one special static on every map if my memories don't fail me. Redshire has the Zeppelin, Stepps the Gustav, Himmelsdorf the Tirpitz and so on. 

You sure you got the right maps in mind?

10 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

You sure you got the right maps in mind?

Yes.

Redshire. Flying Zeppelin on the left screen. Zeppelin wreck in the background on the right

Himmeldorfs: Battleship in the background.

and the Gustav was already mentioned by DHP so I skip this one

Completely missed Himmelsdorf having a harbour now -.-

Some russian native can perhaps add more detail, but in @DHP linked video the guy mentions ULTRA texture pack like we have HD client now. Since the client is capped at 122 and I am constantly 122 anyway, this might be interesting to try out. 60fps is the minimum I require so there is room for additional crap.

Anyone knows how big this supertest client is? I started with a 2,x Gb update, followed by 4,x Gb and now another 5,8 Gb Update. 

4 minutes ago, hall0 said:

Anyone knows how big this supertest client is? I started with a 2,x Gb update, followed by 4,x Gb and now another 5,8 Gb Update. 

Oh gods... It's at least two days of downloading for me. 

According to some in the official forum the download is indeed around 12-13 Gb big. And the server should go live in about 2 hours. 

Yep testserver is running but i don´t know for how long. I had it now already several times the other team were stuck in the loadings screen and other team could just farm you. And a whole team stuck in the loading screen is not a small bug you can just ignore because after two times stuck you are getting pissed. 

But the maps itself looking amazing. And I don´t rly mean the map itself but the stuff what is behind the red line. It creates a feeling the map is gigantic. 

Yeah, same here. 2/3 games enemy team did not load in the game. Kinda sucks. And yes, maps look good, although I feel those generic rocks they've placed around are a nightmare.

Also, guys look up for "EN Channel" in-game for online English speaking players.

Nice, my faps is rock solid 60 with everything. @2K resolution! 

4790K - 32GB - GTX1070

Nice job WG