Marty

HD map reworks

123 posts in this topic

So far I played pretty much all maps on SB (minus Sand River and Murowanka) and the performance with max settings is fairly good - depending on the map ~50-90 fps. Only very few maps (especially mines) have spots with more or less massive fps drops - sometimes even below 30 fps. 

Water effects are fantastic (waves, wet tanks, wave physics etc). And now there is a spot on steppes were you can actually drown. Physically destructible objects are a nice addition, but sadly only small objects are affected. 

Some maps have some "epic" scenery, like the sunken battleship on himmelsdorf, or the zeppelin wreck on redshire (which can work as arty cover). 

What I noticed is that most climbs are gone (but I wasn't much of a climber anyway) and there are tons of spots with more and better arty cover. Also some maps got changed pretty gameplay wise fairly significant (steppes, 90 line) while other only have seen only minor changes, like missing rocks or bushes. 

Specs: Xeon E3-1230v3 - 16GB RAM - Sapphire R9 290 OC 

wotlabs <- channel is ready for those who want English speaking players with functional brain between ears. 

EDIT. WZ-111 5A has broken model. Team with this tank will NOT load into battle at all. Do NOT take it.

1 hour ago, MacusFlash said:

EDIT. WZ-111 5A has broken model. Team with this tank will NOT load into battle at all. Do NOT take it.

All 9.20.1 new tanks have this glitch apparently.

5ZbG3jc.png

4 minutes ago, DHP said:

All 9.20.1 new tanks have this glitch apparently.

Guess what kind of platoon I've just met... Jeez, WG should send info about it ASAP and then ban every moron trying to play it on purpose to ruin a battle for his team.

Oh my god they look so fucking good! I don't have any fps problems. a good 80fps at ultra. in 4k in sand river. 60fps in himmels at the spawn with everyone moving.

3970x, 16GB, GTX 1080

I run it at ultra, everything, literally everything set to max I get dank FPS, above the old limit in the current live version(127), I did tank to 80fps somehow at the start of Abbey tho.The game looks way better AND I get more fps, very well done so far.

7700K, 16GB DDR4, GTX1080

On 10/10/2017 at 3:15 PM, Sidus_Preclarum said:

Also, floating HD rocks.

6h72M85.jpg

Top of the class, that man.

12 minutes ago, Siimcy said:

This reminds me strongly of BF1. :serb:

k0OJGgh.jpg

I think that bit's copy-pasted straight from the WW1 map.

The novelty wears off quite fast tho. Checked out 4-5 maps in training room with a friend. Yes, they do look nice and atmospheric. Then you are reminded that the gameplay is still shit. Also, as described above, dont take WZ tenks to battle. Even training rooms dont load.

Mali has a dank new meta spot in A0 :) Some other map adjustments are also welcome and frankly, long over due. Goating has been cut down significantly. So, definitely improvements mechanics wise. Enough to bring back left players? - doubt it.

1 hour ago, Vesirott said:

The novelty wears off quite fast tho. Checked out 4-5 maps in training room with a friend. Yes, they do look nice and atmospheric. Then you are reminded that the gameplay is still shit. Also, as described above, dont take WZ tenks to battle. Even training rooms dont load.

Mali has a dank new meta spot in A0 :) Some other map adjustments are also welcome and frankly, long over due. Goating has been cut down significantly. So, definitely improvements mechanics wise. Enough to bring back left players? - doubt it.

This is graphics overhaul only, tanks, corridors and bots are still a thing.

But they did nice job bringing present to the tanks. Looks nice, FPS is nice, a few tweaks and this can hit live without problem. Only problem is how this works on low and mid range configurations. 

Running the HD sandbox on my main (home) rig I noticed lower CPU usage than on the 9.20 Client, which is interesting, even with the destruction Physics turned on.

On my little Alienware alpha, with a 6600T and 960GTX performance at 1440P with everything up to max but on the "SD" texture client was fine 50FPS ish, but I had black textures on some things maybe It is a bug in the SD textures. 

All in all it seems pretty well optimised. and looks much more lush and interesting. 

I can't find the list of the HD maps but it looks like they focused mainly on the WGL maps.

2 hours ago, Hokum15 said:

Running the HD sandbox on my main (home) rig I noticed lower CPU usage than on the 9.20 Client, which is interesting, even with the destruction Physics turned on.

On my little Alienware alpha, with a 6600T and 960GTX performance at 1440P with everything up to max but on the "SD" texture client was fine 50FPS ish, but I had black textures on some things maybe It is a bug in the SD textures. 

All in all it seems pretty well optimised. and looks much more lush and interesting. 

I didn't even think to check CPU usage. I noticed I was losing 0-5FPS compared to the live client, but this rig is pretty old (X5660/R9 280X). Might finally get an OC on.

Edit: cheers SlackBladder (woof!), found the Sandbox forum thanks to your screenie. You'd think they'd shove a link in the welcome email or something.

1 hour ago, woe2you said:

You'd think they'd shove a link in the welcome email or something.

Why people overestimate WG and their incompetence.

FFS their site doesn't have login for subpages. :serb:

System: 

Ryzen 7 1700x @3.8Ghz
16GB DDR4 @2933hz
EVGA 1070 Gaming No OC

ASUS ROG B350
Game installed on an Samsung 850 EVO
1080p 144hz ROC Gaming panel

Game Settings:

VSync: Off

Shadows/Motion Blur/Grass all off or minimum allowed
All other settings maximum

FPS
Himmelsdorf: 45 minimum during a brawl, 80 sitting in spawn. Average about 65
Steppes: 35 when driving past enemy team (They had a 5A, so no connect), 90 sitting in spawn, about 70 average

Cliff: 55 minimum, 80 maximum. Average about 70

Murovanka: about 60 minimum (Enemy did not load, so I avoided going close), 85 max, about 75 average

I run the HD version for the current patch, and I rarely see less than 115fps even in the heaviest of brawls. I also was recording using Action! Recorder, CPU utilisation was never more than 45% I believe. 

I'll get another session tonight and upload results

1 hour ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Steppes: 35 when driving past enemy team (They had a 5A, so no connect), 90 sitting in spawn, about 70 average

What do you mean with the 5A-comment?

Team that has this tank in it doesn't load into the match. 

There was a bug yesterday that if a team had a WZ-111-5a or WZ TD the team would not load into the game, meaning either a zombie team, or both teams locked for 15 minutes and a draw.

This update will finally convince me to drop advanced graphics for standard. Something I should have done ages ago.

Fuck all the clutter and the fps drops. I never played this game for its looks anyway. Framerate is life (tm). 

Playing shooters and dipping below 100fps makes me sad. I don't get how people can cap them at 60 and be happy. 

Because most people do not have >60Hz monitors? Not to even think about most people not even having more than 60FPS to begin with?

Also, thanks for reminding me. I knew I forgot to add something to my end-of-the-year-shopping-spree-list.

It's not like 144Hz 1080p or 1440p monitors are as dirt cheap as 60Hz monitors are - more on the contrary. And probably the average gamer isn't willing to pay 200-800€ for a monitor, not to speak of a middle- to high-end GPU necessary to reach such a level of both high fps and graphical fidelity. 

Also it's nothing new that WoT isn't exactly well optimized and depending on the graphical settings and map the fps go sometimes all over the place.