Marty

HD map reworks

123 posts in this topic

Ok after the first "shock" how good everything looks. What do you think about the actual map changes?

Stepps got a total redesign on the medium side. New camper/TD hills etc.

Pokhorovkas hill is now lower and the midridge has also changed. 

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

Because most people do not have >60Hz monitors?

44 minutes ago, TheMadDragon said:

It's not like 144Hz 1080p or 1440p monitors are as dirt cheap as 60Hz monitors are - more on the contrary. And probably the average gamer isn't willing to pay 200-800€ for a monitor, not to speak of a middle- to high-end GPU necessary to reach such a level of both high fps and graphical fidelity. 

Also it's nothing new that WoT isn't exactly well optimized and depending on the graphical settings and map the fps go sometimes all over the place. 

You don't need a >60Hz monitor to enjoy the decrease in input lag you get by running at 120fps compared to 60.

High refresh rate is a nice perk, but low input lag is crucial. 

I'm not sure there any fundamental changes, Mines is a bit different, it looks bigger but I can't tell whether that is the new backgounds that allow you to see into the distance. 

Mountain Pass, aside not being snow covered is exactly the same as far as I can tell which means it's still royally shit and constricted. 

The camping TD spots either end of Steppes just make that flank more annoying IMO.

Overall they seem to have smoothed out elevation changes on most maps, things are less steep, hill don't seem as high, there are more dips around etc. 

3 minutes ago, Sapros said:

You don't need a >60Hz monitor to enjoy the decrease in input lag you get by running at 120fps compared to 60.

High refresh rate is a nice perk, but low input lag is crucial. 

:facepalm:

37 minutes ago, Hokum15 said:

Anyone know why there are no winter maps on the test? 

They are coming, was mentioned in some dev interview.

1 hour ago, tajj7 said:

I'm not sure there any fundamental changes, Mines is a bit different, it looks bigger but I can't tell whether that is the new backgounds that allow you to see into the distance. 

Mountain Pass, aside not being snow covered is exactly the same as far as I can tell which means it's still royally shit and constricted. 

The camping TD spots either end of Steppes just make that flank more annoying IMO.

Overall they seem to have smoothed out elevation changes on most maps, things are less steep, hill don't seem as high, there are more dips around etc. 

Map sizes are same as old, backgrounds just make them look larger. Most of maps are identical compared to old ones except small changes there and there. Like those temple ruins/pillars/castles they have springled here and there to give arty cover. For example El Halluf top corner medium brawling area has now castles/whatever giving arty cover for meds peeking each other close range.

Anyone can say what is problem when I feel textures look little bit of pixelated/flickering especially when moving? Too low fps at around 55fps?

Edit: hmm could be Chromatic Aberration

I noticed a couple of probably more or less important changes. Some of them could have significant impacts on the way maps are played in for example clan wars. 
Also I have to note that I'm not a climber and I played all maps with a Centurion AX, so other people could have had a different experience than me in certain spots. 

Redshire:

• Hill in the north east got flatter and climbing is pretty much impossible.
  • Zeppelin Wreck on the east provides cover against arty.
  • Some areas in the south got reworked and provide some cover and "hideouts". 
  • I found a couple of buildings with something like a roofed driveway where you can hide your tank and which provide cover, but that's rather gimmicky.

Steppes:

• East side got reworked pretty heavily as hall0 already said.
  • A hill got added in the north-east at A6 (I think) which provides some cover against snipers from A2/A3.
  • the west side got a couple of areas of shallow water, but I don't think it has much off a impact on ground resistances.
  • Also further north you have the addition of a small lake, which is mostly beyond map borders but still has a spot at D1 where you can drown your tank. 

Cliff:

• the addition of the temple thing on the small mountain in the middle pretty removes climbing and provides more arty cover.
  • Also the spotting bush at F1/G1 has no more hard cover. 

Abbey:

• I think some bushes and stones got changed at H3 so that defending the base from that spot gets somewhat more difficult.
  • A lot of bushes got removed at K7, so no more (or lesser) invisible hardcore campers in CW.
  • The driveway inside the monastery at E6 got bigger so that even fatter mediums like the CAX fit through it.
  • Some changes on the ridge in the middle of the 7-line: I think they removed the path at D7, but added other paths, so that it's more easier to reach the ridge from both sides.  
  • The spot at F5 inside the monastery got reworked a bit: some of the walls got removed so its easier to shot at enemies below you but it's also easier to get shot. And they added
    a path where you can drive downwards towards the base. 
  • I think the removed the possibility to reach the land parts on the 9/0 line.

Himmelsdorf:

• I didnt noticed much, apart from some invincible street signs there is only one spot at A0 where you can push a tank other a wall, where you than have hardcover and can shot at enemies
    that drive down the hill towards the base. 

El Halluf: 

• The biggest change I remember are the addition of castle-like structures in the north-west part around C2/B3 which provide massive arty cover.

The are probably tons of other changes I missed or forgot, but I have to admit that I was more focused on the nice shiny new graphics and gimmicky destructible objects :facepalm:

Had a good long training room session with a clan mate and overall most maps have not changed that much, it's more about slight changes in elevation in places (LOL @ prohk mid ridge for example) consistently they have smoother slopes, lowered elevation and shallowed out dips. Places need a lot less gun depression, we both commented that it felt like every spot was being designed for an Obj. 140.

What is annoying is there are some retarded red line camping spots dotted around, ones that were already there got made stronger, like the red line spot for north team on Redshire but also so BS camping ledges on Cliff and Steppes. 

Like this on Cliff - 

xijWCzi.jpg?1

Elevation, bush cover, hard cover, hard to flank (entrance is from base direction) and open ground in front of it with little cover. 

Jingles was impressed, and honestly - so was I.  This has video from all 12.  A lot more arty cover.

So was havoc completely scrapped? Or was some sort of version of it implemented and I missed it? 

Ive been back and playing a bit. But now with new HD map reworks i dont see the point. Tier 8s are ruined mm wise. Isnt that more important? 

Well, but on the one hand updated new graphics could be a really big deal for the game and WG itself and on the other hand it's not exactly the fault of the 
map-design and game engine departments that the matchmaking for T8 sucks. 

22 hours ago, Diatomix said:

Ive been back and playing a bit. But now with new HD map reworks i dont see the point. Tier 8s are ruined mm wise. Isnt that more important? 

So you want the art-departement to... I guess paint a new matchmaking system? Dude, seriously. Remarks like that make you look stupid.

36 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

So you want the art-departement to... I guess paint a new matchmaking system? Dude, seriously. Remarks like that make you look stupid.

How companies use their resources is a reasonable concern especially when it impacts on the player.

My concern is similar, in that in the past the 'HD' people don't seem to have much if any tie in with the overall balance so there's a fair chance that will break. My hope is that we get pretty with better balanced. But my worry is we'll get another E5 for as long as it takes them to 'compile enough data' to balance it all.

Just came here to ask after watching Jingles video if there actually seemed to be more arty cover at some of the common brawling areas, and it seems there is.

So that's a step in the right direction.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:16 AM, Madner Kami said:

You know what thats cool. Because i hate how touchy-feely the gaming atmosphere has become. Cant even talk shit to the enemy team anymore.

On that note. 

Youre a baddie. 

1 hour ago, Diatomix said:

You know what thats cool. Because i hate how touchy-feely the gaming atmosphere has become. Cant even talk shit to the enemy team anymore.

On that note. 

Youre a baddie. 

Sorry, that I can't suck as good as your mom

5 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Sorry, that I can't suck as good as your mom

I'm sure you'll do fine.