Manic_Wombat

Is the Emerald playable?

22 posts in this topic

Looking through old threads it seems that the concensus on the Emerald was that it was so bad it was best to just free XP past it.

Is that still the case or have I missed some buffs?

11 hours ago, Manic_Wombat said:

Looking through old threads it seems that the concensus on the Emerald was that it was so bad it was best to just free XP past it.

Is that still the case or have I missed some buffs?

Everyone already got a Leander for free a couple months ago. 

I'm not aware of any buffs it received, and I love shooting at them.

3 minutes ago, The_Illlusive_Man said:

Whats the Emerald?

Look at forum directories, they're a clue.

Just now, Mesrith said:

Look at forum headers, they're a clue.

Havnt played WOWS in a while, plz update me.

Emerald is ok, but like all T5 CL's it is very fragile and gets 1 shoted by all kinds of T7 ships. It dies to all BB's. At top tier it is barely playable, so anything else is an exercise in frustration.

1 hour ago, The_Illlusive_Man said:

Whats the Emerald?

An RN flavoured water baloon. Look at it and it goes pop.

Ya i kinda have a love hate relationship with this boat....it murders DDs, and has pretty useful torps...but the lack of HE really hurts this whole line esp @ T5 as you get up tiered so much that your AP will be next to useless unless you can land some broadsides..but even a little bit of angling and your damage will drop right off to nil even versus CA/CLs.

Really think WG has made a mistake by trying to create artificial differences for each nation...esp since the Premiums from this line do have HE? Grrr..

Its not unplayable by any means as you can still do great work with torps and if you do "broadside someone" even BBs you can get some great #s...

To me its a bit like Pepsicola...its not great..but its no where near as horrible as its made out to be.

Wouldn't free XP the whole ship...that just seems wasteful as while the grind isnt "fun" it really doesn't take all that long.

Yeah, the arcs are a pain too when shooting beyond 10-11km.  But at that tier basic awareness and good smoke use with the occasional torp derp and you can do fine. It was a WTR padder for me (1820). I didn't free XP anything, but I did throw my XP flags and camo on it to make it go by quickly.  I also didnt upgrade the torpedoes to get me 4k closer to leaving it behind. 

Yeah, the Tier 5 MM makes playing this ship more painful that it needs to be but, take heart, each ship that comes after is an improvement on the one before.

I'm spending the £5.38 it takes me to skip it. 

The Danae is shit, but it gets tier 4 MM so it's a bearable grind and not much. The thought of the 40k+ xp grind in an up-tiered Danae against Scharnhorsts and ,.. anything else strikes me as entirely worth £5.38. 

It's got DD level guns...on a cruiser. Single barrel turrets on a tier V light cruiser? The fuck is this? Yeah you can citadel broadside cruisers but they'll citadel you way harder in return. Ontop of being floaty in arc and being able to hurt BBs...blerg

My stats have surely nosedived in the Danae, despite several excellent games, on a whole I lose as I can never contribute sufficiently. 

The Emerald is awful.  Totally unplayable.  Guns load fast and it's reasonable agile - but not agile enough to really dodge enemy fire 100% of the time, and that's what is required - if the enemy hits even 20% of the time, you die fast, because one of those hits will always be a citadel for 50% of your HP.

The torps are largely useless in my experience, because closing to within 6 km is usually suicide.

3 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

The Emerald is awful.  Totally unplayable.  Guns load fast and it's reasonable agile - but not agile enough to really dodge enemy fire 100% of the time, and that's what is required - if the enemy hits even 20% of the time, you die fast, because one of those hits will always be a citadel for 50% of your HP.

The torps are largely useless in my experience, because closing to within 6 km is usually suicide.

It's the only RN CA I skipped because it's awfulness is legend. The Leander however is great and the Fiji after that is very strong at tier 7.

2 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

It's the only RN CA I skipped because it's awfulness is legend. The Leander however is great and the Fiji after that is very strong at tier 7.

I won't skip ships or tanks like that.  I refuse to reward WG's shadiness like that.

2 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I won't skip ships or tanks like that.  I refuse to reward WG's shadiness like that.

I didn't pay real money. I just had some free xp to spare. So it wasn't so much rewarding WG as it was rewarding/not punishing myself. ;) 

Emerald is playable as long as you are in a tier 5 match - uptiered and you're consigned to hide/ambush DD's only.

Played a few in it, and then got the Leander as part of the earlier campaign.  Leander is fine, as is every RN CL after it - Emerald and tier 3/4 cruisers are fodder for everyone else.  Hey, you want to play an ARLV39, go for it, just be prepared for a lot of matches ending prematurely.

2 hours ago, Manic_Wombat said:

Or play lots of PvE

Or this ^

Yeah, probably gonna have to go that route.  XP rewards are lower, and that kind of accuracy can be a pain in something as fragile as an Emerald, but maybe I can make the computer's idiocy work for me.

The bots will Yolo. Work out the most likely route some will take and try to sit in cover on the flank of their route far enough away that you won't be the closest to them and then you can farm broadside shots.