leggasiini

Ranked battles in WoT

24 posts in this topic

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/wot-at-gdc-2017/

"For quite some time, you guys have wanted an arena where you can truly test your mettle, facing off against players who are in a similar standing. Today, we’ve got a message for you: Ranked Battles is on the horizon so you’d better be polishing your skills.

Exclusive to Tier X vehicles and divided in seasons, Ranked Battles will let you prove that you’re the best of the best in 15-vs-15 combat. The more successful you are in battle, the higher your standing will be in a special Ranked Battles ladder. And we aren’t talking just victory; it’s going to be more about your contribution to the battle outcome. If you put in a great performance, yet your team loses a match, you move up the ranks anyway. So, climbing the ladder is all on you! And as you progress, the competition goes up as well. Yes, it depends directly on your position in the ladder as the matchmaking will pit players against those of a similar rank in a separate queue. If that’s not enough, a stellar performance in battle and during a season will net you some exciting rewards.

Unlike everything else we mentioned in this article, Ranked Battles is still in the early stages of development. We hope the notable highlights we just shared got you as excited as we are about it. There’ll be a lot more information coming your way when we move closer to rolling it out."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? I think it would be quite interesting, actually. Isnt there ranked in WoWs already? How it is/was working out there (havent got feel from it because i sucked at that game (and dont even play it anymore anyways)).

Horrid idea. Padding incoming.

But it's the EU server. Won't you get banned if you do well?

I'm pretty happy that Wargaming is finally responding to the people complaining about skill based MM.

I think Fulcrous's concerns could be minimized if they didn't have any crazy rewards. There wont be a point for statpadding if all it does is make the game more difficult for you. They could simply have ranked battles as an option, like they do for CS:GO and I think it would be fine.

I pray they don't try it on the NA or the other small servers though, our small population will make it shrivel up and die like historical battles did back in the day.

Its alternative game mode. Standard random battles will stay.

3 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

Its alternative game mode. Standard random battles will stay.

Yeah but what i meant to say was that from reading WG's post it looks like theyre trying to make this into an event with prizes, rather than just an alternative game mode. With prizes as an incentive its gonna cause a lot of cutthroat behavior. I think it would even be a good idea to remove gold rounds in that game mode.

12 minutes ago, yuryi said:

I'm pretty happy that Wargaming is finally responding to the people complaining about skill based MM.

I think Fulcrous's concerns could be minimized if they didn't have any crazy rewards. There wont be a point for statpadding if all it does is make the game more difficult for you. They could simply have ranked battles as an option, like they do for CS:GO and I think it would be fine.

I pray they don't try it on the NA or the other small servers though, our small population will make it shrivel up and die like historical battles did back in the day.

NA is a small server?

Just now, crapcannon said:

NA is a small server?

Well 20,000 constantly active players is not small, but please bear with me in the reasoning for my opinion.

I don't have a number when it comes to the number of tier ten players that are consistently in queue, but since it is only one tier in ten, it is only a minor fraction in the overall number of players, especially when you realize that most tier ten games are supplemented by tier 9 and 8. People also play tier ten less often due to the fact that it is difficult to break even, let alone make credits, and there is nowhere to grind. I am going to assume 10% of players in battle are in tens.

So it comes down to 2000 players over both NA East and West, and through rough approximation 1300 on NA East and 700 NA West just from how I've seen the numbers go.

Now you will have to split that number, since these guys will be choosing between regular battles and ranked. We can speculate what the ratio will be all day, but lets keep it simple and say 50%.

We now have 650 players on NA East, and 350 on NA West.

You must now further split these numbers into their respective rankings.

The result will leave 100-250 players for each rank. I consider that borderline manageable for MM, with queue times not going too long, but consider that the original 20,000 is a peak population for the server. At night this game mode will be either pretty dead, or terribly mismatched, that could cause people to leave the game because of how dead it looks.

With the EU and RU servers it doesnt matter because they have players in the hundreds of thousands.

21 minutes ago, crapcannon said:

NA is a small server?

It is when compared to the RU & EU clusters. However it is important to WG because NA players spend significantly more money per user on the game then they do on any other cluster.

Soo guess wows ranked battles been succesfull so WG copies them to wot too. Good, I like them in Wows, gives some goals instead of just grinding battle after battle with nothing to achieve.

Cheating will be of course somewhat problem especially in smaller servers and higher ranks (smaller population there in upper rankings, so easier to get in same match with friends and exploit voice comms etc).

Incoming rigging, more chai sniping etc

I personally love the idea, another way to get free stuff but some people might ruin it for others 

2 hours ago, yuryi said:

Dont compare it with cs go... We have team battle or cw stuff in wot already

Nah, I really like the look of this. The amount of epeen flexing that will be going on at the upper skill tiers will be incredible. Plus it's just like auto-rewards for anyone good which is fun. 

2 hours ago, Luna said:

Nah, I really like the look of this. The amount of epeen flexing that will be going on at the upper skill tiers will be incredible. Plus it's just like auto-rewards for anyone good which is fun. 

"Look, I am three positions above you, that means you suck at the game.":serb:

Well looks like i'm gonna suck since im just a trash platoon padder xD

4 hours ago, Zepherex said:

Well looks like i'm gonna suck since im just a trash platoon padder xD

In WoWS there are no platoons in ranked - though that doesn't mean you can't manipulate it, especially with the small server populations. In WoWS we have the same number of players on EU as you guys have in WoT. Counting in at the right time of the day/night with a certain number of players and pushing individual players to "safe ranks" should be a walk in the park.

YEET. Most fun I've had in a competition style mode was Top tankers event. This looks promising, very keen to be #1 at something else on this shitty server :^)  

1 hour ago, Va1heru said:

YEET. Most fun I've had in a competition style mode was Top tankers event. This looks promising, very keen to be #1 at something else on this shitty server :^)  

That's if people don't start rigging them like they did the T22 LUL

I really can't see this going well on either NA/ASIA due to the low population, but the cheating that will go on Asia is probably going to mean that we will either get it removed or with many restrictions (happens every event with any reward so meh used to it by now). It will be nice to have free stuff doe kek

My worry is that it will clash with tournaments/WGL/CW, so we actually won't really see the good players being able to play, as they are busy farming gold or having WGL battles(which i think should be in 3 weeks so if its after that means should be fun)

I wonder if you can do ranked battles with arty.

it has potential like many things earlier introduced and like many things it will fall short of expectations 

On 04/03/2017 at 1:31 AM, HemanathanRX7 said:

That's if people don't start rigging them like they did the T22 LUL

I really can't see this going well on either NA/ASIA due to the low population, but the cheating that will go on Asia is probably going to mean that we will either get it removed or with many restrictions (happens every event with any reward so meh used to it by now). It will be nice to have free stuff doe kek

My worry is that it will clash with tournaments/WGL/CW, so we actually won't really see the good players being able to play, as they are busy farming gold or having WGL battles(which i think should be in 3 weeks so if its after that means should be fun)

In the live QA video on friday they said they'd learned from the T22 fiasco:  ranked battled would only be available for an unspecified number of hours per day to avoid entire clans syncing in at 4am.  Very possible those hours will clash with CW though.

1 hour ago, Sylvansight said:

In the live QA video on friday they said they'd learned from the T22 fiasco:  ranked battled would only be available for an unspecified number of hours per day to avoid entire clans syncing in at 4am.  Very possible those hours will clash with CW though.

As it is, cw/sh together pretty much take up the entire prime time (8-1am server/SGT for asia),especially since sh is set from 5pm-1am on asia thanks to certain clans, so pretty much not much chance of being able to play it , especially since I play the military drills 3 weekdays during cw/sh prime time to supplement the terrible gold income from clan wars map

Thing is, unless the rewards are good enough to justify playing it over the rest, there will be little point, but if they are too good then i suspect we will still see similar problems to the t22, even if say there is a time limit nothing to stop clans/people from team killing to stop people they don't want to/like to get the rewards. Catch-22 i guess

At least for EU and RU there should be enough population, but i seriously doubt this will take off on NA/Asia because as it is if you are a good player and in a cw/sh focused clan that is good you don't have much time for random battles already unless you spend a long time on wot everyday. Doubt most good players will have the time for this unless they are pubstars.

Prizes need to be good to make it worthwhile.

Interesting they have chosen tier 10, WOWs ranked moves about I think it's been tier 6,7 and 8 at various points.

If they run it similarly then it will be a 'season' so you'll have 2/3 of these a year and getting to rank 1 will get you exclusive reward tanks. 

Basically it will be CWs for solo players.