MatzerMike

The future of Type 62 - is it/ will it be worth it now??

22 posts in this topic

Hi.
For a long time I wanted to have type 62 in my garage. i never bought it though as I searched through forums and the general opinion was always this:

- tank is slightly weaker then WZ-131 in just about anything
- tank is shit in most tier X games, so it suffers without pref MM
- bad for money making, poor base pen and meh HEAT
- tank usually comes in rip-off bundles
- lot of people just prefer type 64 at tier VI 

This all sounds like a big enough drawbacks to bother buying it. Now, I want to share my reasons why I'm still thinking about getting it anyways (and hope you will share your opinions).

- with the upcoming changes to MM and lights no longer getting +3 in battles, it should only see tier IX.
- not planning to make big credits with it, but I hate losing in my 131, esp. with food and gold spam in tier X, you lose a lot of money. This should be better with premium tonk
- I don't get the type 64 hype, sure it is probably fun to play but as a trainer I don't see any advantages as the tank has one more member (radio operatior), so all the accelerated traning goes to him and you wont use him in your main chinese light. And with the new tier X lights coming soon, the type 62 just sounds to me like a more suitable tank to train your crews.
- perhaps, as they buffed quite a lot of prems recently, the tank may see some love in the future too?

So that was my point of view, the type is currently available to buy on EU (and yes, the bundle is shitty, but what can you do) so I will appriciate any feedback from you guys what you think about this tank and its role in the near future. Thanks!

145 ap pen is bad, so you'd often have to spam gold which costs 4800 credits for 180 alpha, which is absurd. it wouldn't be hard to lose money doing so.

131 gets better and cheaper gold ammo for its 85mm for some reason.

if you want a rare tank then whatever floats your boat, but this tank doesn't seem to have an awful a lot of utility.

most premium tanks have their unique quirks that make them interesting, but the type 62 is a carbon copy of the 131 that looks and plays exactly the same while being worse at everything.

I can't comment too much on the Type 62 as I haven't played it or the WZ 131, but it might work well with the changes. It certainly seems more interesting to play than most of the tier 7 mediums, although that isn't a particularly high standard to be held to. 4800 for a 180 alpha gold shell sounds disgusting. But really, this isn't the last time WG is going to sell the Type 62, so you might be better off waiting until the patch lands to see how things get changed. 

As for the Type 64, while the crew doesn't match up perfectly, I've always been under the impression that a lot of it's popularity comes from its utility in tier 6 strongholds. It's pretty fun to play in those and makes good credits. If it gets regular matchmaking without any changes to it, it's going to be a monster at tier 6 and I think I'll actually take it out in pub battles.

If you fancy your chance, the latest World of Tanks Magazine has an online quiz that gives you a chance to get one Type 62 out of a 100 they are giving away. You never know your luck.

17 minutes ago, ThomChen114 said:

If you fancy your chance, the latest World of Tanks Magazine has an online quiz that gives you a chance to get one Type 62 out of a 100 they are giving away. You never know your luck.

Thanks for this, I might try as you never know. Is it time limited and only game related quiz?

7 minutes ago, MatzerMike said:

Thanks for this, I might try as you never know. Is it time limited and only game related quiz?

Until end of March. It's got a 10-minute time limit, and its all AFV related. Just open up a browser to help yourself.

4 hours ago, MatzerMike said:

- I don't get the type 64 hype, sure it is probably fun to play but as a trainer I don't see any advantages as the tank has one more member (radio operatior), so all the accelerated traning goes to him and you wont use him in your main chinese light. And with the new tier X lights coming soon, the type 62 just sounds to me like a more suitable tank to train your crews.
- perhaps, as they buffed quite a lot of prems recently, the tank may see some love in the future too?

i got the Type 64 because Taiwan #1

but its a seriously fun, and effective tank, to play. i don't really mind too much about that radio operator. you could even consider padding your stats/ challenge yourself in the M5A1 Stuart if you really, really want to put that radio operator to use.

Got a Type 62 for free from one of those "grind your ass off for a month" missions a couple years ago, almost never play it, Type 64 OTOH I quite enjoy and it sees some use in pubs and stronks.

This thing is my second highest WN8 tank and pads it like no other (which is why I stopped playing after I 3rd marked it). I currently have 2nd highest dpg in it on NA and I say it's worth every penny. It makes money overall but as others have said do be prepared to spam some gold. It's also in HD so looks pretty sick.EAfqIND.png

If it gets regular tier 7 MM, it's gonna be decent, basically like a tier 7 medium that trade survivability for better speed and vision. That said, I still don't think it's gonna be great, 145 pen is still trash at tier 7 and the gold round is not great and ridiculously expensive (27 credits per damage point, one of the highest in high tiers), so don't expect to many any profit. And since we don't know how other lights will look at t7, there's a good chance it will still be inferior (right now it's the worst by far).

Yea, I'd just wait. I've certainly enjoyed mine in the past (pre nerf and meta shift ) and hope to enjoy it again in the future. Ideally it gets BT7-9 and they adjust the HEAT cost downwards. It's HEAT is just bad! 

Type 62 is actually gud, profitability aside. Kinda like T28 HTC and T-55A in that respeck.

I got one on the gamble it will get regular tier 7 MM.

Based on the super test WZ-131 it will stack up decently, it'll still lack the WZ in pen, bit of alpha and a little mobility but will have better aim time and a lot more DPM. 

Doubt it will be OP or anything but should be a fun premium as a regular tier 7. 

I liked it. Was a cute little pretend medium. Probably plays worse with current map design and meta.

I can live with the weak engine (131 stock engine) and the gun (3rd gun on 131) apart from the 145 pen and shitty HEAT alternative. Becoming a regular t7 will help though

...and MAYBE, as its a premium, they wont nerf the gun dispersion - like they seem to be doing to everything else

On the test server the WZ131 has taken a big hit; dpm is way down, and the 100mm is gone. So compared to the 131 and the new LTG, the 62 is looking pretty good right now. View range is 390 vs 425 for other two, but un-nerfed gun now makes it competitive.

On 3/6/2017 at 0:21 AM, Zesshin said:

This thing is my second highest WN8 tank and pads it like no other (which is why I stopped playing after I 3rd marked it). I currently have 2nd highest dpg in it on NA and I say it's worth every penny. It makes money overall but as others have said do be prepared to spam some gold. It's also in HD so looks pretty sick.EAfqIND.png

I loved 85 131 so this is tank for me. Regardless of WN8 spam, I enjoyed every game. Such fun tank to play. 

Will buy. This will be even better in 9.18 :) 

Played a few matches with it post 9.18. It didn't actually get any better, but it has better matchmaking (never seeing tier 10s again and no more than three tier 9s max) and its fellow tier 7 lights are no longer massively more powerful than it. It rather felt, dare I say, useful again. I am tentatively upgrading it from "Awful garbage do not buy" to "If you're willing to accept some tradeoffs and perhaps some small net nerfs from the WZ-131, this might be your thing."

The real winner is the AMX 13 57, though, having gotten better matchmaking, better gun handling, and a vstab. They scare the crap out of me when in another light now. They can dump 720 damage in 7 seconds with pretty good accuracy at close range, then drive away.

Yeah, I'll be keeping a close lookout for the 13-57 to go on sale again!

On 24.04.2017 at 9:44 PM, StranaMechty said:

Played a few matches with it post 9.18. It didn't actually get any better, but it has better matchmaking (never seeing tier 10s again and no more than three tier 9s max) and its fellow tier 7 lights are no longer massively more powerful than it. It rather felt, dare I say, useful again. I am tentatively upgrading it from "Awful garbage do not buy" to "If you're willing to accept some tradeoffs and perhaps some small net nerfs from the WZ-131, this might be your thing."

The real winner is the AMX 13 57, though, having gotten better matchmaking, better gun handling, and a vstab. They scare the crap out of me when in another light now. They can dump 720 damage in 7 seconds with pretty good accuracy at close range, then drive away.

The type62 could get vert stabs before? If it couldn't it's still a buff. Plus the new MM is a buff. If I can carry a game on himmels with it with 8 or 9 kills it is rather good. Remember wz131 got nerfed to get that MM, this didn't.

http://tanks.gg/compare/type-62?t=wz-131

So you get less pen but 350 more dpm with better aim time and same stats for everything else, you also pay with hp/t - same as it is with the typ64 it's a combo of light and med in terms of agility but then again you get 390 vs 370m vr so it's easy to push 470m vr on it. 

As for the 13 57 - I love mine. It is amazeballs but I think it will be even better when less people play lights since no one will be able to chase you on reloads and you will easily pray on heavies 

mine has vstabs on it and I haven't changed anything here after the patch, so it could mount vstabs before. But I do have the feeling it is faster / more mobile now. 

34 minutes ago, hall0 said:

mine has vstabs on it and I haven't changed anything here after the patch, so it could mount vstabs before. But I do have the feeling it is faster / more mobile now. 

yeah it could. My bad. Still it gets better MM. Imagine any tank getting dropped a trier without changes. Even the worst tank in the game would become very good. Amx40 at t4? BEAST, Black Prince at t6? Amazeballs. The only tanks that would still be shit are a few brit soft td's and french td's.