leggasiini

IS-4 to be swapped with ST-I? IS-4 returns to tier 9?

71 posts in this topic

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/03/07/qa-7th-march-2017/

– Q1: When will you reveal the secret of the IS-4’s new feature? Q2: It won’t be Anton revealing it, but Murazor, and if my theory is correct, it will be swapping the places of IS-4 and ST-1, since Murazor talked about this long ago. – A: You are right, and yes, Murazor will tell about this.

-----------------------------------------

What you think about it?

I guess it makes sense what they are trying to do (and it makes sense, IRL ST-I was designed after IS-4 anyways and in many ways was "improved" i guess), but i got very mixed feeling about this. What i expect them to do for ST-I is that they buff gun handling, reload, HP to ~2,5k and give it new engine. Im not sure if this is necessary change though, because i got feeling that tier 10 IS-4 definitely has more personality in terms of playstyle than ST-I, because ST-I is *sigh* yet another hulldown heavy with utter trash lower plate. But we will see. Hopefully it will become like IS-4 with better turret and more depression, i rly hope they buff the LFP. Also lastly, IS-4 is sexi while ST-I is fucking ugly and looks like an abomination.

On other hand, tier 9 IS-4...those who played in 2011 will already be like :kwim: ...though it no longer has -9 depression and IS-7's gun.

If they do plan on doing this it will be pretty hard to switch the tiers without any confusion among the players 

Lol. I have said it a week ago when they nerf the maus they will buff the is4 and is7. So part of it is true. I expect both of them to be broken. Is4 will keep it's armor at t9 with some other buffs and ST-I will get some ridiculous buffs because armor meta. Imagine Maus with a ST-I turret and a bit less alpha. 

So i assume they will replace the is-4 in the garage with the st-1, and then the camo emblem inscriptions and equipment will all be on the tier x st-1?

Does this mean we should all start grinding for an STI?

What the hell is the point of this. STI has worse armor anyway

12 minutes ago, Fianii said:

Does this mean we should all start grinding for an STI?

I dont expect free tanks etc. If you have IS-4, you will have ST-I, and vice versa.

5 minutes ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

I have no idea either. I expect that they will significantly buff STI LFP, cheeks and side armor or something. It does have overall better turret due to no roof panel though and better depression.

im currently at KV-3, and at the rate that i'm grinding it i could expect to get my gloves on the ST-I before the end of the year. 

ST-Is are a rare sight nowadays. Probably since everyone and their mother is focusing on getting a German or Japanese superheavy tank

3 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Im not sure if this is necessary change though, because i got feeling that tier 10 IS-4 definitely has more personality in terms of playstyle than ST-I, because ST-I is *sigh* yet another hulldown heavy with utter trash lower plate.

Well, to be fair you don't see tanks like the ST-1 on tier ten... The only heavy with a turret that is actually impenetrable to gold is the IS-7, and it has trash gun depression. The IS-4 is more similar to the current ten heavies with its sidescraping, decent hull and above average turret, than the ST-1 is with its shittier hull, but crazy turret with depression.

1 hour ago, CheekiBreeki_ said:

If they do plan on doing this it will be pretty hard to switch the tiers without any confusion among the players 

When isn't the average player confused?

Why are they talking about it like it's old news?? It's new news to me. I don't really care for the ST1 personally in its current state. But I'll wait until they come out and say what they're doing with it to finish the grind. 

This seems really stupid. I think the STI is fine as is though the IS4 could use a bit a love though honestly just removing the weak spot behind the mantlet and increasing the roof armor on the turret and hull to 60 so it isn't so easily overmatched and maybe a bit of help to the gun handling would be plenty.

edit: You could give the gun a bit more love and still leave the turret roof weakspot which I think would be better since it would still provide an option that isn't old gold and blah though the upper plate.

50 minutes ago, yuryi said:

Well, to be fair you don't see tanks like the ST-1 on tier ten... The only heavy with a turret that is actually impenetrable to gold is the IS-7, and it has trash gun depression. The IS-4 is more similar to the current ten heavies with its sidescraping, decent hull and above average turret, than the ST-1 is with its shittier hull, but crazy turret with depression.

The Swedish tier 10 heavy? Its turret armor is pretty much impenetrable. 

Wg nerfed IS4 when they made it tier 10, so they will buff it when it becomes tier 9?

Stronk!!

That said, the ST-1 will be a better tier 10, the gun depression alone makes it more suitable, and the turret is also stronger

What i hope though, is that IS4 will loose its current top gun, and get a 390 a improved BL-9, 390 dmg and 260 / 270 base pen, a bit more historical, and it would set IS4 apart from T-10 (not only different armor / mobility, but also gun)

ps: and having a brick with ``low`` alpha, instead of ``high`` alpha

2 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

STI HD comrade never doubt the power of an HD update

47 minutes ago, _Assad said:

Casually buffing the lfp to 400 effective? :serb:

Just now, WhatTheSkara said:

Casually buffing the lfp to 400 effective? :serb:

I was thinking something more to do with the gigantic turret

The IS-4 at tier 10 was always a bit like the old 113: to most people the line peaks at Tier 9 and the tier 10....to be polite about it....a sidegrade. If the ST-I wasn't there and we got an IS-4 prototype like the Obj 701 at Tier 9, the IS-4 at tier 10 would make sense because it would be the pinnacle of a whole line of very good sidescrapers with meh guns.But it's not. The ST-I exists, and it's in an odd place because not only is it just as good a sidescraper: you will rarely feel the difference between sloped 140mm sides and 16 cm ones; it gets one more trick up its sleeve: American caplitalist hulldown. It's because of this that that the ST-I has always seemed to outshine the IS-4.

The other thing is that with the Maus buffs, if they go through another round of HD buffs to the IS-4, they'd make it even more unhistorical than it already is. If I remember correctly, the IS-4 was never even tested with the long 122 that the T-10 gets: it was always an IS-2 on steroids with insane all round armour and a very poor gun by postwar standards. But that's not the point: it's not a postwar tank. The IS-4 was designed to defeat German tanks - it was just too late and became a liability logistically.

The ST-I is a completely different tank. Its basically a turret, a very sophisticated one, which the IS-4 could have fitted. It's innovative, it's cutting edge for its time with an autoloader and it had quite unheard of regard for crew comfort by Soviet standards, but it was never built. It's because it's a paper tank that WG would be able to take more liberties with its stats, armour, and armament. 

I personally welcome the swap.

Well, regardless of what they do - the current IS-4 needs some love.  There is absolutely no reason for it to have such low DPM and bad gun handling and low speed and sketchy armor.  Yes, it can sidescrape like a boss, but its no good without some offensive ability.  Same gun as a 113, with 2 second slower reload, worse handling, and no horsepower.

4 hours ago, Inciatus said:

The Swedish tier 10 heavy? Its turret armor is pretty much impenetrable. 

Until it needs to slightly turn

They should add the ST-ii as the new tier10 soviet heavy.:serb:

113,e5 and even maus all got butted, is-4 is still a pile of shit.

No matter how you angle the is-4, you get penned by HEAT anyway.

10 minutes ago, Megumin said:

They should add the ST-ii as the new tier10 soviet heavy.:serb:

113,e5 and even maus all got butted, is-4 is still a pile of shit.

No matter how you angle the is-4, you get penned by HEAT anyway.

Actually stats show IS4 is performing very well. People just don't seem to notice it.

@GehakteMolen low alpha slow tank? Come on. 

51 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

Actually stats show IS4 is performing very well. People just don't seem to notice it.

@GehakteMolen low alpha slow tank? Come on. 

Why not? Having 6 slow box tanks with good alpha dmg is a bit boring :P

The IS4 has never given me problems, it's always been very reliable. I've never considered the IS4 as bad, with the buffs to other tier 10 heavies it might not be on par with them, but it's certainly not a bad tank.

If they go through with this they need to do something about the LFP on the ST-I. Sure you can hulldown, but eventually you'll need to push and all that armor doesn't mean shit when you have that big weakspot saying "shoot me!"

0c2cd8c762cf4ab89265a10a1a404a98.png

3 hours ago, _Assad said:

kd6ojC3.jpg

Well let's see what this HD model does

28 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

Why not? Having 6 slow box tanks with good alpha dmg is a bit boring :P

I know but then at least it has to have good dpm. It's still a problem for slow tanks to use dpm as they often can't chase their victims down. Not to mention how often peaking is more about being able to pop out fast, not continous fire. So unless it has enough armor to sit in certain good positions and melt enemy tanks (which creates a risk of a broken tank) it might not work too well

This is news to me. Got both tanks & don't feel they're particulary suited for a switch. IS-4 was my first TX heavy, still felt it performed admirably regarding armro & don't have major complains about the gun, outside the slow fire-rate, long aim-time & the low ammo count.

ST-I is also a great tank, dunno about it becoming TX, the LFP (and the central UFP, due to angle) are not that strong, so really needs to hide its hull most of the time already.

Then again, tweaking soft stats & some values can go a long way in making each suitable for their tiers. It would mess with the crew setups tho (IS-4 carries one loader less). Imo, it would make more sense to me, crew-wise to switch IS-7 & IS-4, so the loader crew issue is sorted out.