Canadian_Reaper

Which Heavy line has best all round armor?

29 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

I have the E75 unlocked, as well as either the 100.01 P or the VK 45.02 A.

I am appallingly bad at finding that "perfect" angle o deflect shots, so out of these three lines- which relies least on my skill to bounce shots?

I'm looking for a heavy tanks line to complete the T-55A missions, but also for use in pubs. (more the latter)

Was working towards the E-100, but not sure if the new and improved Maus is now better, or if the PV VIII would be something to pick up.

(from what I've read I think it's between the E-100 and the Maus for bouncing, but could have missed something)

If you get a maus you'll pretty much automatically finish HT missions just by stupidly driving towards the enemy team across malinovka field, or making a half assed attempt at angling on any other map.

But if an exciting pub tank is what you're after then go for anything else. Maus is a level beyond boring.

all around armor? get a cyka blyat vodka Russian tank then

40 minutes ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

I am appallingly bad at finding that "perfect" angle o deflect shots, so out of these three lines- which relies least on my skill to bounce shots?

Maus

If you are too brain damaged to angle, the type5 line has got you covered! :drunk:

11 minutes ago, zapyoug said:

If you are too brain damaged to angle, the type5 line has got you covered! :drunk:

@leggasiini

1 hour ago, zapyoug said:

LOL I can do the basics of angling, but I've watched more than a few replays where someone is managing to keep angling against 3 or 4 tanks in front of them shooting from different angles, that I can't do. (And even vs one tank I sometimes fuck up my initial angle)

Thanks all!

Going up the Maus line.

4 hours ago, zapyoug said:

4 hours ago, garryallen said:

Yep entire line from tier 6 and up has super brainless armor scheme, although atleast the Type 5 Heavy can now angle its armor so its something. O-I is next level of braindead because if enemy is behind you dont even have to turn because your ass is as good as your front :serb:

нет нет нет, go IS7 comrade, will not let you down like pretend box tank, tank named after stalin always wins!

Definitely play the maus before WG nerfs itGood choice. Drive to where the enemy team is amassed and witness the Maus Effect, brains will stop functioning once you're in front of them and they will choke on your 3200 HP while you casually put out 5k damage

KV-4/ ST-I/IS-4 all have pretty good armor when angled, I think I'll just ping the God Champion of KV-4 himself.

@GehakteMolen 

1 hour ago, RC_Tank said:

нет нет нет, go IS7 comrade, will not let you down like pretend box tank, tank named after stalin always wins!

well they are possibly swapping IS-4 and ST-I with each other, so lets see what will happen.

Expect the tier 10 ST-I to be IS-4 with ST-I turret and -8 depression... and better gun handling too because rasha

5 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

LOL I can do the basics of angling, but I've watched more than a few replays where someone is managing to keep angling against 3 or 4 tanks in front of them shooting from different angles, that I can't do. (And even vs one tank I sometimes fuck up my initial angle)

Thanks all!

Going up the Maus line.

No matter how hard you angle there's always a place/spot for people to pen you, it's harder sure, but if they know the right weakspots and load gold and pray to rng they will get a pen eventually. When you talk about people angling solo against 3-4 tanks and bouncing everything that normally means they are completely hull down and in a tank with a strong turret. I remember seeing a guy in IS-7 on youtube bouncing like 25k+ in a game just from being hull down with 5 plebs who keeps shooting at his turret. And sure you can angle your LFP so that the target in front of you can't pen it, but if they are 3-4 enemies in the exact same spot and all shooting at your LFP angled they are nothing but plebs :-)

19 minutes ago, PantyHero said:

but if they are 3-4 enemies in the exact same spot and all shooting at your LFP angled they are nothing but plebs :-)

The ones that shoot the obj252u upper plate?

that tank is a broken bit of crap

The lower plate is a bit better to shoot at than the upper, but a few conditions must be met.

1. Over 200 pen (preferably over 250 bc russia)

2. decent dispersion, so that the only shots that miss are the ones that go outside the aiming circle (russia again)

3. Serb to love you

4. stalin to guide your shot

5. You have to drive a russian tank, because russia

If all of these conditions are met, then you stand a chance to pen (just dab the 2 key, and hope it isn't low pen heat like ru251), and fire thru the front drive wheel instead for better chance to pen)

I don't know why i made a rant on this and used such a gross hyperbole, but I'm really sick of bouncing off the cupolas with apcr, missing the lower plate, and hitting the middle bit which is autobounce on almost everything. :feelsbad:

though yesterday i snapped the cupola of a 252u twice with a sturer emil 128 feels good man:awyeah:

Just get a Maus. It's a boring tank to play but for missions it works like a charm. Ever since the buff people have an ever bigger boner for you and with the new improved armor you can really drive like a monkey and bounce till your enemies are out of ammo. 

Maus nerf is due soon, keeping it like this is very unlikely

That aside it really depends on what type of armour you're good at using. 

Turret armour and hull side armour are the two main factors really, so it mostly comes down to either how well you know the maps you play (searching for hulldowns) or knowing deployments from enemy lineups to know what building to sidescrape for chokepoints. 

The armour is most likely pointless if you can't utilize it, so if you don't feel comfortable with either of the two I'd go with something more forgiving in terms of it, which even after the nerf is probably the E5. The only thing you need to keep track of is where your cupola is, and that's probably as simple as a tier 10 armour scheme is going to get

7 hours ago, RC_Tank said:

Definitely play the maus before WG nerfs itGood choice. Drive to where the enemy team is amassed and witness the Maus Effect, brains will stop functioning once you're in front of them and they will choke on your 3200 HP while you casually put out 5k damage

Where are all the 5k Maus accounts at?

As far as I can tell (from playing roughly 150 battles in Maus since update), Maus still gets shat on by arty (especially if your XVM colors are making the ugly rats wet). Hell, maybe even more than before, since there is a hype going on for it.

Also, gold spamming and proper aiming (or RNG luck) still pens the shit out of me unless angle is flawless (not always easy to achieve when shot at by so many tanks). And even then, E3/ E4 APCR or JPZE100 HEAT or similar ammo can always find a spot to pen.

Maus is still too slow to properly re-position if other flank fails hard. Still too slow to get proper cleanup damage unless you have mad positioning skills and/or luck. Still too slow to be part of the fight if you end up on a strong flank that pushes hard. Still too slow to get in cover when spotted on an open map with 3 enemy arties.

Finally, 99% of Maus players I encounter are still dumb as bricks, with poor notions (or none) of angling, timing and positioning, making them super easy to deal with (and fun, so much free HP!).

Point is, Maus is still super shit at what was already shit, but now it's become pretty good at what it was initially intended to be good at, i.e. spearhead / inspire a push, hold a choke-point, and intimidate tanks who are stupid enough to 1v1 them in a straight line.

It is also quite a bit more fun to play than it was before (NOT because of armor, but rather because its DPM is more competitive) - that is, if you enjoy slow bricks, like I do.

Edit: I just noticed I don't really address OP's question with my Ranting. Sorry.

For missions, Maus is fantastic.

For pubs, E100 - PZ 7 are better. Armor is not as good, but they are much better at positioning. E100 alpha still has a bigger "knockback" than Maus. Pz 7's amazing (and accurate) gun is way better at peek-a-boo and long range shooting. Overall though, if you're looking at the most "user friendly" t10 heavy, I think E5 is still king. Good armor, good mobility, good DPM, good gun.

@NthirtyTwo Neither the Pz 7 or E100 are better than the Maus.. Don't know how you came to that conclusion considering how the Maus has better gun handling, dpm, and armor. 

Sure if a pubby plays the Maus it's awful but if a player understands angling and positioning then the Maus is much superior than any other heavy. 

27 minutes ago, CheekiBreeki_ said:

@NthirtyTwo Neither the Pz 7 or E100 are better than the Maus.. Don't know how you came to that conclusion considering how the Maus has better gun handling, dpm, and armor. 

Sure if a pubby plays the Maus it's awful but if a player understands angling and positioning then the Maus is much superior than any other heavy. 

Maus (now) has a higher ceiling because of superior DPM, but its Gun stats and DPM are only useful if the player can utilize them (most player can't).

Same with armor. Although Maus armor is empirically better than the 2 other German heavies, most players can't take full advantage of it, severely diminishing the gap.

However, Alpha and mobility is something everyone can use (alpha more than mobility) with minimal brain power. IMO, those 2 elements alone make these tanks better overall than the Maus for an average player. i.e., I'd rather have 3x E100 pubbies, or 3x Pz7 pubbies than 3x Maus pubbies on my team. Just my opinion though.

2 hours ago, Kolni said:

Maus nerf is due soon, keeping it like this is very unlikely

Woah there, let's not get too ahead of ourselves, it only took them 1 year to nerf the E5. It's barely been a month of the buffed Maus. :serb:

I would say is-4 line if you have the time for it.

If not Maus until it gets nerfed as it is too powerful atm in the hands of a good player, but it will get rekt whenever there is arty or tier x tds

e100 is probably the closest and best for you tbh, since as an average player you can take 750 bombs on to enemy (unless you trade with 183/type5/JPE :serb:)

the (KV-) / KV-4 / ST-1 / IS4 all have amazing armor IF you can make use of it, if you wanna drive around, the Maus / Mauschen are better

The maus is the best protected tank of the game right now, the UFP is a bit ``weak``, and so is the turret front (vs gold ammo) but thats about it, and 3200 hp allows a lot of mistakes to be made.

So when you want to improve in terms of dealing dmg (weakspots, target selection) and map positioning (where to go??) play the VK-B / Maus, if you want a tank which is all about angling, play the KV4 / ST-1

ps: in terms of ``power``

• tier 8: KT > KV4 > VK.100 > VK-A
  • tier 9: ST-1 > VK-B / E75 > Mauschen
  • tier x: E100 > MAUS > VK > IS4

So all tanks have strengths and weaknesses and personal preferences also matters a lot, im i guess the only one who actually like the KV4, yet according to numbers, the KV4 is clearly among the better tier 8 heavy tanks (the best heavy after IS3) (this was before all the buffs / new prems, the defender wont do so well with unicums i think (relative) but the Mle 49 and Lowe will be high up aswell)

I would say go for T22 but rip that tank.

Maus feels pretty braindead to me, and maybe also the IS-7.

Best all around armor used to be the E5, now it's the Maus.  But if you want something more mobile than a Maus but same armor bullshit I would get the IS4.  People constantly overlook that tank but I prefer it honestly.

Good gun, decent dpm, decent mobility, alpha to capitalize trading, sidescraping monster.  EZ go to IMO

Thanks again all! (although I feel the need to point out "EZ" for some of you is likely "how the fuck do I make this work/smash my keyboard in frustration" for me.

Right now I'm enjoying the 100.01 P, seems to be a monster at T8, decidedly below average at T9, and useless at T10, but it did get me my first Kolabanov/RW etc etc game , so that was nice.

(although a little irritating, realized later If I'd let some of the 100 alpha tanks shoot me a few more times before killing them I'd have completed HT 12.3)

I have the E75 unlocked, so that can work if I decide these 20KPH tanks aren't for me, IS4 line is still back at the KV3, but it's on sale right now, might be time to try that line out as well. Had avoided it as the KV3 and 4 looked useless, but maybe I can bludgeon my way past them.

Don't have any experience with the Maus (I'm starting that like from the Pz IV-H - by the time I get to the Maus, it'll probably be nerfed back into oblivion!) but had the E100 has my first tier 10. I can say that for players at around our level (teal-ish) the E100's armour is unforgiving and not easy to get to grips with. The turret face really is so weak and vulnerable to gold-spam unless your angling is perfect, and the lower plate is a huge target and also weak without perfect angling. Some games you'll get everything spot on and bounce plenty, other games everything will pen you simply by firing randomly in your direction.

I'm at the Type 4 currently in the Jap line, which is my only other experience with heavily armoured tanks. In some ways the armour is easy to use - it's almost all front-loaded so it's point direct at enemy, wiggle a bit, and in some situations, show extreme angle. Weak sides and odd shapes (the mini-turrets) can make things awkward at times, but you generally have a good idea before you engage whether you're going to bounce or not so in that sense isn't too tough to use. I have best performance armour-wise with the tier 7, but the Type 4's armour isn't terrible either and can bounce a bit with decent positioning.