Birkovic

USS Alabama

29 posts in this topic

This is a quiet disapointing video after the long wait. Sorry Muricans:feelsbad:

Pretty much knew it was going to be an inferior North Carolina once I saw the citadel. Also for bonus lols apparently the stern armor is ultra thin and so you can't kite away without citadel lol pens.

I have the Missouri, bad tier is is irrelevant. Still a shame, they were very nice ships.

At least WoWs isnt going the WoT route and releasing OP tier 8 premiums

7 hours ago, Birkovic said:

This is a quiet disapointing video after the long wait. Sorry Muricans:feelsbad:

Why sorry? The muricans built shit ships and now their ancestors have to pay for that. I call it historical karma ;P

4 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Why sorry? The muricans built shit ships and now their ancestors have to pay for that. I call it historical karma ;P

YRRxg.gif

2 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

More like built with a specific purpose that doesn't translate well in game. Especially when ships like the Fuso are considered good in game but honestly it's performance is questionable at best IRL 

41 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

More like built with a specific purpose that doesn't translate well in game. Especially when ships like the Fuso are considered good in game but honestly it's performance

Any BB built after 1930 is obsolete because of the changes to naval warfare. Since its a game though Its kind of all about fun.

5 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Under the treaty limitations, the Alabamas were excellent ships, and pretty well maximized what you could do under the constraints.  Obviously, in-game mechanics don't care about treaty limitations.

I do wonder if they're going to eventually lower the citadel height, given that they've already acknowledged that they goofed with the Iowa/Montana classes and are going to be lowering those.  Either way, the main turn-off for me is the shell velocity of the guns, which drove me nuts on the North Carolina.  I also don't see a need for another tier 8 battleship, already owning the Tirpitz and my beloved Amagi.

4 minutes ago, Mesrith said:

Under the treaty limitations, the Alabamas were excellent ships, and pretty well maximized what you could do under the constraints.  Obviously, in-game mechanics don't care about treaty limitations.

Neither did reality or, rather, anyone except the americans ^.^

At least someone got the vague allusion I reached for there ;)

Is there some mod that made all those cruisers expose broadsides?  That never seems to happen when I play.

2 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Neither did reality or, rather, anyone except the americans ^.^

At least someone got the vague allusion I reached for there ;)

8 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Reality favored American Ships - the American combination of long-range focus with reliable, powerful superheavy shells, great overall design and metallurgy, and insanely good fire control along with exponentially better AA than any other naval power made its ships excellent overall. America's advantages lay especially in the 'soft' factors that don't translate/arent modeled/actually work against it in the game. An Iowa would shit on Yamato IRL, to say nothing of the monstrous Montana. But look at how the game ended up - Japanese ships dominate, second only to fantasy russian ships with guns firing at ridiculous barrel pressures and completely made up shells that ignore all laws of physics along with literal, absolutely unrealistic armor on a paper DD and engines that would blow up in seconds under quality Russian maintenance. 

3 hours ago, Mesrith said:

I do wonder if they're going to eventually lower the citadel height, given that they've already acknowledged that they goofed with the Iowa/Montana classes and are going to be lowering those.  Either way, the main turn-off for me is the shell velocity of the guns, which drove me nuts on the North Carolina.  I also don't see a need for another tier 8 battleship, already owning the Tirpitz and my beloved Amagi.

The ballistics of the NC are one of my favourite thing about the ship. I went off railguns a little while ago because the constant overpens were frustrating, but the NC is just so brutal at any range thanks to the heavy, slow shells that don't overpen all the time. Plus they're pretty crazy accurate.

1 hour ago, OnboardG1 said:

The ballistics of the NC are one of my favourite thing about the ship. I went off railguns a little while ago because the constant overpens were frustrating, but the NC is just so brutal at any range thanks to the heavy, slow shells that don't overpen all the time. Plus they're pretty crazy accurate.

Meh, give me Amagi's battery any day of the week.

NC shell velocity feels very much the same as NO or Pensacola. Long arc, but glorious deck pens at range.

I was under the impression, that the Armor was historically very good on the 'Bama, kind of a mini-me Iowa with the same Mark 6 16" guns as the NC and better armor than the NC.

Were the citadel historically really that large and exposed as were shown in Flammu's video and the guns that derpy??

2 hours ago, xWulffx said:

I was under the impression, that the Armor was historically very good on the 'Bama, kind of a mini-me Iowa with the same Mark 6 16" guns as the NC and better armor than the NC.

Were the citadel historically really that large and exposed as were shown in Flammu's video and the guns that derpy??

No their citadel is at water level, problem is the main armor deck sits at the top of the armor belt like the Iowa and Montana and WG determined this to be citadel space for some reason, the next patch is going to change that by dropping the Iowa and Montana's citadel space to where its suppose to be, but it looks like the Alabama is not getting the same treatment for "reasons"

5 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

No their citadel is at water level, problem is the main armor deck sits at the top of the armor belt like the Iowa and Montana and WG determined this to be citadel space for some reason, the next patch is going to change that by dropping the Iowa and Montana's citadel space to where its suppose to be, but it looks like the Alabama is not getting the same treatment for "reasons"

They've been fairly cautious with premium releases since the Belfast. My suspicion is that part of WG loosening the leash on Lesta was Lesta taking a "release UP and then buff" approach to premiums. 

19 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

Aaaah "Reasons"  that explains everything much more clearly now.

Note- sarcasm not meant towards Psychodiver , but WG!

It seems Alabama is getting underwater Citadel like NC for final testing just before release.

I might actually get it if they buff that. Additional T8 crew trainers are useful.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:21 AM, OnboardG1 said:

They've been fairly cautious with premium releases since the Belfast. My suspicion is that part of WG loosening the leash on Lesta was Lesta taking a "release UP and then buff" approach to premiums. 

Belfast is so comfortable to play in randoms, you can get almost the same experience from the Fiji - getting torps and heal in exchange for the radar and HE.  They both rock, and if I wasn't so committed to getting the Minotaur, I would probably stop the line right there.

I don't see myself getting the Alabama for the simple reason that I will soon own the Missouri ( 618/750k ) and I don't see a need for two high tier American premium BB's.  Glad that they are not going to have the high citadel on it, I just got the Iowa two weeks ago and got my butt kicked trying some of the same things I did in the North Carolina.

I don't see the appeal of buying a BB that takes damage easily. 

I play BBs when I get tired of getting slammed in single volleys. Why would I pay for that? 

4 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

Belfast is so comfortable to play in randoms, you can get almost the same experience from the Fiji - getting torps and heal in exchange for the radar and HE.  They both rock, and if I wasn't so committed to getting the Minotaur, I would probably stop the line right there.

I don't see myself getting the Alabama for the simple reason that I will soon own the Missouri ( 618/750k ) and I don't see a need for two high tier American premium BB's.  Glad that they are not going to have the high citadel on it, I just got the Iowa two weeks ago and got my butt kicked trying some of the same things I did in the North Carolina.

Fiji has a 2 percent higher win rate. I guess smoke plus torps trumps HE.

The Alabama is more maneuverable and has a better torpedo belt than NC. I am interested in seeing how it looks with final stats. I am approaching a 19 point BB captain on the US line. The more premiums, the faster you accumulate elite captains XP. That is very useful. You will never have to pay money to retrain your captain again.

34 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

Fiji has a 2 percent higher win rate. I guess smoke plus torps trumps HE.

I suspect it's a combination of having access to heal and a lot of Belfast driver's falling for the FotM hype for the ship and not having the skill or experience to make the most of the ship.

4 hours ago, Pocktio said:

I don't see the appeal of buying a BB that takes damage easily. 

I play BBs when I get tired of getting slammed in single volleys. Why would I pay for that? 

Don't show that much side then. It's quite easy to wiggle them between salvos, so as to bait them into shooting well angled belt.