OnboardG1

Onboard Reviews the T8s

37 posts in this topic

Alright, I'll give that a try.

15 hours ago, Expendable_Lad said:

At least you didnt throw money at the Prinz Eu-CreamInMyPantsWhenISeeThisOnTheEnemyTeam-gen

Thankfully I unlocked the Hipper a good while before the Eugen came out. I remember reading reviews and then staring at the Atago and Kutusov and thinking "really WG?"

32 minutes ago, Pocktio said:

Thankfully I unlocked the Hipper a good while before the Eugen came out. I remember reading reviews and then staring at the Atago and Kutusov and thinking "really WG?"

Well, those three came out at a time, when WG tried to give every premium ship a specialty. Atago was made a demigod and Kutusov became god, so Eugen had to one-up them as well and it became the only thing we worship more than god, nowadays. A money-bonus.

I'm pretty sure German speciality was meant to be AP, but then the Royal Navy came out with AP, smoke and heal; thoroughly stealing their ... already shitty limelight because they got crappy AP and nothing else.

I digress, ranting about German cruisers is not the point of this thread. I shall cease and desist.

I played one game with rudder shift, didn't do much more damage because I was focusing DDs, but it was noticeably helpful in dodging shells.

4 hours ago, Pocktio said:

I'm pretty sure German speciality was meant to be AP, but then the Royal Navy came out with AP, smoke and heal; thoroughly stealing their ... already shitty limelight because they got crappy AP and nothing else.

I digress, ranting about German cruisers is not the point of this thread. I shall cease and desist.

Feel free to rant about the hipster. It's shit and knows it is.

8 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

Feel free to rant about the hipster. It's shit and knows it is.

The ship itself handles pretty well and is relatively tanky as far as cruisers go. The damage output is garbage though. I was 1 v 1 against a Hipster in my Roon a few days ago and there just wasn't anything he could do to counter me. I just walked all over him. I could tell he was trying his best but every time he switched to AP I angled and his HE damage I easily healed through.

1 hour ago, Rodrigopine said:

The ship itself handles pretty well and is relatively tanky as far as cruisers go. The damage output is garbage though. I was 1 v 1 against a Hipster in my Roon a few days ago and there just wasn't anything he could do to counter me. I just walked all over him. I could tell he was trying his best but every time he switched to AP I angled and his HE damage I easily healed through.

I did the same thing to an Atago with the Roon. Switched to AP and killed him in to Broadsides. (5 cits) There is a huge jump in power on the German T9-T10 CA's vs all the T8's. They can shred the Kudizov as well because of their 20 km range.

Thanks Onboard, after a couple games with the rudder shift instead of concealment, I'm finding the NO to be much more enjoyable. I hadn't realized it, but I had been toying with it on Atago, and kept it there too. 

7 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Thanks Onboard, after a couple games with the rudder shift instead of concealment, I'm finding the NO to be much more enjoyable. I hadn't realized it, but I had been toying with it on Atago, and kept it there too. 

I actually meant the rudder shift in slot five, but if the full maneuver setup is working for you hooray.

As for the Mogami, I play her a lot like an Atlanta because the shell arcs with the 6" guns are actually pretty good for lobbing over islands. With CE I can usually get into good locations undetected. The torps are a great deterrent in case any BBs try to yolo you. Even with the slow turret traverse you can annihilate unwary DDs or CAs in a couple of salvos. The ship itself is pretty squishy so avoiding damage or detection is essential. The only other big negative to the ship is that it doesn't bring any utility to your team. Much like the Atago it is a selfish ship.

Yeah, I got the same feeling, the Atago is a lone wolf, not a pack hunter.  It seems to do best lurking at the edges of the action near it's detection range, getting opportunity fire and picking off low health ships trying to sneak away.  If you catch a BB making a power move at the front, you can lay out all your torps at the edge of detection and then start fires with the hope of getting good flooding damage if the torps hit.

It's a close second to the Kutuzov as my favorite tier 8 ship.  To think, if I hadn't gotten the Kutuzov in the Santa box splurge I probably never would have bought it.