ThomChen114

Centurion 7/1 - post 9.17.1 buff

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ThomChen114 said:

As did everyone who played the Centurion 7/1 got used to its deficiencies. The speed buff gives it some life, but its very much a 2nd line tank. The Centurion 7/1 used to be regarded as one of the best ridgeline fighters, mostly due to that turret armor, meaning you could afford to take the risk to aim just that split second longer. They gave other tanks like the M46 and Leo better snapshot capabilities since they had supposedly squishier turrets and then they took away that turret armor from the Centurion 7/1 while leaving its gun handling relatively the same (as in terrible)

depends on how you were expecting the Firefly to be played. 

thats what it feels like nowadays. Russian tanks seem to be among the best at hulldown positions, with tiny weakspots like cupolas on top that are mere slits compared to some of the big commander's cupola on some NATO tanks (RIP T110E5)

Well the E5 is still good @ hulldown as long as you abuse that 1.8 second aimtime or whatever it was.

The real problem with how high pen meds like the Centurion are balanced is that WG is hellbent to give them a dump stat, usually two. The AMX 30 has horrific turret bloom and bad armour; the Leopard PTA has no armour whatsoever, the Type 61 is derpy and slow; the WZ-120 is fucked every day by its gun depression. The Centurion is a particularly bad case since it's supposed to be a sniper - but bad bloom limits long range snapshotting; while bad turret armour post hd stops it from being a hulldown tank.

Contrast these meds against the T-10 or say the 111 1-4 and you'll see where the problem is, and remains. Those tanks pay virtually nothing for their combination of armour, mobility and firepower. You could argue that the gun depression is a balancing factor - but any good player worth your while will know how to squeeze the most out of that -5degrees - besides, compared to stuff like the 120  it isnt even that bad.

There is little reason not to play, say the Patton or the E-50 and spam APCR over the Cent 7/1, which doesnt even have an effective gold round while being fucked over in both soft and hard stats.

Also, until very recently, WG seemed to have a penchant for giving what they considered to be sniper tanks soul-crushing bloom values: the CDC, 4202, Cent, Panther being a few examples. I hope they realise that high bloom defeats the purpose of good accuracy.

16 hours ago, Felicius said:

One word: 416 :serb:

Well technically is only has standard pen of 201 but yeh.

I mean really it's stupid that the 416 has some of the best tier 8 med alpha at 320 but gets tier 9 med DPM to go with it whilst all the others get DPM worse than the tier 6 and 7 meds generally. 

Tier 8 med DPM for the 230 - 250 alpha guns should shift from the 1.8k - 2k it is now to the 2.4k - 2.6k IMO. 

Cos they really have very little else going for them. When your FV4202 (and Cent 1 used to) has less DPM than the IS3 has with 390 alpha because it has 'good pen' for a medium tank when it has the same pen as the IS3. 

DPM is a problem across the board for most British meds and heavies outside the Conqueror, Cromwell, Comet and Cent AX, which are the best tanks in the lines. 

Like the Cearnarvon should have like 2.4k DPM for that pathetic 230 alpha, same for the Black Prince, needs way more DPM, yet both pretty much as much alpha as the IS and IS3 who have 390 alpha guns. Completely stupid. 

Both lines need a buff overhaul like the German heavy and med lines just got, but I doubt it will happen because they are not as popular. 

1 hour ago, tajj7 said:

Both lines need a buff overhaul like the German heavy and med lines just got, but I doubt it will happen because they are not as popular. 

It will come with the Chieftain and the A45 buff.

1 hour ago, lavawing said:

It will come with the Chieftain and the A45 buff.

The Chieftain is in WoT console but how much longer can they seriously wait to implement it into WoT PC? Didn't the first come up with the idea of putting it in in like 2015?

2 hours ago, RGM79GM said:

The Chieftain is in WoT console but how much longer can they seriously wait to implement it into WoT PC? Didn't the first come up with the idea of putting it in in like 2015?

Do you remember first trailer with 2nd branch of French HTs? Yeah...

3 hours ago, RGM79GM said:

But then someone had a sake-infused vodka mix and they gave us the Japanese sumo tanks instead. 

1 hour ago, MacusFlash said:

Do you remember first trailer with 2nd branch of French HTs? Yeah...

there was a trailer of a 2nd branch of French HTs?

9 minutes ago, ThomChen114 said:

there was a trailer of a 2nd branch of French HTs?

Like 5 years ago (or more) in one of patch videos. 

kAhogcp.jpg

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/01/29/tanks-that-never-made-it/

14 hours ago, ThomChen114 said:

pfffft 

looks like a French version of the M103

Yea...but where is a secondary turret pointing in reverse?:tanfiesta:.

found the reason why it never made it.

finally Aced my Centurion 7/1 :tanfiesta:

involved face-hugging a Grille 15 and blasting his face with glorious HESH

something to note, the grand irony of British 105 calibre gun tanks like the Centurion 7/1 and Charioteer is how I more often than not would load the premium HESH against paper tanks 

i initially would just load the cheaper HESH with 105mm penetration against paper tanks, but I soon converted to the premium HESH cuz nothing says F*CK YOU than a guaranteed at least 480 damage, particularly against dem Swedes and glass cannon Germans, and the occasional French because rule Britannia! 

If you aren't running a lot of HESH on the 7/1 you are playing it wrong.

Nothing is more enjoyable than getting 2k damage in 5 shots.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:49 AM, ThomChen114 said:

finally Aced my Centurion 7/1 :tanfiesta:

involved face-hugging a Grille 15 and blasting his face with glorious HESH

something to note, the grand irony of British 105 calibre gun tanks like the Centurion 7/1 and Charioteer is how I more often than not would load the premium HESH against paper tanks 

i initially would just load the cheaper HESH with 105mm penetration against paper tanks, but I soon converted to the premium HESH cuz nothing says F*CK YOU than a guaranteed at least 480 damage, particularly against dem Swedes and glass cannon Germans, and the occasional French because rule Britannia! 

Never had any trouble penning a Grille or other paper tank even with my RU 251 cheap 102 mm pen 90 mm HESH...and I use Conq HESH a lot (120 mm pen).

Use it if you wanna waste credits. 210 pen HESH makes sense on meds that are just hard enough to block full pen from cheap HESH, like Leo 1...or paper heavies like 50 B

4 hours ago, Felicius said:

Never had any trouble penning a Grille or other paper tank even with my RU 251 cheap 102 mm pen 90 mm HESH...and I use Conq HESH a lot (120 mm pen).

Use it if you wanna waste credits. 210 pen HESH makes sense on meds that are just hard enough to block full pen from cheap HESH, like Leo 1...or paper heavies like 50 B

My ammo count on the Centurion 7/1 is 57/10/5

The reason why i'd load the premium HESH is due to the slow-ish reload, I want to have that better guarantee of penetrating and doing as much damage as possible, and sometimes I may run into meds where the 210 pen HESH would then be justified

and yes 120mm pen on Conq is sugoi~, so handy against all those paper TDs