capt-jay

[NA] Help a scrub get better...

18 posts in this topic

I've been at this quite a long time and I just seem to have plateaued.  I can identify immediately that one of my problems is marksmanship, too many games with 15 shots fired, 10 hits 7 pens type of stuff.  I suck at reading line ups and predicting where I will see which tanks for the most part.

Definitely appreciate any help I could get and I'm willing to put some monies up there on an hourly basis if I can find someone that really clicks with being able to teach me. I've taken lessons from guys like Smylee, Valacchio and other unicums, but it has been quite a while. But I had trouble really being able to put their information to use.

It you are not easily frustrated playing with scrubs, and wanna possibly make a little beer money, gimme a shout please. IGN is 'capt_jay' (not a dash)

I am usually on most days 4-7pm EST, but I can try and be flexible schedule wise, but I also have clan activity commitments as well

I'll platoon with you (and anyone else who wants to join)

Much thanks...today is kinda bad for me, I have to run an errand after work and my daughter's concert is tonight, but I can probably get on by 430pm EST or so

I platooned with capt-jay, and he does pretty much everything you ask for, and then some (sometimes over commits or does rush a shot, and doesn't get the kill in when it's critical). He's one of the better toonmates you can ask for. He can take the criticism as well, so you're not going to hurt him. Also, Capt is one of the nicest people you can toon with, will gladly rotate shots and share HP.

It probably comes down to retaining the things he learned part, possibly, information overload. Capt, pick a tank class, and select a few tanks that are similar, and get it down pat, and then try another group of tanks. I have trouble when I go between heavies, lights, and mediums... I just get angry and play arty -.-"

Also, in terms of rushing shots, when I toon with @DirtyACE7, he can't stand the 122mm guns. The 122mm guns give you the alpha, but only if you hit and pen. If that's not your thing, you have to go to the 105mm or the 100mm's. DO NOT go to 130mm (WZ-111 1-4 or IS7).

Hit me up to toon if you see me on anytime. 

3 hours ago, capt-jay said:

I've been at this quite a long time and I just seem to have plateaued.  I can identify immediately that one of my problems is marksmanship, too many games with 15 shots fired, 10 hits 7 pens type of stuff.  I suck at reading line ups and predicting where I will see which tanks for the most part.

Definitely appreciate any help I could get and I'm willing to put some monies up there on an hourly basis if I can find someone that really clicks with being able to teach me. I've taken lessons from guys like Smylee, Valacchio and other unicums, but it has been quite a while. But I had trouble really being able to put their information to use.

Hopefully this will help, though its hard to put what someone else has said into practice, especially as this advice isn't massively concrete

15 shots fired 10 hits 7 pens is fine.... I probably am worse.

one of the tricks is to fire more shots. Go for the low percenters if there is no risk to you.. 25 shots 13 hits 9 pens is a better game in terms of damage done. Or just dab the 2 key for moar pens guaranteed! XD

The trick is learning to put yourself in positions where you can get continuous effective fire on the enemy, which is where learning from the other guys in toons come in :)

Wish i could plat with you but im sea :(

3 minutes ago, garryallen said:

Hopefully this will help, though its hard to put what someone else has said into practice, especially as this advice isn't massively concrete

15 shots fired 10 hits 7 pens is fine.... I probably am worse.

one of the tricks is to fire more shots. Go for the low percenters if there is no risk to you.. 25 shots 13 hits 9 pens is a better game in terms of damage done. Or just dab the 2 key for moar pens guaranteed! XD

The trick is learning to put yourself in positions where you can get continuous effective fire on the enemy, which is where learning from the other guys in toons come in :)

Wish i could plat with you but im sea :(

This, but only, if you know you're not going to get spotted. More shots fired is better, ONLY IF, you KNOW, you're not going to get return fire or attract a lot of attention, especially from tanks within your vicinity. Also, assume arty has a hard-on for you too. 

I concur with the "skill" shell (assuming it's not HEAT, for tracks of tanks... or space armor).

Just now, Matross said:

Also, assume arty has a hard-on for you too. 

Avoiding arty is simple.... be less easy to hit than the o ni next to you.. and pray to serb

2 minutes ago, garryallen said:

Avoiding arty is simple.... be less easy to hit than the o ni next to you.. and pray to serb

+ Try to look as innocent and unimportant as possible, behind the biggest rock/building/wall possible. 

#TYxvmcamo #notmenotmenotme #dontyoudarearty

My hours are weird, so I'm not sure if you'll ever find me, but I'm fine with a plat.

I think gunnery is one of the least important skills in WoT, and I'd say it probably isn't your biggest problem, merely one that is caused by something else. Up until recently, I autoaimed most of my shots, including snipes. Obviously, I'm not saying you should do it, but what I mean by that is that you don't necessarily need to be perfect in connecting your shots, merely that you need to be firing more. I've heard plenty of super unicums say that you should always be finding better locations to keep your gun firing and take low-percentage shots if you don't think better ones will come within a reload. 

5 hours ago, SmurfReroll said:

I've heard plenty of super unicums say that you should always be finding better locations to keep your gun firing and take low-percentage shots if you don't think better ones will come within a reload. 

The flip side to this is that having been on the same side as him before, I'm fairly sure that the advice he needs to go from plateaued green to teal is different from that which recent purples are giving him.

For instance, this. I think he's probably trying too hard to keep his gun in the game, and getting punished for it. I think he's probably rushing too fast to a forward location, and getting spotted first and arty focused on many occasions. And I think he needs to remember that in a 6 minute game, a shot every 30 seconds in a 240 dmg tank between 60 seconds in and the game finishing on 6 minutes, is 2400 dmg - enough to 2 mark most t8 tanks pretty comfortably and easily enough to make him blue. Making him purple from there is just a case of having his gun firing every 25 seconds - suddenly doing 2920 dmg, or landing 1k in tracking shots as he goes.

Thosse who aren't red and aren't purple (most of the time) are more liable to forget how slowly they (we - I'm ~2300 atm after a big fall) need to play the game, than how fast! 

@capt-jay, if this resonates, look me up in game!

3 hours ago, FurryLionBalls said:

The flip side to this is that having been on the same side as him before, I'm fairly sure that the advice he needs to go from plateaued green to teal is different from that which recent purples are giving him.

For instance, this. I think he's probably trying too hard to keep his gun in the game, and getting punished for it. I think he's probably rushing too fast to a forward location, and getting spotted first and arty focused on many occasions. And I think he needs to remember that in a 6 minute game, a shot every 30 seconds in a 240 dmg tank between 60 seconds in and the game finishing on 6 minutes, is 2400 dmg - enough to 2 mark most t8 tanks pretty comfortably and easily enough to make him blue. Making him purple from there is just a case of having his gun firing every 25 seconds - suddenly doing 2920 dmg, or landing 1k in tracking shots as he goes.

Thosse who aren't red and aren't purple (most of the time) are more liable to forget how slowly they (we - I'm ~2300 atm after a big fall) need to play the game, than how fast! 

@capt-jay, if this resonates, look me up in game!

2400 damage is 3 marks pretty easy in a tier 8 tank... its 2 in a tier 9 XD

while that is a decent example, its rather unrealistic, as sporadically dealing damage does not work like that. its a mix of continuous fire, trading, and planting one shot in and running (stuff camping and waiting for shots its boring, though i go prok hill or mid in a sturer emil because im dumb).

while firing more in each situation is important, its creating those situations, especially where you wont take return damage that is so important. I'm not sure if you've read keweis article on getting more damage, so ill link it here

To be honest, saying all this stuff is great, but making sure you try it out is whats important. analyse your replays, try finding mistakes as you make them, and learn from them. It was this change in mindset that helped me from 1.7k recent to 2.4k recent, and more importantly 53% solo wins to 56-59% solo wins (ive been playing scouts too much and its dropped but that's fine XD)

I feel like most of what i said was waffle but ehh its fine

5 hours ago, garryallen said:

while firing more in each situation is important, its creating those situations, especially where you wont take return damage that is so important. I'm not sure if you've read keweis article on getting more damage, so ill link it here

Bold is mine, that is a large part of my problem, I am bad at trading I think...

I think I have read every article on here at least once, but wouldnt hurt to read again

Shout out to Cheeki for tooning with me, sorry I didnt have much time yesterday, but I appreciate it none the less.

On 3/15/2017 at 5:09 PM, garryallen said:

while that is a decent example, its rather unrealistic, as sporadically dealing damage does not work like that.

Seems to be working better for me than whatever you're doing is for you. Of course you take longer engagements when you benefit more from them, and shoot once or twice then, run and relocate or a minute or two at other times, but sporadically dealing damage to avoid getting primaried is actually exactly one of the things that the Inconvenience Principle would suggest doing to keep you alive longer - the thing you go on to link.

19 hours ago, FurryLionBalls said:

Seems to be working better for me than whatever you're doing is for you. Of course you take longer engagements when you benefit more from them, and shoot once or twice then, run and relocate or a minute or two at other times, but sporadically dealing damage to avoid getting primaried is actually exactly one of the things that the Inconvenience Principle would suggest doing to keep you alive longer - the thing you go on to link.

I think its my derpiness factor that makes me do worse than you, though my survival rate is far too low.

I guess i like pushing longer engagements because i play scouts a lot, which mean auto loaders or low alpha guns. with auto loaders, firing one shot at a time means your other stats like armour, gun depression and gun dispersion give you and inherent disadvantage, of course you want to get at least some of your clip off. With low alpha tanks, like the t37, you need continuous fire a lot more than say an isu or even a 240-50 alpha gun like the wz131. with the t37, the low reload and high dpm means that aiming for those engagements is the way to go, while in my wz i guess i play a lot more like you, in that i deal damage more sporadically, focusing on trading 1 for none.

While it is very situational, i guess i like the continuous fire more because it works better with the tanks i play (cromwell, t37, even e75 where you poke around a corner, leopard one is a mix) and isolating heavies is very fun :)

You've not seen how bad my survival rate is :D I have been specifically relating to t8 mediums in my own head as I'm currently marking those.

On 27/03/2017 at 11:53 AM, FurryLionBalls said:

You've not seen how bad my survival rate is :D I have been specifically relating to t8 mediums in my own head as I'm currently marking those.

I don't have any tier 8 mediums, though i just 3 marked the comet, which was a mix of sporadic and continuous fire, but definitely a lot more from continuous fire raping people over a ridgeline.