TheSovereign

Cap point mechanics

34 posts in this topic

So was in a pubbie match trying to explain game mechanics to two asshats who werent on the cap because they said there already was 3 on cap so they had no reason to.

Sparked a debate and now that I went back and re-read the wiki Ive found it doesnt really give an explanation one way or another of which of the following situations is true. All it states is that you cant get more than 3 cap points per second, and each person gets 1 cap point per second. I have always understood it as situation 1.

Situation 1: 5 people on cap,  each are accruing cap points at the same rate of 1 point/sec however it only accounts for the 3 players with the most cap points. They all arrived on the cap at the same time and each have 6 cap points for a total of 18 cap points, since only 3 can be counted at once. If any one single players cap points got reset, instead of the counter dropping to 12, it wouldnt drop at all since now it would be counting the next highest player which also has 6 cap points.

Situation 2: 5 people on cap, each are accruing cap points at the same, but reduced, rate of 0.6 point.sec due to the fact that you can only accrue a maximum of 3 points/sec total and it is distributed evenly between them. Again they all arrived on cap at the SAME time and each have 6 cap points for a total of 30 cap points, so when 1 player is reset the counter would drop to 24 cap points.

Situation 1 is the correct one I believe right?

looks like it's time for a training room

Just now, yuryi said:

looks like it's time for a training room

This.  I'd help, but I'm working.

Also, I doubt/question the Encounter 1 point/2.5 seconds... Could swear that some of the Encounter maps have the same rate as regular ones.

Its hard to get enough (competent) people to hop in a training room for random things like this

Didn't read but if you have 5 people on cap, then you divide 3 points among all of them. So each person gets 3/5 a point a second. Once reset you simply reset his counter like normal

99.9% sure

I thought everyone acumilates 1 point per second but the timer only takes into account the top 3 highest points.

So if four tanks got on cap at the same time, shooting just one of them won't do anything to the timer

Neither. It only accounts for the first 3 on cap  If one of the 3 gets reset and there are say... 5 on cap, the tank that got on the cap 4th accrues points. Each tank accumulates points at the same rate however at different times (when they got on cap).

This is why cap can accumulate in 1s really quickly, 3s if almost simultaneously, or 2s and 1 or 1s and 2s.

You reset for what the person had accumulated (i.e. accumulate 80 points you reset 80; if a guy got on late and accumulated 5, you only reset 5).

Additionally if you kill everything (via time extension mechanic), you can win even though you were capped out.

33 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Neither. It only accounts for the first 3 on cap  If one of the 3 gets reset and there are say... 5 on cap, the tank that got on the cap 4th accrues points.

Fulcrous, I would appreciate a little more clarification if you can.

I always interpreted the vague description as each tank on cap accrues cap points and the game takes the highest 3 which is subtly different than how I read your post.

Tank 1 - 30

Tank 2 - 25

Tank 3 - 20

Tank 4 - 15

Tank 5 - 10

CAP Points = 30+25+20 = 75

If Tank 1 gets reset then Tank 4's cap points become part of the total (and does not start at 0 accrual?)

Tank 1 - 0

Tank 2 - 25

Tank 3 - 20

Tank 4 - 15

Tank 5 - 10

CAP Points = 25+20+15 = 60  and Not Cap Points = 25+20+1 = 46 

1 hour ago, Fulcrous said:

Additionally if you kill everything (via time extension mechanic), you can win even though you were capped out.

That is not correct. We have had sh battles in BRAH where enemy team capped to 100, but we kept killing them and extending the time. After we killed everything (0 enemy tanks alive) we still lost the game by being capped out.

1 hour ago, 8_Hussars said:

-snip-

Capping is such a simple concept that I am frankly shocked it's even a question that requires discussion. However since it's something not really touched upon, I can see where confusion comes from.

Wrong. 3 is the physical max you can have on cap for standard/atk + def modes. Any other tanks accrue 0 until it is their 'turn' to cap (determined by resets or getting of cap).
You accrue 1 cap point/second per tank on the capture circle in standard and atk/def modes.
You can accrue a maximum of 3 cap points/second according to the wiki.

Consider this situation:

• You have 5 tanks on cap that go on at all different times.
  • Tank A goes on cap and accrues 1 cap point/second
  • 1 second later, Tank B goes onto cap and also accrues 1 cap point/second for a total of 2 cap points/second.
  • 1 second later Tank C also goes onto cap and accrues another 1 cap point/second for a total of 3 cap points/second
  • Tanks D and E (D goes on before E) goes onto cap shorty after but both accrues 0 cap points/second due to the physical max of 3 tanks accruing points on cap.

Let's say this process takes 10s in total.
This would mean the following:

• Tank A accrue 10 cap points
  • Tank B accrue 9 cap points
  • Tank C accrue 8 cap points
  • Tanks D and E accrue 0 cap points

This accounts to a total of 27 points.

Now if tank A gets hit (penetration/module damage)..the counter drops from 27 --> 17 and the following occurs...

• Tank A's accrued 10 cap points drops to 0 and is put at the end of the capturing queue.
  • Tank B still has 9 cap points and continues to accrue at 1 point/second.
  • Tank C still has 8 cap points and continues to accrue at 1 point/second
  • Tank D begins to accrue points starting from 0 at a rate of 1 point/second.
  • Tanks A and E now accrue 0 cap points but tank E now has priority for beginning to accrue points when Tanks B, C, or D gets reset.

The same concept applies of Tanks B or C gets reset first/later. Their cap points become nullified and the tank that accrues points shifts based on order of who got on cap first. The tank that gets reset gets lowest priority for capping until it comes full circle again.

This is why in a competitive situation (or clan wars/advances/absos) you see UP TO 3 capping. Any more tanks are designed to screen or act as bait to confuse the enemy to falsely reset a cap that accrues 0 points/second.

1 hour ago, Gr1nch_1 said:

That is not correct. We have had sh battles in BRAH where enemy team capped to 100, but we kept killing them and extending the time. After we killed everything (0 enemy tanks alive) we still lost the game by being capped out.

That should not be the case. It might be different because strongholds/WG coding lul. Was this an advance?

Once capture is complete, the round does not end immediately. There is a delay of at least 5 seconds before victory is yours (unless the battle timer runs out earlier). According to Overlord this delay gets extended each time a vehicle is destroyed. The following outcomes are possible:

• All friendly vehicles [of the capturing team] are destroyed within the delay: Enemy team wins.

I'd test it anyway. Without any info WG changed how gun armor works so I wouldn't be surprised if they touched cap mechanics too.

I know @Fulcrous its weird. I can post a replay if i find it when i get home. 

And no, it was just regular tier 10 sh previous patch.

8 hours ago, Errants said:

Also, I doubt/question the Encounter 1 point/2.5 seconds... Could swear that some of the Encounter maps have the same rate as regular ones.

I swear some maps have different encounter cap times... though not sure about that

1 minute ago, garryallen said:

I swear some maps have different encounter cap times... though not sure about that

So test it in training room. Unfortunately I'm too busy this week to do it myself.

Just now, MacusFlash said:

So test it in training room. Unfortunately I'm too busy this week to do it myself.

Tbh i can;t be stuffed enough even tho it will only b like 15 mins at most... less if i immediately find two different maps

4 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Fulcrous, I would appreciate a little more clarification if you can.

I always interpreted the vague description as each tank on cap accrues cap points and the game takes the highest 3 which is subtly different than how I read your post.

Tank 1 - 30

Tank 2 - 25

Tank 3 - 20

Tank 4 - 15

Tank 5 - 10

CAP Points = 30+25+20 = 75

If Tank 1 gets reset then Tank 4's cap points become part of the total (and does not start at 0 accrual?)

Tank 1 - 0

Tank 2 - 25

Tank 3 - 20

Tank 4 - 15

Tank 5 - 10

CAP Points = 25+20+15 = 60  and Not Cap Points = 25+20+1 = 46 

I always considered this the correct version. Not really sure where this "knowledge" comes from though. But like stated before, things may have changed by WG or work differently per game mode, although I doubt that. Test it and let us know!

6 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

Capping is such a simple concept that I am frankly shocked it's even a question that requires discussion. However since it's something not really touched upon, I can see where confusion comes from.

Thanks!

Even if a player bothers to read (and try to understand) the wiki the number of times where this situation/concept becomes important and is applicable in random play is minuscule.  It's obviously a more important concept for WGLNA play.

6 hours ago, garryallen said:

IIRC

Standard/Assault mode counter is 1 minute 40 seconds (100 seconds) to cap, (1 tank 100 seconds, 2 tanks 50 seconds, 3 tanks 33 seconds)

Encounter mode counter is 2.5 X longer, 4 minutes 10 seconds (250 seconds) to cap, (1 tank 250 seconds, 2 tanks 125 seconds, 3 tanks 83 seconds)

17 hours ago, TheSovereign said:

Its hard to get enough (competent) people to hop in a training room for random things like this

I am admittedly incompetent, but I can follow directions.  So let me know if you need a test dummy to sit in a cap circle and get shot.

You know I felt like an idiot for posting this initially, but now seeing that im not the only person confused makes me feel better.

So capped during the map exhibition last night a few times, and I paid attention to the cap point distribution. Note: We WON BY CAPPING.

In the after battle report you can find the following information:

BATTLE 1-

Player 1: 42 cap points

Player 2: 4 cap points

Player 3: 49 cap points

Player 4: 9 cap points

For a total of 104 cap points

BATTLE 2-

Player 1: 16 cap points

Player 2: 34 cap points

Player 3: 16 cap points

Player 4: 21 cap points

Player 5: 17 cap points

BATTLE 3-

Player 1: 13 cap points

Player 2: 7 cap points

Player 3: 8 cap points

Player 4: 7 cap points

Player 5: 16 cap points

Player 6: 34 cap points

Player 7: 19 cap points

So something seems a little odd here...

This information would lead me to believe that on the two situations I posted that #2 is correct and that indeed everyone on the cap gains cap points, but at a reduced rate.

Hard to explain...

(getting on and off cap, driving through cap, on and reset will still get you cap points.)

Maybe the 104 (which seems surprisingly precise) includes the grace period?  

Replays?

How wouldnt they have to be on cap to acquire cap points?

Note I did differentiate between CAP and DEFEND points and obviously did not count defend points. And if anyones points didnt count, it wouldnt have equaled 100 so therefore wouldnt have achieved successful cap.

drive through and get on and/or off gets points that don't contribute to cap win.

Partially Confirmed.  Drove through cap during clean up phase and was credited with cap points in the after battle report, even though the win was through extermination (no end cap extension shenanigans) as no one was on cap at close of battle.

No, if you lose the points it does NOT count them at the end.

Something is up with capping understanding.

BATTLE 1-

Player 1: 50 cap points

Player 2: 35 cap points

Player 3: 10 cap points

Player 4: 5 cap points

For a total of 100 cap points