Assassin7

Asassian's new PC build log

42 posts in this topic

So, for the last while, I've been saving to build myself a new PC. 

If people remember, my current PC has to be shared with my little brother. something that I despise, as you would imagine. not to mention the fact hes ruined it, installed several viruses, etc.

ANYWAY, I have my mothers word that I will have full control over this new one, and that NO ONE ELSE will be allowed to touch it. this reason alone is a good 50% of the reason I am upgrading now. Under normal circumstances my 3570K/8GB DDR3/GTX970 could easily last another year or more. 

Anyway, Heres a build log for it. My Theme is going to be White/Blue. so the parts I've chosen reflect that aesthetic. 

first things first, the actual build: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/cM3dzM

Notes:

7700K - I was going for a 7600K, I myself could not afford to stretch to a 7700K, which would of been preferred due to the fact I stream+do some video editing for said stream and such. while my 3570K streams WoT fine, It struggles with other games causing stutters and lags and frame drops on the broadcast. the i7 should solve this issue allowing me to stream games much more smoothly. now, I couldn't actually afford the 7700K in my own budget, but People generously donated me the difference between a 7600K and a 7700K on stream. yay for nice people.

Hyper 212X: taking this from my old build. not much to say. its a Hyper 212. good cooler.

Motherboard: the ASUS PRIME Z270-P. I chose this partly for the white theme, partly for the price, but mainly because it was ASUS. I might be a bit of an ASUS fanboy, but they are my first and only choice when it comes to motherboards. I couldnt stretch to the AURA Z270-AR model unfortunately, but im not too worried because I dont want an RGB theme, just a blue one. 

RAM: I used this ram in my Step Brothers build, It looks really nice, and its at a good price. Along with this, because my Step Brother is a fair bit more rich than me, and since he's obsessed with RGB, hes upgrading to G.SKILLs new RGB RAM, and offered to sell his current RAM to me. I was going to buy a new set, but a set of 2 month old RAM for ~70 bucks off? ill take it. 

GPU: I couldn't afford to stretch to the 1080, unfortunately. and anyway Im only gaming at 1080p, so a 1080 would probably have been overkill anyway. I went ASUS for a couple reasons: first, I trust ASUS as a brand. (same reason Im going for their mobo) second: I wanted the triple fan setup (and Gigabyte has the stupid orange accents on their Windforce cards which doesn't fit with the theme im going for, such a dumb move on their part) and third, because of the Aura RGB+I like the design of their card the most out of whats on offer down in NZ. 

Case: This was a bit of a gamble for me, actually. My initial plan was to go for a Phantecks Enthoo Pro (which i the case I used in my step brothers build and I LOVED it) But I didn't, mainly because I wanted a Tempered Glass Panel. And then I stumbled upon the Inwin 303. Its an... interesting case. But I absolutely love the design, its pretty unique, I've read plenty of reviews on it which are pretty positive, and It was a really good price (cheaper than the Enthoo actually) I did research it heavily before buying, so im fairly confident in it. AND IT LOOKS AMAZING

FANS: This case however doesn't come with any fans. I plan on Using Thermaltake RIING 120mm Fans, blue LEDs, to accent it. However I cant afford those just yet, so they'll be later on.

PSU: I also used this in my step brothers build, i learned from my first build, and am getting a modular PSU this time lol. I was considering getting custom cables bit decided against it as too expensive, plus I like the design of the cables the PSU comes with anyway so no big deal. 

Along with this, I am taking from my old build, the 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB WD Caviar Blue 7200RPM HDD, and my ASUS 24" 1080p monitor. 

First update, I bought the case maybe 3 weeks ago now? It was on sale for $40 off, so I would of been stupid to not pick that up. and Yesterday I also picked up the GPU, because it comes with a copy of Ghost Recon Wildlands, which I am selling to a friend for 50 bucks, which I will need if I can afford the rest of the build by next week:

HXXQoH9.jpg

Second: if you can see the desk in the background of that photo, thats where the PC is going. (the current one is in the office across the hall, and thats staying there because my Brother will be keeping that as part of the deal he won't be able to touch the new one) but, as you can see, its covered in shit. much mess. so that needs a clean.

vSzVXbN.jpg

and here we have a mockup, with a few old monitors I have lying around. Im thinking I might be able to squeeze 3 monitors on there, Im not sure though because those monitors are all 19" or smaller, and my primary is 24", However I might be able to fit that 4:3 screen on the left in there, which would be perfect for just having TS or whatever voice chat program I'm using open while im playing (the second screen normally holds my streaming software/stream chat etc etc so I can see whats happening when streaming)

EDIT: oh yeah, i've also got a bunch of posters I need to put up (which are on the couch next to the desk) so when its done its going to look like a pretty good nerdcave xD

will update more when I get more parts.

Currently deciding whether I should replace my current keyboard (which is red themed) for a new Keyboard that has a blue or white backlight. 

On one hand, I do like my current keyboard a fair bit, and its not like it needs replacing. But on the other, the aesthetic. Is it worth it. hmmm.

Also thinking about retiring my Roccat Kone Pure (which is blue, but thanks in part to my little brother is in terrible condition) and going full on with my Logitech G403 that I Currently use for my laptop (which I bought nearly brand new off a friend for half price who bought it, didnt like it, and bought a different mouse within like a week)

Decisions, because I love my Roccat. Its the most comfortable mouse In the world for me. But new. Hmmmmm

Backlit keyboards

*shakes head*

kids these days. Get one of these bad boys and it'll be the only keyboard you'll ever need

oCJKOeI.jpg

didn't you just say your were "quite fond" of your keyboard? :kappa:

1 minute ago, TreeBearHunter said:

didn't you just say your were "quite fond" of your keyboard? :kappa:

yes, and thats the problem D:

Aesthetic or fondness? WHAT DO I PICK???

2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

yes, and thats the problem D:

Aesthetic or fondness? WHAT DO I PICK???

Resistance if you keep playing Wot and tend to rage a lot.

2 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

Resistance if you keep playing Wot and tend to rage a lot.

And thats the reason I don't rage like that. 6 years or so playing WoT now, and I've never once banged my keyboard/punched monitor/etc. If I get to that point I stop playing. No damaged hardware here. 

1 hour ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

Jesus Christ 747$ for a 1070 wtf.

529$ for an i7.

what the fuck is up with pricing in Australia.

@Assassin7 

yep, welcome to NZ prices. That was why I was originally going for an i5 and would never of been able to afford the i7 without donations. 

For keyboards it all depends on what sort of keys your looking for.  Mechanical i believe is preferred for most gamer's but its all about how it feels to you.  Just a heads up there are White primary color keyboards that do blue lights (tho dont now how that would look right in front of you).  But all depends on budget.  For the mechanical keys, if you do go mechanical, Cherry MX-red is preferred but does have a load click when pressing keys (may not annoy you but if others are around may annoy them) Cherry MX- Brown are the same thing as MX-red just with out the load click, same switch just quieter.  Cherry MX-blue is more of a typing switch.  And i didnt go past those three but thats what a wiki page is for.

Another question to ask if are you looking for a Full keyboard or just keyboard with out the number pad or dont care.

Side note most keyboards you are going to find are going to be black and most likely have RGB.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-RAPIDFIRE-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlit/dp/B01ER4B7YM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489748260&sr=1-3&keywords=corsair%2Bkeyboard&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Prodigy-Keyboard-Lighting-920-008083/dp/B01K48R5V4/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489748305&sr=1-2&keywords=logitech+gaming+keyboards

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spectrum-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B01BBKYM3I/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489748305&sr=1-7&keywords=logitech+gaming+keyboards

Links only for example.

Mouse unfortunately is all about feel and doing the tuning to make it feel like part of your hand.  Wireless mouse have mostly caught up to wired gaming mouse so that all personal choose and do you like the mouse or not.

youtube link that i was going to put in didnt work so youtube Linustechtips wired vs wireless.  and you will find it.

Hope this helps with keyboard and mice questions let me know if you have any more.

Don't worry. I know all about the keyboards, mice and such, im just wondering whether I should buy one or not. if I can afford it, which I don't think I can right now so eh. 

Ya that is always the the question.  I got new things.  want to replace all the things. but i am attached to senpai.

10 hours ago, Whole_Nutjob said:

Backlit keyboards

*shakes head*

kids these days. Get one of these bad boys and it'll be the only keyboard you'll ever need

oCJKOeI.jpg

Those old keyboards wont register more than 2 keys being pressed at once tho :P

ah assassin, you remind me of the good old days, when I was the little brother that filled up his older brother's PC with viruses by trying to get video games for free.

Cherry switches are the way to go, I love annoying the people around me.

18 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

529$ for an i7.

@Assassin7 

Shipping and conversion fees

So, It turns out I wont be running 3 monitors unless I get another new one, all of the ones I have are either VGA or DVI, and my new GPU has only one DVI port, HDMI and Displayport. 

My primary monitor has HDMI, but Ill only be able to use one of the DVI ones. 

Ahh well, I was planning on getting a new screen at some point anyway. Not now, later on. 

7 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

So, It turns out I wont be running 3 monitors unless I get another new one, all of the ones I have are either VGA or DVI, and my new GPU has only one DVI port, HDMI and Displayport. 

HDMI to DVI? It's like 5 bucks. 

On 3/17/2017 at 4:00 AM, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

529$ for an i7.

@Assassin7 

On 3/17/2017 at 5:04 AM, Assassin7 said:

And thats the reason I don't rage like that. 6 years or so playing WoT now, and I've never once banged my keyboard/punched monitor/etc. If I get to that point I stop playing. No damaged hardware here. 

yep, welcome to NZ prices. That was why I was originally going for an i5 and would never of been able to afford the i7 without donations. 

Have you ask others on wotlabs to see if they can buy the stuff for you then ship it over? i7 7700k is like $289.99 (~414 NZD) and 409.99 (~585 NZD) here.

5 minutes ago, MAJEST1C said:

Have you ask others on wotlabs to see if they can buy cpu for you? i7 7700k is like $289.99 (~414 NZD) and 409.99 (~585 NZD) here.

but wouldn't you then have the problem of shipping costs? 

id imagine shipping something from the US EU or CA would cost alot.......

Similar to what I'm using, a 6600k and a 1070, though I'm only running 8 gigs of RAM and a cheaper case.

2 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

Not as much as the natural price difference New Zealanders face I'd guess. Especially if it's just the really expensive but lightweight things like the CPU and GPU.

11 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

Not sure about the shipping cost. I dont know where exactly Assassins live, but I can usually get those parts at a cheaper price due to cash backs or some other benefits.

Ive looked at shipping costs, when I bought my SSD I looked at the costs of shipping it from US via a friend, the shipping cost was more than the SSD was worth. And I lose out on warranties and shit like that. Its not worth it IMO, and too much of a hassle. 

6 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

HDMI to DVI? It's like 5 bucks. 

I didn't know that existed. Huh.

Import tax ... and they usually get really pissed if you try to avoid it and get caught.

Update: Im now broke. 

But I have some pretty new computer parts

Okay I love windows 10. I dont care what bad experiences other people have against it, For Pure user friendlyness and just general compatability and all of that shit, Windows 10 is amazeballs. 

So, due to that post, I think you'll gather that Its working. And you'd be right. 

Install went smooth until we had to do the CPU cooler. Which we fucked up. And then spent like 20 minutes fucking around with wondering why the hell it wouldnt fit and then realising it wasn't centered properly on the socket and that moving it like 10mm to the right solved all of our issues. Lol. /Salt.

After that it was all gucci. The cable management in the case is good, (not the best I admit, but its good enough) the drive installation is cool, some little plates that screw into the motherboard tray, just screw the drives on. And it looks great, great way to display the SSD. 

And then we get to the moment of truth. Put everything back together. Plugged it all in, started it up and BOOM! Everything works first time! YEEESSSS!!

and then we get to the second moment of truth. Starting windows. I fully expected it to fail, I fully expected to have to reinstall it. And this is where my opening paragraph was for: NOPE! it reconfigured itself, then straight up to desktop. No problems whatsoever. At all. When I did this with my windows 7 install, It didnt work and I had to fresh install it. It was a massive hassle to get working. 

The only issue was that it deactivated, and wouldnt reactivate even though my MS account was connected to the install. But after a 10 min live chat with MS support that was fixed with no issues whatsoever. So its running perfectly fine. Yuss!

And now we get to the sad story. Right after that, I had to leave for work. And becsuse I hadn't gotten my old one back up and running (I needed to fresh install windows 7 to it, and I need the cooler which is currently in my step brothers PC, until he can get a new cooler on wednesday) so, guess who the first person to use my new PC is? Yeah. My little brother. The person that is the entire reason I built this PC for, so he would not be able to use it. FML.

Im at work on my phone right now, so pics later. But it looks fucking epic.