Pocktio

Starting the IJN Line - Tips please!

14 posts in this topic

Hi gang,

I'm starting from the Isokaze and would appreciate any tips you may have.

Also what Captain skills?

Priority Target

Last Stand

Concealment Expert

The other tier 4 skills look kind of meh, so would then take either Superintendent, Torpedo Armanent Expertise and/or Survivability Expert...but in what order?

Also what line split to go for? What is the difference between them? I think one ends in a gunboat?

First, the line that goes with the Hatsu and Shiriyatsu end in the Akizuki which is a gunboat, (however all the ones before are still torpedo boats so think about that)

The other line are all torpedo boats, yeah.

Go for superintendant, and Concealment expert, which is what I went for first. After that pile on the torpedo bonuses plus Demo expert. 

I cant speak for earlier in the line, as I ground it out before the split, but the Akatsuki actually has pretty decent guns. Dont be afraid to use them on that ship (similar for the Kagero), but You're using the same guns a tier higher so its not as effective, however they are still leagues better than what you got before the split)

You will find that they can be very bit and miss. Some games you will have multiple BBs just plow straight into every torp salvo you fire, and some games everyone will start randomly turning for no apparent reason as you fire every salvo meaning you get no damage at all. Hence why not being afraid to use your guns when you need to is important. 

However jap DDs rely on stealth so its best to just fire out of smoke and stay unspotted, as I know from experience playing as them and against them getting spotted will cause any player with a functioning brain to immediatly throw the rudder hard to one side and cause you to miss your torps.  Its always better to let them know you're there with a face full of torpedoes coming out of nowhere at 1.5km lol

Advanced firing training adds 20%to your gun range. It's a worthwhile second 4 point pick.

I assume you're going up to the Shimakaze so here are the skills I would recommend as a start.

Tier 1: Preventative Maintenance

Tier 2: Last Stand, Adrenaline Rush

Tier 3: Survivability Expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise

Tier 4: Concealment Expert

That's for the first 15 points, after that, take your pick.

You may also consider RPF for them. Less as an offensive weapon (though it is that too), but more for keeping your butt unspotted and pulverized. I have it on my Shira captain (who is secretly my Fujin seal clubbing captain.) 

Oh yeah, you like 100% need last stand, your shit gets knocked out all the time in DDs. 

I'm not sold on torpedo armament expertise. The gain is too small and situational for the point cost (opportunity cost).

Superintendent is a much better 3 point pick.

Basic Firing Training - +10% reload speed of guns

Expert Marksman - +2.5 deg/second gun traverse (somewhat slow on Japanese DD)

are some considerations as well

TAE is huge on some of those boats which have like 120 sec torp reloads

I wouldn't take Preventative Maintenance if I was planning on getting Last Stand, I'd take Priority Target instead.

2 hours ago, Manic_Wombat said:

I'm not sold on torpedo armament expertise. The gain is too small and situational for the point cost (opportunity cost).

Superintendent is a much better 3 point pick.

No, it isn't. In Japanese destroyers, your torpedoes are your biggest asset and you should be using skills that boost them even more. Torpedo armament expertise is a must, along with adrenaline rush too since it will reduce your torpedo reload even more once you've taken damage. For instance, once you've lost 50% of your HP, your torpedo reload is reduced by another 10%.

1 hour ago, xWulffx said:

Basic Firing Training - +10% reload speed of guns

Expert Marksman - +2.5 deg/second gun traverse (somewhat slow on Japanese DD)

are some considerations as well

TAE is huge on some of those boats which have like 120 sec torp reloads

I wouldn't take Preventative Maintenance if I was planning on getting Last Stand, I'd take Priority Target instead.

So you think Preventative Maintenance is just for your engine and steering gears? Absolutely not. The biggest use for it and the main reason you take it on Japanese destroyers is to reduce the chance of your torpedo tubes being knocked out. And as I mentioned above, Japanese destroyers are not primarily gunboats, therefore buffing the guns before buffing the torpedoes is a mistake.

The only Japanese destroyer where you boost the guns over the torpedoes is the Akizuki.

19 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

So you think Preventative Maintenance is just for your engine and steering gears? Absolutely not. The biggest use for it and the main reason you take it on Japanese destroyers is to reduce the chance of your torpedo tubes being knocked out. And as I mentioned above, Japanese destroyers are not primarily gunboats, therefore buffing the guns before buffing the torpedoes is a mistake.

The only Japanese destroyer where you boost the guns over the torpedoes is the Akizuki.

I asked about that somewhere else and never got an answer about it so, thanks that's good to know.

Does it also apply to AA guns and secondary guns as well??

I never said to buff the guns over the torps, just that in some cases it could be a consideration.

TAE is always a primary choice for Japanese DDs, except the Akizuki unless you went without IFHE which IMHO is not a good option.

No, preventative maintenance does not work on secondaries and AA. I believe @Mesrith asked a dev that specific question, and the response was no.

58 minutes ago, xWulffx said:

I asked about that somewhere else and never got an answer about it so, thanks that's good to know.

Does it also apply to AA guns and secondary guns as well??

I never said to buff the guns over the torps, just that in some cases it could be a consideration.

TAE is always a primary choice for Japanese DDs, except the Akizuki unless you went without IFHE which IMHO is not a good option.

48 minutes ago, MntRunner said:

No, preventative maintenance does not work on secondaries and AA. I believe @Mesrith asked a dev that specific question, and the response was no.

Preventative Maintenance applies only to things that can be "incapacitated", or temporarily disabled.  Secondaries and AA don't have incapacitation; they're either alive and functional, or they're destroyed and nonfunctional.  Modules that can be incapacitated are engine, steering, torpedoes, and main battery.  IMO it should be the default choice for every destroyer, because they benefit from protecting every one of those modules.

I ended up respecting my Gneisenau captain to preventative maintenance when I got so frustrated losing my torpedos everytime I need them in a close range brawl. I think I've only lost them once since the respect, and that was to an ifhe Belfast.

IJNS DDs are in a low spot in their development at the moment. The lower tiers like to Isokaze and Minekaze had their torpedoes speed reduced considerably. The higher tier torpedoes suffer from easy detectability. Plus if you have good DD or CV captains on the opposing team  you're probably going to have a bad time. (Most of my recent big damage games have come from the enemy being stripped of their DDs early on in the match allowing me free reign. You just can't rely on them being bad every match now.)

The only good thing about learning the line now is that if you can find success amid these drawbacks you will be more powerful when they eventually re-balance the ships and torpedoes.