Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoliDeoGloria

IJN Kaga

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, xWulffx said:

Even allowing for a certain degree of confirmation bias, I don't believe a ~10% number is far off simply and most players want to do damage and sink ships in CVs as opposed to shooting down planes and defending their team,  because where's the fun in that?

Fighter-heavy loadouts don't win games; sinking ships does.  The problem is that because of the way Wargaming has "balanced" the carriers with various squadron sizes, the IJN ships get a usable amount of fighters even in their best damage-dealing strike packages.  The USN is penalized for having a 6-plane base fighter squadron by being pigeon-holed into either damage or fighters, rarely both.

I will say that the current Kaga setup seems better than the previous arrangements they were testing.

Its probably a fun ship as long as you dont face a saipan

1 hour ago, Mesrith said:

Fighter-heavy loadouts don't win games; sinking ships does.  The problem is that because of the way Wargaming has "balanced" the carriers with various squadron sizes, the IJN ships get a usable amount of fighters even in their best damage-dealing strike packages.  The USN is penalized for having a 6-plane base fighter squadron by being pigeon-holed into either damage or fighters, rarely both.

I will say that the current Kaga setup seems better than the previous arrangements they were testing.

Again I agree, but in a good many matches you'll have 1 team with someone who plays CVs very well and the other team they CV just plain sucks.  I'd rather have the novice try to help the team by going after the enemy planes as opposed to the fumbling around ineffectively trying to sink ships until he gets better at sinking ships.

Most don't have the common sense to stick to PVE mode until they learn how to run CVs

IJN got fighters with strike loadouts because pure strike loadouts are bad, same as the virtually pure AS loadouts USN carriers get.

2 hours ago, Expendable_Lad said:

(esp. with torp acceleration you have ~60km/h fish)

1 knot equals 1.852km/h. 51 knots, the base speed, are thus running at ~94.4km/h. With torp acceleration you end up having torps that ride underneath the waves at a speed of 103km/h.

3 hours ago, publord said:

Its probably a fun ship as long as you dont face a saipan

Six tier six fighters against four tier nine fighters isn't that much in the favor of the Saipan. A good Kaga player should be able to outplay the majority of Saipan players, especially if you're able to distract the Saipan with your fighters near the middle of the map and then go around with all those torpedo bombers and strike him or her out in one attack. It's actually the fighter load out Ranger that will be the biggest threat to this ship, as I rarely run into a fighter load out Saipan player who is actually capable of causing me problems.

10 hours ago, Mesrith said:

I still try to wrap my head around the fact, that the US strike-loadouts not only lack any fighters at all, but also favour dive-bombers over torpedo-bombers, usually ending in a 0-1-2 or 0-1-3. Now, I think US dive bombers are criminally underrated, but that is so wrong on so many levels, as it not only robs you of the tactical layer of fighters, but it also completely gimps your ability for utility. You can not spot without lowering your already problematic damage-capabilities, you can not disrupt the enemy carrier, you have severe troubles of dealing with smoked up enemies and you can not effectively defend your own air-groups. Meanwhile the IJN gets all that for the "cost" of having nearly useless dive-bombers, which is not really a loss in the grand scheme of things.

Personally, I love playing AA-focused CVs, but they are, by far, the most force-multiplying ship to play in the entire game. They are borderline incapable of winning a game, but they are extremely useful when the team is not composed of brain-dead morons. Shutting down an IJN-strike CV, is no small boon for the team, as it robs the enemy team of several tactical layers (denying damage, denying spots, denying areas). It's a shame, that so few random teams can capitalize on that.

10 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Six tier six fighters against four tier nine fighters isn't that much in the favor of the Saipan. A good Kaga player should be able to outplay the majority of Saipan players, especially if you're able to distract the Saipan with your fighters near the middle of the map and then go around with all those torpedo bombers and strike him or her out in one attack. It's actually the fighter load out Ranger that will be the biggest threat to this ship, as I rarely run into a fighter load out Saipan player who is actually capable of causing me problems.

Assuming equal skill levels, I'm confident the Saipan with 2/2 still wins most of the time.  The speed advantage and monster strafing power against planes 3 tiers below yours is going to mean that the Kaga has to play a much better game.

Having said that, I agree that most carrier players are pretty bad, especially at tier 7 with two premiums to account for.  Kaga will probably be in pretty good shape.

Standard Saipan strat:

Lock planes, disengage, instant strafe, repeat.

8 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Standard Saipan strat:

Lock planes, disengage, instant strafe, repeat.

You make it sound so simple, but for you and Mesrith it IS SIMPLE.

I enjoy the tier limited options of 4/5 if I need to play a CV,   while I can auto drop fairly well, I am absolutely unable to time the auto strafe without sending my fighters shooting at empty sky.  My only defense is that I don't play carriers in PVP, I think they sit at about 1% of my battles.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0