96 posts in this topic

No comment on siege mode, other than requiring a bit more planning, but -11 gun depression and traverse fast enough that you basically have unlimited arc are pretty nice things to have.

if you get rushed by a light you're doing something wrong.

Also siege mode takes some time to get used to, but once you've mastered it, you're going to get a shitload of yoloswag shots (also thanks to 0.01 dispersion while moving), so dank most people will call you hacker..

I had more fun in this thing than on the Skorp. Sitting at a campsite pumping free dmg to yolo pubbies, would definitely want a mediocre team than a decent one :minidoge:

On 29/03/2017 at 9:46 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

Correct. HEAT's auto-bounce angle is 80 degrees, regardless of caliber. without spaced armor, they're all auto-pen

Yes, you definitely want a team of plebs so you can farm all the damage.

Or platoon with a light so he can spot for you and farm that assisted like a boss..

If you get a competent team you may not farm as much as with a team of camping bots.

I hate this tank, so many retards hard fapping around base. Useless for team... 

On 29/4/2017 at 1:57 PM, BlackAdder said:

I hate retards hard fapping around base. Useless for team... 

Ftfy.

Love this tank, sitting at 57% and a rather paltry 1.5k DPG, but ehh siege mode memes are the best. The .01 dispersion means that I can switch targets extremely easily, and 45kph backwards speed means I can pull out of a collapsing flank pretty quickly

So now that this is in the Tech Tree (10900 gold) how decent is it without a skilled crew?

Haven't started either of the Swedish lines, but think the TD one looks interesting, just wondering if this can work with a zero skill crew or if I should pick up the T6 m42 thing and then retrain the crew.

It is in the tech tree?

I am an idiot for buying it :( 

17 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

So now that this is in the Tech Tree (10900 gold) how decent is it without a skilled crew?

Haven't started either of the Swedish lines, but think the TD one looks interesting, just wondering if this can work with a zero skill crew or if I should pick up the T6 m42 thing and then retrain the crew.

Burn some crew xp reserves (or wait for usual crew xp bonus weekends) to  get 6th sense ASAP. The rest will slowly accumulate as you play. This tank can be best tank with a potato crew as accuracy, penetration and gun handling values are excellent.

Apparently, and I say apparently, because there has been no source other than tanks.gg to support or disprove this claim, the S1, alongside the UDES has had their siege mode terrain resistances - and hence traverse speed stealth nerfed. 

This supposedly happened in 9.17.1, when they unified the terrain resistances of Swede TDs in siege mode and travel mode. The UDES and S1 used to have lower terrain resistances in siege than in travel, and so would seem to have been nerfed in that regard.

If that is true, this would make it a stealth nerf to a premium tank. Now, WG has promised not to nerf premiums as a matter of practice, and this would not only be a nerf, but an unannounced one at that.

I myself am in two minds about this. One the one hand I'm glad that WG might finally be committing to properly balancing premium tanks; on the other hand, a stealth nerf is just dishonest business practice, and following the Chrysler fiasco and the Mutant 6 resale, this is bound to kick up some shitstorm, true or not.

Juicy succulent sauce: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/635062-im-done-buying-premium-tanks-and-heres-why-stealth-nerf-of-premium-tanks/

Ok it seems it was all just a false alarm

I am happy to report back that the STRV-1 did not change in any way :)

The explanation why the information displayed on Tanks.gg and in the game files changed is a little complicated.

Basically we have two files for siege mode tanks' stats:

• Stats in siege mode
  • Stats in travel mode

When you enter siege mode the client pulls the new stats from the file, it however only access the data that siege mode actually influences, all other parameters are still taken from the main file. There were some arbitrarily different values in the siege mode file (remnants from tests) that were pulled and displayed by Tanks.gg, but never had any effect in game.

In update 9.19 we removed these superfluous values which caused Tanks.gg to display the correct ones.

For those of you who "felt" that the tank was turning slower, we went back and checked, here is the result:

giphy.gif

We also saw some comments about the transition time from Travel to Siege mode changing, why was this done?

• From the release of Strv S1 in update 9.17.1, the correct time of switching from Travel to Siege mode was 1.3 seconds, but in the Garage we displayed an incorrect time of 1.25 seconds. We decided to fix this discrepancy, but unfortunately did not inform you about it, apologies.
  • This transition time is tracked server-side which lead to the value in the garage being incorrect without being reflected in actual gameplay.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/635062-im-done-buying-premium-tanks-and-heres-why-stealth-nerf-of-premium-tanks/page__st__200__pid__14499479#entry14499479

and before

Hi guys!

Some clarifications regarding this: In order to display the information, we're using the files in the game client, in which we put a number of values that pertain to vehicles.
As you know, in update 9.17 we introduced a new mechanic for some of the Swedish line tanks: Siege Mode. For these tanks, we have created an additional (secondary) file in order to adjust the Siege Mode's settings. The game client uses a number of settings from that file, which are only connected to the Siege Mode. The client uses all other settings - only from the main file.
With the Strv S1, we have put a number of parameters into the secondary file, bearing arbitrary values from the main one - and because these parameters do not influence anything when in the file, we weren't able to quickly remove them from it.
These are the parameters we are talking about: 
Ground Resistance
Braking Power
Hull Rotation Speed

Because of this, third-party services displayed incorrect parameters of the Strv S1 starting with the release of the vehicle in update 9.17.1, which was caused by the aforementioned arbitrary values in the secondary file. That being said, the game client was nevertheless displaying the correct characteristics.
In update 9.19, we have finally removed the troublesome parameters from the secondary file. As a result, third-party applications started correctly displaying the real values.

To conclude, the above parameters of the Strv S1 haven't changed since the release of the vehicle. 
For correct comparison of this vehicle: Compare Siege Mode with Siege Mode values, and Travel Mode with Travel Mode values.  

Regarding the time of switch from Travel to Siege Mode: 
From the release of the vehicle in update 9.17.1, the switch time from Travel to Siege Mode was displayed as 1.25 in the Garage, while you could see a more precise 1.3 while in battle. In update 9.19, we decided to fix this discrepancy, but unfortunately did not inform you about it.

Thanks for being attentive to detail and your prompt feedback! :great:

Cheers :girl:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/635062-im-done-buying-premium-tanks-and-heres-why-stealth-nerf-of-premium-tanks/page__st__180__pid__14497852#entry14497852

I picked this up today because I've enjoyed siege mode in the UDES and 103-0 so far. So far it does not disappoint, and that 0.01 rotation bloom is really nice. I'm running no costly consumables, and it earns pretty well. 

I picked this up without trying the TD line , and..might have made a mistake.

I honestly feel I've had some of the absolute worst teams I've ever seen in about 15/20 games on this, but I'm finding it almost impossible to really influence the outcome of a game.  I don't have full camo crew yet, so seem to get spotted easier than I thought I would, don't have the speed to relocate (or rather, it seems to take forever to get up to speed) if the red team doesn't sit in front of me, and once I fire off a shot or two players seem to avoid the area. (Which is weird, because in my WZ 120TD they seem to take the 440 hit and keep coming)

So far I'm really regretting this, otoh, I can really see how learning to play to this things strengths is going to teach me a lot about maps and positioning that I don't know or pay attention to.

On 27/03/2017 at 2:25 PM, TheMarine0341 said:

The STRV-S1: A Quick Survival Guide

Hello everyone! The latest line of tanks introduced into the game were the new Swedish Tank Destroyers and a line of Medium and Heavy tanks. The heavy tanks are a beast unto themselves, featuring amazing turrets with lackluster guns. The Tank Destroyers introduced a new mechanic call “siege mode” which allows the tier 8, 9 and 10 tanks to do some pretty cool thing with its gun handling. And the Tank Destroyers also feature some impressive guns at tier 8 through 10 with some of the highest base penetration to their standard ammunition in the game for their tier. With the latest patch, WarGaming introduced a premium tank destroyer which acts as a ‘hybrid’ of sorts, combining the tier 8 and 9 tank destroyers into a tank known as the STRV-S1 (or, S1). So, what do you need to know?

How do I play the STRV-S1?

Unlike the tier 8 Udes 03, the S1 has 30mm of armor instead of 20mm. This is a MASSIVE difference! This means that tanks with a gun caliber of 90mm or less need to aim at your weak spots, instead of just aiming at the tank. Further, instead of moving at 5kph while in siege mode as the Udes 03 can, you move at 8kph, which again is a massive difference and adds some flexibility. And, you also gain an ever so slight advantage to your damage per minute.

However, this comes at a cost. You lose 20 kph off your top speed when comparing to the Udes while moving forward, and 5 kph when comparing to moving backwards. You also lose the ability to elevate your gun in a manner that lets you shoot over terrain easily. Acceleration can be a bit harder to come by, so you’ll need to move earlier than you might have considered in the Udes.

The S1 is a pure sniper, but can be more useful in close engagements than the Udes when top tier. The gun’s penetration means very little premium rounds need to be loaded, usually only to help deal with a MAUS or Type 5 Heavy. If you’ve been training your tank in camouflage then you can often fire safely in the open to about 375 meters against everyone but tanks with maximum view range skills IF your crew is trained to 100% camouflage for all crew members.

You thrive in open maps, and do not suffer on those maps even up against tanks two tiers your better as your gun has great penetration and accuracy values. You will suffer somewhat in city engagements, or many of the newer maps which feature only three real fighting paths, as flanking in the top tier Swedish Tank Destroyers are very awkward since it’s hard to fire your gun outside of siege mode. You will also suffer if you’re an impatient player, as this features of the tank are exceptionally punishing if you rush to do anything other than get into your optimal position.

Setting up Your S1

Equipment: Medium Tank Gun Rammer, Binoculars, Camouflage Net. You could also consider running ventilation over a camouflage net, but this will decrease your “safe” firing zone to about 400 meters.
Consumables: Small Medical Pack, Small Repairs Pack, Automatic Extinguisher (Auto Ext). This tank will catch fire to frontal hits. As the Auto Ext decreases your chance of fire by 10%, this is obvious to use. If you wish to “try hard” and run the premium consumable “food,” I would drop the medical pack.

Will It be used in Competitive Play?

I doubt this tank will have great utility apart from training your crew in public battles or random stronghold skirmishes where it can be strong due to random map rotations. However, when the coming map is known the Udes 03 features better mobility and the DPM difference really isn’t noticeable. The German premium tank Destroyer, the Skorpion, features a gun which has better alpha damage, the ability to overmatch many tanks with weak armor, a full turret, and comparable mobility. This tank, the S1, is not a strong contender for Clan Wars-like environments.

Yay, or Nay?

So, should you get it? I would, but only if you’ve already unlocked and elited the Udes 03 and enjoy playing it. It can be an excellent credit maker, and with only 3 crew members your crew will train very quickly.

The crew do train really quickly through the first 2/3 skills.........my crew are at 80% on their 6th skill and I'm telling you, it is brutal trying to get an extra 1-2%, never mind actually finishing the skill! lol

On 10/22/2017 at 9:14 AM, Canadian_Reaper said:

I picked this up without trying the TD line , and..might have made a mistake.

Same boat here.  I utterly lack any ability to influence outcomes in this thing (other than negatively).

15 hours ago, Tanager said:

Same boat here.  I utterly lack any ability to influence outcomes in this thing (other than negatively).

Yep, traded mine in towards a Lowe. (So it was a very expensive Lowe)

Watched a few more replays, style seems to be do nothing, wait to see where the red team is going, go there and shoot them run away or redeploy depending on how it goes.

Style 2 seems to be camp in one spot, completely ignore supporting your team, wait until the red team is over running your team, farm what damage you can while telling them they suck,. I think there has to be more "look at the damage i did but my stupid team lost the match" replays for this tank (or line actually) than any other one in the game.

In either case, line is not for me, just irritated I was stupid enough to put 3 female crew into the line. Ah well, maybe that T6 premium is fun.

11 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

In either case, line is not for me, just irritated I was stupid enough to put 3 female crew into the line. Ah well, maybe that T6 premium is fun.

The 42-57 autoloader?  I can't seem to make it work.  But I don't put much effort into Ikea tanks in any case.  I might yet trade the S1 in for "something," but no idea what that will be.  Already have a Loewe and love it, you made a fine choice. :)

On 3/27/2017 at 8:01 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

Id like to see the Udes get 34mm frontal armor (safe vs 100mm guns), the 103-0 get 41mm armor (safe vs 122mm), and the 103-B get 51mm (safe vs 152mm). 

Right so it would be complete bullshit, and eventually nerfed in some other way, no thanks. 

I got the S1 for free during the halloween event. I think I really like it, bounces more often than the UDES and extra DPM is nice. Camo seems the same. When I platoon with a friend in his UDES, I seem to do a bit better even though he has more games in it and we are of equal skill in terms of numbers. 

At 64% wr, and it makes great money since you never fire prems. May be my new favorite money maker after sLowe. The novelty of the siege mode hasn't worn off yet. Plus my shitty crew is going to be legit for the 103. I recommend it for anyone who plans to grind the Swede TDs. Not sure what it costs in the store though...