LivingH2O

I am in need of some help

7 posts in this topic

*Disclaimer*  I know that this is probably not the place for this, but I am not sure where else to put it; feel free to move to wherever it needs to go.

I have come to a point in my tanking career that no matter what I do, watch, or read, I can not improve. I began this game 6 years as everyone else, a pubbie. Over the years I have learned a lot of stuff from a lot of people. I have seen a lot of replays. I have read a lot of guides and technique improvement series in order to be the best player I can be, but I have plateaued. Currently I am sitting at almost 1800 overall/ almost 2400 recent.

I have made the climb from about 800 WN8, back when tank companies and T-50s were great for WN8, to where I am now. I know that anything less than purple in this game by now is really not good in the least. Some days I will have 3.5k WN8, some days I will peak at 2.5k, and some I will peak at 1.5k no matter what I do. I play mostly tens, primarily mediums and heavies. Because of the many guides here, my map awareness and situational awareness has improved drastically, to which I can not thank this website and contributors enough. These guides really do help if one sits down to read them.

I say that to say this, I am looking to see if there is a unicum or unicums out there that will daily, bi-daily, or weekly sit down with me for a few hours and platoon with me to show me what I am doing wrong and what to do in order to improve, whether it be early/ mid/ late game positioning, map awareness, situational awareness, shooting the correct targets or a combination. I know that doing a charity work like this is probably laughed at by most people here, but I am really looking to see if there is someone that will help me. I have a thick skin, I can take criticism of all sorts. Currently I am mostly playing tanks like the batchat, 140, E100, E4, 50B, and Maus. I would prefer to learn how to be a proper 140 or batchat driver if possible. I am free every night of the week (unless something comes up) after 10pm and can play until whenever. I have a TS3 server we can use, as well as slack to communicate if needed.

My goal right now is to break purple recent. Once I do that, I will be looking to break 3k recent and continue to go as high as my newly learned skills can take me.

I am not asking for a babysitter. In my opinion (which may certainly be invalid) I have the full knowledge of the basic game mechanics. I can sometimes hold my own when I am lucky (Have had a few 4k days when I am on top of my game) I always try to excel at everything that I do. I have been improving since I touched this game in beta. I am just looking to see if someone will continue to help me do just that.

If you feel like doing work for charity and helping me, feel free to pm me here, or leave your in game name so I can contact you.

Thank you.

I can't really give any tutoring but I do have a few opinions to try and give out like unwanted puppies.

First and simplest one is to not hunt wn8. Go for win rate 100%. If you find how to win games, that is going to end up including high damage output but high damage output (or wn8) doesn't necessarily pull in wins.

As for breaking the plateau, I'd say to stop playing the game for atleast a week (or however long it takes to get a bit rusty) and then come back and start playing whatever kind of tank you are least experienced and least comfortable with. Going off what you listed, I would say try playing the french TDs (or the church GC) or whatever the shittyest light tanks in the game are right now, something that is going to absolutely abuse the hell out of you if you try to play it like your regular tanks. The point of it being to force you to learn a new playstyle and add some more tools to your kit.

Just my two sense, obviously having someone point exactly what you are doing wrong each time would be a lot easier but I'm personally more fond of trying to break down walls using my face :fish:

5 hours ago, zapyoug said:

I can't really give any tutoring but I do have a few opinions to try and give out like unwanted puppies.

First and simplest one is to not hunt wn8. Go for win rate 100%. If you find how to win games, that is going to end up including high damage output but high damage output (or wn8) doesn't necessarily pull in wins.

As for breaking the plateau, I'd say to stop playing the game for atleast a week (or however long it takes to get a bit rusty) and then come back and start playing whatever kind of tank you are least experienced and least comfortable with. Going off what you listed, I would say try playing the french TDs (or the church GC) or whatever the shittyest light tanks in the game are right now, something that is going to absolutely abuse the hell out of you if you try to play it like your regular tanks. The point of it being to force you to learn a new playstyle and add some more tools to your kit.

Just my two sense, obviously having someone point exactly what you are doing wrong each time would be a lot easier but I'm personally more fond of trying to break down walls using my face :fish:

Thank you, I really appreciate this. I will certainly give all of this a shot.

12 hours ago, zapyoug said:

Might grind a church gc out after exams then :)

If your recent stats are around 2.4k wn8 thats pretty decent. Why dont you try enter a clan that claims at least deep teal as yurself
to be considered as clanmember? There you will probably be scrutinized by better players who will take you out for a spin.
You will get a lot of what you ask for with some luck and the clan will feel they gain smth also.
You ask a lot without really contributing much in return. Most super-unis have their agenda pretty much filled
and cant waist a lot of their time.
You could also try to be a bit more specific..
Are you teal at all the mentioned tanks or do you heavy better, pretty shit at bchatting etc?
This 'SUPER UNI'S HELP HELP approach' isnt very constructive

8 hours ago, ProxyCentauri said:

If your recent stats are around 2.4k wn8 thats pretty decent. Why dont you try enter a clan that claims at least deep teal as yurself
to be considered as clanmember? There you will probably be scrutinized by better players who will take you out for a spin.
You will get a lot of what you ask for with some luck and the clan will feel they gain smth also.
You ask a lot without really contributing much in return. Most super-unis have their agenda pretty much filled
and cant waist a lot of their time.
You could also try to be a bit more specific..
Are you teal at all the mentioned tanks or do you heavy better, pretty shit at bchatting etc?
This 'SUPER UNI'S HELP HELP approach' isnt very constructive

Im a solid heavy player, but am really bad at the batchat.

ZapYoug gave some good & solid advice, albeit I wouldn't go so masochistic.

My toned-down advice would be to play tanks outside your comfort zone. This can teach you skills that you have neglected or aren't even aware off when playing your regular tanks. You mentioned you are a solid heavy player? Could be neat to invest in a t-34-85, Cromwell, Stug III G, Strv 74 or something else that's frail, mobile & a has a good gun, as they will help you teach about the game more

I'm a heavy tank driver myself, of the armored variant. Yet at some point I did feel similar to you, at a plateau, unable to improve much; To combat this, I decided to get some soft & mobile tanks & try to do decent in them. So far it's working out, albeit my love for heavy armor stays. The fun thing is that the stuff I learn in these nimble tanks also carry over to my heavies, but moire as a way to counter them / learn better map knowledge to (ab)use

Last but not least, don't chase WN8, especially not as a heavy tank driver. It's a rating heavy focused on damage (which in itself is fine, as ultimately, the team that does most damage generally tends to win too in almost all cases). But like lights, heavy tanks have a few tricks up their sleeve that isn't tracked by WN8, mainly their unwillingness to die easy compared to other classes.

Above is reflected in my WR/WN8 discrepancy, something I always had, WR being ahead of the WN8 curve. My damage-dealing ways can still improve vastly, but I made 'Not Dying' a hallmark of my playstyle (and no not by camping, you'll usually find me in the frontline, being hard to kill)

A common mistake I see heavies do often is being too conservative in their HP in the early game. Don't, the early game is where heavy tanks shine, so many targets & you got the armor & HP to take some damage for a big return. Be conservative in the endgame, because that's the domain of meds & lights, but at times, they might need a big slow distraction like you to make their magic work on the enemy.

Note, I'm no unicum & hence I won't advice on anything outside (armored) heavies, as my knowledge severely lacks beyond them. I'm just a weird tanker that made being a meatshield into a WoT career choice. 

Oh, and you can watch replays/youtube vids of your favorite tanks too if you want to improve in those as well, certainly helped me to get better. I know you're blue & better at me at the whole damage dealing part, but observing replays/youtube stuff can help you show how to improve stuff on the 'win games' side of the deal as it's more then merely dish out most damage.