Sign in to follow this  
Canadian_Reaper

Medium line tanks worth playing/skipping before T8?

30 posts in this topic

Hey all

So finally have decided that the STB is simply to cool looking to not be in my garage, so it's time to go up the Japanese medium line.

Have a potential female crew, so I'm not as worried about that (just trying to decide to use them for this line or the Leopard 1)

Just curious if any of the t4-7 tanks are actually worth playing, they look.terrible but I'm an an average player, so entirely possible I'm missing something.

Trying to decide if I should free XP to T8 or play the line, or if there's some worth playing, and others to just free XP past.

Looked through some of the reviews, but most comments are a couple years and more than a few updates ago, so not sure how relevant they are in the current meta. 

Thanks as always for any input

I ground through them a while ago, but didn't find them unbearable.  The Tier VII is the slowest, per the norm, though the 3 round clip makes for great fun...  Just requires a lot of prem AP.

56 minutes ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Have a potential female crew, so I'm not as worried about that (just trying to decide to use them for this line or the Leopard 1)

Put it in the stb1- it needs good crew and is far better than the lep 1 with good crew, as well as actually having some used in comps and cws

I can't type rip

*used*

How much is free xp worth to you? You can grind the tier 6 out in stronks if needed. It's not that great but it's doable. The chi-ri although annoying, can actually do something because the autoloader, when you pen is not that bad. However the tank is probably going to be shit since I haven't played it since the introduction of all the super heavies. I'm currently at the tier 8, and I'm enjoying it, but you have to like 240 alpha mediums. I haven't gotten to the tier 9, so I don't know about that one. 

Tier 4 is simply a bad tier to be in; due to all the t5 seal clubbers that eat you like nothing.

Tier 5 is mostly decent, except for the poor dpm that lets you down. It certainly doesn't have the oomph of OI Exp/KV-1 or sherman/pz4.

Tier 6 is one of the worst tier 6s; having mobility that makes a T-150 or KV-2 look good. It is a wanabe Heavy Tank that can bounce low tiers, but carrying a pea shooter gun.

Tier 7 is a unique tank that performs based on how much gold you are willing to spam. With pure gold ammo usage, it is pretty godly when not bottom tier; with high dpm, accuracy, effective alpha*, -10 depression, gun handling, and decent shell velocity. Down side is the penetration, your gold ammo being too weak against tier 9s and many tier 8 heavies. If you are unwilling to use much gold ammo, expect to have a miserable time except when top tier.

*Regarding the alpha.. 130 per shot, 3 shots in the clip. Due to just 1s intra drum and extremely low bloom/aim time, you can unload the entire clip of 390 into someone before an IS even aim half way. Fully reloading a clip take about the same time as loading a single shell on a T20.

Tier 6 was pretty decent but its one of the shittier tier 6s having been neglected by WG. Its a decent support medium but the meta isn't good for support meds. Gun handles pretty good at the very least. 

Skipable but its not terrible so its also playable.

Tier 7 is useless in tier 9, kinda ok maybe in tier 8 and a beast in tier 7. Its gigantic and doesn't really have armour but the 3 shot autoloader makes it quite fun to play honestly. Free exp modules on that but play it since it is rather unique. Its also not as slow as a building although it looks like one. Does some decent enough speed and is at the very least, mobile. 

i'd recommend the Ke-Ho rather than then the Chi-He, at tier IV.
the Ke-Ho has a fairly competitive 47mm gun, is among the few tier IV light tanks without scout matchmaking (similar to Valentine, i believe). It's a dinky, agile and sneaky tank, but you may need to carry more premium AP nowadays

Chi-Nu is second-line sniper medium, w/o any armor. Nothing noteworthy about this. Its a tier V after-all.

at tier VI, the Chi-to is fairly the same as Chi-Nu, but bulkier. And it continues to trade the armor for agility and dank gun handling with the 75mm gun.
Some exemplary examples of what you can do with a Chi-to:

Tier VII Chi-Ri is OP.
nuff said

Tier VIII on the STA-1, prepare for a fairly painfully slow grind. this is the first post-WW2 Japanese tank, so no modules carry over. this is where you may want to spend the free EXP. once fully kitted out, its a pretty great tank. Fairly low profile (thus good camo), with good gun handling and accuracy and fairly mobile too. But again, no armor, but the gun mantlet is troll as hell.

STA-2 can be considered, if you want practically a premium STA-1 that earns credits. The slight height difference is negligible, rather allows you to fire over certain covers

5 and 6 are meh, but playable. Chi-Ri is pure ebola, Speed of a somewhat mobily heavy (IS-2 levels), size of a superheavy with zero armor, shit pen, expensive gold ammo with still shit pen and it is in the tier that got screwed the hardest by powercreep. Sure, it might be unique when top tier, but you can go straight back to garage when not. If you enjoy the playstyle the Skoda T 25 has double the speed and only a slightly worse gun a full tier lower.

Also, beware of the Chi-To engine trap, no matter what you do, you have to free XP that engine, unless you enjoy running around with 25kph top speed.

I stopped the line at Chi-To because it seemed as a very meh tank, and after the tier V (tier IV ke-ho was actually very fun to play) I had had enough of meh tanks for a while. But seeing as people here think it has some redeeming characteristics to it, I may give it a try.

21 minutes ago, CAPIRAGE said:

I stopped the line at Chi-To because it seemed as a very meh tank, and after the tier V (tier IV ke-ho was actually very fun to play) I had had enough of meh tanks for a while. But seeing as people here think it has some redeeming characteristics to it, I may give it a try.

briefest summary

Ke-Ho: kawaii dinky tonk!

Chi-Nu: meh

Chi-To: meh

Chi-Ri: OP :kappa:

I don't see point of skipping tier 6 or tier 7 tanks. Both are playable and you have to play like 40-60 games per tank (I played with VERY ghetto crew) to get past them, even less with boosters and platooning. Chi-Ri is also kind of unique tank, which makes it at least interesting.

I'm a massive Chi He fan, with it's awesome gun depression and the Experimental gun. Reload is terrific and 131 pen with gold means I'm happy to wreck tier 6's. Always makes me smile when I play it. Great fun.

54 minutes ago, SuperTheBoss said:

I've liked every tank in this line except the Chi-Ri which is the only tank I have ever completely freeXP'd past.

then you missed out on how OP it is.

or was.

back in 2014.

12 hours ago, Steel_Butt said:

I'm a massive Chi He fan, with it's awesome gun depression and the Experimental gun. Reload is terrific and 131 pen with gold means I'm happy to wreck tier 6's. Always makes me smile when I play it. Great fun.

Definitely one of the best tier IVs in the game atm, really underrated. I'm at the Chi-Nu and it's... a slow paper med, but it has insane gun depression and a decent gun which is all you need to get through a tier V grind.

What you could do is to send the radioman to heavies later. If you already have a radioman from heavies, you can just steal him temporarily.

On 30.03.2017 at 1:59 AM, Antimeridian said:

Definitely one of the best tier IVs in the game atm, really underrated. I'm at the Chi-Nu and it's... a slow paper med, but it has insane gun depression and a decent gun which is all you need to get through a tier V grind.

I hated the t5. I was just a bit too slow, reloaded a bit too slow, was a bit too paper. It just felt very uncomfortable to play but I'm a strange person and I like the Chi-ri and I do good in it. 

On 3/29/2017 at 7:59 PM, Antimeridian said:

I really enjoyed the Chi He, aced it multiple times, excellent sprem round, good gun handling and reload.  It's tier 4, sure, but it's IMHO one of the more playable tier 4s.

4 hours ago, Tanager said:

I really enjoyed the Chi He, aced it multiple times, excellent sprem round, good gun handling and reload.  It's tier 4, sure, but it's IMHO one of the more playable tier 4s.

IMO the Ke-Ho is a straight upgrade in most relevant metrics. The Chi He isnt bad however

On 2017-3-30 at 5:03 PM, Canadian_Reaper said:

Thanks all!

Looks like I might play a few of them at least to simply see how they are.

Just wish they all used 4 man crew rather than the 5-4 switch at T8.

BIA and SIA are compatible with each other next patch. Yay for co-ed senshado.

Whoever you nominate as the 5th Crew/Radioman will be living the harem life.

On 3/29/2017 at 3:22 AM, ThomChen114 said:

briefest summary

Ke-Ho: kawaii dinky tonk!

Chi-Nu: meh

Chi-To: meh

Chi-Ri: OP :kappa:

My daughter tries to explain "kawaii" to me. And, yes, the ke-ho seems super kawaii. A stealth gem that has a good combination of dpm, depression, mobility, and view/camo. 

Ke-Ho is better than Chi-He in gun handling (and perhaps camo) if you check the stat in tank gg, but its front armor was so bad that any non-autocannon HE shell will do full damage to you, same as its side and rear. While Chi-He have 50 mm front armor, which, while isn't that much better, still protect you from getting derp somewhat.

The difference is quite big; as 75 mm gun can 2 shots Ke-Ho with HE compared to 4 shots when using 75 mm AP on average. But not many people exploit it though. Oh, and don't forget SPG too, despite the rework, Ke-Ho will still get one-shot by them because of this cardboard armor.

This's not to say that Ke-Ho is bad though, just that it has quite high learning curve to use it well.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:53 PM, thepingman said:

Ke-Ho is better than Chi-He in gun handling (and perhaps camo) if you check the stat in tank gg, but its front armor was so bad that any non-autocannon HE shell will do full damage to you, same as its side and rear. While Chi-He have 50 mm front armor, which, while isn't that much better, still protect you from getting derp somewhat.

The difference is quite big; as 75 mm gun can 2 shots Ke-Ho with HE compared to 4 shots when using 75 mm AP on average. But not many people exploit it though. Oh, and don't forget SPG too, despite the rework, Ke-Ho will still get one-shot by them because of this cardboard armor.

This's not to say that Ke-Ho is bad though, just that it has quite high learning curve to use it well.

the Ke-Ho IMO has a better carry potential than the Chi-He

either way, the Chi-He may have thicker layers of Nori for armor, but it's still Nori.

Sign in to follow this