Tankthief

New arty system deadlier than ever?

74 posts in this topic

I have seem some test server streams, and i saw a trend on them. Players with low HP dying constantly to arty due to its huge splash damage.

Small houses can not offer you protection anymore. 

I sense that arties can cause even bigger impact in games now because finishing off enemies will be much easier, you just need to land a shot 10m away.

Also. If i get low hp in the beginning with 2-3 arties in game (like 90% of the games) will i have to go full camp mode in the back of the map? 

I think it will be less frustrating for both arty players as well as their targets but arty will be even more annoying to play against. I kinda like it. It's not a useless grief machine anymore, it's relatively reliable support. 

My Sheridan was direct hit by a batchat58 3x and I was still alive.

update: amx13 105 direct hit by obj261 for 312 damage,

deadlier than ever? Don't make me laugh

Getting hit in a 50B still hurts a lot and seems a bit more common, the improved aimtime/accuracy means that arty can regularly hit squishy tanks. It's certainly better than what we had before though. I really like the idea of reusable consumables, even if you use a Repair kit multiple times per battle you only get charged for the use of one. The little green blips when a consumable is recharged is annoying though...

23 minutes ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

Sheridan has spaced armor box so it's almost immune to HE pen (except normal turret). 

4 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

Sheridan has spaced armor box so it's almost immune to HE pen (except normal turret). 

well aware. However the spaced armor only works against he pens, beyond that its taking the same splash damage as any other LT. Also had a t92 hit directly underneath me for 400. Would have been 1k prior to changes

Depends on what tank you play

Light are kinda mixed. Current arty when hit was very likely to oneshot light and it dealt massive damage even from splash. Stun hurts lights more than other classes and tracking is annoying, but thats how it is. Atleast they wont get oneshotted anymore

Meds were also prone to get oneshotted, but considering lowered pen they wont get penned nearly as much and they generally take much less damage. Stun is crippling but overall it doesnt hurt meds as much.

Heavies definitely rather wants this arty over current arty. Superheavies used to be arty magnets but tables have swapped; now they laugh at arty and are most unviable targets generally because LOL STRONK T92 DOING LESS THAN 400 TO MAUS

Lets not forget something. Why shitters play arty? Because it can click and oneshot. Current arty wont oneshot and it doesnt have cancer AP shells so less fun. This should mean general reduction of arty popularity. If anything only reason people will be playing arta is missions

And after playing live server today i must say that fuck off everyone who says that current arty is better, mmm its so fun to lose 2/3 of your health from fucking non HE pens

I don't see a problem here. It's a step in the direction of how AW arty was, and that was NEVER an issue to me in 2k random games. If you're low hp you need to be careful anyway, and in the current version you would either be dead already because arty hit for more or the arty would hit you anyway. The chance that you are in the small area that doesn't get splashed nowadays and take enough damage die is pretty damn small. The only thing that kinda annoys me is that the minimum stun time is so high even if you don't even take any actual damage.

1 hour ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

pretty much.  Arty oneshots are gone, but now they debuff and can splash through cover.  actually better for digging out camps (though they may need to up the damage slightly IMO for it), won't snap your LT/med for all its HP in TD mode anymore.

EDIT:  though IMO, they will need to change how HE works vs armor for these changes to work.  German/Japanese boxes with superheavy spall liners can basically become immune to any arty that isn't the T92/CGC (and even then, they won't do much damage to it).  Currently on live, superheavy spall liner on a german superheavy box can reduce the damage it takes from 1250dmg HE by almost all (I've taken my maus to the middle of prok and had the enemy bat arty give up shooting at me because it did max 800 damage in 8 shots).

5 minutes ago, Tedster59 said:

pretty much.  Arty oneshots are gone, but now they debuff and can splash through cover.  actually better for digging out camps (though they may need to up the damage slightly IMO for it), won't snap your LT/med for all its HP in TD mode anymore.

The debuff doesn't even feel that bad tbh. Its like playing with a 50% crew, sucks but manageable. Feels better than playing with a dead crew member.

1 minute ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

The debuff doesn't even feel that bad tbh. Its like playing with a 50% crew, sucks but manageable. Feels better than playing with a dead crew member.

yep, what I've been saying to all the people who haven't actually played sandbox/test

BTW, don't know if anyone noticed this yet, but on top of the other changes the damage to modules got slashed in half across the board, let's hope that reduces the module rape aswell.

Arty now is balanced and works as a support class not a shit rng slotmachine that deals damage destroying you. It is way better. I dont know how different it is from sandbox but it is way better than live just annoying. I think people will stop playing arty finally so fuck them. Also finally WG can work again on maps making them more open since people will not complain about getting destroyed on open maps. Now Prok pushes will work regardless of arty's presence in the game or not. 

Posted (edited)

Arty sucks. The splash is huge. I got two tanks in one shot and wasn't even close to them. I wasn't even trying to hit anyone on purpose and still did a good amount of damage off the splash. Once arty players figure that out, it will go back to the same BS. Remove arty from the game please.

Edited by avandelay
Engrish hard

I just realized something, with the huge splash radius - arty blind shots to reset cap will be pretty OP now.

4 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

I just realized something, with the huge splash radius - arty blind shots to reset cap will be pretty OP now.

Yup. It is a broken mechanism that cannot be fixed and needs to be removed. Otherwise it is a good patch.

6 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

I got hit for ~970 by a T92 in the 13 105. It definitely still happens.

12 minutes ago, ZXrage said:

I got hit for ~970 by a T92 in the 13 105. It definitely still happens.

yeah, it full pen'd you and low rolled pretty hard. But still, a T92 penetrated your LT and didn't one shot you. I'd call that a major improvement.

I haven't played the test yet guess ill install it tonight and give some feed back seeing as i know a tiny bit about arty ;)

Deadlier? Far from it.

Only absolute papertanks (i.e Grille, Skorpion) kindoff suffer from the changes because even with the nerfed penetration they can still get penned while the new arty get better accuracy all across the board.

Type 5 heavies and Maus have practically become immune to anything that isn´t the CGC or the T92 and the stunmechanic is both shitty to play with and against since it basically forces you to keep shooting the same target over and over again, otherwise you will just end up stunning targets who don´t have their first aid kit on cooldown (arty completly fails as a supportclass because of this since your cant even time your pushes based on when the enemy is stunned because he can always use his first aid kit when it is inconvenient...)

They should put the splash radius back to live size or revert aimtime and accuracy. Yes lowered damage is an improvement, no they didn't need compensation. This is also a ploy to get everyone to run all large and rep med kits at all times because they're 5x more valuable. I can't believe with the option of arty removal on the table, these kinds of replys exist. Its still an asymmetrical non retaliable damage source with orbital view, removal of the most egregious parts doesn't validate the rest.

Havent played test server, but sounds like sandbox arty from last summer, and that was GOOD!!

took 3 arty shots in the face in my leopard, and just killed 3 russian arty scumbags in return, 3 mauses pushing in the open, 4 arty bombing them, and nothing (xaxaxaxa)

And thats how it should be, a maus should be unkillable 1vs1 by anything, BUT should be toast 1vs2 or 1vs3, the whole ``goal`` should be:

• Enemy kills support, and leaves maus till the last
  • Maus-team tries to keep maus alive
  • Maus tries to keep hes team alive

If red arty insist of killing the maus first (like they do on live currently) they deserve to loose, they should LEARN that the maus is not target #1, but instead, target #15, only when their team is fighting said maus, they should bomb him, to detrack him and stun him, so hes TEAM has it easier, otherwise ignore.

ps: the same for tanks, before maus buffs, anyone and anything would target maus first, which is retarded, since the maus was the hardest to kill and the least dangerous damage wise, making the maus the most NOT important target there is, even tier 8 tanks are more important target wise as the fucking maus...

(and arty beiing good at reseting cap is also good, capping is a shit mechanic, arty beiing able to reset it easier might reduce the amount of cap fast shit games)

33 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

They should put the splash radius back to live size or revert aimtime and accuracy. Yes lowered damage is an improvement, no they didn't need compensation. This is also a ploy to get everyone to run all large and rep med kits at all times because they're 5x more valuable. I can't believe with the option of arty removal on the table, these kinds of replys exist. Its still an asymmetrical non retaliable damage source with orbital view, removal of the most egregious parts doesn't validate the rest.

This thought came across my head as I was loading a premium medkit in CT. They're getting us to spend more money on premium consumables by giving arty an annoying as fuck stun effect with a large splash radius.

More splash>higher chance of stun>more reason to pick up a premium medkit because the 90 secs of the regular one is too long, but that's just a tinfoil hat theory :doge:

Honestly they should just buff the regular kits to 60 secs and the premium kits to 45 secs.

The only problem I have with it now is that the splash is stupid big for the tier 10 arties. It completely negates trying to hide behind houses when you can still get splashed from around the corner and stunned. It is not as deadly  as before but will still be toxic, especially now that some mouth breather has the chance to stun you the entire game. Atleast the consumables are multi-use but I fear this may be negated by multiple arty, or worse, multiple platooned arty. 

There is an other aspect of the arty splash. With the bigger splash they can reset the cap much more easily. So if an arty runs away, and there is not much time left the slow tanks can't hunt him, and they can't cap either(or at least it is much more risky). I think this is a very toxic mechanic. In the current game in that situation arty should lose 9 out of 10 times, but with the bigger splash I am not sure if this is still true.