Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psycodiver

High tier USN BB build?

20 posts in this topic

I'm not completely happy with my current captain and ship build with my NC. I've owned her for like a year but only recently started seriously playing her. The problem is I don't think she is set up the best. Captain currently is at 11 points not to far from 12, skills are Direction Center, High Alert, BFT and AFT and I was planning on adding AR once I hit 12 points. For modules I'm running MAM1, AA Mod, DCS1, Steering Gears mod, and Concealment mod, naturally I'm running premium consumables.

In high tier battles I'm finding I'm on fire allot so I thought about swapping Steering mod for DCS2 mod and swapping my skills to BoS and Fire Prevention although Concealment might be a good idea also. I'm not sure if I want to give up on AA though, had a tier 10 match with a carrier and it was nice to be able to defend myself. I'm a fairly aggressive player and tend to put myself in the 10-15km engagement zone

This captain will go into a Iowa eventually and finally Montana if I decide to go that far

You pretty much have two options with a tier nine and ten American battleship build. You can go the concealment build or the AA build. Personally I do the concealment build on my Missouri but AA build on my Montana. As for upgrades I always run both Damage Control System mods on all battleships as well as Concealment System.

Montana

Level one: Direction Center for Catapult Fighter

Level two: Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush

Level three: Superintendent, Basic Firing Training

Level four: Advanced Firing Training, Manual Fire Control for AA Armament

Missouri

Level one: Expert Loader (simply because of the 75% you get with Steven Seagal captain)

Level four: Advanced Firing Training, Concealment Expert

1 hour ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

You pretty much have two options with a tier nine and ten American battleship build. You can go the concealment build or the AA build. Personally I do the concealment build on my Missouri but AA build on my Montana. As for upgrades I always run both Damage Control System mods on all battleships as well as Concealment System.

Montana

Level one: Direction Center for Catapult Fighter

Level four: Advanced Firing Training, Manual Fire Control for AA Armament

Missouri

Level one: Expert Loader (simply because of the 75% you get with Steven Seagal captain)

Level four: Advanced Firing Training, Concealment Expert

Why did you choose to go with the AA build on the Monty? Do you think there are enough Carriers in tier 10 games for it to be worth while?

29 minutes ago, How_Terrible said:

Why did you choose to go with the AA build on the Monty? Do you think there are enough Carriers in tier 10 games for it to be worth while?

Perhaps not, you do tend to see more tier nine carriers it seems like than tier ten, but I'm OCD and if I'm not using concealment on my Yamato or Kurfurst I'm not using it on the Montana either. If I'm maxing my secondaries on those two, one of their biggest strengths, then I'm maxing the AA on my Montana, it's biggest strength. A concealment build on the Montana only gets it down to 13.5 or 13.6 or something like that, not quite enough for me to see it being worthwhile. The 12.2 on the Missouri is pretty nice though, so I do it on that. Kind of fun to have different builds on US battleships anyway, for variety sake.

4 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Perhaps not, you do tend to see more tier nine carriers it seems like than tier ten, but I'm OCD and if I'm not using concealment on my Yamato or Kurfurst I'm not using it on the Montana either. If I'm maxing my secondaries on those two, one of their biggest strengths, then I'm maxing the AA on my Montana, it's biggest strength. A concealment build on the Montana only gets it down to 13.5 or 13.6 or something like that, not quite enough for me to see it being worthwhile. The 12.2 on the Missouri is pretty nice though, so I do it on that. Kind of fun to have different builds on US battleships anyway, for variety sake.

Concealment is a pretty big strength on the Montana too bear in mind. It lets you do some hilariously shady stuff like outspotting Moskvas. Although I use concealment on my Yamato because Yamato+Omni tag = constant focus fire that even Yamato can't keep up with.

I run (on both my Montana and Iowa):

Direction Center

Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush

BFT, Superintendent

AFT, Concealment Expert

The AA is still potent enough to matter, and I'm rarely solo at tier 10 these days anyway so I usually have a Defensive Fire nearby.  I find the 13.4km detection to be useful often enough to be worth it.

I've had success with a tanking build on the bow on ships (Iowa, NC, MO) although I currently use a concealment/AA build on them. Also the tanking build isn't as good on the Montana. The tanking build captain needs High Alert, Jack of all Trades, Super Intedent, and basics of survivability. You will also need the damage control modules and reduced fire/flooding module. This build is very effective at setting up at a key point and denying enemy advancement into a cap.

One great thing about USN BB's is that you can basically make an AA/concealment build which takes the best of both builds. The only thing you have to leave out is manual AA, which isn't huge since most of you AA fire per is in the mid and short range guns. This is my personal recommendation, but for competitive play the tank build is also good.

I find the concealment/AA build works well on the NC.

Can confirm Concealment + AA is the best. I also suggest accuracy mod on Iowa and Montana rather than ROF mod.

One more comment, I'm not sold on BFT as a level three skill since the patch changing the skills. As a level two skill it was a no brainier to have, but at level three there are other important skills like Super Intendant and Basics of Survivability. With the AA already being good on USN BB'S I generally prefer BOS over BFT. 

Ok this is obviously a noob question, but what's with the bft and aft skills in a battleship? Why take bft (that only benefits <130mm guns) over something like survivability or superintendant or vigilance? Or even manual aa?

My highest BB is my Bismarck and I can't see the benefit of investing 7 points just to buff half my secondaries (she has 105s and 150s).

6 hours ago, MntRunner said:

One more comment, I'm not sold on BFT as a level three skill since the patch changing the skills. As a level two skill it was a no brainier to have, but at level three there are other important skills like Super Intendant and Basics of Survivability. With the AA already being good on USN BB'S I generally prefer BOS over BFT. 

BFT was never a two-pointer, it was a single point.  As part of moving it to three points, they also buffed it to add a 20% AA boost.  If you're going to build around AA at all, that's a pretty significant bonus.

54 minutes ago, Manic_Wombat said:

Ok this is obviously a noob question, but what's with the bft and aft skills in a battleship? Why take bft (that only benefits <130mm guns) over something like survivability or superintendant or vigilance? Or even manual aa?

My highest BB is my Bismarck and I can't see the benefit of investing 7 points just to buff half my secondaries (she has 105s and 150s).

BFT and AFT affect all secondary guns.  The 139mm portion is describing only main battery.  Since these skills benefit both secondaries and AA, they're universally useful for battleships unless you really want to specialize in something else.

59 minutes ago, Mesrith said:

BFT was never a two-pointer, it was a single point.  As part of moving it to three points, they also buffed it to add a 20% AA boost.  If you're going to build around AA at all, that's a pretty significant bonus.

BFT and AFT affect all secondary guns.  The 139mm portion is describing only main battery.  Since these skills benefit both secondaries and AA, they're universally useful for battleships unless you really want to specialize in something else.

I misspoke, it was a level one skill. However my point about BFT is still the same, that there are other level three skills that are equally as useful to a BB. A 15% reduction in fire and flooding time  and getting one extra heal are just as significant if not more significant. All three of the skills help you tank or minimise damage to a BB, but I feel I get more out of BOS since I'm more likely to be set on fire each match than I am to see a CV. Plus USN AA is pretty darn good without BFT, it may not we our a while squadron without BFT but it still does enough to significantly reduce the CV damage potential.

Since the update at tier 8+ gameplay, I've noticed a  tendency for CVs to try and hit targets with everything at once with TBs and DBs almost simultaneously.  This seemed to overwhelm the AA and spread the damage around.  Luckily I slowed down in my Bismarck and let the 2 "Bamas I was in a division with provide some really good defensive AA fire, but if that trend of massed air attacks continues is MFCAA really useful when attacked by 3 to 6 air squadrons?

On my Iowa/Missouri captain 19 pt

Below is what I currently run, the only thing I would consider changing would be to drop High Alert and BFT to grab Concealment Expert and either Expert Loader or Priority Target.

1 Preventative Maintenance

2 Expert Marksman, High Alert

3 Superintendent, Basic Firing Training

4 Fire Prevention, Advanced Firing Training

Consider this if you have your main guns range buffed out to max - CE with max gun range is kind of a waste of 4 points that could be used elsewhere to better effect

1 hour ago, MntRunner said:

I misspoke, it was a level one skill. However my point about BFT is still the same, that there are other level three skills that are equally as useful to a BB. A 15% reduction in fire and flooding time  and getting one extra heal are just as significant if not more significant. All three of the skills help you tank or minimise damage to a BB, but I feel I get more out of BOS since I'm more likely to be set on fire each match than I am to see a CV. Plus USN AA is pretty darn good without BFT, it may not we our a while squadron without BFT but it still does enough to significantly reduce the CV damage potential.

For most players, including myself, 15% reduction in fire time, flooding, etc. is not worth it if it's going to cost three points. It was worth it on battleships before the skill changes, not so much now. And most of us take both BFT and Superintendent so I don't know why you're trying to argue Superintendent over BFT when you can, and probably should, do both. BFT is so useful with the big time buff to AA and decreasing the reload of your secondaries.

I don't see the point of Superintendent anymore, I used to swear by it but I rarely ever needed the extra heal, especially since I stopped being cheap and run premium consumables in everything (hell on a bad game in my NC I break even or barely lose money). By the looks of things I'm on the right path for skills at least

20 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

I don't see the point of Superintendent anymore, I used to swear by it but I rarely ever needed the extra heal, especially since I stopped being cheap and run premium consumables in everything (hell on a bad game in my NC I break even or barely lose money). By the looks of things I'm on the right path for skills at least

Having the extra heal gives you more carrying potential late in games.  I find that extremely valuable.

1 hour ago, MntRunner said:

A 15% reduction in fire and flooding time  and getting one extra heal are just as significant if not more significant.

SI is fine, I use it on all of my battleships.  Stop and give BoS some more analysis.  When does it help you?

One fire?  You shouldn't care, it's healing back with Repair Party and being ignored.

Two or more fires?  Here's where you use Damage Control.

Two or more fires but DC is on cooldown?  You've screwed up and you're probably in deep.  Things like Superintendent will help you recover.

Flooding, with no damage control?  Same as above.

BoS is a mistake mitigation tool.  It does little to diminish what I would call general battle damage.  The fewer mistakes you make, the less it helps you.  On top of that, I'd suggest that using the signal flags that decrease fire and flooding duration is typically enough.

IMO the two point investment in High Alert or JOAT is more useful than BoS now due the reduced time between damacon and heal. I have both on my tournament BBs.

Any ship with a heal should have superintendent. There's usually 1 game per session that I've been able to win because of the extra heal.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0