hall0

Frontline Gamemode

54 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Have in mind new maps will be MUCH MUCH larger. That will mean a smaller chance of a 80% + of the team going one way. Also unless they corridor the shit out of them you should not be able to come from predictable places so you should be safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_a4bhcUQ8

Seeing video, typical area of fight at the start of the match is like 1km x 3km so about three times larger than wot normal mode maps... but there is also twice number of players + unusable areas like water, open fields where no-one can go etc. Respawns so there is less of empty space in end game? To be seen if there is really any more free space compared to normal fights. Maybe later in match there is more free space when teams split and there is 4-5 sectors open.

Seems there is also artillery bombardment like Domination ( 7:07 in video)?

5 mens platoons sound very dangerous, platoon of 5 good players can prolly run over enemy team using coordinated focus fire and voice coms even more so than in normal game mode.

1 minute ago, sahtila said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_a4bhcUQ8

Seeing video, typical area of fight at the start of the match is like 1km x 3km so about three times larger than wot normal mode maps... but there is also twice number of players + unusable areas like water, open fields where no-one can go etc. Respawns so there is less of empty space in end game? To be seen if there is really any more free space compared to normal fights. Maybe later in match there is more free space when teams split and there is 4-5 sectors open.

Seems there is also artillery bombardment like Domination ( 7:07 in video)?

5 mens platoons sound very dangerous, platoon of 5 good players can prolly run over enemy team using coordinated focus fire and voice coms even more so than in normal game mode.

5 man platoons are a stupid idea. Especially with respawns since then your tomatoes yoloing are not as much of a problem. 

As for limited size of the map - well wait till later in game to be agressive. 

Premium rounds and consumables are only replenished if you have them in the Depot; regular ones are replenished automatically.

Start prebuying consumables and premium rounds boys! Downloading now, will comment on the gamemode itself later

Edit: first impressions. Having lost a few attacking games its obvious that WG did not consider the fact that you need to outnumber defender 5:1 OR have serious terrain advantage. Unless defenders are afk, it is quite hard to advance (zerging however does work). Second, fucking idlers. 3-5 in every game. Rly?

Just saw QB strim on this gamemode... This is MILLIONS of miles away from what you would expect.. They basically made an ENORMOUS map look tiny... The gamemode will only be played if they make some T22 scenario (with a good rewards)... 

Honestly they're is a ton of things to look out before this stupid gamemode... Also, why take a slow tank on this map ?

The map is sectioned off. Slow tanks are fine, you open map parts up one by one. Your spawns also move up as the assault progresses.

Just played 1 game. I think WG have done a great job with this so far. There are a few things to iron out but all in all, I had more fun playing that one frontlines battle than I've had in WoT for the past 2 months (Note that I'm just a casual pleb and not a hardcore player). I can't be bothered to write an indepth analysis, so I'll just paste what I posted on Anfield's discord.

"holy shit just had fun in WoT for the first time ever, playing frontlines :kappa:

Though, I derped and only put equipment on just two of my tanks, so I had to deal with cancer gun handling with everything else

Srsly tho. This is amazing. Gotta give props to WG

Bit poorly optimized atm. I was getting around 35-40 FPS and the load times were quite long. Will be interesting to see how RU potatoes handle this :kappa:

Also, the textures on the most of the rocks look awful

and their collision models are effed up

The map overall is well-made (for something made by WG :MingLee: ) with plenty of flanking oppurtunities. LTs will be pretty important here I think. Though, it seems a bit attacker-biased (I've only played 1 game, so take that with a pinch of salt). They'll also have to work on their tutorials if they're gonna put this in. The typical mouthbreather will be even more clueless here than in randoms."

TL;DR I think this gamemode is just what the game needs right now. I haven't played any slow tanks yet but from what I've seen fighting them, they don't seem to have much of a problem in getting around since, as @Vesirott said, the maps are sectioned off. The repair and respawn features are great for a pleb like me who likes doing stupid stuff but hates getting punished for it. The map's design, from what little I've seen of it, is actually some of the best we've ever seen from WG IMO (from a gameplay perspective atleast. It does look pretty bland and uninteresting)

WoT, unlike AW, has a big enough player base to achieve this kind of large scale battle. 

i'd like to try my hand at Frontlines this weekend

I played a couple of games yesterday, and here is my 2 cents. 

Economy: I  ended up as general in most of my battles, that is like MVP in this game mode. In reward I actually lost 50-100k credits per game, with minimal prem shell usage, and food. (no big repkit/medkit) They say the economy is work in progress, but I don't see why woulf they set it up like this. 

Base-capture: The only way to reset the cap is to actually kill the attacker in the cap. So damaging him just delays the cap. There are bases with a lots of cover, so if the attackers defending the guy in the cap, then the only way to reset, is to yolo in with BC and clip the guy behind the cover, and then die and lose credit... Also a really good idea to promote suiciding in your tier 10s....

Guns: if the defending team was pushed back to the last map section, then they need to defend some kind of guns/cannons. There are five of them, and they have hp. The attackers need to destroy 3 out of five. Those are so easy to destroy, that at this point it is GG. Also in this section of the map the defenders can't respawn. 

Respawn: you can pick the respawn location so you can change flank. If you die offten you have to wait more to respawn. The gui is horrible tho. 

Map: it is enormus, but it is divided to 9 sections.  It is so big, that in fact it's not worth it to travel to an other flank even with a BC. The three main flanks are separated with corridors, and it is a lot is faster to just die and respawn somewhere else. Some sections of the maps are big and open. So if you didn't pick a med for that section, then you can't do anything. I yoloed a hull-down in the middle of an open field with russian med, and the attackers had to sacrifice  5 auto-loaders to dig me out. 

Camping shitters: big map,  many bush, such wanking,  much wow. There are like two solid location for each cap for TDs, but they are flankable as far as I can tell. The majority of other bushes doesn't contribute much to the win.

It is still better, than rampage. 

TL;DR: WG introduced a new mode for TDs,  meds, and lights, so the heavies can play randoms in peace. The game mode  promote suicidal play, and in the mean time you lose credits if you play to win. 

Played like 8 games, experiences:

- its not really 3km x 3km map, its more like 3 maps of 1km x 3km (height). So they made mother of all tunnel maps. There is some crossroads between each slice but they are limited, minimap in image above shows them pretty well. Most of crossroads are at top/bottom of cells (remember 3x3 grid system, you conquer one grid at a time each lane going upwards) so they do not allow much flanking except couple places.

- There is plenty of cover everywhere, hills, terrain countours etc. No Malinovka style open fields without cover. Good for most tanks.

- Cant rush one one lane as attacker, after sector is conquered it takes 60 seconds before you can go next sector upward. So no medium wolfpack rolling whole side in 3 minutes, guess its good.

- Scouts need not apply, there is no role for scouts. Mediums are always better. Reasons:

* Respawn means even at end game there is still plenty of tanks alive each side, and anyway timer is running tight, so no time to dig enemies out by scouting and spotting. Spotting is mostly useless, ranges are usually short enough that all but rare td's back are spotted anyway. And usually maps give plenty of cover to get closer. Better just rush, dpm is king. And autoloaders, just like domination. Axm50b, tvp50/51. Str103b really good for defenders.

* Various mechanisms which limit parts of maps out, you cannot use whole area all time. Guess these are subject of change but forget about speeding far back enemy lines.

* Scouts could work if they had very high dpm  (like in AW). Bad handling, bad penetration but when they would get behind and close they would kill.

* Even if you go enemy weak side as scout, dieing and respawning enemies can instantly teleport (after cooldown) to that lane so there is soon 12 enemies against you and no room for anything in light tank.

Overall mode feels fun, but its missing few vs few endgame situations that happen in normal modes. Also personally I dont like too much about fighting against clock as it is, would prefer more about being able to bleed enemies out of tanks.

After having the rampage gamemode fail so badly, I don't understand why they keep pushing the same old headless, respawning chickens running trough a maze. In particular, the repair zones are an annoying and broken mechanic. In a team-based game, I'd like to see team-based solutions, such as having heavy tanks giving out repairs to adjacent vehicles, or something.

I like having objectives around the map and seeing the battle develop, but the game must reward smart plays. There should be both clear frontlines, as well as opportunities for flanking and scouting. It runs the risk of turning into another impersonal slugfest.

30 minutes ago, DHP said:

Am i the only one who would have been very interested with a 3x3km map 30vs30 NO RESPAWN gamemode ? 

2x2 maybe but the problem is you would have to probably rebalance tanks for it to make sense. Too many tanks cruise at 20kph and it would often mean they would have more battles of either not reaching the battle at all on the win or reaching a fallen flank and dying alone. 

played only 2 games so far, first impression: Decent, and certainly better as rampage.

Attack seems to have the advantage, since:

• Defenders can not cap a flag back
  • Pile boxes are very easy to destroy and 3/5 dead = win
  • Time is fairly long, and each caps adds 2 (?) mins fora total of 12
  • Defenders tend to keep defending the area they started, so once the attack sides caps 2-3 squares, its over, since defenders will be at random spots and attacks can just drive past them, the fight becomes a bit chaotic, and the piles boxes get destroyed

Overall, its decent, all it needs is some adjustments:

• Allow defenders to cap back the second row of bases, perhaps even allow time to be removed, in order to prevent an endless game (say 1 minute, so half what the attack gains)
  • Make the pileboxes stronger
  • Put a cap on the amount of autoloaders, right now arty is capped, having a cap on the amount of skoda / 50B / bat chat will make it much better, and will prevent the game from beiing autoloader-party... (T57 / foch are no problem, they are slow)

Also, mega buff credit income, like triple it!!, even shooting only AP i lost 100k credits, which is ridiculous (and yes, i bought a premium account)

The map itself is fine, its not tunnel-like at all, its 3x as wide as steppes, defenders cant really create a stalement, the map is just to wide with too much bushes and terrain bumps to really lock down, tanks / m2 is also fine, its not really emtpy, but also not dense, always tanks reasonable close by, but never overwhelming steamrolls

If this mode can be used to farm some crew exp and credits and get a different kind of game mode, i think it can succeed, perhaps add some grind missions for special camos (the cw camos for example or perhaps even some special reward tanks (reskins of tech tree tanks with ``historical accuracy``) and it could be succesfull

ps: and this map would also be great for PvE i think, if thise game mode fails, they should really re-use it for something else...

Without 5 men platoon this mode will be a gigantic cactus making its way to player's heart via his ass. Baddies and afkers spoil the entire sector - without 2-3 active players the sector is going to fail on both attackers and defenders side depending which one has more of them. Yesterday I took me 3 tanks to kill one batchat freely shooting my fellow attackers from the flank. Meanwhile a 47WR shitter was sitting 100m behind me for literally 5 minutes. Imagine half of attackers camping on live server.

Among many flaws of Frontline one of them is killing this mode - attackers are supposed to win. Map is made for them, spawn system too and air strike after capturing the sector also. 

3 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

played only 2 games so far, first impression: Decent, and certainly better as rampage.

Attack seems to have the advantage, since:

• Defenders can not cap a flag back

I was pretty sad about this.  I pushed hard in Maus and wrecked face to get back to a cap that was taken only to realize it was pointless. Sad.

So im confused about this whole dohicky. How many spawns do you get per game because I died twice and it said i was out of respawns.

3 base's at a time does seem a little rough currently. If im at base A and base C is being captured there aint shit Im going to be able to do about it really.

edit NVM im retarded

I managed to play few games yesterday. It's definitely interesting mod. IMHO only problem is whey take point you can later be in that sector. It would be fun if they hold that area as locked for enemy. Al those games i was defending team and we lost none.

First thing I noticed is the maps are 9 times the size and lights scouting is no more viable than it is on live.  I might be wrong, but that's the impression I got from the dynamics of how matches went.

I'm no uniscum, but fast armored vehicles like the kronkwagon were great for yoloing forward just to cover ground for my team as attackers on the cap stage.  Getting nuked by arty is less annoying when respawns are a thing, but unsure of my thoughts beyond that.

On 12/4/2017 at 11:05 PM, MacusFlash said:

Without 5 men platoon this mode will be a gigantic cactus making its way to player's heart via his ass. Baddies and afkers spoil the entire sector - without 2-3 active players the sector is going to fail on both attackers and defenders side depending which one has more of them. Yesterday I took me 3 tanks to kill one batchat freely shooting my fellow attackers from the flank. Meanwhile a 47WR shitter was sitting 100m behind me for literally 5 minutes. Imagine half of attackers camping on live server.

Among many flaws of Frontline one of them is killing this mode - attackers are supposed to win. Map is made for them, spawn system too and air strike after capturing the sector also. 

I have won many games on defence but i get what you mean. Some caps though are easier to def some other are easier to attack. 

The real issue is that both tds and lights are completly useless on this    map, while arty seems to be have benefits even tough i still think they  are a waste of a tank.

One positive thing is that this mode rewards flanking and aggressive maneuvers and finally the map is big, you can fucking move around not just being forced to face enemies.

Why is WG not using the new arta system ? It seems to me like another stupid move since the update is coming for sure (99.9% sure :) ) and seems dumb to balance and implement thing when the meta might switch just with new arta. 

It's really fun actually. Much better than domination. And the map is beautiful. Seemed really easy to win as an attacker though. Just a matter of time.