Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DirtyACE7

M48 woes :(

10 posts in this topic

Dear fellow tankers, help me please.

I've recently been playing the M48 and I want to tear my hair out. I know the great reputation this tank has, especially its gun handling and is the reason why I went down this line and got it. It also happens to be my first tier 10. I did well with all the tanks leading up to it but it feels like I'm hitting a wall practically every game in this tank. The gun especially. It has just been derping me like nothing else and I don't get it. I have vert stab and vents, my crew has BIA and snap shot and it continues to behave like it's possessed. Most games I end up with like a 50% pen rate or worse. I carry 20 HEAT shells as well for the heavily armored targets. I keep watching streams and replay packs of great players playing this tank and nothing seems to help. Is it cursed or is it me? I honestly think that it's me but I have not idea what to do differently. I understand the play style that this tank requires as it's essentially the same style that all tanks leading up to it require, you have to use the tanks greatest strength, its gun. Keep it firing all the time, use ridges. Poke, shoot, and get in cover. I understand all of these concepts just fine but for the life of me cannot seem to get it going with the M48, even after over 100 games in it. I so badly want to like this tank but so far it has been nothing but a pain in the ass and every now and then I will get a game where it just connects but those seem few and far between.

I would appreciate any help or advice :)

I haven't gotten the M48, yet. But I do have an M60, which is close enough.

Compared to my other two 105mm armed tier X medium tanks, the Centurion AX and STB-1, the M60 took awhile to get used to.

First off was the poor camouflage values for this tall ass tank. This makes it fairly difficult find bushes to hide in and spot targets, let alone fire from invisibility. You pretty much have to fire from the middle of a forest out, and as an extra precaution even fire from the outer side of the forest through it at something that's outside (if that makes sense)

It doesn't quite have the poor gun handling as the STB-1 (which isn't all that bad in the first place), but it's also not as dependable as my CAX. It can struggle to snipe at targets beyond 400m, especially at small target profiles and moving targets. Hitting weak-spots from long range can be iffy as well, especially on heavily armored tanks. HEAT isn't an "I WIN" button all the time.

Treat it like a tall Leopard I, I guess.

in my opinion the the M46 is better than the M48 due to a little less trolly.  There are better tanks but the M48 is a challenge in it self.  I would play the view range game primarily and start praying to RNJesus for some accurate shots.

It can get in really cheeky shots when people aren't pointing their guns at you since it has such low aim time and bloom!

Uploading a few of your own replays may help to get some better advice.

I just play mine like a normal med and brawl with it. Are you maybe aiming too much when you don't have to? 

my biggest frustration with the m48 so far, and I just got it about a week ago, is the top speed. It's got an excellent gun, but it can't keep up with the tanks it fights with some times.

Other than that, it almost benefits from being slow, because that way you're fighting behind the front line and supporting your team. It's a good ridgeline tank, but I wouldn't suggest aiming your shots too much unless you can see the tank isn't looking at you, mostly because the turret has large weak spots.

Brawling techniques I use;

fighting hills: use the steepest ridge that you can find to maximize your gun depression. 

corner games: you can almost over-angle the edge of your tank, those massive american tracks can absorb all sorts of shells. just make sure to bait the shot, because most people will be looking for a shot on your cupola when side-scraping.

circling: I aim 3rd person on most of my shots, even when detracking. It's just my personal preference, and it takes practice.

don't be afraid to use the gold shells on this tank. :D I think it owns the best heat in the game with over 1000 m/s velocity, basically the joys of apcr velocity without the loss of pen over distance. just don't waste it on lightly armored tanks because of the risk of absorption into tracks.

You mentioned you watched replays of players using the tank and not having problems hitting their snapshots.  It may be that you are struggling aim wise.

You may already know this information, but you might not as well if you're struggling with the M48 gun.  When it comes to aiming, keeping your bloom as minimal as possible is key.  Turning your tank either right or left increases bloom generally to the max it can go....however just rocking forward and backward doesn't really increase bloom that much unless you drive at some speed forward/backward.  So mainly with the M48, and any tank in general but mainly the M48, you'll see players fighting on ridgelines and hills just barely about to poke rocking forward and backward to throw off an opponent's shot.  When they're loaded all they have to do is drive slightly forward, wait about half a second to either be fully aimed in or very close to it and fire.  The M48 is definitely superior at this compared to others.

Only con I see to the M48 is it's really slow speed, so make sure you're paying attention to what's going on around you and don't get left behind/overrun.

Another thing that might help.  Run food on it, you'll really notice a difference I swear

15 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

Dear fellow tankers, help me please.

I've recently been playing the M48 and I want to tear my hair out. I know the great reputation this tank has, especially its gun handling and is the reason why I went down this line and got it. It also happens to be my first tier 10. I did well with all the tanks leading up to it but it feels like I'm hitting a wall practically every game in this tank. The gun especially. It has just been derping me like nothing else and I don't get it. I have vert stab and vents, my crew has BIA and snap shot and it continues to behave like it's possessed. Most games I end up with like a 50% pen rate or worse. I carry 20 HEAT shells as well for the heavily armored targets. I keep watching streams and replay packs of great players playing this tank and nothing seems to help. Is it cursed or is it me? I honestly think that it's me but I have not idea what to do differently. I understand the play style that this tank requires as it's essentially the same style that all tanks leading up to it require, you have to use the tanks greatest strength, its gun. Keep it firing all the time, use ridges. Poke, shoot, and get in cover. I understand all of these concepts just fine but for the life of me cannot seem to get it going with the M48, even after over 100 games in it. I so badly want to like this tank but so far it has been nothing but a pain in the ass and every now and then I will get a game where it just connects but those seem few and far between.

I would appreciate any help or advice :)

(I'm just a shitter so take my advice with a pinch of salt or two).

In my opinion, the M48 isn't as good as firing on the move or instantly snapshotting as people make it out to be. You should actually stop and aim your shots, even if it is for less than half a second. Keep track of enemy reloads and make sure you have enough time to stop, aim and fire. Pull back. Rinse, repeat.

Just a note. The gun has good handling but the accuracy is trash. You can't expect to snipe with it like an E50m or Leo. You have to play at the midrange where you can use the quick aim time to blap shit when aiming for weak spots somewhat doesn't matter. Also, abuse the HEAT as its shell speed is insane compared to other HEAT rounds and helps a lot at range to negate the shit accuracy. 

This tank started to tilt me toward the end of the three mark but you just have to realize the specific role that it fits into. 

Hi guys. Sorry that it has taken me some time to reply to this thread. Thank you so much for all of your feedback and advice! I feel like lately I've started to do better in the M48, however, yesterday I had some very tough games and would like for someone to take a look at them and let me know what if anything I could have done differently. I've uploaded three game below. All three were actually in a row that i played last night and all were loses.

http://wotreplays.com/site/3523921#pilsen-dirtyace7-m48a1_patton

http://wotreplays.com/site/3523931#el_halluf-dirtyace7-m48a1_patton

http://wotreplays.com/site/3523934#serene_coast-dirtyace7-m48a1_patton

Thank you again for all your help :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0