TheSovereign

Post patch thoughts

122 posts in this topic

Working as intended, Comrade. Mighty artillery shell is scaring your crew paralyzed, obviously!

3 hours ago, DHP said:

I'm trying to understand the logic behind this, but i'm just failling to see what WG is trying to implement. 

LcobTTp.jpg

splash doesn't take into account the height of things, only 2 dimensions instead of 3

they should really fixed that like they did for spotting way back when

4 hours ago, lordawesome7 said:

splash doesn't take into account the height of things, only 2 dimensions instead of 3

they should really fixed that like they did for spotting way back when

A simple fix would be for 0 damage "hits" to not stun you. That takes this sort of thing into account as well.

Arty and T10 Lights aside, I'll never forget this joke of a MM

VFpIHI3.jpg

Would love to see the HP for both teams on that...

9 hours ago, DHP said:

I'm trying to understand the logic behind this, but i'm just failling to see what WG is trying to implement. 

LcobTTp.jpg

Wow that is the definition of cancer right there

Just now, Acumen said:

Wow that is the definition of cancerright there

Sir, i think i heard arty land over there, i need some time to clean the shit out of my dacks.

2 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Sir, i think i heard arty land over there, i need some time to clean the shit out of my dacks.

Unrelated, but I remember the first time I heard an artillery battery conduct a fire mission. I do not want to be anywhere within 200m of the target location.

1 hour ago, neokai said:

Unrelated, but I remember the first time I heard an artillery battery conduct a fire mission. I do not want to be anywhere within 200m of the target location.

Sure if you're infantry, but if you're in an tank even 50 meters from the blast zone ain't shit.

Wew, so many ppl talking shit about arty stun. But I for one think WG is (finally) on the right track with it. Now with stun and better rof, arty is actually able to intimidate and dig out tanks staying in a critical position. (As they were supposedly designed to do so, 6 years ago...?)

If I am getting focused by multiple arty, i don't think it's because "arty is op": its because I am making myself an easy target. It's that same logic when I'm focus fired by multiple TDs, but ppl seem to think it's acceptable to be punished by TDs.

35 minutes ago, RunTheGears08 said:

Wew, so many ppl talking shit about arty stun. But I for one think WG is (finally) on the right track with it. Now with stun and better rof, arty is actually able to intimidate and dig out tanks staying in a critical position. (As they were supposedly designed to do so, 6 years ago...?)

If I am getting focused by multiple arty, i don't think it's because "arty is op": its because I am making myself an easy target. It's that same logic when I'm focus fired by multiple TDs, but ppl seem to think it's acceptable to be punished by TDs.

Everyone is easy target when stun and splash works thru object, walls and different heights. :gachi:

lol that's so true, doesn't make sense to me either. I still prefer this to one-shots though. At least now I can carefully play against it instead of praying to RNGesus :frenchy:

Guys!  Settle!  NA is just a test server now. Let's wait to see the stun mechanics after the NA test is over and the real update rolls out. 

11 hours ago, ZXrage said:

Arty and T10 Lights aside, I'll never forget this joke of a MM

VFpIHI3.jpg

#balance

10 hours ago, SaintLaurentius said:

Sure if you're infantry, but if you're in an tank even 50 meters from the blast zone ain't shit.

True, though no one uses pure HE rounds in a post ww2 conflict against tanks.

Anyway, what's the range/mechanic for stun to apply? What minimum caliber of guns will have stun? Is it applied equally within the splash radius, or scales from point of impact?

So far I'm in the camp that overall feels this patch is a step in the right direction and overall positive.

Re-usable consumables a huge plus.

Arty stun, yeah, pretty bad in some circumstances but overall much better to getting one-shot or wrecked from a single big hit. Still needs some tweaks, I stand by my initial impression that having buffed aim time, bloom and rate of fire, plus getting the stun, the splash radius should not have been increased to such a high degree. I'd either reduce that or reduce the stun duration. Otherwise, yes, agree that being able to stun someone through solid objects seems rather dumb.

One observation though about the new MM - it may be a server population thing, but I've been getting quite a high number of games with fewer than 15v15. At least 3 times I have been in a 13v13 game, and another 2 times in games with less than 13 tanks per side. All in what would be less than 100 games since the patch hit. Seems to me like that might be an unintended error in the coding to pull so many matches without full roster line-ups, and is basically the worst thing I've encountered about the new MM so far. Anyone else observed an increased incidence of games without full rosters since the patch? I will note that I don't platoon (only the dynamic stuff for missions etc.), so as a solo player it seems overall more 'even', although the usual imbalance issues in tank compositions, particularly for the top tiers, still exists.

OK, now that I've gotten all of my autistic screeching out here is my view of the patch as it stands.

Arty.  Any more than 1 arty and you'll be in for a rough game if you are a unicum, bluenicum, or a heavy tank of any xvm color.  That being said you are not safe from being targeted if you are a medium (naturally), the plus side being however you don't get oneshot AS OFTEN.  Last night in my E50M I took a direct hit in my ass from a GW Tiger, should have 1 shot me in 9.17, only took 500 dmg + stun.  I can live with that.
How War Gaming could fix it.  Limit arty to 1 per game, OR reduce the stun effect drastically, OR just remove arty from the game. 

Light tanks.  Tier 10 lights are not as common but from what I've seen so far, everyone likes the tier 10 RU, the Sheridan, or the WZ-132-1.  Light tanks got a big hit in view range, but I think this was a good change as in the first iteration of the test server tier 10 light tanks could easily get into the upper 500s on view range originally............that's broken as shit on maps like Prok for example.  You're basically perma lit.  As for combat efficiency, nerfing the alpha was needed as a tier 10 light tanks shouldn't have to trade equally against a tier 10 medium tank.  They're in a weird spot but honestly I don't see a problem with lights.

MM.  3-5-7 is boring.  If you're tier 10 you're basically bullying the shit out of tier 8s and that's no fun, and let's be honest how many normal players on the NA server do you see doing well enough in their tier 9s to make them a threat?  5-10 however is fucking awesome along with same tier fights.  The only problem being that sometimes the MM takes a shit and puts all the heavies on one side and all the meds on another.........which then makes it completely map dependent.  It needs work, this MM seems hurried up or it could be that the low server population on NA is hurting it.

Just my 2 cents.

TL;DR: Lights are fine IMO, arty still needs work, MM still needs work.

I've gotten in a decent number of games this weekend so far to really try the patch out more. More I play it the more I like it honestly. I don't rage nearly as much, and when I do its because I bounce off a 430 v2 hull 4 times in a row. Prick game mechanics. But anywho.

I *gasp* actually played a few arty matches. The best way to counter something is to know how it operates, and there's only one way to really do that here. They incorporated battle assistant...kinda. typical WG managed to derp it up a bit. I hate how the camera goes up and down. Just please add an option to fix the camera based on trajectory, none of this bouncy feeling shit. It's less frustrating to play, to me it has about the same total damage output as it did before but in a better way.

Previously your shells would be like this:

1- miss

2-miss

3-DIRECT HIT 1 SHOT KO! 1850 DAMAGE

4-150 SPLASH

Miss miss miss.

Whereas now it's more like:

1- 250 splash

2- 300 splash

3-500 direct hit

4- 200 splash

...etc. aka consistent. So IMO now it's both more fun to play, and to play against. 

New MM: siding with my original opinion in that it's WAY better. Obviously there's still flaws like meds vs heavies, and the teams that go full 15-0 retard but really there's nothing they can do about the second one.

Only played by Lekpz two matches as top tier and trolled hard against a bunch of lower tiers. Holy balls is that thing more fun now. Tomorrow I'll probably take more lights out for a drive to really get a feel for it. My 13-57 and Type 64 are itching to get played.

I'm good with the new stun mechanic. Good examples was today, playing Serene Coast, big medium brawl in C1, so was getting artied a lot. Was stunned over and over, taking a few hundred damage most times, but that's better than being one or two shotted. 

General dislike for the patch. I share the same view as Shifty that 3-5-7 is boring when top tier. I also don't believe the 3-5-7 was nearly as impactful towards MM fixing as was the return of battle tier 12 and boosting lights up to tier 10. BT 12 and adding lights I like, though lights did get boned.

I feel the reusable consumables to be a terrible idea. It removes some of the punishment for bad play - which I suppose is what WG wants for the snowflakes who can't take the fact they dun screwed up. Meanwhile it also removes some of the decision making in the garage on whether to bring two repair kits or one for some vehicles. It pushes people further towards the almighty food or auto extinguisher and makes duplicate consumables virtually pointless as the only real benefit is all at once or the slight reduction in chance of a critical. Why bring two repair kits for a tank prone to ammo racking when in 90 seconds you can just repair it again with the same kit? Chances are your cool down will be lower by the time you get ammo racked the second time any way.

Stuns are fucking stupid, particularly how implemented. If implemented it should be based on the damage received. What % of average damage was received? That same % will be the % of max stun duration. We went from the Ebola of arty pre-nerf, to the AIDS of post-nerf, to this cancer of constantly being debuffed which isn't any more enjoyable. Sure with the alpha of previous patch we'd get one hit killed or lose half our health on occasion. For the majority of occasions it didn't do that though we had longer between arty shots to get our own shots off. I don't find this to be any better, getting shells dropped with greater frequency and having my crews perform less efficiently. Remove arty and be done with it.

How much arty are you seing per game ? Last NA stream i saw was update-day and there were 3 on each side, every game. 

2 hours ago, DHP said:

How much arty are you seing per game ? Last NA stream i saw was update-day and there were 3 on each side, every game. 

Of course you're going to see a shitload of 3 arty games, everyone wants to test it and being limited to 3 per game, you're not getting anything better than that..

It'll be the same here on EU when the patch goes live..

Lights have been nerfed too much, their carry potential has been destroyed by cutting their ammo counts (I'm ok with the alpha reduction, they should do the same on every class.. it's retarded to have guns with the same calibre doing different amounts of damage just going up a tier, t32/m46 for example, or ltwt/t54.. the only actual gun calibre that doesn't do weird shit is the 90mm, gets 240 damage from tier 5 to tier 8/9)..

Still on lights, I'll probably set them up as damage dealers rather pure scouts, since they don't get the scout mm anymore (in most cases you're going to outspot tanks anyway due to camo rating)..

On 20/04/2017 at 7:27 PM, DHP said:

LcobTTp.jpg

Whilst that is stupid, you haven't actually lost anything there at all, you are stunned for what 15s? and already in a good position to get into cover, so you wait for the stun to go and move on.

I do feel whilst stun/splash can be tweaked most of the reactions to it IMO are over the top. 

Does also prove arty players are completely stupid trying to take shots like that, it's why so many people are so bad IMO in such an easy to play class they look for like the 1% chance shots most of the time instead of basically playing the percentages. 

2 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

Whilst that is stupid, you haven't actually lost anything there at all, you are stunned for what 15s? and already in a good position to get into cover, so you wait for the stun to go and move on.

I do feel whilst stun/splash can be tweaked most of the reactions to it IMO are over the top. 

Does also prove arty players are completely stupid trying to take shots like that, it's why so many people are so bad IMO in such an easy to play class they look for like the 1% chance shots most of the time instead of basically playing the percentages. 

You are analysing a very specific situation and come to the conclusion that it is not worrysome because the driver can just backout into cover with no damage taken. 

My analyse is that arta just stun trough a GOD DAMN MOUNTAIN and is thefore kind of shitty. If WG wanted to double the fucking splash then maybe they should have started with improving their splash calculation so it doesn't go through solid object. And i don't know programming but my guess would be that it's 100times more time consuming to rework how splash should go around solid object (and not trough it) then just change a single number and double the stupid splash so i would go out on a limb and say that WG will never rework how splash will work... . 

I just dont understand the "I mean its bad but he can take cover and wait"-arguements. 

We can say the same thing about 9.17. Dont like getting one-shot by AP arty? Oh well, just camp it out..? 

It should be really easy to understand that a broken mechanic like that will create lots of situation where you will just rage due to how it worked?

How many 1v1 situations do you have to lose becuase of stunning thru objects before you acknowledge its broken? 

For every "he can just sit it out" there is 9 situations where you are completly fucked because arty decided to take your loader for 15s with a hit in another zip code...

Seriously if WG gives arty stun they should give it to normal tanks too becaue if we are going to be even slightly realistic being penned from a 120mm shell will create more panic in your crew than a 150mm shell from arty splashing 50m away.