TheSovereign

Post patch thoughts

122 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

Lights are supposed to be matched against each other, TDs, SPGs and Lights are mirror matched, might be problems with NA's very small populations.

Matched against each other does not include tiers however. One team can have 2 tier IX LTsand 2 tier VII MT/HTs while the other team gets two tier IX MT/HTs and tier VII LTs...

Yes, it works out like that frequently. However, if you are the top light, and can keep your health while being active until mid-battle or so, and aren't too far behind in total HP, your mobility gives you a significant advantage. In good hands, the carry potential of top tier lights is significant. 

I've really been enjoying mid-tier light play since the update. 

7 hours ago, Griphos said:

Yes, it works out like that frequently. However, if you are the top light, and can keep your health while being active until mid-battle or so, and aren't too far behind in total HP, your mobility gives you a significant advantage. In good hands, the carry potential of top tier lights is significant. 

I've really been enjoying mid-tier light play since the update. 

shhh don't say that, everyone said LT's were nerfed into the core of the earth.

22 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Matched against each other does not include tiers however. One team can have 2 tier IX LTsand 2 tier VII MT/HTs while the other team gets two tier IX MT/HTs and tier VII LTs...

Does it still account for MM weight because lights are generally lower MM weight than heavies or meds and I thought previously most of the time lights were mirror matched on MM weight, unless they have changed it? 

3 hours ago, tajj7 said:

still account for MM weight...?

No. MM is a thing of the past with the new templated and class matched teams. And it didn't work well even before.

Here is my thoughts on my short time in the new patch. For some context, I'm not much of a WoT player anymore, but haven't quite quit. I play once a month or so and keep an eye on whats going on.

Arty: The actual changes are a mixed bag - I don't agree with making arty even more capable in close quarters, especially when it makes them competitive with many of the light tanks that should eviscerate them. Another thing I'm iffy about is that arty plays more of an assassin roll than before - their ability to accurately take out very low HP targets is a little absurd for a class that is supposed to be about area denial, chip damage, and as a counter to immense armor. On the other hand, I do think they feel a lot more tame when you're not in one of these situations. I haven't had a problem with stuns. The BIG plus to the new arty is that you're going to see a lot less of them. Their lack of oneshots and increased skill/effort requirement will make them a lot less appetizing to many bad arty players - without a meta change they will be very rare within a few months, especially below 9/10.

MM: Overall good - there's some glaring issues with how it matches top tier tanks, but a micropatch is fixing that very soon. It's even more retard friendly than before though - even a terrible player can have some really good games if he's in one of the new overpowered heavies/superheavies and gets placed top tier enough times, and the new 3-5-7 makes that even more of an advantageous position. Whether that's an actual problem is up to you.

Lights: Disappointing performance on the T10s, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. To make them competitive with T10 mediums would require some really absurd stats in this sort of meta and would break the game if map design shifts at all towards more open maps. I'm alright with wargaming taking the safe route and erring on the side of caution. This patch really obliterated how unique some lights are though. They all start blending together when you have so many similar tanks - some of the 6/7/8 lights feel analogous to what wargaming is doing with the T-44/Pershing clone spam.

While it's a step in the right direction, I think it's a very small step compared to what was possible with an arty/MM/LT overhaul patch. Sort of disappointed, but it's better than the one step forward, two steps back design theory I've come to expect from wargaming.

At least in platoons, it seems like it is far more common to be bottom tier now. I ran about 15 games with some of the guys, and we ended up getting top tier maybe twice, or three times, and bottom tier all but 1 of the games. These were mostly tier 8 games.

Not exactly a thought on the patch itself, but... OH MY GOD THESE TEARS ARE SO FUCKING DELICIOUS!

" Also I will not get any refund of gold on my arties. Which now will be absolutely USELESS. "
" Seriously. WG doesn´t wants arties. What they will get is that nobody will play arties. And everybody will camp at the bottom of their bases. "
" Arty will not have big alpha damage anymore. Arty was often the last tank alive and had a chance to shotgun the first enemy that found you. This was an exciting part of the arty game. Now, as soon as all other tank classes are dead, you might as well just drive in the open and let yourself get. What else can you do? Get 200 more damage? I think arties will suicide much more with 9.18. " (OH NOEZ, MUH CANCER-WAGON CAN'T INTO SHUTGUN ANYMORE!)
" And besides, if couple of loud people are complaining about couple "artys sitting in corner", what about TD-tanks? They are the real campers/clickers who just sit in bushes and who usually don't help anyone but themselfs and sometimes there are about 7 of them in both teams just camping and waiting that someone would pop out of their hides (what they are too afraid to too). Arty pushes them away of those hides, making the game go on. " (arty shitter logic 101)
" obj. 261 4shoot 4 direct hit 650 dmg nice update. Time to leave this stupib game. thx wg for this update " ahahahahahahaha

It's raining pascuccis. Which is cool, but I'd have liked they'd distingguished the old medals from the new ones.

OK, got to play a bit during the lunch-break...

Took out my GW Panther, was in awe at the sheer shell velocity, aim time & accuracy. Only hit stuff for 100-200, tops 300, which is HOW IT SHOULD BE. We lost, but I actually felt I was actively helping my team.
That won't turn me into a arty player, hell no. But I might take more chances at completing some of them PMs.

My Nashorn COMPLETELY APPROVES of the MM change. No more countless Tier 8 games where I'm a complete bottom feeder, up to Tier 7 I can even manage to play the view range/camo game, despite being as big as a barn.

I don't really see the complaints about the ELC. Sure it's a lot more sluggish now, but if it retained the old mobility + old gun stats, considering it sees Tier 7 max now (anyone remembers when it would see Tier 9s?...) it would have been OP as fuck.

Rolling out the E100 made me feel kind of overshadowed by quite a few Maus & Type 5s. Didn't get to be shot at by a high tier arty to see how much damage I would take on average, however...

...I ACTUALLY DID BRAWLING ON THE EL HALLUF MIDDLE HILL WITH THE E75!!!
That's right, just outside that arty shadow/umbrella area where you hug the hill wall. I could actually play support in a Tier 10 game by going in spots where I would have been nuked in the first minute!
Was actually more endangered by a T95 (!!!) that made its way to the brawling corner, however (unlike before) the allied arty provided constant support and keeping him mostly tracked (RIP Doom Turtle guy...)

Also, only had one fight in the new Tier 9 AMX 13 90... it feels more useful now, beforehand you had to manage with that god-awful 170 base pen, now 200 pen is reasonable enough... Not to mention that the 4-shell clip is a LOT more useful, with that reduced reload.
I think they buffed the gun handling stats a bit, too, CBA to actually look it up.

On the downside, there's a whole lot of visual info/feedback now, especially with the stun stuff... but I guess it would only be a matter of time till everyone gets used to it.

Excellent patch IMO.

Many lights are better than I thought, plus the buff to their hp/tons is a great change, makes them so fun. 1390, T71, Lttb, the premiums all very good. 

Arty barely impacted me, played 19 games barely got hit for more than 300 damage, a few arties had XVm hard ons for me, but aside one game where I got hit 4 times by a 261 in my Cent 7/1 they barely had an impact. Had one game in the T-54 ltw were a Bat Chat 58 arty player chased me round the whole map and only managed one stun from splash despite trying 3 whole clips at me, I then got to kill him end game. All the XVM focusing arties I've seen have had crap games. 

I really do not get the reactions from some people about the stun, maybe as a blue XVM player I am just so used to suffering arty damage every game and all game that I see this as a massive improvement whereas other players have clearly got away with arty not shooting them most games and it now seems to be, probably because it gets more value from shooting groups of targets.  There was not even as much arty as I thought there would be, was expecting 3 arty a side almost every game but had a good 1/4 of my games arty free. 

MM is a great change, had all variations of battles.

Re-usable consumables again a great change, no longer spending games crippled with a broken ammo rack or dead driver.

My only really gripe is the meta from everyone playing lights and arty but that will die down.

I'd give the patch a solid 8/10.

If they can sort out the matching of heavies v mediums, tone the stun down,  especially from zero damage hits and through objects and buff the tier 10 lights it would be a 9.5. 

I really don't understand how this patch can be considered a success in all honesty. The match maker in my experience so far has been nothing but a nightmare. Any time I wanted to play a tier 8 I would be put into tier 10 games. And teams continue to be very lob-sided with how tank types are distributed which I think contributes to the continuing lob-sided games.

2 minutes ago, DirtyACE7 said:

I really don't understand how this patch can be considered a success in all honesty. The match maker in my experience so far has been nothing but a nightmare. Any time I wanted to play a tier 8 I would be put into tier 10 games. And teams continue to be very lob-sided with how tank types are distributed which I think contributes to the continuing lob-sided games.

Maybe post patch scum is crawl out and breaks MM, but this is really good patch. Now they need to polish some bugs, and remove arty and this will be fine game. 

Since the micro-patch, my experience with the MM is that the top-sided distribution of classes seems to be more or less fixed, especially among the top tiers, things appear to be matched up pretty well (heavy v heavy, med v med, light v light for example in a 3-5-7).

MM seems to be a problem on NA server due to low population. 

On EU I got ALOT of 1-tier games even when running 3 man toons its not rare. Arta numbers seem very low as well, its only games here and there with 3 artys, otherwise its 0-2. 

Is it me or does it seem like the bad players, the like sub 48-49%ers seem to really dislike this patch? Obviously a load of terrible arty players are whining because they have no idea about positioning or target selection so they can't just get away with getting some good RNG and one shoting a couple of tanks to have a decent game anymore, so they think arty has been massively nerfed. But then you have all these whines about light tanks being OP, how bad are these players?, they seem completely incapable of dealing with top tier lights. No wonder the light tanks were nerfed so hard on test if this is the reaction of the below average bobs.

They also can't seem to handle the new arty at all, they don't seem to work out that they aren't being hit for like 1k and that you can still move and shoot whilst stunned. 

Patch 9.18 more than anything has highlighted how ignorant and clueless many players are of the game, the amount of people that clearly have been playing light tanks and not noticed they had scout MM for example so think their lights got nerfed.  

t6 lights are a real tragedy. Lost all the unique guns, vk2801 derp, 59-16 autoloader. Couldn't be bothered to rebalance them, just give them all generi76mm ecksdee.

But in exchange for losing unique (but ineffectual, in the 59-16) guns, they did indeed get significantly buffed simply by the MM change.  I never liked playing them when they saw T9.  So outclassed.  Now that they see T4 as top tier not infrequently, they are a hoot.  I guess if your priority is something different, they are more of the same; but if your priority is winning, they are much, much better at that.  

Since the new light tank if the enemy light has half a brain there are a lot of maps where you get caught out in the open on your way to the usual chokepoint.

6 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Is it me or does it seem like the bad players, the like sub 48-49%ers seem to really dislike this patch? Obviously a load of terrible arty players are whining because they have no idea about positioning or target selection so they can't just get away with getting some good RNG and one shoting a couple of tanks to have a decent game anymore, so they think arty has been massively nerfed. But then you have all these whines about light tanks being OP, how bad are these players?, they seem completely incapable of dealing with top tier lights. No wonder the light tanks were nerfed so hard on test if this is the reaction of the below average bobs.

They also can't seem to handle the new arty at all, they don't seem to work out that they aren't being hit for like 1k and that you can still move and shoot whilst stunned. 

Patch 9.18 more than anything has highlighted how ignorant and clueless many players are of the game, the amount of people that clearly have been playing light tanks and not noticed they had scout MM for example so think their lights got nerfed.  

I'll be honest, my stats are nothing to harp about but I'm hardly a 48%er (and there are many others like myself) and I am really disappointed with certain parts of this patch, mainly the MM. I'm not seeing this supposedly improved MM in my games. I have no problems dealing with top tier lights and am very happy with the results of the arty nerf but the mm has been trash game after game for me.

2 hours ago, DHP said:

if the enemy light has half a brain...

Luckly that is not the case. 

I am coming back from what i said about map rotation. Yes you rarely see two same maps in a row or even get into the same map over and over in the same session but something is off about the maps rotation.. played something like 100 games since 9.18 and I haven't seen sandriver, Karelia,lakeville, Prokhorovk, siegfrield line, Erlenberg ONCE !! Like seriously.. WTF. 

And i have seen COUNTLESS times Kharkov and stalingrad which used to be super rare maps.. 

I have not stats to back it up since Wotnumber doesn't work in 9.18 but i smell something fishy. 

Edit: just realise encouter and assault was deactivated from a previous platoon. Just as i activated back i go half the map that i said i hadn't had in those specific game mode, all in a row.. Weird.. 

My 2 cents CDN...

MM after micropatch? very good.

Arta stun sucks and being permastunned stunned sucks and getting stunned through solid objects sucks. Arta sucks. Period.

Reusable consumables is a HUGE plus. 

Lights at tier 6 are pretty much opie...pick one and you aren't a scrub you will do well. Prem lights (im looking at you 1357GF ridiculously good)

M41 Walker Bull :doge: is trash with the nerfed autoloader. Switched to the single shot.

RU251 is very good at tier 9. 

T54ltwt is trash now.

Map rotation is much better. I think I may turn assault back on now.

How about tier 8 lights? It used to be a really balanced tier (I liked/hated all of them equally) and now it seems to me that M41 90 premium tank is king with everyone else lagging behind... by a lot?

LTTB still has some armor, I guess, and BC12t is the only good autoloader, but both have abysmal ammo count. Bloody hell.