TheSovereign

Post patch thoughts

128 posts in this topic

I posted this on the NA forums:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/540930-when-will-the-matchmaker-be-fixed-in-918/page__pid__10957031#entry10957031

Tier 8 tanks are getting continuously screwed by the new matchmaker.

I looked at the data I have for non pref matchmaking tanks during patch 9.13 through 9.15.  I played 358 battles in non pref matchmaking tier 8 tanks during the time of patches 9.13 through 9.15.  147 of the battles were tier 8 battles.  127 of the battles were tier 9 battles.  84 were tier 10 battles.

Tier matchmaking 8 in patches 9.13 through 9.15:

AFXBxoW.jpg

These battles were all times of the day not just 7PM to 11 PM east coast time.

Tier 8 matchmaking in patch 9.17:

G2SGN8j.jpg

Lets compare the above to patch 9.18 matchmaking.

After 131 battles in non pref matchmaking tier 8 tanks since 9.18, I updated Tier 8 matchmaking in 9.18 info I collected:

prWpuUk.jpg

Recently, I played more tier 8 tanks only during the 7PM to 11 PM east coast time period.  This caused my number of tier 8 battles to go up to a higher percentage because the server population was higher.  Outside of the 7-11 PM time period the percentage of tier 8 battles in tier 8 tanks is 15-20%.

Before patch 9.18 about 40% of tier 8 tank battles were tier 8 battles.  After patch 9.18 about 20% of tier 8 tank battles are tier 8 battles.  Tier 8 tanks continue to get screwed over by matchmaking in patch 9.18.  Also, tier 8 premium tanks that don't have pref matchmaking have to fire more premium ammo because they get twice the number of tier 10 battles.  This devalues tier 8 premium tanks and reduces their credit making potential.  If Wargaming isn't going to fix matchmaker for tier 8 tanks, Wargaming should reduce the cost of all tier 8 premiums that don't get special matchmaking and give every player a partial gold refund for every tier 8 premium non special matchmaking tank they own.

I have also noticed that T8 tanks seem to be bottom tier much more often.  However, sheer ratio of numbers of battles in each tier ignores the fact that being bottom tier now means something different than before the update.  Before, being bottom tier could mean being the only T8 tank, or one of only a few.  Now, it means being the majority still.  Bottom tier in a T8 tank means facing 8 tanks of higher tier max, and five of those are T9.  So, while finding myself bottom more frequently, I haven't experienced the same feeling of uselessness in that circumstance as before the update.  

I don't see any way to fix this, given the popularity of T8-10 tanks.  Overall, I think I like the new MM better.

Good luck with the gold refund idea, though.  I'm all for WG giving me gold.  

I think there's going to be a greater reluctance for players to buy tier 8 premiums if WG doesn't adjust the MM. At the very least you should be top tier a third of the time but it's considerably lower right now. I really don't want to spend money on a tank and then end up having to fire mostly premium ammo because I keep running into tier 10s. Premium tanks first and foremost about making credits and then training up your crews. Your credit-making potential is drastically reduced when you're bottom tier most of the time.

The premium ammo argument holds little weight given the new mm effectively means the majority of what you face will be your tier or lower. The previous mm made no such guarantees thru its design.

Just now, Ezz said:

The premium ammo argument holds little weight given the new mm effectively means the majority of what you gave will be your tier or lower. The previous mm made no such guarantees thru its design.

Forgive my stupidity but I don't quite understand what you are saying. What do you mean by "what you gave will be your tier or lower"? I have a feeling you're saying that this new mm is supposedly better for premium tier 8s? How is that? All my experiences so far with it have been anything but that.

Sorry, edited to 'face' (phone reasons).

As to the tanks you'll face, consider the various combinations of tiers you can see - a tier 10 match is the only one where there will be more higher tiers than 8s. Beyond that tier 8s or lower will be the majority.

The point was the old mm had no such restrictions. You could actually face more upper tiers - esp in a top heavy population.

A perma teal's .02€

Before 9.18 I was terrified of playing tier 8s (especially premiums), the risk of being the only t8 in a full t10 match was too great..

Now I enjoy playing tier 8s, in the worst case you have 7 tanks you can shit on without any problem and a few challenging tanks to fight.

Idk if it's because the patch has been out for a short time, but I've never ever been top tier in my m41 90, i always end up in a t9/10 match, which is fine because there's plenty of damage to farm, but I've never experienced farming 5k against tier 6s :(

19 hours ago, DHP said:

I am coming back from what i said about map rotation. Yes you rarely see two same maps in a row or even get into the same map over and over in the same session but something is off about the maps rotation.. played something like 100 games since 9.18 and I haven't seen sandriver, Karelia,lakeville, Prokhorovk, siegfrield line, Erlenberg ONCE !! Like seriously.. WTF. 

And i have seen COUNTLESS times Kharkov and stalingrad which used to be super rare maps.. 

I have not stats to back it up since Wotnumber doesn't work in 9.18 but i smell something fishy. 

Edit: just realise encouter and assault was deactivated from a previous platoon. Just as i activated back i go half the map that i said i hadn't had in those specific game mode, all in a row.. Weird.. 

I just new something was fishy about map rotation. I wonder if people who have assault and encounter have the same issue. 

See link :

Is there a problem with map rotation?(a little statistic analysis)
https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofTanks/comments/68ruqk/is_there_a_problem_with_map_rotationa_little/

3 hours ago, DHP said:

I just new something was fishy about map rotation. I wonder if people who have assault and encounter have the same issue. 

I only play regular mode, but something is fishy. I have some more data ~100 games, i could do some comparison. 

About MM, i played mostly T6-T8 premiums (money grind) and T9 (103, 3moe) and most of time MM was peach. When you are bottom you still plenty same tier opponents to farm. 

On 5/2/2017 at 6:54 AM, Bavor said:

Lets compare the above to patch 9.18 matchmaking.

After 131 battles in non pref matchmaking tier 8 tanks since 9.18, I updated Tier 8 matchmaking in 9.18 info I collected:

prWpuUk.jpg

Recently, I played more tier 8 tanks only during the 7PM to 11 PM east coast time period.  This caused my number of tier 8 battles to go up to a higher percentage because the server population was higher.  Outside of the 7-11 PM time period the percentage of tier 8 battles in tier 8 tanks is 15-20%.

Before patch 9.18 about 40% of tier 8 tank battles were tier 8 battles.  After patch 9.18 about 20% of tier 8 tank battles are tier 8 battles.  Tier 8 tanks continue to get screwed over by matchmaking in patch 9.18.  Also, tier 8 premium tanks that don't have pref matchmaking have to fire more premium ammo because they get twice the number of tier 10 battles.  This devalues tier 8 premium tanks and reduces their credit making potential.  If Wargaming isn't going to fix matchmaker for tier 8 tanks, Wargaming should reduce the cost of all tier 8 premiums that don't get special matchmaking and give every player a partial gold refund for every tier 8 premium non special matchmaking tank they own.

Are you platooning? Isn't there something in MM now that says platoons are always bottom tier or something? I could be wrong I just read it in passing somewhere.

So, it's like week and a half after the patch came to EU, arty and LT numbers are not crazy anymore, and I've played about 80 battles. I gotta say, I like it.

During most of my battles, arty has pretty much been a non-factor. Disregarding the first time I've played (day after patch, there was still a lot of arty), arty had significant impact (taking away atleast 1/3 of my HP) in.... about 4 battles? That includes playing pretty much every class including T28 proto. Stun also had minimal impact, I lost out maybe on 1 shot of DMG because or reload in couple of battles, I got tracked + stunned in bad position without kits about twice, and once I took DMG because of slow traverse. That's about it for stun. Also, my WR is up by 3% of what I usually get with me playing quite badly. Might be small sample bias, however it supports what I feel like about arty.

Reusable consumables, big thing, takes away a lot of module RNG. One tiny problem, you can't gamble on people not having repkits in lategame and permatrack them, so that's one less way to outplay people. It's a price I'll gladly pay for negating module RNG however.

MM. After the amount of arty and LT's in queue went down, it works well. MM is more predictable, you can play more consistently, as bottom tier you have lot to shoot at, as top tier there's a lot of food for you + there are single tier games where's a lot of HP. I've had some issues with super quick battles the first week, but that was mostly tied to lot of LT's and arty in matches, now it seems fine. It does have issues when conditions are not ideal however - low server population/dominant class in queue. So in this regard, I see where the complaint from NA/ASIA servers are coming from.

Light changes... they are not something I really care about tbh. They butchered some, they made some more exciting. In the end, there's still like 200 tanks to play apart from LT's so I don't really mind the changes.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:08 AM, Acumen said:

Are you platooning? Isn't there something in MM now that says platoons are always bottom tier or something? I could be wrong I just read it in passing somewhere.

Not platooning.  All solo pub battles.

After more tier 8 battles, almost all of them between 5 PM and 11 Om east coast time during higher server populations this is the breakdown:

186 battles total
Tier 8: 40 Battles 21.51%
Tier 9: 66 Battles 35.48%
Tier 10: 80 Battles 43.01%

Tier 8 tanks continue to get screwed int he current matchmaker.  They get 1/2 the tier 8 battles they got pre patch 9.18.

On 5/8/2017 at 10:12 AM, Bavor said:

Not platooning.  All solo pub battles.

After more tier 8 battles, almost all of them between 5 PM and 11 Om east coast time during higher server populations this is the breakdown:

186 battles total
Tier 8: 40 Battles 21.51%
Tier 9: 66 Battles 35.48%
Tier 10: 80 Battles 43.01%

Tier 8 tanks continue to get screwed int he current matchmaker.  They get 1/2 the tier 8 battles they got pre patch 9.18.

you are right tier 8 is in a bad a place with this new MM. I got only 17% tier 8 games in my tier 8's over 70 games. So bad. I am staying away from them. 

Well I would guess that you would be bottom tier about half of the time with the new MM (though when you are bottom tier it's less drastic). Let's hope with ranked mode culling off a lot of tier 10s the balance will be restored from 20%.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:00 PM, Acumen said:

you are right tier 8 is in a bad a place with this new MM. I got only 17% tier 8 games in my tier 8's over 70 games. So bad. I am staying away from them. 

On 5/9/2017 at 1:38 PM, Fenxis said:

Well I would guess that you would be bottom tier about half of the time with the new MM (though when you are bottom tier it's less drastic). Let's hope with ranked mode culling off a lot of tier 10s the balance will be restored from 20%.

The data I have from patches pre 9.18 shows that when playing solo in tier 8 tanks in pub battles, I was top tier 35%-42% of the time in tier 8 tanks with regular matchmaking.  That includes battles outside of the time periods of the highest server population.  9.18 changed things so that tier 8 tanks are top tier 1/2 the time they use to be.  When I've played tier 8 tanks solo pub outside of the 7 PM to 11 PM time frame I was top tier only 15-20% of the time.  For a while it was actually less than 15% of the time that I was top tier in tier 8 tanks.

zUuPnWI.png

(my session tonight in the OI :( )This new MM :jebaited: or as i call it " the 3-5-7 low tier experience"    

@Bavor do you keep gathering your MM results ? 

Edit: just realize i met 50+ T8's and 0 T5's in my tier 6.

4 hours ago, DHP said:

zUuPnWI.png

(my session tonight in the OI :( )This new MM :jebaited: or as i call it " the 3-5-7 low tier experience"    

Ack I guess tier 9/10 are the place to be these days.

On 5/12/2017 at 5:22 PM, DHP said:

I haven't played much lately, but I'll continue to record my matchmaking results.  

On 5/12/2017 at 4:22 PM, DHP said:

Yes, I notice when once in a blue moon that I am top tier its a one or two tier game. Not that I want to beat up on people two tiers below me all the time but getting to be food for half my battles and almost never getting to return the favor is getting old. I would love it if WG would change the MM to only one or two tier battles, population allowing. Other than arty removal, this would be the biggest improvement of the game imho.

Well, for it's officially a terrible patch as far as MM is concerned. I really cannot play any tier 8 without being bottom tier at least 90% of the time. I played this weekend and it was a gigantic pain to try to grind credits in any tier 8 premiums. You are almost always up against tier 10s and so need to shoot a lot of gold which takes your profits way down. It just sucks so much. This is a huge fail on WG's part. Maybe this MM works as they intend it on larger populations but it is certainly struggling with NA's population.

I was just in a game with my Leo. I got shot at three times by one arty and none of them hit me, just all near misses. Nothing else hit me the whole game. In those three near misses that pos motherfucker killed me. Arty is just as bad if not worse than it ever was, just in a different way. Maybe in heavy tanks its a little better but tanks with little to no armor its much worse. Fuck arty. If any of you here enjoy playing arty then fuck you. Just sayin'

Tier 7 pref MM should just be treated has a T8 with +0/-2 MM right now.. The only reason i see T6 is when i get into mid tier in a 3-5-7MM, you never see tier 5 basically, you rarely get top tier in a 5-10 and i am still looking to see a top tier in a 3-5-7.

At the same time i played some WZ-132A to prepare for TOT and tier 9 are such in a good position right now... The worst MM you get is 5 tier 10... And the majority of the time you are top tier in 3-5-7 or 5-10.

Tier 9 is just borderline godly right now. Even when platooning you get top tier pretty often. This made the otherwise possibly crappy weekend very enjoyable.

I hope wargaming fixes the missions, with the current mm it's impossible to get a few done (the ones about killing higher tier tanks or getting a certain amount of damage on certain classes, mt15.4 and ht6.4 for example)..

I'm not in a hurry to get the 260, but at least make it possible..

I don’t know what was going on but last night was tremendously painful with all the human garbage playing arty. Every other game had three human garbage clicker cancer per team. Two games last night I was grieved to the point that I could literally do nothing at all. Zero damage game, no impact what so ever. Who in the seven hells thinks this is good for game design or fun for anyone involved? Fuck arty and all the human garbage that play it.

On a related note, I have a question for all you tryhard CW types. I was given the feedback in an advance that I should equip a spall liner on my E-100. Is this good direction for the E-100 as well as other super heavies in a competitive game mode? I will soon have my Maus that is used in competitive games much more often than the E-100 (at least for now) so I would like to equip both in the proper manner.  Pub effectiveness comes a distant second to competitive game modes for me. Thanks!