Tanager

obj 140 or t62a as first unlock from t54?

24 posts in this topic

I have both of the top guns unlocked in my t54, and now I'm grinding towards the tier 10s.  I know they're both good tanks, and at least statistically, it looks like they each have modest advantages over each other in different areas.  I've read the tank-specific threads pretty extensively, but nothing jumps out that says, "Tanager, you need to start HERE!"   Any recommendations on which one to unlock/buy first?  I'll probably unlock both eventually (b/c who doesn't love playing a t54), but I'm curious if one is better for an utterly average crap player like me.

There's only a million threads created on this topic...

140 for clan wars

62a for pubs

I have to say, I enjoy my 140 more in every aspect compared to the T62. Both tanks get railguns, but the 140 has better dispersion where it matters. The 140 can actually poke ridgelines. The 140 is faster than a lot of tier 10 mediums (STB, 121, Fatton, M60 Jesus, Cent AX) whilst the T62 lags behind. The 140 bounces tier 8 mediums and some tier 9s reliably with the extra hull angling. The T62 gets dat turret, but honestly, the roof of the 140 isn't as prominent if you wiggle (which you can do with that railgun handling) and it just makes it more frustrating when you get lolpen'd in the cheeks when you're relying on the turret. Oh, though if you're not a fan of module damage, the 62 has the 140 beat there. 

10 minutes ago, _Jayc_ said:

There's only a million threads created on this topic...

140 for clan wars

62a for pubs

Yeah, I know.  I shouldn't have started a new thread, I got lazy.  My bad.

I went for T62A. The 62A just feels more... like the T-54's bigger brother IMHO.

Yes, the -5 dun depression is just meh, but you can shoot on the move, have a invincible turret, and it feels just more capable in a brawl. The 140 is no slouch either, I just find myself pew pew'ing more, moving, cover to cover in T62A, while in 140, I have to hold my shots and pew, until I get into cover.

The 140 is slightly faster, and has better camo, and lower profile over all. The hatches are penn-able at close distance brawling. 

For the T62A, if you're going to go with -5 gun depression, there is the Obj 430... which gets higher dpm than both of these tanks, just less gun handling. Also, has even better camo, lolz.

The snaps I have hit with my T62A.... man.... I love it. I get in peoples faces and can do knife fighting in it better than my 140, since I don't have 2 hatches to work with, and on the move accuracy is just so nice (although, I do let the gun settle when I can).

If I could do it all over again, I would buy the 430, and be done. I like to pew pew on the run. If this sounds odd to you, get the 140. Hope this helps, sorry if it made it harder with the 430 comments.

13 minutes ago, Matross said:

I went for T62A. The 62A just feels more... like the T-54's bigger brother IMHO.

Yes, the -5 dun depression is just meh, but you can shoot on the move, have a invincible turret, and it feels just more capable in a brawl. The 140 is no slouch either, I just find myself pew pew'ing more, moving, cover to cover in T62A, while in 140, I have to hold my shots and pew, until I get into cover.

The 140 is slightly fast, and has better camo, and lower profile over all. The hatches are penn-able at close distance brawling. 

For the T62A, if you're going to go with -5 gun depression, there is the Obj 430... which gets higher dpm than both of these tanks, just less gun handling. Also, has even better camo, lolz.

The snaps I have hit with my T62A.... man.... I love it. I get in peoples faces and can do knife fighting in it better than my 140, since I don't have 2 hatches to work with, and on the move accuracy is just so nice (although, I do let the gun settle when I can).

If I could do it all over again, I would buy the 430, and be done. I like to pew pew on the run. If this sounds odd to you, get the 140. Hope this helps, sorry if it made it harder with the 430 comments.

No, that was perfect.  Thanks tons.  I think the gun handling is what will likely decide it for me, so probably going to go for t62a initially.  I doubt I'd go wrong either way, though.

After getting both I must say I enjoy the T62a more after the HD-nerf to obj140. 

Sure, the -1 degree gundepression and 5km/h top speed is felt, no doubt about that but you will learn how to work that 5 degree without any real problem, its almost like it teaches you to use your surrounding more to get that extra degrees. 

If the enemy is "up to date" with changes they will overmatch your roof with 120mm guns and the area which is overmatch-able got almost twice as big from the front and the HD-cupolas could be shot from the Moon.

Edit - and like Matross said about module damage but I gets waaaay less than with the obj140. Pick up SS if you havent already as it makes a big difference

Just now, Tanager said:

No, that was perfect.  Thanks tons.  I think the gun handling is what will likely decide it for me, so probably going to go for t62a initially.  I doubt I'd go wrong either way, though.

Yeah, you can always pick up the 140 afterwards. I play my T54 just like I play my T62A, since the shell velocity is sh*t.

On, 1 pro tip. DO NOT, absolutely, DO NOT, show your right side of your RU MED's. I even put inscriptions on the right side, to remind myself DO NOT SHOW THIS SIDE TO ENEMY. You will get ammo racked and/or set on fire.

I carry 2 repair kits, and an automatic fire extinguisher. Yes, it's THAT bad. 

Just now, Matross said:

Yeah, you can always pick up the 140 afterwards. I play my T54 just like I play my T62A, since the shell velocity is sh*t.

On, 1 pro tip. DO NOT, absolutely, DO NOT, show your right side of your RU MED's. I even put inscriptions on the right side, to remind myself DO NOT SHOW THIS SIDE TO ENEMY. You will get ammo racked and/or set on fire.

I carry 2 repair kits, and an automatic fire extinguisher. Yes, it's THAT bad. 

Yeah, I had to learn that in the t44 and t44-100.  The inscriptions (I might even do a custom skin) are a good idea.  I'm running 2xrepair + medkit in my hovermeds, since honestly fires haven't been a huge issue, but I want the medkit in the new arty meta, and I don't have JOAT on any of my RU commanders yet.

I honestly didn't think I had to run fire extinguisher, but... holy sh*t has it saved my ass so many times... ESPECIALLY in close brawls. Yes, you hide your right, but what happens when some random lowlife hobo fxck appears out of no where, who made a beeline zip to your location to try to kill you, when your trying to hunt down a clipped batchat?

Yes, you kill the batchat, and then you turn your attention to get revenge on the stupid fxck who came to try and go after you, and is trying to track you and shoot your butt (say it's another French tank with a clip!).

Secnario 1. No AFE? Probably get tracked/ammo racked, and your engine eventualy starts a fire. You get fuct. Roasty toasty fuct. Nothing you can do, except maybe try to ram your useless burning pile of sh*t tank now (since everything is broken, and don't want to spend 20k to repair everything, knowing you're dead in the next few seconds, and probably can't kill the French tank, since everyone and their mother is now shooting at you), into the enemy to get extra damages. Scenario 2. With AFE? GET-SOME-B*TCH, DINNERS ON, GET SOME.

@Matross that honestly made me laugh, so thanks for that.  Love your avatar, btw - my Dad and two of his brothers fought in the Pacific theater.

Just now, Tanager said:

@Matross that honestly made me laugh, so thanks for that.  Love your avatar, btw - my Dad and two of his brothers fought in the Pacific theater.

@TanagerI'm out of upboats, but thanks to your fam in the Pacific.

I hope it was entertaining, I hope my pains is not your struggles. I have done so much stupid chit, I try to help others from making my mistake. Ask @SchnitzelTruck, he see's me derp out, and I swear he's just shaking his head silently at me. I too, was stuck where you were, trying which medium to get.

Run AFE, just do it. Jumping into matches without it... yeah only 12% chance of fire, but if you lick the toilet seat at a pitstop in your closest major city, only 12% chance of getting aids/cancer/gonorrhea/syphilis/chlamydia too, so.... just carry it. 

@Matross You kidding? You were following my potato derps into the hall of infamy. I just shot a couple times more than you lol

Personally, The 62A turret is nice and all, but fuck me do gold rounds slice through it. I've had an e100 snap me at 300m with HEAT and pen my turret. I would be wary of going for the 62A first. I personally wish I had gotten the 140 first, I just think it's a better tank. (I've played the 140 on a friend's account).

So...there you have it!  Consensus is that the Object One-Four-thirty-two A is clearly the best tank to start with!!!

@Matross: And that's why I only lick the toilet seats in rural areas!!!

The 62a is a much nicer pub tank. The 140 after the recent HD update is basically useless in any hull down position as the roof is a massive weak spot. 

Furthermore, the argument for the 140 in CW is completely moot with the insanity that is the 907. 

After the HD-buff the 907 is better than both of them so get that one instead:trump:

That being said, the difference between the 62 and the 140 are minor and they play exactly the same so at the end it just comes down to personal preference.

The 140 is slightly stronger when using its gundepression because +1 gundepression and the upper plate that can actually bounce stuff unlike the 62A plus the weak turret roof is less of an issue of you aren´t a retard and sitting completly still.

The 62 on the other hand doesn´t really have any turretweakspots and will bounce most standardrounds anyway even when the enemy is shooting down on it.

For CW the 140 is prefered because against goldrounds the T62-turret isn´t actually any better than the 140-turret but the extra gundepression and topspeed the 140 get are much more important.

Also, if you actually have a 907 just play that instead.

Regardless of which one you end up picking first, there will be a time when you will wish you had that other tank instead. :minidoge:

well i've blocked 3 shells in a row from jpe100 with a t62a, but i still like the 140 better cuz of the +1 gun dep

I dont get how people can say they are ``almost equal``, i hate T62a with a burning passion and bought and sold it now twice, meanwhile i have 400 or so games in Obj 140 and sort of like it.

Reason T62 is imo horseshit:

• -5 gun dep is just awefull when everyone and everything has more, -6 is still 20% more afterall, and the gap between -6 and -8 (most common) is 50% smaller as between -5 and -8
  • a T62 hull wont bounce anything, its not even 200mm effective (185mm or so), and on top it also has flat hull sides, which again wont bounce anything, unless autobounce, an Obj 140 has ~210mm ufp and the upper part of the hull is curved, sure its paper thin (55mm or so) but due to the curve it will autobounce at less steep angles

The T62 gets indeed a better turret (no hatches) but trading gun depression and hull armor for turret armor which wont make any difference 3/4 games? i know what i would pick...

ps: i never played Obj 430, but the worthless accuracy would probably make me very fast very mad...

This is "new" HD turret, 37mm got alot bigger.

* Not really scale 1:1 but anyway.
* Beside the gun its around 250mm vs 270mm.

t62aobj140turret.png

7 hours ago, Tanager said:

I have both of the top guns unlocked in my t54, and now I'm grinding towards the tier 10s.  I know they're both good tanks, and at least statistically, it looks like they each have modest advantages over each other in different areas.  I've read the tank-specific threads pretty extensively, but nothing jumps out that says, "Tanager, you need to start HERE!"   Any recommendations on which one to unlock/buy first?  I'll probably unlock both eventually (b/c who doesn't love playing a t54), but I'm curious if one is better for an utterly average crap player like me.

I too am a terribly crap average player like you, maybe even worse in recent days, but I bought the t62a eventually [I had the 140 already] (after having it unlocked for ages and ages, mainly b/c most credits went into other new tier 10's like the 113)
here's my baddy 140 stats (my second tier 10)
84dd778fc3.png

here's my terrible 62a stats (with slightly less crew skills) 

f456246f15.png

As You can see, I'm terrible in both, but to be honest, I prefer my 140 over my 62a, in both pubs and clan wars... it might be because i have vastly more games in my 140, but I feel like i can abuse and utilize the 140's extra degree of gun depression (amongst other things) more than the 62a's turret (amongst other things), I also think the 62a is slightly slower? I feel that the object 140 has a bit more needed agility and workability overall than the t62 in majority of situations.

I'd recommend using the gun leading to the 140 on the t54 (obviously... IIRC) and then get the 140, then the 62a if you honestly feel like having another ru med..... (if you do you are a filthy masochist ;) )

I also abhor playing my t54 (fucking bored outa my mind playing that in tier 9 platoons), which might've factored into me not liking the 62a, as its basically the t54 with slight upgrades vs the 140 which has a semi different playstyle to fully utilize its pro's (took me a few hundred battles to realize this) 

9e39782dec.png

TL:DR From 1 baddy to another, I like my object 140 more than my 62a b/c Extra gun depression is actually a lot of shots + slight agility

I uh.. heard stuff about the differences in frontal armor but I dont really care/rely on that at all so.... ask the more better and informed players ;)

Am I the only fucking idiot that gets penned in the t62a's cupola or turret ring? Like last night a fucking 430 penned my cupola while i bounced his. Goddamnit it happens too much for my likings