Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gatortribe

XM551 Sheridan - Tubby Leopard

35 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

And this game..well the first shot lets you know how its gonna go. http://wotreplays.eu/site/3816520#westfield-crabeatoff-xm551_sheridan

RNGesus, be praised! All those fires too! Then you don't pen the back of the Grille. :brokenheart:

52 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

Here are some things you can do with a Sheridan in direct fire arty mode http://wotreplays.eu/site/3816506#winterberg-crabeatoff-xm551_sheridan Basically 3k damage to JpE-100s on deck splashes.

That poor first JPE. Why didn't he just leave?! Too bad you didn't get the double-fire RNG like the Westfield game.

Also, I like how you would light him a little bit ahead of being ready to shoot and back off. That prevents him from blind firing you when his 6th sense goes off. Well played.

I'm going to grind out the T49 and get one of these after I finish my last Object 260 mission. I'd be pretty close if there wasn't this weird issue where you can turn on accelerate crew training for non-elite tier 9 light tanks (e.g. T-54 LW). Unbeknownst to me, I had that on for a long time after the patch.

Ok, time for some more demos on how I/we abuse pubbies with the XM551 Derpidan

Like its/my namesake Gen. Sheridan, we scorch the earth (when we miss) and the asses of our enemies. But also their faces with our superior non penetration reliant DPM. 

Abbey is unconditionally one of the worst LT maps in the game. Its just 3 lanes (the 6-7 might as well not exist), all face brawls. That said, you can make things work when you fling high alpha HE and are patient. http://wotreplays.eu/site/3818276#abbey-crabeatoff-xm551_sheridan We are the arty in this match. 

Airfield is another really awful map. Plays out the same every time, no flanking chances, all approaches covered by long TD fields of fire. However, I developed a tactic that I am now sharing with you - become a bird...build a nest http://wotreplays.eu/site/3818281#airfield-crabeatoff-xm551_sheridan You'll need some trial and error to learn how to not get shot back, as its not always this easy, but this lets you at least influence the match without trying to play peek-a-poke middle with your soft turret and long aim-time. 

Redshire is a good map for the USA LTs. Flanks, bushes, hills, space. That said, tier X battles are frontal grindfests with high alpha TDs locking down most lanes, and huge superheavy pushes with tons of HP to whittle down. Usually I take the bush @dualmaster333 is in, but its nice to share with your Chode Friend, so I take up a second position. And then I just slam HE at nerds http://wotreplays.eu/site/3818285#redshire-crabeatoff-xm551_sheridan Nary a penning shot, but 16s reload and good concealment mean that I'm tracking, breaking modules and being a pain in the ass. Like arty, minus the inability to drive, spot, or know which cap circle is which. 

Mines camps, especially the south ones, can be hard to break. See how dual take the hill, and slowly work down the map. I made some bad pokes on the E5, but he was badly nullified by our positions. Then when we can't spot their TD bushwankers, we have just enough hp and speed to zip up the 8 line - and I proceed to deliver what I can only imagine is one of the most irritating and humiliation chodeslaps ever to their IS-7 http://wotreplays.eu/site/3818289#mines-crabeatoff-xm551_sheridan From there, its just clean-up/yolo. We break hard camps with direct fire arty, like regular arty, but you know by being TALENTED shitlords, instead of talent-less shitlords. 

So again to try to answer @Canadian_Reaper...this is some highlights, but its more tactical than GIFworthy. Theres prob some replays from yesterday that have a nice GIF potential, but those don't always stick in my mind like the good play games. But the way the chicken and egg thing goes...the better you play, the more GIF worthy moments you're like to have (because you've opened up the map, you're playing coordinated with your Chode Friend, and because you have some HP to trade)

edit: 

One more demo on harassment. Admittedly, with a standard fire tank, this might have been better due to my long reload, and the fact that I had the sides of mostly US tanks. But its still funny, and good tactics. http://wotreplays.eu/site/3818309#tundra-crabeatoff-xm551_sheridan another 3200 dmg game with no pens. 

Oh and I forgot this one also, probably the best of the day in terms of highlights. http://wotreplays.eu/site/3818294#arctic_region-crabeatoff-xm551_sheridan Tsaikos24 and I were playing together for the first time, and at the beginning he asks me if the tank is good. It is of course not good, only fun. Then see what those stupid assed STBs and their 50B wingman do. Its hilarious. And fuck off camping Strv 103B. 

As always, comments and questions welcome. You know I like to talk about chodes and butts. 

I am unironically awful with the Derpidan compared to the T49 for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread already - Soloing sucks and mistakes get punished much harder.

Still put a girlcrew in it though, kek.  I used to have the T49 crew in it and the girl crew in the T49 when I first got the Sheridan but once I realized it's not as fun to solopub in I switched them back.  Used gold both times because fuck credit retraining two 4-skill crews.

A Chode$tarz Guide to Dealing with Superheavies

This is applicable to both the Sheridan and T49, although the Sheridan has a number of advantages that make it better than the T49 for dealing with the current heavy armor meta. Specifically, the Sheridan has a signficant advantage in the aim time, accuracy, and reload departments. It can more often afford to aim shots, it can more often actually hit where you are aiming, and you can do it much more often. However, the concept is perfectly applicable to the T49 (and really any time you fire HE).

When to shoot super heavies?
Basically, when there is nothing better to be doing. I will still look for flanking opportunities and chances to go after their softies first. But given the prevalence of heavies these days and the fantastic map design, you will regularly find yourself trying to gun down heavies.

What are we trying to accomplish?
First and foremost, to be annoying. That stupid Maus goes through all the work of angling nicely off that corner, bouncing all your stupid teammate's HEAT shells, until some annoying bastard (you) comes along and starts chipping his health down a couple hundred at a time. You asshole.

I see there being three useful types of shots to take. The first is to just try and hit the enemy; it's not worth trading shots so you may not have the time to aim. Let 'er rip and take whatever damage you might get (always amusing to roll a -16). Second, go for a tracking shot. A tracking shot at the right moment can lead to an enemy being annihilated by your team. Our 152mm of Glory is rather excellent for that. Aim for a lower plate near the track. However, many times a track shot won't accomplish much and in this case we want to aim our shot to do the maximum amount of damage. That's what the rest of this guide is about.

HE Basics
When an HE shell contacts a surface but doesn't penetrate, rays are drawn from the point of impact to all armored surfaces within the blast radius (direct line of sight only). The damage done is a function of shell alpha, raw armor thickness (angling doesn't matter), and distance from the point of impact to the armored surface. This is calculated for all surfaces within the blast radius (I think) and the highest possible damage option is selected. Long story short, the goal when shooting HE is to hit directly or as close as possible to the thinnest armor on an enemy tank to generate the maximum damage. Simple enough right?

The Superheavy's Weakness
Heavy armor all around blah blah blah. Except for:

rNJtRzx.png

On pretty much every tank the engine deck/hull roof is very thin. This can lead to some awkward moments for tanks like an IS-4 which has a relatively low hull; it's piddly 30mm can be overmatched by tanks next to it with ease. On a Maus, which otherwise has 185mm+ plates, the engine deck is a piddly 50mm. So if you shoot the engine deck you will do significantly more damage than hitting any of the (much thicker) armor on the tank.

Well, that's great, but you usually can't shoot the engine deck directly. So what do we do? Simple, we try to hit as close to the deck as possible. Here is our friendly Maus who is nicely angled off the side of a building. But he is still exposing a contact surface that is very close to the engine deck; so we aim for that spot...

HJXfhT4.png

By hitting at the base of the turret our point of impact is very close to the engine deck so our damage will be very close to what it would be if we shot the engine deck directly. For example, hitting the turret 0.5m above the deck will still do 86.4% of the damage compared to hitting the deck directly (for a standard Sheridan HE shell). I call this "decking" and it is surprisingly effective against heavies. Facing down a Maus from the front it is possible to do 350+ damage per shot and in a way that no amount of angling can save them. Other bonuses include the possibility of critical crew damage or engine fires.

While doing 350 damage every 16 seconds is far from exceptional DPM, it seems to have a psychological impact on the average pubbie. The average player doesn't know how to push to win or spend their hitpoints effectively, so they will take their E-100 to a corner and play angle games because they think that is being good. Taking 2-3 HE shells will drive them off and prevent them from ever pushing forward.

Of course, the effectiveness is magnified if you have a ChodeFriend doing the same thing. Letting loose a salvo that does 700+ in a second seems to terrify the confused pubbie. If they don't back off, you can do it 16 seconds later and suddenly that big fat heavy is missing half its health.

Below is the armor model for a bunch of the tier 10 heavies. I was surprised that even the IS-7 has a thin deck that is accessible frontally. I also found it interesting that the Type 5 heavy has a 75mm deck which explains why even good shots on it do less damage.

E-100

r3gDEut.png

VK7201/PzVII

greegmf.png

Maus

UY2DR83.png

JPE-100

M9ulAo4.png 

IS-4

VYQPkAI.png 

IS-7

yNRDa6L.png

Type 5

seyW7fJ.png

T110E5

XMysnos.png

What about shooting Gold HE?
Gold HE increases the splash radius from 3.66 to 5.11. This increases the damage from a non-direct hit. Is the bonus damage enough to be worth the huge credit cost? I wasn't sure so I decided to do the math:

From the wiki:
actualDamage=0.5*nominalDamage*(1-ImpactDistance/SplashRadius)-1.1*nominalArmorThickness*SpallCoefficient

The important part is the factor (1-ImpactDistance/SplashRadius). As your splash radius increases the damage reduction for distance decreases. This is easiest to see when you put it into a spreadsheet:

nyKLvlw.png

As you can see in the table, the splash radius only begins to matter when you hit far away from the thin armor section. For direct hits it doesn't matter at all. Gold only gets you 35 more damage when hitting a meter away. So the question is whether you regularly hit far away from the weak armor. In my experience decking E-100s (which has the 40mm deck armor shown in the table) I typically roll in the 350-400 damage range. This means that firing gold HE would only increase damage by 10-20 which is miniscule.

Note that the damage increase from splash radius is independent of armor thickness so the damage increase is the same for 30/40/50mm decks.

Based on this math, I see no value in firing gold HE for deck shots unless it is an absolutely game clutching moment.

Now, enjoy these gifs of super heavies getting abused by light tanks:

By3Cfox.gif

PUEGzRX.gif

UBmgJSV.gif

ZE39rni.gif

So.... @dualmaster333, @CraBeatOff... just saw this from 9.20.1 notes:

"Insufficient firepower made it hard for the XM551 Sheridan to make an impact on maps where spotting is of little value. The top tier American gets a bigger alpha for the 105-mm Lightweight Gun with no changes to the reload speed. ... "

Thought this might interest you. XD

25 minutes ago, kreigermann said:

So.... @dualmaster333, @CraBeatOff... just saw this from 9.20.1 notes:

"Insufficient firepower made it hard for the XM551 Sheridan to make an impact on maps where spotting is of little value. The top tier American gets a bigger alpha for the 105-mm Lightweight Gun with no changes to the reload speed. ... "

Thought this might interest you. XD

Eh, 360->390, still just a shitty Leo1. Know what also goes 65, has low pen and accuracy, but also has dpm, and occasional armor? 30B. What's a little camo and VR for 3x the firepower. As @woe2you said on page 1, play the Sheridan because you want to KV-2 teleport!

I wouldn't say no to minor handling buffs on the 152 though. The fact that the T49 gun has bettered soft stats is curious. Another 0.05 off the turret bloom and hull bloom to match T49 would be grand.

45 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

Eh, 360->390, still just a shitty Leo1. Know what also goes 65, has low pen and accuracy, but also has dpm, and occasional armor? 30B. What's a little camo and VR for 3x the firepower. As @woe2you said on page 1, play the Sheridan because you want to KV-2 teleport!

I wouldn't say no to minor handling buffs on the 152 though. The fact that the T49 gun has bettered soft stats is curious. Another 0.05 off the turret bloom and hull bloom to match T49 would be grand.

Ugh, you know what, I read 105 and my work-addled brain thought 152, sorry 'bout that. Reading comprehension fail after 11h at work

To follow up on the post above about decking HTs, this is how you can win Malinovka hill vs the best hulldown tank in the game, and a German superheavy. Shout outs to @rev01ution and Eddie_Benz!

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3831369#malinovka-crabeatoff-t49

And the next game, showing off the Ruinberg tactics of splashy splashy http://wotreplays.eu/site/3831375#ruinberg-crabeatoff-t49

Its actually so much fun to land arty those tanks down that way. Of course getting butts and side shots into Pattons for 900 plus a fire is fun, but I can only imagine how those super heavies are reacting as they get shut down by the creeping death of T49 derp haha

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0