Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wessmen

EU scrub needs help with WR.

3 posts in this topic

Hello WLs. 

Lets make a long story short - I have a trouble winning games even with "OK" recents. The only tanks I have a WR that matches is OP tanks such as Patriot and Defender. I usually got good WR in sub 50-70 games but after that it goes to total shit sometimes even with "good stats". Such tank is T-10, 2200 avg damage but still shitlord 53%. 

I dont know what to do. Im trying to get early damage and die or Im alive alone trying to scrape up some damage. Trying to look at map and isolate targets but I cant get it to work.

Im trying to hang out with the big boys in forum channel but my shitlord WR doesnt scream "platoon with me".

Anyone willing to hate life and help me in some way? You can salt me all you want and really rub it in my face because I must be stupid.

Im a whore :pedo:

If you actually don't know how to win, start with slow ass heavies. Winning in them is about as easy as it'll get. They can easily pull 70% solo and the fact is that they're slow enough to limit your positioning decisionmaking down to a minimum. Positioning and deployment is everything, I'd argue that in the long run they're more important than mechanical skills and micromanagement (even though the latter can help you through some rough spots).

• Just think real hard going into a battle, you have 30 seconds to decide where to go and this is where you should have decided. Never go anywhere on routine, always double check it. Otherwise you'll end up being overrun because a normal play that usually works doesn't because things didn't play out like normal = consistency gets thrown out the window.
  • Read your teams lineup and compare it to the enemy team. Easiest way to do it is just to press TAB and you get them lined up by eachother for a better comparison. This is where you decide what areas of the map might be weak/strong and what to capitalize on. You obviously can't predict what every tank will do, but you do have vision on your own team and that information combined with the enemy lineup should give you a decent hint of what areas you can win, and what areas to avoid. Almost all maps have flanks that don't really relate to eachother more than that they lead to enemy bases. So playing one side being scared of losing the other is not really a problem until they start closing in. The one problem with heavies and where the real top players stand out is that they see it early enough to catch it in action, while the good ones might see it too late most of the time and only get there once they've already dug themselves in and there's much less to capitalize on. 
  • Slow tanks prey on attrition lanes, it might be bigger guns on average, and less damage farms but I'd argue that fighting anything is better than being outrunned by your team and fighting nothing in the faster lanes. (In some maps this obviously doesn't apply, Stalingrad and Windstorm lanes are all slow so it's all about team deployments/lineups and making good decisions rather than being forced into a play you don't want simply because it's the only viable option). A tank that's not able to catch up to current fights is worth about as much as a dead tank until he can get into the engagement, and the later he arrives the less impact he'll have. 
  • The biggest reason for slow armoured HTs being the easiest is as I said, the fact that your positioning needs to be good from the get go, and being forced into that black and white type of play is much easier to grasp than the much more fluid grey of lights and mediums. Once you start positioning well earlier, with every break from taking fire/firing you get you should think of what to do next, and what's happening around you. If you see 2 enemy tanks fighting 7 allies on the other side of the map, it's pretty safe to assume that they're going to take it. But it also means there are 5 tanks from the enemy team are somewhere else, and you need to take that into consideration when deciding what to do next. 
  • Cutting corners. Everybody does it, whether it's crossing a little too much to the left and take an extra shot for it, or a trade you obviously wouldn't win. Good thing with heavies is that they get punished the absolute minimum for this out of all classes. Armour is a real thing, even in gold spam meta. Cutting corners is necessary to be able to catch up, and the difference is that you're now doing it on purpose and most importantly with reason. An example would perhaps to skip out on the two shots of damage in the 8 line of Himmels at the endgame and driving straight through the middle square to make it in time for the last cleanup on the rails if you think there's more there. In an endgame this won't change outcomes of games, but once you start seeing these situations in early and mid game, they most certainly will. The earlier you get to an engagement the more power you have to influence it, and by doing good in this, you'll not only end up with better games, your winrate can go up like 5% on this alone. The earlier you start seeing things happening and react to them, the better you'll perform. 
  • Fighting dead flanks. This is something the damagewhore in me can't really give up on yet. If I'm losing my flank, or about to win it but losing literally everywhere else. The damage I do on this flank is pretty much useless. The tanks there aren't doing anything useful but the enemy tanks on the other side are. The productive enemy tanks need to die, while the ones stuck being useless can be dealt with later. In slow heavies this can be tricky and you have to see it really early to be able to counter it right and it's probably one of the hardest things to get right when your mobility allows for very little wiggleroom in your deployments. Good thing is as I said, little wiggleroom means having to make right decisions or they don't work. 

In mediums and lights this becomes alot more abstract, because you play on mobility and much less on lanepushing and more on enemy mistakes such as pokes, overcommitments and bad deployments (catching a tank for free pretty much). But they also rely much more on vision and constant targets, meaning you have to keep moving to do what you need to. And while you can push a side aggressively in russian mediums etc, most people have no idea what to do next. They won this side, what next? Any good enemy player would have seen it coming and gone elsewhere, sure the side was an even easier win but everything else will be a harder one. Map control is also pointless if you can't make use of it. It's good for reassurance though, but you can't really capitalize on it in blitzes, you need to keep moving constantly until you hit a point where your impact will be good enough, and that's much harder to keep doing without armour or a big gun. Smaller guns means more exposure and more exposure without armour means your HP is much more valuable, so you can't really start trading until it will start affecting a game outcome. 

If you want I can go on with this subject forever but I think this should be enough to get the hang of the basic metagame that you might have overlooked. 

Thank you for the response. 

Ive tried some parts of that but I dont really know how to put it to use. Im trying to look at composition of the teams but counting meds/heavys and where they likely go is pretty much my level. Level stupid. 

Myself I only use "general locations" for the type of tank Im in or support a flank if its for example weak/outnumbered heavy tanks. Then I try to get a offensive position which sometimes gets me in deep trouble because Im left alone/overextend. 

Other than that I look at the flanks, if Im outnumbered I just try to hold it or push it if we have advantage. 

But if I was doing all the above correctly I wouldnt have this pisspoor WR.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0