Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xWulffx

Patriot's Point Charleston SC

5 posts in this topic

I was in Charleston last week for my nephews graduation a from the Citadel and his Commissioning ceremony as a 2nd Lt in the US Army, and had an opportunity to stop by Patriots Point.  All 3 ships served from WWII well into the Cold war.  Well worth a visit!

USS Yorktown CV10 "The Fighting Lady" plus examples of most the planes from WWII Grumman F6F Hellcat to the F-14A Tomcats and one of it's air groups is credited with sinking the Yamato!

USS_Yorktown_(CVS-10)_at_Patriots_Point_

USS Laffey  DD724 The ship that wouldn't die.  Saw combat action at D-Day and the Pacific. Attacked by almost 100 Japanese bombers, torpedo bombers, and Kamikaze planes while on Radar picket duty on the north coast of Okinawa taking 6-8 bomb hits/near-misses and 6 Kamikaze hits!

USS_Laffey_DD-724_2007.jpg

USS Clamagore SS343 - she's in rough shape and didn't go on board her as I am a rather large fellow ....

USSClamagore112403.jpg

Plus there's a Vietnam war display with a Bell UH-1 Iroquois (nicknamed "Huey") and a Bell AH-1 Cobra.

They also do a guided tour boat to Fort Sumter.

These are stock photos, but will try and post some of the pics I took later ....

been to Charleston a couple times, but never got down to PP...I need to make that happen the next time I am there.

Yorktown looks a lot different than she did in 1945, having been thru 2 conversions...angled flight decks were a post WW2 thing...still, I need to get down there and see her...do they let you wander thru pretty much everything? Or just bridge, flight deck and hanger deck?

great spot, family and I stayed overnight with our boy scout troop -- now that was cool!

...and there is an INTRUDER on the flight deck!

4 hours ago, capt-jay said:

been to Charleston a couple times, but never got down to PP...I need to make that happen the next time I am there.

Yorktown looks a lot different than she did in 1945, having been thru 2 conversions...angled flight decks were a post WW2 thing...still, I need to get down there and see her...do they let you wander thru pretty much everything? Or just bridge, flight deck and hanger deck?

You can got through most areas on the Yorktown and the Laffey ... below decks everything Its really cool.

3 hours ago, Invictus said:

great spot, family and I stayed overnight with our boy scout troop -- now that was cool!

...and there is an INTRUDER on the flight deck!

Yup Flight of the Intruder ...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0