publord

Hate Playing the Benson

27 posts in this topic

I really used to like this ship, but now I can't stand it.

I think its a combination of the bad MM and the way I've gotten spoiled by Fletcher & co. I have problems either landing torps, or getting in a position to land torps due to radar outranging the 55kt potato torps

Could use some advice

Well, I've noticed that as a tier 8 getting uptiered to 10 is pretty common. And there are a lot of ships with radar and sonar that can make getting into position unspotted challenging. Probably the first thing to do is when loading into the match see what ships the enemy team has that are threats to you, like a Des Moines for example and try to figure out what their opening play might be. It's also helpful to know what their radar range is and plan around that. When pushing caps have an escape plan ready to go incase it gets too hot. I try to include solid cover in that plan because it's satisfying to see them blow their radar and be able to see you but not hit you. You can also mislead them about your intentions while detected by going one way and then switching back once you drop from detection. Sometimes they might chase you which can be a good set up for a torpedo ambush or kiting them into a blob of friendly ships.

Hope this helps!

Rushing the cap AND opening fire immediately at the start is a pretty sure way to get deleted nowadays. I basically play the (higher tier) USN DD's like the IJN now. Spot, torp, smoke friendlies, and pew pew pew when reasonable. Much better at gunfights than the IJN though.

Grinding the Benson currently, had my best game in it a couple days ago. Heavily T10 match, took out their Yammy and a Montana, kept their Moskva spotted, and ran down the Shimakaze trying to flank and get behind us. Top of the board in a T8. :)

Mostly, it's just trying to stay alive and keep increasing the amount of leverage you will exert, I think. Those early cap brawls are a waste of HP, bait them into shooting while you torp, run, break detect, and let your team drop the hammer on them.

I hated the Benson from the get go bc I am a torp person and 55knots is just awful. Also Fletcher feels like two tiers higher. Kept it for ranked though bc WG can't release a prem DD at tier VIII (Lo Yang doesn't count bc a prem ship that needs a dedicated captain defeats the reason to have it in the first place, at least for me).

8 months ago approximately, you could cap and out brawl most any DD in the Benson. With radar, spotter planes and sonar as well as many accurate long range shooting CAs, early capping is very dangerous in any ship.

So my play style is changing with the meta to prevent the red team from capping. I am trying to learn how to contest caps by spotting and torping likely choke points. Early capping seems impossible unless red is asleep or has abandoned the cap.

1 hour ago, Jarkorsis said:

8 months ago approximately, you could cap and out brawl most any DD in the Benson. With radar, spotter planes and sonar as well as many accurate long range shooting CAs, early capping is very dangerous in any ship.

So my play style is changing with the meta to prevent the red team from capping. I am trying to learn how to contest caps by spotting and torping likely choke points. Early capping seems impossible unless red is asleep or has abandoned the cap.

Yup, you said it straight - the only ship I see yolo cap anymore is the Khab with heal, they just don't give a rat's ass ....

40 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Yup, you said it straight - the only ship I see yolo cap anymore is the Khab with heal, they just don't give a rat's ass ....

Even with the recent nerfs the Khab is still pretty deadly against other DDs with it's fire power and troll armor. I don't make the mistake anymore of "surely my Shimakaze or Fletcher with full health can end this Khab with only 3K hp." the amount of shells that shatter on the Khab vs the raw DPM the Khab can do in return to your ship make this a highly risky proposition!

3 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

Even with the recent nerfs the Khab is still pretty deadly against other DDs with it's fire power and troll armor. I don't make the mistake anymore of "surely my Shimakaze or Fletcher with full health can end this Khab with only 3K hp." the amount of shells that shatter on the Khab vs the raw DPM the Khab can do in return to your ship make this a highly risky proposition!

Yeah, you need a high rof cruiser to put those zombies down, preferably a Des Moines that can pop radar on it when it runs and drops smoke.

Not seeing many German DD's or the alternate Russky tier 10 Grozovoi in high tier battles. 

20 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

My sample size might be too small (65 games), but that wasn't my experience. I ended up with a 61,54 % win rate and a survival rate of 58 % (all solo). From my experience you can still often contest early cap's, if you pay attention to the map and roughly know radar ranges.  Often cruisers arrive too late to radar. If hostiles contest the cap I try to stay aware and try to disengage before shit hits the fan, if a radar cruiser is approaching.

Disclaimer: This is on EU. I assume that US radar cruisers might be more prevailent on NA.

Lots of soviet CA's with their 11.7 km radar. On NA its the BB players that chia snipe. Most of the CAs are in effective fire range, but using stealth waiting for targets. Even Khabs wont cap early. This is in T8-T10 matches. (usually T9/10)

T8 matches are an odd mix of ships from t6 to t8. (Lots of Belfasts)

yeah on NA it isn't unusual to have CAs hot on the heels of their DDs supporting early caps. That's probably the most dangerous moment as a DD because if you're team isn't supporting you correctly you could easily have 3+ ships lobbing shells your way. Of course the flipside is possible too; last night I got an early advantage over the enemy Fletcher at C on Two Brothers because his supporting ships were too far away and he was forced to withdraw with about 2/3rds of his health gone. His next attempt at capping I easily finished him without taking much damage in return.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:06 AM, Jarkorsis said:

Yeah for the most part I enjoy the Sims more because its MM deals with less radar + hydro. You can use the guns all day in those conditions.

I do well in Fletcher and Gearing because their fast torps can still play around the radar bubble of ~10km in high tier. 

I think I'll just retire it until ranked since it just isn't fun in T10 MM

I still love mine and play it the same way that I always have (essentially Fletcher Lite), but what do I know, I basically never solo anymore.

15 hours ago, map381 said:

I hate the Mahan solo...

That's because the Mahan has stinky detection range that gets you outspotted and killed more than is comfortable. The Benson doesn't have that issue thankfully.

It looks like DD's are becoming an endangered species at all tiers. I see many games with 2 or less DD's per side. I think this is a function of radar, sonar, and people learning how to shoot into smoke one way or another. The DD's are being replaced by CV's and BBs mostly with a few more CA's. I see lots of British CL's at all tiers. The air pollution meta is real. I am seeing Minotaur divisions at T10 with single Minotaurs on either team.

Carrying your own islands around is fun.

Well, I think DDs have experienced a slight decline in representation, however, that might have more to do with the Bismarck campaign then a meta shift. Some of the missions are just easier to complete with different ship classes. Hence the big uptick in BBs in the queue. But as someone that plays a fair amount of DDs I don't mind being one of two or one of three DDs in a game. It's definitely easier to evade detection and plan ambushes with fewer DDs.

On 5/26/2017 at 0:28 PM, Rodrigopine said:

Well, I think DDs have experienced a slight decline in representation, however, that might have more to do with the Bismarck campaign then a meta shift. Some of the missions are just easier to complete with different ship classes. Hence the big uptick in BBs in the queue. But as someone that plays a fair amount of DDs I don't mind being one of two or one of three DDs in a game. It's definitely easier to evade detection and plan ambushes with fewer DDs.

Mostly this.  These Bismarck missions have 40+ BB's in que, with single digits of everything else.  And I like having fewer DD's when I'm playing my DD's.   

That said, I think there is some merit to theories about DD's declining.  More flavor than just having the Shim and Gearing to aim for at 10, 11k Russian radar, hydro on BB's have both contributed to declining torp boats.  Longer lasting smoke on Brit CL's has to some extent replaced friendly US DD's dropping a pile of smoke for friendlies to sit in.  

On 27/05/2017 at 1:58 AM, Rodrigopine said:

Well, I think DDs have experienced a slight decline in representation, however, that might have more to do with the Bismarck campaign.....

This until the DD playerbase recognise the 96BB Q with 2DDs are pied piper to their torpedos...

8 hours ago, 33nfidel said:

This until the DD playerbase recognise the 96BB Q with 2DDs are pied piper to their torpedos...

I'd be playing DDs all day erryday, but the Bismark missions favour BBs soooo, BBs it is. 

Do need to de-stockify the Mahan and Benson at some point though.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:44 AM, 33nfidel said:

100% true for me. I would say a good chunk of the missions I completed with the Shima because there's just so much juicy BB HP on the board and a lot of these players don't main BBs so they do silly things like sail predictably or repair single fires. Also a lot of BBs parking in Minotaur/Neptune smoke helps. :)

I finally figured out that I wasn't enjoying it in 3-mans. Still having fun solo, even uptiered

The expectation to be SmokeBot Mk 7 really drags down the experience

On 5/22/2017 at 7:16 PM, Mesrith said:

I still love mine and play it the same way that I always have (essentially Fletcher Lite), but what do I know, I basically never solo anymore.

Can confirm, spotted last night in a three man unicum div, driving the Benson as bait.

9 minutes ago, cheereereerios said:

Can confirm, spotted last night in a three man unicum div, driving the Benson as bait.

I saw Mesrith and Co. last night too but he was driving a Tirpitz. :)

Mesrith is almost always in a division.