BiggieD61

Ranked Season 7: Back to 6?

153 posts in this topic

I'll be starting at rank 16, which leaves me in the same dilemma as some of the above: Which ship to start in? 

I have been planing on finishing my Fubuki grind through this season of ranked along with retraining my Steven Seagal from the Colorado to the NC. I do have access to virtually every other silver T6 though, but I don't believe in trying a large number of ships myself. Instead I normally do some research, pick a few recommened ships and try to learn 1-2 ships in particular, which yields better results. Currently I'm tempted to start at the Fubuki to get into the flow and then level Steven afterwards. What are you guys plans?

I've become an old fart with two small kids, a house and a job, so I'm not sure that I think the camo rewards are worth the effort. I guess that I'd might dip into the 10-6 bracket, but I'm not going to break a mouse every other session due to the sheer stupidity of team mates or my own short comings.

After a look at the map I don't think that DDs have such a huge impact this season.

The caps seem right next to the spawn points and only two caps means each team takes one automatically with not much contesting going on.

Shinonome is a mixed bag. Guns are pretty good but 8km torps mean that if the other side has a Fubuki the Fubuki can torp easily while screening the fleet and spotting the Shinonome repeatedly before the latter can come into torp range.

Also I think that Ruyio will be really strong, at least initially. The only ship that has dank AA is the Cleveland, all the rest can bei dropped easily (though 2-3 Bayerns giving each other suppoort can be painful).

It's not about the Ryujo. I mean, yes, it's better than the independence, but that's not what counts. Carriers are so binary that it becomes a completely personal decision. Are you going to be the better carrier player more often than you're not? Go for it. Because as soon as you're not, you're actively hurting your own chances.

I'm also starting lowish – I reckon I'll play the Dunkerque to start with, just because it'll be fun ships and I won't be able to play it once things get serious.

I'll probably start with the Fuso and the Shinonome since BBs and DDs have a bit more carry potential based on how I play than that of CAs or CVs.

Last night I played just tier 6s as a refresher and the Shinonome guns actually give it a bit of flexibility that might be advantageous in ranked. (Two CVs a side and one of them parked fighters over me, so I was forced to play it as a gun boat until the last phase of the match when I ran down the CVs and had my way with them.)

As for the Fuso the guns are just great. So it really just comes down to positioning properly so you don't get focused. (I used hard cover last night to keep my exposure limited to 1-2 ships at a time. With proper angling I didn't take much damage from them. The bulk of the damage I took was from Kaga torpedoes.)

I played two quick matches in my Anshan this morning - they were annoying to be sure.  Both times campy BB players parked so far back that they couldn't accurately hit the targets being lit for them.  Lots of people sitting like idiots in smoke gave me 4 smoke torp hits, but also cost our team a full health Shino in a match we could have won. 

Anshan is workable and will drive off IJN DD's if they are not closely supported by tier 6 cruisers.

Had two games today, both in BBs as the carry potential is higher as others have said.

Finding the Arizona slightly better than the Warspite due to the better range and tankiness, although the Warspite is a much better brawler plus can overmatch.

14 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

Both times campy BB players parked so far back that they couldn't accurately hit the targets being lit for them. 

I played 12 games in the Shinonome last night and a good chunk of the games had BBs sniping from the back line. Typically the team with the more aggressive BBs won. On the flipside I played 3 games in BBs and in 2 of those matches we had DDs that sucked at scouting. Luckily the match that occurred in the New Mexico I had good back up from friendly BBs/CV and was able to pull off a successful push that carried the match.

Played 8 games and lost 5 - played Fubuki and Arizona. My god people are bad at this. The random decisions which teams make almost made my head explode. I enjoyed last season, but I'm currently not sure about this one.

Had two teams which went all random mode, and went for the 9-line with the DD leading the way. Had another game, where we were up 4 vs. 2 and two team mates just went full ham trying to solo their last two ships, which had 60-80 % health. That didn't end well. At that point I had dealth 95k damage and a health amount of spotting in the Fubuki. I ended up 1 vs. 2. Killed the 50 % Anshan, but their 40 % Aoba proved a bridge too far. 

Just hit Rank 11, will play more tonight.

On the bright side of darkness, so far the losses have been obvious from the start. Retarded DD's and cruisers make themselves evident quickly, so when you go down three ships within 4 minutes, just start piling up some damage and try to decide who to hit with your one torpedo...

Edit: so far ship selection is mixed, and don't think any overwhelming dominant ones.

Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. Even the Dunkek has been mildly amusing. I expect to see more Warspites near the higher tiers though.

33 minutes ago, cheereereerios said:

Edit: so far ship selection is mixed, and don't think any overwhelming dominant ones.

Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. Even the Dunkek has been mildly amusing. I expect to see more Warspites near the higher tiers though.

I agree. I don't think there's a single ship or class that dominates at this point. The biggest factors seem to be whether or not people know what the hell they're doing. There's definitely been some weird maneuvers from boarder humpers to yoloing into the enemy even when we have a 100 point advantage and everything in between.

Mutsu seems very strong, 16 inch of overmatch, not that many CV's, armor is ok vs tier 6's and torps for those close in brawls, plus she gets 26 knots.

13 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

Mutsu seems very strong, 16 inch of overmatch, not that many CV's, armor is ok vs tier 6's and torps for those close in brawls, plus she gets 26 knots.

I haven't seen too many, but the ones I have encountered have been driven incorrectly showing too much side and getting deleted. The stats seems good so it's kind of tragic seeing them sailed in full potato mode. ;)

Played from rank 13 to 10, was easy going but initial experiences:

Gaede is better than expected, feels very much like tier 6 version of Maass. 17.8k hitpoints with captain skill is no joke at tier6 against 13k health japan dd's. Though ship turns pretty damn slow for being dd. Tried both guns but I thing I stay in 150mm guns despite less dpm, feels 128mm guns do far too often zero or low damage HE hits on enemy dd's. Gotta test more.

Warspite also strong, especially its special heal is very strong. Whatever they little it loses in tankiness compared to other bb's is nothing compared to how good its Repair Party is. Gun range is not that big problem with spotter plane and plane allows also shooting smoked Leanders.

Btw did not realize untill now that high rank rewards are pretty bad this seasons, just getting to rank 10 gets most flag rewards and rest is mostly smallish amount of camos until rank 1.

On 1.7.2017 at 9:29 PM, Rodrigopine said:

I haven't seen too many, but the ones I have encountered have been driven incorrectly showing too much side and getting deleted. The stats seems good so it's kind of tragic seeing them sailed in full potato mode. ;)

Yep those torpedo launchers it has are noob trap. They cannot resist trying to torpedo enemy dd's or something and getting side full open to enemy bb's.

4 hours ago, sahtila said:

Btw did not realize untill now that high rank rewards are pretty bad this seasons, just getting to rank 10 gets most flag rewards and rest is mostly smallish amount of camos until rank 1.

Last season's "premium upgrade modules" was worst cuz all but 1 or 2 of them are virtually useless since they take up the spot of regular useful upgrade modules. 

So far I've found cruisers to be very weak this season and overmatching BBs like Warspite and Mutsu the star of the show outside the dominance good DDs as typical for rank mode. 

2 hours ago, ncc81701 said:

Last season's "premium upgrade modules" was worst cuz all but 1 or 2 of them are virtually useless since they take up the spot of regular useful upgrade modules. 

So far I've found cruisers to be very weak this season and overmatching BBs like Warspite and Mutsu the star of the show outside the dominance good DDs as typical for rank mode. 

ST 0.6.8 leaks have the modules getting some changes and also moved around (slot placement) so they could actually be useful.

https://sea-group.org/?p=3128&lang=en

1 hour ago, cheereereerios said:

ST 0.6.8 leaks have the modules getting some changes and also moved around (slot placement) so they could actually be useful.

Or become completely useless in the case of the few mods that make sense to be used. Rudder shift or hydros on my german DDs and I can't even use both Hydro and Speed Boost mod at the same time. GG.

1 hour ago, cheereereerios said:

I like that the upgrades are actually becoming useful, but if the radar upgrade becomes common enough it will be an annoying nerf to DDs.

Donskoi radar duration jumps from 20 sec to 28 sec, and Moskva gets 25 sec -> 35 sec radar duration, which is on par with Baltimore or Missouri.

And Des Moines radar will last for a whopping 56 second.

Edit: deleted Chappy and Belfast reference. Hopefully the upgrades will remain tier restricted.

And Indianapolis getting 9.9 km radar, concealment buff, and possible to stick the radar module on? Hmmmm

edit: lowering concealment by ~1km, should be getting down to around 10.8km. Very interesting...probably wise if they keep tier restrictions on special upgrades so Indy can't essentially have DM radar at T7.

So at this rate... will there be any tier besides 10 where tech tree doesn't get shit on by premiums?

40 minutes ago, publord said:

So at this rate... will there be any tier besides 10 where tech tree doesn't get shit on by premiums?

inb4 Musashi comes in, and is superior than Yammy, somehow.

Fuck me sideways. Due to a server-error earlier today, my stats for this season are already ruined..

qJKRc1j.jpg

Earlier, whenever I got into a battle, the game crashed back to log-in for a period of several hours. There was no indication as to whether the game was working again or not (you could log back in, landed in port, could manipulate stuff, collect containers, change ships, ships-loadout and so on), so I ended up going into battle three times without actually taking part in the battle. Fortunately, these battles did not end in defeat, as apparently the entirety of both teams were kicked from the server. Unfortunately they were counted as a Draw with zero damage dealt and zero XP earned. *grumble*

Musashi will be 1st T10 premium at 1 million free xp to purchase. Same as Yamato with a little more armor. 

This is just my opinion by the way and not real as of today. But tomorrow is a new day. :superserb:

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, publord said:

There are a couple of regular ships left that you don't have to spend real $$$ on, however, there does appear to be a trend that's tilting toward premium ships having in battle advantages compared to their tech tree counterparts. I don't think it's quite pay to win yet but it could easily go that way if WG isn't careful.

I've found since reaching rank 15 that the players are noticably better - you're seeing more bow tanking by BBs rather than broadsiding, and cruisers firing behind islands rather than exposing themselves. 

There's only been one game with a complete shitter who was a rank 15 (took 3 minutes to move, then went solo rather than with the team, sailed broadside etc.).

I'll probably run the Warspite rather than the Arizona from now on, as the ability to overmatch bow tanking BBs is probably more useful than the Arizona's range once the battles are joined, and the heals are way better on the Warspite.