BiggieD61

Ranked Season 7: Back to 6?

153 posts in this topic

Do not stop them. I love it when  threads become autistic.

Ps. I reached rank 12 and stopped. I hate the player base. 

Bayern seem really strong at cap denial. It can soak so much punishment or depending on RNG, deal it with those 380mm guns. Just got a ranked game where the potential damage against my cap sitting Bayern was 2,9 million but I used up all my five heals and survived. Also Fuso deals a ton of damage, especially as carriers are a rarity. I haven´t tried DDs and Cleveland seemed kinda meh as it gets spotted and takes a ton of damage so easily (as so many cruisers do nowadays in this game). Battleships seem OP to me.

The ranked meta this season hinges upon having competent BB AND DD players on a team. One for delivering alpha strikes, the other for providing smoke and spotting. Cruisers are nice for DPM but their fragility means they don't usually live long enough to influence the outcome. (There are obviously exceptions and I'm sure there are some really good CA captains who buck the trend, but they are outliers.)

Don't make me go full Aoba for this season, just to make a point -.-

2 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

Don't make me go full Aoba for this season, just to make a point -.-

All you'd be doing is proving my point about outliers. :)

Destroyers are what have gotten me to Rank one in the previous three seasons, but I admit I am not enjoying them as much this season. I'm less consistent with them and with shorter range torpedoes you really have to get in close to be effective, but that's difficult to do in games of three or more destroyers per team. I have had far more consistent games and better results playing my battleships this season. The Warspite is reliable as always and the Arizona is surprisingly effective against anything except a well angled battleship.

I like that my Warspite's secondary battery outranges all the torpedos it can face. Feels balanced man.

5 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Destroyers are what have gotten me to Rank one in the previous three seasons, but I admit I am not enjoying them as much this season. I'm less consistent with them and with shorter range torpedoes you really have to get in close to be effective, but that's difficult to do in games of three or more destroyers per team. I have had far more consistent games and better results playing my battleships this season. The Warspite is reliable as always and the Arizona is surprisingly effective against anything except a well angled battleship.

Whenever I see that I'll regularly get more than two destroyers in the teams, i stop playing DDs. Especially in the Gaede, getting spotted too often while tons of battleships are around, is just suicidal.

P.S.: I wish they'd have brought in the HP-buff for Gaede already, it dearly needs it.

I think I've found the trashiest / most effective way to play the Dunkerque in Ranked.

oFiSOPH.jpg

n7y7Z7D.jpg

I'd like the thank the people over at The Warships Podcast for giving me this idea. Oh, and yes, I did re-spec my captain to have Demo Expert and used the fire flags. It gave me a 39% fire chance.

11 minutes ago, How_Terrible said:

I think I've found the trashiest / most effective way to play the Dunkerque in Ranked.

Hide contents

oFiSOPH.jpg

n7y7Z7D.jpg

I'd like the thank the people over at The Warships Podcast for giving me this idea. Oh, and yes, I did re-spec my captain to have Demo Expert and used the fire flags. It gave me a 39% fire chance.

So pulling a Johnny Storm? "Flame on!" ;)

I am seeing Fusos doing same, spamming HE... It seems noobish but guess it could be pretty good in times. Fuso often struggless damage to angled enemy bb's, doing quaranteed damage and lighting fires and forcing damage control party could be pretty good really.

That french tier 6 cruiser has also pretty dirty fire chance, something like 15%. Though I thing Budyonny is bit better at that role, less firechance but lot better shell arcs.

Ranked to 5 with Gaede, I thing its again little underestimated. Lot of weaknesses but also hydro is really really good.

Tried also Farragut bit, surely good but cant be assed to gamestyle where you sit in smoke spamming guns. Also, playing Gaede no-one expect me to smoke friendly BB's :P

On 13.7.2017 at 6:04 AM, RollerCoaster47 said:

Fubuki and Hatsuharu has 10km torps, thats enough if you like torping safer. Especially Hatsu which has best concealment, only 6 torps and weak guns but ship still works fine.

5 hours ago, cheereereerios said:

Which guns are you using on the Gaede?

150mm, decent fire chance even without skills. Also _feels_ like their HE does lot better damage on BB's, maybe smaller guns HE shatter more?

Anyone got Tips on running BBs between R5-R1? The meta seems to change quite a bit jumping from R6 to R5 and I've found that whatever worked in R6, doing the same in R5+ and I'll be taking way more damage and dishing out far less in return. 

6 hours ago, ncc81701 said:

Anyone got Tips on running BBs between R5-R1? The meta seems to change quite a bit jumping from R6 to R5 and I've found that whatever worked in R6, doing the same in R5+ and I'll be taking way more damage and dishing out far less in return. 

You've got better players at those ranks. Over time more and more average and some bad players reach those ranks and you can start playing BB's like you do in other ranks. I'd recommend playing a little more conservative at first, wait until you do one of their shops make a mistake and then punish then as quickly as you can. Hopefully getting you team up a shop or two will allow you more freedom to play like you do in other ranks.

17 hours ago, ncc81701 said:

11 hours ago, MntRunner said:

You've got better players at those ranks. Over time more and more average and some bad players reach those ranks and you can start playing BB's like you do in other ranks. I'd recommend playing a little more conservative at first, wait until you do one of their shops make a mistake and then punish then as quickly as you can. Hopefully getting you team up a shop or two will allow you more freedom to play like you do in other ranks.

Yep, I just got to rank 6 so you should have an average yokel getting to your bracket soon! Only five games this weekend - I played three on Saturday, all losses - but kept my star each time. Figured I was pushing my luck. Played two tonight, both wins.

Tomorrow is probably a bust (taking the family and going to tour the USS Edson), so will buckle down on Tuesday. Feeling like Warspite is what I'm going to go with all the way.

6 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

WARBEASTY has made it to the rank 10-6 spread

Oh hell, time for me to hurry up and get out. Wish he would unblock his stats. Curious as to how many games he has needed to fail that high.

He's not actively working against his team in ranked, so that should have helped him.

I got to the cusp of Rank nine 3 times before I finally crossed the threshold.  My worst fall back took me all the way to 11.  I have put the Shino aside for speed issues and swapped in the Anshan - 6 torps versus 9, but the 1.1 k detection range is more effective on non smoked up ships.  Warspite is lovely, going through the bow of Arizona/ New Mexico still garners outrage from the victims.

1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

I have put the Shino aside for speed issues and swapped in the Anshan - 6 torps versus 9, but the 1.1 k detection range is more effective on non smoked up ships.  Warspite is lovely, going through the bow of Arizona/ New Mexico still garners outrage from the victims.

Also plunges nicely through Bayern and Fuso bow on... How do you Anshan though, keep distance in early/mid game?

I am constantly performing bad in Cleveland and getting focused like no tomorrow. Hiding behind islands and taking a million of potential damage is really fun and engaging gameplay, In the meanwhile team either wins or loses but me in a cleveland have no carry potential whatsoever.

After 55 games I think that saving your star if you are top XP is bad for the game meta. I think that a lot of people just sit back (BB players I am looking at you) if they see / feel that the game is lost just to survive long enough to do the most damage. It makes gamemode pretty stale after a while and throws the team aspect of the game out of the window.

Maybe I feel bad about this because I always try to impact the game by going to caps or being in the middle of the fight and if I lose the game I always end up dead. Also taking a lot of potential damage or tanking generally doesn´t seem very rewarding as many of big boys just look the next island to hide behind while you get killed and focused down.

Ok fuck this gamemode. Just got shot 2,8 million potential damage in my Fuso, tanked 96k and team just sit behind one island, half of them incapable to shoot anything and then proceed to lose the game.This is so fuking frustrating shit.